Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:56   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Sid and ilango, my hearty congrats and kudos to you both!!

Both your rides look fab, Ilango's Vijai particularly is unrecognisable from what it looked like when bought!! I'm glad the rear rail given from me suits perfectly- I see you even got the rubber footrest mat (is it with the SIL logo?) for it! 'didnt know those are still available.

I envy you both all the more now- how I wish I could join the bandwagon now!

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd September 2009 at 13:14.
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:15   #212
BHPian

Thank u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Both your rides look fab, Ilango's Vijai particularly is unrecognisable from what it looked like when bought!! I'm glad the rear rail given from me suits perfectly- I see you even got the rubber footrest mat (is it with the SIL logo?) for it! 'didnt know those are still available.
Hi Shyam,
Thanks a lot. Yes the rails were perfect and ofcourse it was mandatory to have the rails & footrest for the pillion (RTO said). The rubber pad/cover for the rear footrest on the rails is from Steelbird. Haven't observed it so close. Will let you know if there is a SIL logo on it.
With a few issues as mentioned in my previous posts, the scooter is running fine.
Looking forward to see your machine on road.
-Ilango
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:21   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
it was mandatory to have the rails & footrest for the pillion (RTO said).
Yes I too noticed that a lot of Bajaj scooters in Poona too did have chrome rails around the sides/rear. But I never saw them on Lambrettas there.
Old 3rd September 2009, 23:42   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shyam! Your scoot will come out tops soon, don't doubt it!

Quote:
Yes I too noticed that a lot of Bajaj scooters in Poona too did have chrome rails around the sides/rear. But I never saw them on Lambrettas there.
Those rails on Ilango's Vijai look good though! Since we are discussing things like rails, that protect the bike, I'd like to bring up the fact that the slanted horizontal placement of the Lambretta's (and Vijai's) spare wheel is a rear bumper, if someone runs into your scoot from behind. There is a kind of protection offered by mounting the spare tyre in this way, IMHO.
Another concern I have is the "side skirts" of the scooter getting scraped in various ways. I have circled the area prone to scratches, which I call "side skirt". In the second pic, there is a Lambretta which has an aluminium side skirt patti-type strip. I was considering a narrower strip along the side skirts, a bit like what Fiat gaadis have. Else, I could consider using some kind of rubber beading along the side. Does anyone have any info/suggestions about these side skirt pattis?
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00804_edit.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00465.jpg  

Old 4th September 2009, 13:37   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Does anyone have any info/suggestions about these side skirt pattis?
You idea on such a fitment has some functional importance. The Al strip shonw in the second picture looks like the pressed aluminium strip used in bus body biulding. Noticed them on the foot boards? These strips appear at the L-bends on the stairs. So it should be relatively easier to find them in any bus / van / tempo body building works.

My dad's 1985 Vijai M-II did not have any foot board strips. The mat was rather plain and were secured by screw & nuts. The edges has a black coloured steel runner as shown in your picture. Can post its picture while I visit home.

Now the scooter has the floor strips & the regular mat, as I didnt find a replacement for the plain mat.

-Ilango
Old 4th September 2009, 19:03   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Such side-skirt protectors were available (in much better quality and appearance) even abroad, albeit as accessories:

Casa Lambretta Accessories

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gK45xSQ1H7...rt+S1+S2+4.jpg

Now here's a problem- they're expen$ive for most of us!! :(

But, someday.....sometime...!
Old 4th September 2009, 22:57   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Such side-skirt protectors were available (in much better quality and appearance) even abroad, albeit as accessories:

Casa Lambretta Accessories

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gK45xSQ1H7...rt+S1+S2+4.jpg

Now here's a problem- they're expen$ive for most of us!! :(

But, someday.....sometime...!
Thanks for the links Shyam! Those probably cost close to the amount I spent to restore this scoot!
Its actually possible to have something simple fabricated, and I have located the place where work like this is done. Need to give them a design, and show them a scooter, to take measurements, and they can make it. Let's see how it goes.
Am also looking for a neat rear carrier/rack.
Old 5th September 2009, 13:54   #218
BHPian

Congrats Sid

Sid, your scoot is looking fabulous. Very well restored and i liked those mirrors.

Mine is taking some time, since the side cover locks have worn out and I am finding it difficult to source. Let me know if you come across any and where did you pick up those mirrors from?

I will try and get my scoot reaady for the 19th Sep ride.

Regards,

Srisha
Old 5th September 2009, 22:08   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
Sid, your scoot is looking fabulous. Very well restored and i liked those mirrors.

Mine is taking some time, since the side cover locks have worn out and I am finding it difficult to source. Let me know if you come across any and where did you pick up those mirrors from?

I will try and get my scoot reaady for the 19th Sep ride.

Regards,

Srisha
Thanks, Srisha! Those side panel locking mechanisms are tough to get, try your luck in Shivajinagar gujiri. What exactly has worn out? Is it the rubber stoppers at the ends? I will enquire also.
The mirrors are from Balaji Auto Parts, near Comm. Street, brand is Autobird.
Hope to see you on the 19th Sept. rally!
Old 5th September 2009, 22:50   #220
BHPian

Here's a small video of my scoot idling, just so that you can hear what a rebuilt engine sounds like! Enjoy...
http://www.facebook.com/v/157082069847

Last edited by Sidman : 5th September 2009 at 22:55.
Old 6th September 2009, 21:38   #221
BHPian

A heart warming moment today, as I went to meet the previous owner of my scoot, to show him the restored MEB 1222. It was a surprise cooked up by his son, Anto, and myself. Uncle was very pleased to see the scoot, the smile on his face said it all! And then, I got a surprise when they showed me a pic of the scoot from the late 70's! I am proud to have a copy of this pic, I know what my scoot looked like 30 years ago!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-meb1222_old.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00814.jpg  

Old 6th September 2009, 21:48   #222
Senior - BHPian

You lucky!! Nice nostalgic picture. Where in Bangalore is it?
arun1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2009, 23:38   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Soooper pics.!! Especially the '70s one! How I wish I had similar nostalgic pics. to share! Is that a Lambretta badge on the horncast?
Old 7th September 2009, 10:46   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Sid, the scooter looks super. Wish many years of riding pleasure.

I'm sure Anto and family would be so thrilled to see the scoot in good hands and in this shape. He always mentioned how much care his father took of this scooter.

Cheers!
Old 7th September 2009, 12:31   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
You lucky!! Nice nostalgic picture. Where in Bangalore is it?
I believe it is Kalasipalyam.

Quote:
Soooper pics.!! Especially the '70s one! How I wish I had similar nostalgic pics. to share! Is that a Lambretta badge on the horncast?
These old pics are lovely...full of memories! I zoomed into the pic, it does look like a Lambretta badge. Can't be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations Sid, the scooter looks super. Wish many years of riding pleasure.

I'm sure Anto and family would be so thrilled to see the scoot in good hands and in this shape. He always mentioned how much care his father took of this scooter.

Cheers!
Oh yes, Karl! They were more than thrilled! Uncle loved his scooter, and lovingly tended to it himself, polishing it, tighterning the nuts and bolts! He chose to sell it, as he felt he was getting old, and would not have the time and energy to keep it well much longer. All he wanted was for it to be bought by someone who would give it similar care. You can be sure he has no regrets about his decision to sell the scoot to me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks