Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 16:08   #196
BHPian

Hi Sid,
Congrats man, the scooter looks fantastic. Nice hidden location for the horn switch too. But protect it from water, as the spring inside can easilyt pick up rust.
A few question / doubts from my side.

1. Is it that the API / Lambretta logo is yet to be fixed at home or else waiting for arrival.
2. Do you indent to close the 2 holes in the front leg shield with the lion-head bolts or having any alternate idea to close it?
3. To which vehicle does the rectifier / regulator belong to?
Thanks in advance.

-Ilango
Old 29th August 2009, 23:12   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
We call these mirrors as "steel mirrors" locally. I guess it's steel that's chrome plated. So you int'd in one mirror, or a pair? Yes, all clamps, screws, etc come with the mirror.
I shall take one mirror (right of course) for now, and check the quality for a while. However, the stems of these mirrors are angled much better and of better length than the scrawny ones fitted to bajaj scooters!
Old 29th August 2009, 23:32   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Hi Amol! The mirrors are locally available, and cost Rs. 450/- a pair.
If the chrome is good put me down for a pair. Will come in handy considering I dont know how to ride a scooter. Btw does anyone have a good source for the Engine cutout switches? I need one.

Last edited by the mole : 29th August 2009 at 23:34.
Old 29th August 2009, 23:49   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
If the chrome is good put me down for a pair. Will come in handy considering I dont know how to ride a scooter.
You cant be serious! 'sounds just like my dad!
Of course, he never liked 2-wheelers, so never bothered to learn how to ride one. Ironically he always did want me to, but again, not old ones of course!

Last edited by Stanher : 29th August 2009 at 23:55.
Old 30th August 2009, 00:06   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
You cant be serious! 'sounds just like my dad!
Of course, he never liked 2-wheelers, so never bothered to learn how to ride one. Ironically he always did want me to, but again, not old ones of course!
That doesnt mean I dont know how to ride all two wheelers, I cycle every morning for about 12KMs, I used to be a tri athlete in my hey days
But my fascination with Lambrettas goes to my childhood when in the summer we would go to Mahableshwar every year for about 15 days, there in the market I would rent out a Lambretta pedal car (Series 2) everyday. When I grew off it (literally) I would go everyday to admire it. One year it disappeared sold to someone. Even today when i come accross a antique bazar in any city, I enquire if there are any floating around. Havent been lucky so far.
Old 30th August 2009, 15:16   #201
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sidman, I've been silently viewing this thread for a while now. Let me compliment you on your scoot, she's looking stunning. Just loved the colour scheme . All your efforts have paid off, I particularly liked the modern bits you've added to make her a daily runner.
By the way, to echo Amol's words, I too can't ride a two wheeler for the life of me. My dad never allowed me to, and like an obedient son I never did ! After reading about Lambrettas and Vespas, I too feel bitten by the bug, and want to own one.
Old 30th August 2009, 15:37   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Amol, interesting to know about the Lammy pedal car- er-scoot- I once saw an old pic. of one in a tamil magazine. 'should've saved it!

Anyways, SOS to Lambretta gurus:
Starting my 1960 s2 is proving to be more of a trouble than I'd thought!

The bike fires up occasionally, then shuts down again with a "whoosh" sound! Power circulation has been good, all oil seals too now have been replaced.

But cannot pinpoint the problem for sure! He suggests refitting the old bore with a new oversize piston. But I don't see how a brand new bore and piston could be troublesome in this case?!
Old 30th August 2009, 22:04   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Sid,
Congrats man, the scooter looks fantastic. Nice hidden location for the horn switch too. But protect it from water, as the spring inside can easilyt pick up rust.
A few question / doubts from my side.

1. Is it that the API / Lambretta logo is yet to be fixed at home or else waiting for arrival.
2. Do you indent to close the 2 holes in the front leg shield with the lion-head bolts or having any alternate idea to close it?
3. To which vehicle does the rectifier / regulator belong to?
Thanks in advance.

-Ilango
Thanks, Ilango! I will look into protecting tht switch from moisture and rust...thanks for the info!
1. I have been gifted a beautiful blue Lambretta horncast badge by my buddy Arun, that will go on the scoot.
2. Those holes will be used to mount the old-type black rexine bag on the inside of the legshield. Let me see what bolts/studs I can get.
3. I think the rectifier is from a KB 125.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I shall take one mirror (right of course) for now, and check the quality for a while. However, the stems of these mirrors are angled much better and of better length than the scrawny ones fitted to bajaj scooters!
You're, on, mate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
If the chrome is good put me down for a pair. Will come in handy considering I dont know how to ride a scooter. Btw does anyone have a good source for the Engine cutout switches? I need one.
The chrome looks decent, as you can see in the pics. Engine cut off switches...I think Shyam has a spare. I sent him 2 recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey Sidman, I've been silently viewing this thread for a while now. Let me compliment you on your scoot, she's looking stunning. Just loved the colour scheme . All your efforts have paid off, I particularly liked the modern bits you've added to make her a daily runner.
By the way, to echo Amol's words, I too can't ride a two wheeler for the life of me. My dad never allowed me to, and like an obedient son I never did ! After reading about Lambrettas and Vespas, I too feel bitten by the bug, and want to own one.
Thanks, Super Select! I devoted a lot of time to planning and collecting the parts. But most credit goes to Arun, and my mechanic, Fayaz. Without them, this wouldn't be possible!
Old 31st August 2009, 22:05   #204
BHPian

Updates from my side: Things got slightly delayed, and I could not yet take delivery of the scooter. Reason was that the stator plate was wired wrongly...it was wired in series instead of parallel. So we had to get it rewired in parallel. All the small missing bits have been fitted, and the stator plate was being fitted when I went to the mech today. I didn't take pics, as it was so close to completion. Should be able to take delivery tomorrow.
Old 1st September 2009, 20:16   #205
BHPian

No delivery today either
The stator plate magnet has lost most of its magentism, and the output is not satisfactory. So it was given for magnetizing, and should be ready today. Let me not guess at the delivery date anymore...let's just see how it goes
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:20   #206
BHPian

My Vijai Super test report

Hi all, I have been taking my scooter for short rides late in the night. The engines fires up fine, but still had / have some issues to be solved.

1. The gear shift rocker was too close to the shock absorber support and was stopped by the shock absober support. The result was that the 4th gear would'nt engage. The best option was to remove everything completely and rotate the shift lever by 5 - 10 degrees and assemble things back. Had been fidling with this engine for the past 2 months and was aware of the apin involved. Tried filing some metal off the shift lever and it really worked. The 4th gear is engaging now.
2. In spite of giving an acid wash to the petrol tank, I see rust particles in the petrol hose and the filter. Still finer particles have the chance to find its way to the carb. Need ideas to completely get rid off rust. Approched a few electroplating & galvanizing solutions. They all guaranteed a fine coating on the outer wall, but not inside. Please help.
3. I feel the steering a bit hard as complared to when I had bought it. Could be because of over tightening of the front fork nut.
4. With new rear brake drum and brake shoes the braking is wavy, meaning I feel like having an ABS. Looks like ovality in brake drum. What could be the other chances for this, and how do I fix them.
5. What is the recommended oil mix proportion? I am using 50ml 2T oil per litre of petrol. Is that ok or does it need still more since the bore, pistion, & connecting rod bearings are new. What driving speed is recommended while the engine is new? though I dont drive at full throttle at any point of time.
As I donot have any reliable Lambretta mechanic here, I have to try out and fix the above problems. So please pour in your ideas and suggestions and help me fix the above said problems.

Thanks & Regards
-Ilango
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc02105.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc02106.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc02111.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2009, 00:04   #207
BHPian

And here we are, closing the last chapter of the "Restoration of MEB 1222" book...I have finally taken delivery of my restored 1970 API Lambretta today. Few minor things to be sorted out, but for now, I need to run in the engine, using 50 ml. 2T oil per. litre of petrol (Ilango had a similar query). Should not exceed 40 kmph for the next 800-1000 km.
The horns fitted under the scoot actually made people move out my way faster, when I was riding back home. Maybe it sounded like a yellow board cab was approaching
Here she is folks....MEB 1222!
Attached Thumbnails
Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00791.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00792.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00793.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00794.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00795.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00797.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00801.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00804.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00807.jpg  

Lambretta scooters - Restoration & Maintenance-dsc00810.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2009, 00:08   #208
Senior - BHPian

Stunning, buddy ! Please accept my compliments.. Once again, lovely colour combo.
BTW she needs a more exotic setting for photographs. Please take her out and snap her !!
Old 3rd September 2009, 09:10   #209
BHPian

Amazing looks Sid, Congratulations. Keep motoring it often.
Old 3rd September 2009, 11:10   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Stunning, buddy ! Please accept my compliments.. Once again, lovely colour combo.
BTW she needs a more exotic setting for photographs. Please take her out and snap her !!
Thanks! I had used this setting to photograph the scoot when I first got it, so decided to use it again, to get some kind of before / after resto pics. Will use some more exotic locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Amazing looks Sid, Congratulations. Keep motoring it often.
Thanks buddy! Your Vijai is looking classy too...full on as its a DIY project mostly!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks