Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 22:10   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all,

At last back with some updates!!

After yet another looooooooooong break, MDS 4713, my 1960 Li s2, had finally started up AND even run a little today!!

'finally had the mech. to start her up and drive her down to the denter's place, which was about 2-3 km away in Secunderabad itself. He said it ran quite well, even the gears worked fine, except for the 4th which required a little twisting down to fall in place.
Only thing is, when we left her running for a while at the denter's, the idling didn't sound normal. Sometimes revved high, sometimes low even without touching the accelerator.

Another mechanic in the same compound claimed the bore was leaking and to change the packing kit again. The denter there said the carb. wasn't an OE one, nor was the flange (it is new but sure is an original Lambretta flange, different from the Vijai flange!) which was causing the trouble. Anyways, first and foremost, he did assure that he would start with correcting the bend on the rear bodyframe and also the front crossmember in 2-3 days. So hopefully from now on, "MDS" would be getting finished in time!

Here are the pics. when the scoot was started and was left at the denter's today. I even took a video when my mech. was driving it- a moment to remember! but unfortunately took it with the camera held the wrong way, so watching it as it is would be a pain in the neck (literally!)

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3817.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3818.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3820.jpg

Fortunately, sidman has kindly volunteered to help me out with editing the video, so we should get to enjoy watching once its done!

Last edited by Stanher : 27th October 2009 at 22:16.
Old 28th October 2009, 10:10   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hi all,

At last back with some updates!!
Finally, some progress! I also had a tough time selecting 4th gear initially. Mech did some adjustments, and now it firmly "clicks" into 4th without much effort. I assume the packing kit was not fitted properly? Are you able to get a replacement? And far as I know, your carb is the correct one...based on the original Dellorto carb.
Send me the video, I'll do it ASAP. Hope to see MDS ready soon!
Old 30th October 2009, 17:15   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Start by posting pics of your scooter so that we can guide you precisely, as mentioned by sidman, this model the cosmetics definately have to be imported from Europe and they are not cheap for instance a grey rubber set can cost almost 7K..and that is just the begining.

Here you go with the pics till last month. currently the scoot is in bits n peices. and i'm done with denting and primer would start painting this sunday.

Edit: Mods Note - Please do not type...like...this.... This hampers readability. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lamby n Innocenti.doc (779.5 KB, 377 views)
Old 30th October 2009, 21:04   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
Here you go with the pics till last month. currently the scoot is in bits n peices. and i'm done with denting and primer would start painting this sunday.

Edit: Mods Note - Please do not type...like...this.... This hampers readability. Thanks
The file might be corrupted. Since you're a newbie, maybe someone else can upload the pics on your behalf. Guys, is that allowed? Any ideas?
Old 31st October 2009, 23:30   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I even took a video when my mech. was driving it- a moment to remember!
Here's finally the promised video after being successfully edited, and after being successfully uploaded online after many attempts!!

Enjoy!
Old 31st October 2009, 23:44   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's finally the promised video after being successfully edited, and after being successfully uploaded online after many attempts!!
Superb yaar ! Is that your voice shouting "YO !" at the end ?!?
Old 1st November 2009, 11:08   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Superb yaar ! Is that your voice shouting "YO !" at the end ?!?
Haha......no, not at all!
That's just a background noise, some guy was calling out to someone.
Old 1st November 2009, 22:25   #248
BHPian

Quote:

YouTube - My 1960 Lambretta Li 150 series 2- running at last!!

Enjoy!
That was a long overdue event there! Good to see her moving! What silencer chamber are you using? Need a good one for my scoot, with noise baffles inside the chamber.
I've heard that its great fun riding a stripped-down Lammy, like you see MDS in the video. with the legshield, side shields, rear floorboards, backseat, spare wheel, mudguard, etc, all removed, and with the engine tuned, they used to race Lambrettas and Vijais on various Indian race tracks in the 70's. My mech was one of those guys, he rode either a modified Series 2 Lambretta or a modified Rajdoot Bobby, and claims he usually gave the competition a tough time.
So Shyam, did you get to ride the scoot while it is in this shape? Would be interesting, I think.
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:58   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
What silencer chamber are you using? Need a good one for my scoot, with noise baffles inside the chamber.
I actually had got it from Saurabh, seemed to be a local make. But quite good. It thankfully has the filter inside!

Quote:
I've heard that its great fun riding a stripped-down Lammy, like you see MDS in the video. with the legshield, side shields, rear floorboards, backseat, spare wheel, mudguard, etc, all removed, and with the engine tuned, they used to race Lambrettas and Vijais on various Indian race tracks in the 70's. My mech was one of those guys, he rode either a modified Series 2 Lambretta or a modified Rajdoot Bobby, and claims he usually gave the competition a tough time.
Yup, I've heard of guys who've done t hat too.

Quote:
So Shyam, did you get to ride the scoot while it is in this shape? Would be interesting, I think.
Not yet, but I may try it once, now that it is going to be done soon.

Speaking of which, here's further update of the scoot- went to the garage today to check it out- much to my relief, the long-nagging rear frame bend problem is getting fixed, it appears quite straight now!!

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3845.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3846.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_3847.jpg

'should be done by this evening he said. But I insisted on the mechanic bringing the side-panels and even the legshield from his home to fit them on the scoot and check for one final time! I don't want another bodywork nightmare to happen ever again! I even showed this guy the bend in the front crossmember. 'hope that too is straightened out by tomorrow.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:52   #250
BHPian

Quote:
'should be done by this evening he said. But I insisted on the mechanic bringing the side-panels and even the legshield from his home to fit them on the scoot and check for one final time! I don't want another bodywork nightmare to happen ever again! I even showed this guy the bend in the front crossmember. 'hope that too is straightened out by tomorrow.
Thats great news! Good that you're making sure that all the panels line up properly. Looks like you'll need another coat of paint, but that should be ok. Is the engine ok now? Still revving on its own accord?
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:40   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Looks like you'll need another coat of paint, but that should be ok. Is the engine ok now? Still revving on its own accord?
Thanks! Also for your words of encouragement that kept pulling me through!
'haven't seen to the engine as yet. 'will do so after this frame thing is sorted out. The engine doesn't worry me as much as the frame did. As that was mainly the reason why I didn't get the scoot put together! :(
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:26   #252
BHPian

hey am glad stanher you went in for frame bend correction! it seems like I told you some main frame weldings were off!

Great! now take off the parts and get the welded area re-painted!

And get ready to have the assembly completed!

All the very best!

Cheers
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:16   #253
BHPian

Dear Sidman, Saurabh and Mole,
you guys are a lot help, and trust me the project was looking pretty slow befre we met Ilango... he's a big time help and surely would also approach you in case any more stuff needed.....
here are some of the pics......
will soon post the paint job pics......

Here you go with the PICS

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-300820091338.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-300820091340.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-190909_1830.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-13102009657.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-111009_1134.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-111009_1132.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-190909_1648.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-img_5184.jpg

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-13102009649.jpg

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Also Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Dippy : 9th December 2009 at 09:21. Reason: See note in post.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:52   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambyMan View Post
Here you go with the PICS
Hi rakesh,
Nice to see pics. of your Lambretta/Lamby too! Ilango told me about you/your scooter in an email, although cannot recall if you own the Lambretta or the Lamby.

BTW, any frontal pics. of the MHI Lambretta? The horncast seems to be of an early (italian) 60s model, which you did mention it was, although the MHI no. would date to late 60s if I'm not wrong?

'glad our crowd was able to help in whatever way possible!

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd November 2009 at 17:56.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:58   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Hi rakesh,
Nice to see pics. of your Lambretta/Lamby too! Ilango told me about you/your scooter in an email, although cannot recall if you own the Lambretta or the Lamby.

BTW, any frontal pics. of the MHI Lambretta? The horncast seems to be of an early (italian) 60s model, which you did mention it was, although the MHI no. would date to late 60s if I'm not wrong?

'glad our crowd was able to help in whatever way possible!
Hi Rakesh, glad to be of help. Ilango told me in a mail about Rakesh, restoring a Lamby 150, and Sunil, restoring a Lambretta. So these are your bikes...nice! Please clarify if the Lambretta has been re-registered in the late 60's? It looks like a 60-62 model (round horn grille). What does the Lambretta's RC Book say about year of manufacture? The vertical spare holder adds to the confusion, most probably an after-market addition. I would request Sunil to revert to the classic horizontal/slanted placement for the spare holder. Get one on your Lamby too. Do you guys have any upgrades planned, or keeping it stock and original?
When you post resto pics, please make sure that you mention which pics are of Lamby and which are Lambretta. Both will look very similar when disassembled, so we might get confused between them both.

Last edited by Sidman : 3rd November 2009 at 21:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks