Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 21:10   #286
BHPian

Looking forward to seeing some progress on the Series II, Stanher.

Here's my mate's SII Li150 which broke down on the way to the coast. The big end bearing went.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-13062008182.jpg  

Old 24th November 2009, 21:27   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Is the APSL factory still there?
No, I heard they closed a long time ago; they'd taken to manufacturing the Vespa PL170 and then the PVX beforethey shut down.

Quote:
Ok, I've started my new thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1597619

Stanher, I hope you don't mind me putting this on.
Not at all, would definitely love to check out your resto. details.

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing some progress on the Series II, Stanher.
Sure! Well there was relatively some progress today- despite a busy schedule, I caught the mech. there and had him fit back the removed fittings on the frame with the painting done, including the front seat. And also started it...same drone-ish sound again while idling, which I'd described in this thread earlier. He suggested changing the bore too. I said it could be attended to once the scooter was out of the painting workshop.
So we drive it back to his place tomorrow morning to be reassembled. I this time intend to finish it for sure, by this weekend!

No pics. today I'm afraid- camera's batteries were weak!

More tomorrow.
Old 24th November 2009, 23:54   #288
BHPian

Here's a Vijay. It may have a shopping trolley trailer but it has a TS1 engine in it and can do 90 mph!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-ts1-vijay-trailer.jpg  

Old 25th November 2009, 10:04   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a Vijay. It may have a shopping trolley trailer but it has a TS1 engine in it and can do 90 mph!
Dude,

You still retain the Indian registration number along with the current one. Great going .
Old 25th November 2009, 15:38   #290
BHPian

Strictly speaking we are not allowed to mess with number plates but the police in the UK tend to turn a blind-eye to scooters because most are vintage machines.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:55   #291
BHPian

Unless you have your scooter painted like this!
Attached Images

Old 25th November 2009, 20:17   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mole, I can let you know of UK companies that manufacture high quality parts. A lot of them are innovative and an improvement on the original.
That will be helpful, I am looking to buy complete hardware set for my Li series 2 prefrebly in Stainless Steel. Any reccomendations?
Old 25th November 2009, 20:19   #293
BHPian

By 'hardware' do you mean a stainless fixing kit i.e. nuts & bolts?
Old 25th November 2009, 20:46   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By 'hardware' do you mean a stainless fixing kit i.e. nuts & bolts?
Thats right, I am thinking of redoing all the nuts and bolts in Stainless steel. What have you been using for your scooters?
Old 25th November 2009, 21:43   #295
BHPian

Well, for the Vijay I bought a nut & bolt restoration kit. That included all the nuts, bolts and washers you need but not in stainless. It also included special items like the toolbox fixings and all the floor runner fixings.

I have since replaced a lot of the nuts and bolts with stainless and used nyloc on ALL the nuts. The Allwyn has completely stainless and nyloc but it was'nt bought as a kit.

I'll find out the availability of the stainless kit but it won't be cheap!

For a non-original restoration I am replacing all the chrome on the scooter because it doesn't last, particularly on alloy.
Old 29th November 2009, 09:32   #296
BHPian

Restoration of 1960 API Lambretta 150 Li Serise II

Hye guys right now I'm at my native place at the northern part of West Bengal and doing a restoration of my father's API Lambretta.

This scooter is of 1960s model Lambretta 150 Li Serise II, first registered on 29-03-1961, my dad was bought her from the second owner in 1971 for Rs. 2500/-, since then the Lambretta is with us. All the papers like RC book, WB road tax and insurance are up to date. My father used this scooter for almost 30 years without much trouble. Even I learned riding in this Lambretta. In the 90's gradually spares became scarce and addition of new generation bikes, cars to our garage, this Lambretta remain idle at one corner.

Inspired by the beautiful restoration work by Sidman, Stanher, Sourabh (SA7VA5) and others I also started collecting parts (at Mumbai) for quite some time and in my present visit I thought this the time to restore the scooter. We decided to restore the mechanicals first, then will go for body work and finally painting. Posting few photos of the present work (sorry for the quality, as taken by Nokia E63).
P.S. Recently my father bought an Allwyn Pushpak, which is in good condition, after restoring the Lambretta, we'll modify the Pushpak.
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta6.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta5.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta4.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta3.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta1.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-lambretta2.jpg  

Old 29th November 2009, 11:38   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
Hye guys right now I'm at my native place at the northern part of West Bengal and doing a restoration of my father's API Lambretta.

This scooter is of 1960s model Lambretta 150 Li Serise II, first registered on 29-03-1961,

Inspired by the beautiful restoration work by Sidman, Stanher, Sourabh (SA7VA5) and others I also started collecting parts (at Mumbai) for quite some time and in my present visit I thought this the time to restore the scooter.
Nice to see another Lambretta being given a rebirth!
Glad that some of us were an inspiration for you. 'hope to help you out here in whatever way possible.

BTW, sorry to correct you here, but since your scooter is a '61 model, it is NOT an API Lambretta but an original (ITALIAN) INNOCENTI Lambretta Li150 series 2, just like mine. The API speedometre and horncast badge are all later add-ons, the original meter and badge should both be "INNOCENTI"

Please see these pics. for reference:

http://www.speedoking.com/images/lam...50_ser_1_2.png

http://www.sandyscooters.com/images/...tta01large.jpg

http://www.t-a-s-s.co.uk/templates/t...orncast_th.jpg

Like many other Innocenti Lambrettas, your scooter would've been API-ised at some point mainly due to non-availability of these parts locally.

The 60-61 models also came with "Lambretta" aluminium badges on the side-domes:

1959 series 2 lambretta li150 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

These are all available now at Delhi, although repros. Also try for the original stepney tyre holder (horizontal, with 4 "legs"), nothing like it for a Lambretta.

Last edited by Stanher : 29th November 2009 at 11:41.
Old 29th November 2009, 19:22   #298
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;1606336]Nice to see another Lambretta being given a rebirth!
Glad that some of us were an inspiration for you. 'hope to help you out here in whatever way possible.
Thank you very much.1. My ignorance. You are right, gear box as well as it's cover has Innocenti name embossed on them.2. Regarding the speedo and horn cast I'll try to get the original Innocenti one as you suggested.3. There are holes punched on the side panels but my father is not aware about the side emblem, any way this will also be done during painting.4. About 10-12 years back we changed the stepney holder to present one, now we'll again go back to the original flat type holder.5. Fuel switch and the choke lever are from Vijay Super's black one. That we have to replace, the original aluminium one this there with us but not in good condition. Thank you once again for all your valuable suggestions.
Old 30th November 2009, 09:53   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Inspired by the beautiful restoration work by Sidman, Stanher, Sourabh (SA7VA5) and others I also started collecting parts (at Mumbai) for quite some time and in my present visit I thought this the time to restore the scooter.
Glad to hear that our restos inspired you! You are following a process very similar to what I followed. For around 10 months after I bought my scoot, I was stocking parts, doing google research, and carefully following Saurabh's and Stanher's restos. In the meantime, we upgraded to 12 V elecricals with halogen headlight, changed all cables, locks, and bulbs, new carb, and tuned the engine. During this, we discovered some faults with the bike. The front fork and rim had bends. When resto started, my mech attacked the engine first, which tuned out to be a good decision. Denting and painting was done after engine was ready.
Your scoot looks to be in good shape, hope the chassis has no problems. Both Stanher and me had chassis problems. Hope your mechanic is good with Lambrettas, and hope you have found a good denter and painter. As Stnaher said, you might need to source some things from abroad, like speedometer and horncast badge.
Your scooter would have a lot of Italian parts, so ensure they are stored properly, and nothing gets lost. All the best!
Old 30th November 2009, 11:36   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the speedo and horn cast I'll try to get the original Innocenti one as you suggested.
Not horncast, only the badge on it
Horncast is the correct one, with the smaller round grille.

Also check if your scooter also has the original rear grille (right under the rear seat) yet? Another feature of the Innocenti Lambrettas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks