Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 11:45   #3286
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
On the OT, for the petrol sedan, I will suggest you to wait a bit more than Jan 2012 (especially if you are aligned towards the VW). The dealer in my place mentioned that Jetta will come with 1.4TSI early 2012. Once the smaller TSI range is in India, who knows, probably they may introduce 1.2TSI in the Vento
Amar Paithankar reported spotting a 1.4 Vento doing the testing rounds awhile back, and there were similar reports of testing of the facelifted Vento around Chakan which will be launched sooner than later.

I can wait till February. Let's see what happens.

(P.S. - Brought our posts to the Vento thread, so that we don't carjack the Jazz thread! )

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-volkswagen_vento_facelift_spied.jpg

2012 Volkswagen Vento Facelift Spied | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Old 21st October 2011, 12:42   #3287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Thanks for the link, Did you see any issues so far?. Did you tried fitting different reverse camera?
So far no issues with the unit. Have been a satisfied customer.The only issue has been the ipod connectivity cable. This is a little loose and the ipod gets disconnected occasionally. I need to procure a new cable.

The reverse camera i purchased , is slightly smaller than the slot(the registation plate light slot) in which its supossed to click fit in. So i have postponed the installation for now. As of now the reverse sensors are more than enough along with help from the wing mirrors.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:52   #3288
BHPian

Finally got the call from the dealer. My car is reaching to him tomorrow. Will be taking the delivey on sunday. Cant wait now..
Old 21st October 2011, 12:54   #3289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocratroy View Post
As far as the insurance is concerned, I get a full waiver on the Insurance (dealer quotes 32k for it) could you please PM me the installer's number if you have it handy? Thanks again!
Get full waiver of Insurance and you would be saving hell lot of money sprucing it up. I've got a corporate discount of 15K and didn't go for any accessories from showroom. All I did is just rolled out vehicle with only Road Tax and discount on Insurance.

I'm not able to PM you the installer details. He is also a TBHpian. EVO Satya. You can refer the installer directory Bangalore

Last edited by Ramsagar : 21st October 2011 at 12:58.
Old 21st October 2011, 13:38   #3290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
Ramsagar, Are you sure you can do it? 15" on 14" rims?

@technocratroy, No you wont be able to "physically" fit a 15" on a 14" rims. You would have to upgrade that too!
Yes, I'm confident. Honda City, Fiesta, Optra all comes with 14" OE tires.

These are best sizes we could go in 15" : 185/55, 195/50, 205/50.
185/55 is the best in 15", but the other sizes will make the ride quality harsh.

These are best sizes we could go in for 14": 185/60, 195/60, 205/55.
195/60 is the best choice. 185/60 is also fine but the tire looks punny.

Yoko C-drives are 4+ in the current market. In exchange with the new Appolls, you wouldn't be loosing.
Old 21st October 2011, 13:45   #3291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Yes, I'm confident. Honda City, Fiesta, Optra all comes with 14" OE tires.

These are best sizes we could go in 15" : 185/55, 195/50, 205/50.
185/55 is the best in 15", but the other sizes will make the ride quality harsh.

These are best sizes we could go in for 14": 185/60, 195/60, 205/55.
195/60 is the best choice. 185/60 is also fine but the tire looks punny.

Yoko C-drives are 4+ in the current market. In exchange with the new Appolls, you wouldn't be loosing.
I am sorry but this is not at all true. You cannot fit a 15" tyre on a 14" rim. Just think about it. A 15" tyre has inner diameter of 15". The 14" rim will have a outer dia of 14". The tire will be loose i.e. it will not sit in the rim at all. 14" tyre needs 14" rims and 15" tyre needs 15" rims. There's no other possibility.

If someone posts the TL and HL variant tyre sizes I will be happy to calculate and give you the guys the right upsize options for both.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 14:21   #3292
Team-BHP Support

Ok it looks TL variant has 175/70-14 as OE size. In that case following sizes will fit if you want to retain the 14" rims.

185/65-14 = marginally lesser in overall diameter (OD)
195/65-14 = slightly larger OD which means your ground clearance will increase as well as better ride comfort.
195/60-14 = almost same as OE size but you will get much better handling.

The HL comes with 185/60-15 tyres i.e. 15" rims.

If you want to upgrade to 15" rims then following sizes will work:

195/55-15
205/55-15 <-- best option
205/50-15
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 16:10   #3293

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post

You can upgrade within the same rim dia to either 185/195 section tyres within the allowable tolerance level to improve both grip as well as braking.

If SQ is the priority, go for aftermarket units like pioneer, JVC, Kenwood etc. You can go for a standard 2 DIN size and install it with a facia adapter without any visible panel gaps. 35k is good enough budget to go for a more than decent set-up. Do browse around the ICE section of this forum and you will see lots of recommendations.

All the best to you.

One small correction. Stock rim size for trendline is 14 inchers and not 15.
Great info there. Thanks a lot. It appears that I will have to stick to 14 inchers then. IMO, upgrading the rims to 15 inch may not be a great idea. Besides, I doubt if I could get hold of 15 inch rim size from VW as the HL comes with 15 inch alloys. But one question I have is, how much of a difference in braking efficiency/handling/ride quality will it make if I go for Yoko C drives that are 14 inchers? Is it worth the upgrade considering that I will still be riding on 14 inch tyres?

Reg the ICE, yes I would look for a decent Pioneer HU without a lot of flashy lights but with great sound quality. I would like to keep my car looking plain jane and I am sure a HU that is too flashy will spoil the look. Love it that way and I believe that is one of Vento's defining characteristics. An under 20k HU will leave me with some money for great component speakers and rear co-axials.
Appreciate the help!
Old 21st October 2011, 16:32   #3294

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Welcome to TeamBHP!

First of all, congrats! That was a wise decision. I agree that TL variants has few important features missing, but IMO the TDI engine on the Vento is simply outstanding and the best in the segment. So the heart is very strong already. Plus the build quality is also top-notch. Do you drive more on highways? Do you love to drive at high speeds(100+)? If yes, then you better buy a car with ABS. If you are going to use this car in the city 70-80% of the times, then its OK not to have ABS on your car. I have been driving a car without ABS for last 22,000 KMs and since I am a sedate driver, never really felt the absence of ABS. IMHO, ABS is a great to have safety feature. Since, you can't stretch your budget at all, you can go ahead with TL variant.

Re ICE, in 35k you can get a very good setup from outside. There is a member called mikon, who bought a TL variant and modded it as per his likings, alloys, ICE and everything. Talk to him and find out more details. This is his thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ce-report.html .

All the best!
Hi Ajay,

Vento TDI just blew me away. I had driven a Laura Diesel before and loved it. I must admit that Vento is right up there in that league. The pull was mind boggling, considering that I had 5 grown ups 3 of whom are 6 feet plus during the TD. It pulled cleanly till 160 KMPH before I had to take a U-turn on the highway.Best part is I never felt nervous any time during the triple digit speed. The moment I parked the car back at the dealer, I knew I had to go for this. The only negative points were a slightly loud engine and an ever-vibrating clutch. I was hoping that the clutch problem would be specific to that vehicle, but unfortunately, GTOs review here confirms that it exists in all Ventos. But those are minor, considering the other things on offer.

I do drive in highways quite a bit and my driving style depends on my mood. Sometimes I am in cruising mode where I do not cross 90 kmph and there are occasions when I drive the car near its top speed But with the Vento, I am sure I would look to better my top speed records on highways and I know that the absence of ABS would be a BIG problem! But I will have to live with it and should not be pushing her too hard on curvy roads. Hope some common sense prevails in me.

And thanks for Mikon's link. I had missed it somehow previously. Very informative and like everyone else, I fell in love with the alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Get full waiver of Insurance and you would be saving hell lot of money sprucing it up. I've got a corporate discount of 15K and didn't go for any accessories from showroom. All I did is just rolled out vehicle with only Road Tax and discount on Insurance.

I'm not able to PM you the installer details. He is also a TBHpian. EVO Satya. You can refer the installer directory Bangalore
Sure. Let me get in touch with Satya for ICE queries. You have mentioned the corporate discount as 15K. My dealer mentioned only 12K as corporate discount. Does it differ from state to state and dealer to dealer or is it the same across all VW dealers in India?

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st October 2011 at 16:44. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 16:47   #3295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ok it looks TL variant has 175/70-14 as OE size. In that case following sizes will fit if you want to retain the 14" rims.

185/65-14 = marginally lesser in overall diameter (OD)
195/65-14 = slightly larger OD which means your ground clearance will increase as well as better ride comfort.
195/60-14 = almost same as OE size but you will get much better handling.

The HL comes with 185/60-15 tyres i.e. 15" rims.

If you want to upgrade to 15" rims then following sizes will work:

195/55-15
205/55-15 <-- best option
205/50-15
@Vid6639: Thanks for the suggestion. I am not so keen on upgrading the rims to 15 inches. If I decide to upgrade (maybe at a later date, I will go for alloys - maybe killer ones like that of Mikon's Black Mamba )

With the 14 inch options, I am thinking the below should suit me just fine:

I will check out for Yoko C drives with this spec. But could you please let me know how much of a difference do you expect this to make to the braking efficiency and handling? I want a well balanced tyre which will not eat into the ride quality. I am more keen on the braking part since the TL does not come with ABS, which is scary considering the high speed engine on offer!
In fact, I am afraid that the absence of ABS is always going to play on the back of my mind when I floor the gas pedal
Old 21st October 2011, 16:56   #3296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@Vid6639: Thanks for the suggestion. I am not so keen on upgrading the rims to 15 inches. If I decide to upgrade (maybe at a later date, I will go for alloys - maybe killer ones like that of Mikon's Black Mamba )

With the 14 inch options, I am thinking the below should suit me just fine:

I will check out for Yoko C drives with this spec. But could you please let me know how much of a difference do you expect this to make to the braking efficiency and handling? I want a well balanced tyre which will not eat into the ride quality. I am more keen on the braking part since the TL does not come with ABS, which is scary considering the high speed engine on offer!
In fact, I am afraid that the absence of ABS is always going to play on the back of my mind when I floor the gas pedal
You don't get C-drives in 195/65-14.

Braking will improve as well as handling. Ride comfort will be similar to the OE tyre.

175 is way too less for 100bhp diesel car with that performance. I would say if your budget doesn't allow alloys just go for the 195/65-14 or even the 195/60-14. The difference will be marginal.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 17:06   #3297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You don't get C-drives in 195/65-14.

Braking will improve as well as handling. Ride comfort will be similar to the OE tyre.

175 is way too less for 100bhp diesel car with that performance. I would say if your budget doesn't allow alloys just go for the 195/65-14 or even the 195/60-14. The difference will be marginal.
Thanks. I will look out for 195/65-14 specs. As long as it can improve braking, I am always for it
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:08   #3298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I will look out for 195/65-14 specs. As long as it can improve braking, I am always for it
Sorry to jump into the discussion this late . My 2 cents, its great to see your concern regarding braking while I also appreciate the reality of sticking to a budget.

My advice would be that please practice pumping of brakes rather than "standing" on brake , it would mimic ( to a large extent) what ABS does . Get that ingrained into your system, then you would not need to worry about the absence of ABS

Floor the pedal (Vento's torquey engine begs so often that its hard not to give in to the temptation) only when you have clear line of sight of at least 100 m .

Be aware of the surface and change your speed accordingly - slow down on roads whose surface is strewn with gravel, dry sand , pebbles , water , oil and also after a light shower.

You would do fine if you follow the above few simple steps - last but not the least concentrate on your driving, enjoy your machine and stop worrying about the absence of ABS.

On tyres , Yoko-C would be a step-up for sure from the OEM but since folks have mentioned the limitation that you face regarding the 14 inchers I would say give tyres like Michelin , Bridgestone or even the Apollos ( the silent ones only !) a shot too when you upgrade.

Alloys upgrade would be obscenely costly if you go for original alloys - VW charges 17K for each ! IMO its not worth it as you can achieve a compromise through a tyre upgrade . Either ways it would void certain warranties, why should you spend more than 50 grand more on one option to achieve similar results !
cheers
souravc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 12:42   #3299
Senior - BHPian

I came across the following post from one of the polo threads that talks about VW reducing the price of OE alloys. If true, this should be applicable for the vento too.

Can someone check?

Quote:

Polo alloy wheel rates have come down though to 25k for a set of 4 from a whopping 80k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Alloys upgrade would be obscenely costly if you go for original alloys - VW charges 17K for each !
Old 22nd October 2011, 17:33   #3300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
I came across the following post from one of the polo threads that talks about VW reducing the price of OE alloys. If true, this should be applicable for the vento too.

Can someone check?
Yes, it should be applicable to Vento also, as Vento and Polo share the same alloys. So 25K for 4 means, 1 alloy rim should cost Rs. 6250. More or less what a Honda City alloy costs.
But the thing to think about is why such a drastic drop in price straight from 80K to 25K? Is the quality dropped too?
If the one single piece costs Rs. 6250 I would like to change my spare tire rim to alloy as I like to rotate all the 5 tire after every 5000 Kms and I dont like a steel rim on 1 Million rupee car.
So can anyone confirm the news.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks