Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2017, 14:25   #8776
BHPian

Re: Brake Warning lamp on

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It can be as simple as a low-brake-fluid to as complicated as a software issue. Reading through your post, I feel it's the former.
No, it is not the brake fluid. The reservoir is full and there is no drop in the level. I have been checking it right through the journey and even today morning. So there is no leak.
Old 29th May 2017, 14:58   #8777
BANNED

Re: Brake Warning lamp on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
While near mumbai the light came back on and was going off and on.
Can you please check both the brake pedal switch and the handbrake switch? Hope there is no loose contact in the switch. Also bleed the brakes and top up the reservoir. See if it solves the problem.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th May 2017 at 17:22. Reason: Typo
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 15:16   #8778
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

It sometimes happens, if you park your car in a water logged area, and apply hand brake, the cable can get stuck. All they'll do is manually 'un-stick' it. So did you park the car in an area where there was water logging and applied hand brake?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 11:06   #8779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you please check both the brake pedal switch and the handbrake switch? Hope there is no loose contact in the switch. Also bleed the brakes and top up the reservoir. See if it solves the problem.
The hand brake indicator is a separate lamp and that is working fine when i pull the handbrake it comes on and when i disengage it goes off. So that is ruled out. I am not sure about the brake pedal switch. I am at the workshop and they are doing a VAS Scan. let us see what comes out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It sometimes happens, if you park your car in a water logged area, and apply hand brake, the cable can get stuck. All they'll do is manually 'un-stick' it. So did you park the car in an area where there was water logging and applied hand brake?
The handbrake indicator is separate and that is behaving absolutely normal. The car was parked in a completely dry place and it was not even washed in the morning the problem occurred but there was very short drizzle overnight but it was nothing. The car has been exposed to much much heavier rains in the previous weeks when i was in my hometown
Old 1st June 2017, 11:49   #8780
BHPian

The problem is resolved, atleast that is what they claim and to be fair the light has not come back since yesterday afternoon. Apparently it was some loose wire somewhere which was the cause of the problem. VAS scan didn't show any error.

They didn't do it under extended warranty as there was no part replacement. They said labour is covered only if there is part replacement since there was no part replacement i had to pay for the labour. So if there was some part to be replaced the whole thing would have been done free under warranty. Sounds a bit strange but mabe that is the way it is.

P.S. Sorry for the back to back posts since they are couple of days apart i suppose it should be ok.
Old 11th June 2017, 09:34   #8781
BHPian

Volkswagen ABRA motors, Chennai called me this week asking me to bring the car for software upgrade for the emission issue. Mine is a 2012 model 1.6L Diesel Vento. Previously when the emission scandal was at its peak, VW website for verifying affected cars, reported that my car/engine is not impacted. Later during the two services after the scandal was unearthed service centers informed me that my engine is not in the list of the ones that had their software tweaked to cheat emission checks. Considering the above do I have to take my car for this upgrade. My car is out of warranty and I am worried if they meddle with the engine and lead to any problem later. Anyone can help me with the information on the genuineness of this software upgrade? Thanks in advance.
Old 12th June 2017, 11:22   #8782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Volkswagen ABRA motors, Chennai called me this week asking me to bring the car for software upgrade for the emission issue. Mine is a 2012 model 1.6L Diesel Vento. Previously when the emission scandal was at its peak, VW website for verifying affected cars, reported that my car/engine is not impacted. Later during the two services after the scandal was unearthed service centers informed me that my engine is not in the list of the ones that had their software tweaked to cheat emission checks. Considering the above do I have to take my car for this upgrade. My car is out of warranty and I am worried if they meddle with the engine and lead to any problem later. Anyone can help me with the information on the genuineness of this software upgrade? Thanks in advance.
We got the call too. We said no. We paid for that beautifully tuned engine. It's the biggest USP of the car.
I believe we can deny the update completely and still have it serviced in the SC. Need to confirm though.

On the other hand, is there anyone who experiences vibrations while idling? It occurs once the engine is warmed up well. Quite annoying though. Otherwise it's running fine. 50k and 3 years later, the car feels fresh as ever!
Old 13th June 2017, 14:12   #8783
BHPian

Last Saturday we went to a hotel nearby for a wedding reception. When the valet brought our car back he spun the front tyres on a slight incline to the hotel porch. My Vento is a TSI, so I thought spinning tyres would be impossible with ESC / traction control active. But it did. I still wonder how the driver managed it. Did he press the brake and accelerator simultaneously?

This thing is still in my mind because the engine seem to behave a bit different after that incident. There seem to be a bit more engine vibration and gear change takes longer.
Old 13th June 2017, 15:18   #8784
RWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
When the valet brought our car back he spun the front tyres on a slight incline to the hotel porch. My Vento is a TSI, so I thought spinning tyres would be impossible with ESC / traction control active. But it did. I still wonder how the driver manage it.
Seems like, slight wheelspin is indeed possible, even with the traction control on, especially in low grip scenarios, like wet smooth roads, and in your case, smooth incline (tiles?). I too have managed to light up the fronts, during a standing start from pole position, on a wet smooth road. Wheels spun pointlessly, until ESP/TC arrested the drama, and the car moved off the line.
RWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 07:49   #8785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
We got the call too. We said no. We paid for that beautifully tuned engine.
I believe we can deny the update completely and still have it serviced in the SC.
I checked my VIN number in the VW website. It says the car will run fine without the update. But also claims emissions will be higher than the norm in a normal drive. If we drive without fixing, isn't it cheating?

Also VW claims there won't be any performance degradation. Request BHPians who have done the update to confirm this.

Quote:
On the other hand, is there anyone who experiences vibrations while idling? It occurs once the engine is warmed up well.
I am also close to 50K. But haven't seen any vibrations till now. I used to have this issue with my old Zen. It got corrected after a long series of services across multiple service centers. Could be small fix. Check with a trusted service center.
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 12:32   #8786
BHPian

Last week VW called in my Vento 1.6 HL (2012) for a free software update related to the emission issue. They ran some software updates and added an extra "filter" they said. Plus a "free" car polishing kit. I do not know how many cars were called and people go for the update. I was assured no performance degrade and I have not seen any significant changes. What is the feeling in this forum, are people going in for the patch upgrade?

Last edited by LandCruiser : 16th June 2017 at 12:36. Reason: More details
Old 17th June 2017, 15:33   #8787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I checked my VIN number in the VW website. It says the car will run fine without the update. But also claims emissions will be higher than the norm in a normal drive. If we drive without fixing, isn't it cheating?

Also VW claims there won't be any performance degradation. Request BHPians who have done the update to confirm this.

I am also close to 50K. But haven't seen any vibrations till now. I used to have this issue with my old Zen. It got corrected after a long series of services across multiple service centers. Could be small fix. Check with a trusted service center.
There are reports of degraded performance. For a lot of people, they get higher fuel economy. Since this was done in a hurry, we don't know the long term effects of this exercise.

Is the current tune really degrading the environment? Check this out:

http://www.motortrend.com/news/diese...gen-emissions/

It's an interview with Arvind Thiruvengadam, the man who unveiled the scam. A must read!!!

And as far as vibrations are concerned, the idling RPM seems to a bit below 800 RPM. I guess that's the reason.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 22:27   #8788
BHPian

Quote:
There are reports of degraded performance. For a lot of people, they get higher fuel economy. Since this was done in a hurry, we don't know the long term effects of this exercise.
I have got this done today. Will update you if there is any remarkable difference in performance and fuel economy.
Crank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 15:03   #8789
BHPian

My 1.6 TDI vento showed a slight problem in starting today morning and just now when i tried starting it just won't turn over and even the instrument cluster display goes blank. So it seems the battery is gone. Till yesterday there was no sign of any problem

I have called VW On Road service and they will come shortly but if i have to replace the battery outside, can anyone please help me with the rating for the OEM battery for the the TDI. will 60AH be a problem? quick feedback will help me
Old 21st June 2017, 20:39   #8790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
My 1.6 TDI vento showed a slight problem in starting today morning and just now when i tried starting it just won't turn over and even the instrument cluster display goes blank. So it seems the battery is gone. Till yesterday there was no sign of any problem

I have called VW On Road service and they will come shortly but if i have to replace the battery outside, can anyone please help me with the rating for the OEM battery for the the TDI. will 60AH be a problem? quick feedback will help me
60 Ah would be fine for Vento 1.6 TDI. Double check on the existing battery for the correct capacity.

VW discontinued the 60 Ah batteries, and went with 61 Ah later. Going with 60Ah should not be a problem.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks