Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 00:14   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Can you detail the time period of extended warranty that you received? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Got an SMS from VW Cochin about extended warranty programs for Polo/Vento. The prices quoted are:

Vento-P: 10599
Vento-D: 11199
Polo-P: 7199
Polo-D: 7899
Old 21st April 2011, 07:48   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Yeah I guess taking the extended warranty makes sense for these european manufacturers. Just to be on the safer side.

Also has anybody got his / her hands on the spare parts list as of now ?
I am thinking of going to the workshop tomorrow, will try and get the list and scan and put it up here
Old 21st April 2011, 08:47   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Has anyone in this forum of Vento owners, found an alternate solution for the central Locking Dud? Each of the accessory shops I visit says they cant do anything about it. I have a 2 year old passenger who's really naughty & incidentally opened the front (left) door from inside, while I was cruising @100+kmph on the highway (inspite of the central lock being engaged). Really had my heart in mouth & my mind shruds with fear everytime I remember that incident. We were just pain lucky to have got away with this. VW has done well with creating such a fast (enough) car, but if I dont feel as secure as in my old Alto, with my kid on front side seat, this is siply not done.
The same feature (hazard) is available in the Scorpio too, just 2 slight pulls open the central locking. My old Wagon R was better with only the driver side handle enabled to unlock all 4 door while ignition is on.

I can understand your situation having a 4 year old of my own who likes to occupy the front seat, but is amicable to occupy the last row when on long drives. Thankfully he has also been trained to open the door:

Engine Off -> Music Off -> Ask Permission ->Open Door
Old 21st April 2011, 10:32   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Does it mean 2+2 years?
What about kms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I just rang up VW Cochin and was told that the pricing was for 2 years/100,000km extended warranty and existing customers can opt for it till August 31st.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 10:32   #1955
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJames View Post
Has anyone in this forum of Vento owners, found an alternate solution for the central Locking Dud? Each of the accessory shops I visit says they cant do anything about it. I have a 2 year old passenger who's really naughty & incidentally opened the front (left) door from inside, while I was cruising @100+kmph on the highway (inspite of the central lock being engaged). Really had my heart in mouth & my mind shruds with fear everytime I remember that incident. We were just pain lucky to have got away with this. VW has done well with creating such a fast (enough) car, but if I dont feel as secure as in my old Alto, with my kid on front side seat, this is siply not done.
Well James I guess it was entirely your fault not that of VW

Kids have to be in the Rear ONLY, when with family as well as when alone. Rear doors can be child locked and that feature must be enabled on seat behind driver permanently and also on the other side if the Child is alone in the rear or is taking the window seat.

Preferably kids upto 18kgs must be in child seats (but keeping them in the rear is the single biggest and best thing that you can do.)

A double pull opening the doors is a safety feature and a nice one at that for emergencies, but it is intended for adults, for childern you have the rear seat ONLY.

The front seat besides being closer to a frontal impact and front glass also has the front airbag and that is a real dangerous thing in case of an accident for childern. Even adults need to wear the seatbelts to be safe. For a child Airbags will not work nor will seatbelts unless one is in a car seat in the rear seat.

Yes childern insist on coming ahead, but at that time one needs to park the car by side of the road and then get the child back into the rear.

In most countries worldwide the fine for travelling with childern in the front seat is very high.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:17   #1956
BHPian

There is an "Off" button with a car symbol at the bottom of the driver side seat belt holder. Checked the manual but couldn't find anything about it. Does anybody know what this button is all about?
Old 21st April 2011, 12:06   #1957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
There is an "Off" button with a car symbol at the bottom of the driver side seat belt holder. Checked the manual but couldn't find anything about it. Does anybody know what this button is all about?
Thats to switch off the trunk lights
Old 21st April 2011, 13:35   #1958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svis View Post
That's to deactivate the interior surveillance alarm system while towing the vehicle.
I tested the interior surveillance system once. Locked myself inside the car and asked my dad to lock. I moved inside the car and the alarm was activated. I pressed this button and it stopped. It's basically to deactivate it when not needed but automatically gets switched on when the car is started.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:50   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
That's to deactivate the interior surveillance alarm system while towing the vehicle.
I tested the interior surveillance system once. Locked myself inside the car and asked my dad to lock. I moved inside the car and the alarm was activated. I pressed this button and it stopped. It's basically to deactivate it when not needed but automatically gets switched on when the car is started.
this is really dumb. Why did VW provide a passive switch which anyone (Evena thief) can use to shut of the interior surveillance and rob the car at his convinience.

An active feature like Valet mode that can be enabled by an authorised person (Person with remote) could have been provided.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:24   #1960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
this is really dumb. Why did VW provide a passive switch which anyone (Evena thief) can use to shut of the interior surveillance and rob the car at his convinience.

An active feature like Valet mode that can be enabled by an authorised person (Person with remote) could have been provided.
This feature has been provided in a case when the driver accidentally locks the child inside. So the child's movement will activate the alarm. This is what VW had to say.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:08   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This feature has been provided in a case when the driver accidentally locks the child inside. So the child's movement will activate the alarm. This is what VW had to say.

So if the alarm accidentally rings then you can use the remote to shut it down (Like any other car remote). Why do we need an additional button to stop the alarm. What prevents a thief from stopping the alarm. Nothing.

I fail to see the logic given by VW here.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:11   #1962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
So if the alarm accidentally rings then you can use the remote to shut it down (Like any other car remote). Why do we need an additional button to stop the alarm. What prevents a thief from stopping the alarm. Nothing.

I fail to see the logic given by VW here.
I swear. I actually dont remember whether it was me who stopped the alarm. Might be my dad with the remote. Maybe this button is to deactivate the alarm while towing. My mistake maybe.
Old 21st April 2011, 18:58   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Kids have to be in the Rear ONLY, when with family as well as when alone. Rear doors can be child locked and that feature must be enabled on seat behind driver permanently and also on the other side if the Child is alone in the rear or is taking the window seat.

Preferably kids upto 18kgs must be in child seats (but keeping them in the rear is the single biggest and best thing that you can do.)

A double pull opening the doors is a safety feature and a nice one at that for emergencies, but it is intended for adults, for childern you have the rear seat ONLY.

The front seat besides being closer to a frontal impact and front glass also has the front airbag and that is a real dangerous thing in case of an accident for childern. Even adults need to wear the seatbelts to be safe. For a child Airbags will not work nor will seatbelts unless one is in a car seat in the rear seat.

Yes childern insist on coming ahead, but at that time one needs to park the car by side of the road and then get the child back into the rear.

In most countries worldwide the fine for travelling with childern in the front seat is very high.
To add to the air bags in the front if deployed in case of front impact can injure and/or suffocate children thus the minimum age specified below which they have to be tucked safely in a child seat at the rear. The days of the slow poke Amby's and Fiats are over .. we now have fast cars which we drive and fast cars all around us , let's practice safety !

P.S - I feel that extremely harsh punishment should be given to those dimwits who drive a car with their kid/infant on their lap - its dangerous however short the drive maybe.
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:52   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Well, I am accepting my share of bash for not training the 2 year old enough. However, the point I intend to make here is, the same travellers have been safer all this while, travelling in much cheaper cars like Alto, Swift & i10 (apart from Corolla). If VW just didnot have the technology/ solution to this, I would have blamed it entirely on me for chosing their car/not paying attention to the central locking system while buying. Almost all the competition has safer locking. VW does have better locking solution in some of their other cars. I am up for buying that, even that means paying a few thousand bucks more. But the ground situation is, it is simply not available, even as an option, within or outside (atleast in my research on this so far).
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:34   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday had went to the workshop and got some works done on the Vento TDi. Got the engine oil filled up for free and the headlamps which were tilted towards the left were adjusted for free.
Regarding the low level of the coolant, the works manager at KSM Motors, Navi Mumbai suggested that it is normal, I thought why did the VW give the max and min level then. He later said for your satisfaction he would have it filled with normal water. I asked him how can he say that the water content is less or the coolant. He then told that he has a machine for the same purpose and will have it checked. As I was looking around the workshop a person comes up with drinking water for us and in a matter of second the works manager puts some water upto the max level of the coolant bottle and I was like, there you go all the hard work goes in drain. Dad said let it be, let them do it their way and later we will have it our way.
Another complaint was that the car was drifting towards the left, the works managers asks a person to go for a drive and have it checked out. I too went with him and after a certain distance the person agreed the car was drifting towards the left only slightly. I told him it becomes a pain while driving onto the expressway as you have to keep adjusting the car and results in shoulder pain.
As it was late afternoon the works manager suggested that we should come next day(Monday) as it would take him atleast 4 hrs to get wheel alignment done. Dad is not free during weekdays so it leaves us with only Saturday as the only option to go to the workshop.
Came to know that the VW is now offering extended warranty on the polo and the vento. Will get the same for my vento, better safe than sorry for the European cars.
So fast forward 1 week the coolant level is back to min level. No leakage it seems that the coolant is less and not the water. Tomorrow Dad will be going to the workshop, got work in college, so wouldn't be able to goto the workshop. Made a list of things to get done.
  1. Wheel alignment.
  2. Coolant to be topped up with coolant only, skeptical about it(will the works manager part with the coolant or give some other theory of his).
  3. Get the RC card of the car.
  4. Get the headlamps adjusted again, not upto the mark after the adjustment.
  5. Get the extended warranty for Vento
Any inputs from you all BHPians will be helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks