Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 17:39   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Wonderful to see someone taking interest on that abandoned Bug, That car seems to have gone under restoration sometime back, but midway abandoned, you can see difference in the color inside out.

That is a 58 Bug, you can say that by noticing the Smaller windows, the decklid and the 5 lug rims.

Untill 1961 Bugs never saw the fuel meter on Dashboard.
i dont think it is a 58,but it is a post 60 model,because till 1960 end the beetle had semaphores and this car doesnt seem to have one.
also,only in august 1961 Fuel gauge replaced the reserve fuel tap.(but the fuel tap continued in VW1200 euro models upto 1973).
so definitely it is not a 58 model
Old 25th February 2010, 18:14   #572
Senior - BHPian

Ok so its definitely not a split, neither is it an oval. The dash seems to be from a later vintage say late 59's early sixties is what i thought (but i have near zilch knowledge about a bug) I was hoping to get a concrete year of manufacture established. Let me see if i can get some more pics, if its not already gone from there that is.

I was wondering whether this was put together using another beetle as a parts car. There are many examples of Beetles in Goa, whose age one could never find out from the tell tale signs, as these signs didn't exist. Like my own 72 ex super beetle i sold to a friend a few years ago who stripped it apart, bought a ticket to Bangkok and came back with a huge crate of new beetle parts and accessories. The car has been done up brilliantly but all wrong with the lights , bumpers and many accessories from the newer lot.

Last edited by V-16 : 25th February 2010 at 18:21. Reason: adding content
Old 25th February 2010, 19:19   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Ok so its definitely not a split, neither is it an oval. The dash seems to be from a later vintage say late 59's early sixties is what i thought (but i have near zilch knowledge about a bug) I was hoping to get a concrete year of manufacture established. Let me see if i can get some more pics, if its not already gone from there that is.

I was wondering whether this was put together using another beetle as a parts car. There are many examples of Beetles in Goa, whose age one could never find out from the tell tale signs, as these signs didn't exist. Like my own 72 ex super beetle i sold to a friend a few years ago who stripped it apart, bought a ticket to Bangkok and came back with a huge crate of new beetle parts and accessories. The car has been done up brilliantly but all wrong with the lights , bumpers and many accessories from the newer lot.
hello v16,
you post more photos ,maybe some of us may be able to help you correctly identify the year of manufacture.
not only in GOA, all over India there seem to be lots of such mix and match VW bugs and like what you said, they import lot of parts ,spent money .and finally when the restoration is over ,some stupid fellow like me points out that this is not of that particular year,makes them naturally very upset and angry .many of these owners(definitely not you) will try to somehow substantiate what they have is the perfect example etc leading to heated verbal matches etc.my humble suggestion to anyone who is trying to restore a VW is to first locate its genuine chassis number(not necessarily the one which is in the RC) and its country of origin(very important because, Euro /braxilian/mexican/US specs are all have differences), whether it was deluxe/special edition etc and then start the restoration, thereby the chances of a wrong restoration are minimised
Old 25th February 2010, 21:22   #574
BHPian

My guess is '60-'61 or '62 standard. First year of that type of steering wheel was Model Yr '60 (though keith seume incorrectly states as Aug '60 = MY '61). The '59 and '58 had the batwings. And if the semaphores were not welded shut, probably a '61-2 as Ajay pointed out.
Byas

Last edited by 71Convertible : 25th February 2010 at 21:24.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:23   #575
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
i dont think it is a 58,but it is a post 60 model,because till 1960 end the beetle had semaphores and this car doesnt seem to have one.
also,only in august 1961 Fuel gauge replaced the reserve fuel tap.(but the fuel tap continued in VW1200 euro models upto 1973).
so definitely it is not a 58 model
That car was quoted as 1958 VW Bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
That was an oval window, due to some reason the rear of the car is cut open , a different glass integrated and all the air fins at the rear is missing.

Am i right sir ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
hello v16,
you post more photos ,maybe some of us may be able to help you correctly identify the year of manufacture.
The only reason why i am sure is, because i had seen this car at Mumbai last November. This was on sale, a dealer from Mahalakshmi had taken me to this car. I did not take any pics of this car since, 4-5 guys (dealers) came running seeing me near the car

30% Engine is left, 0% rear air-intake fins, Rear seats missing, Left rear floor opens to the ground below. With documents not upto date quoted 2 lacs. Lots of missing and changed parts so still difficult to tell.

Anyways lets not go off-topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-vw1958fmalta.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-vw1958rmalta.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 25th February 2010 at 21:41.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:33   #576
BHPian

Pretty sure it's not a '58 -- decklid is not the full-w shape -- (that indicates '59-on). Door handle is not the one piece type -- (that indicates '60-on). Steering wheel is '60-on. So unless all these were changed -- and changing some of these by only one-two years seems less likely (though certainly possible if this is the same car you saw). Anyway, it should be easy to confirm if we can get the chassis number.

Last edited by 71Convertible : 25th February 2010 at 21:35.
Old 26th February 2010, 02:36   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
That car was quoted as 1958 VW Bug.

That was an oval window, due to some reason the rear of the car is cut open , a different glass integrated and all the air fins at the rear is missing.

Am i right sir ?
You're saying this is an Oval??
And some nincompoop sawed off the rear windscreen and replaced it with a later one??

Sir i dont know if you are right or not, maybe right, as i have no idea as to what year the bug is.

Quote:
The only reason why i am sure is, because i had seen this car at Mumbai last November. This was on sale, a dealer from Mahalakshmi had taken me to this car. I did not take any pics of this car since, 4-5 guys (dealers) came running seeing me near the car

30% Engine is left, 0% rear air-intake fins, Rear seats missing, Left rear floor opens to the ground below. With documents not upto date quoted 2 lacs. Lots of missing and changed parts so still difficult to tell.

Anyways lets not go off-topic.
Wow!! Small world. I dont have any idea where this car came from or what it was offered to nor whom it was sold to. Can you share where you saw this car?

The engine pretty much seems to be all there, the rear air vent fins are there but caved in due to neglect or maybe some other vehicle rammed it. rear seats also there in the car itself. Maybe it was worked upon after you saw the car, maybe its not even the same car. Was it Orange when you saw it, coz thats what the colour is on the inside dash and doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
Pretty sure it's not a '58 -- decklid is not the full-w shape -- (that indicates '59-on). Door handle is not the one piece type -- (that indicates '60-on). Steering wheel is '60-on. So unless all these were changed -- and changing some of these by only one-two years seems less likely (though certainly possible if this is the same car you saw). Anyway, it should be easy to confirm if we can get the chassis number.
What other tell tale signs would diffrentiate the bugs in their years, something we can make out from what is left of the car?

Ill see if i can get that for you... if its still there!! Meanwhile keep the posts coming on.
Old 26th February 2010, 02:49   #578
Senior - BHPian

Gogi Ji the easiest way is to just bring the engine number inscribed under the dynamo and above the main pully. I am attaching a picture so that its easier for you to loacte it. After getting the engine number i am sure most of us can say what year it is looking up a few old records.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-dscf1454.jpg  

Old 26th February 2010, 10:51   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Positively not an Oval, I would place it around 1960, give or take a couple of years. I'll access my archives this weekend and we should have an answer.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:56   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Gogi Ji the easiest way is to just bring the engine number inscribed under the dynamo and above the main pully. I am attaching a picture so that its easier for you to loacte it. After getting the engine number i am sure most of us can say what year it is looking up a few old records.
The engine no will only help you to locate the cc of the vehicle. Kindly arrange for the Chassis no and give me 5 seconds thereafter so that I can give you the Exact year of the vehicle. I think this one must be a 1961-62 car european model. Gogiji lots of parts are missing and mind you pre-64 original parts are slightly expensive as compared to late 65 models. But it is certainly restorable. Do post few engine pics too. Chassis no can be found on the tunnel below the rear seat.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:13   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
The engine no will only help you to locate the cc of the vehicle. Kindly arrange for the Chassis no and give me 5 seconds thereafter so that I can give you the Exact year of the vehicle. I think this one must be a 1961-62 car european model. Gogiji lots of parts are missing and mind you pre-64 original parts are slightly expensive as compared to late 65 models. But it is certainly restorable. Do post few engine pics too. Chassis no can be found on the tunnel below the rear seat.
spot on 67bug, engine no cannot be taken as authentic especially in case of aircooled vw's in INDIA,there have been a lot of cars with engine swaps and engine number being etched into it to suit the RC book,etc..but chassiss number will be a more accurate way to assess it unless it too has been tampered with.I still stick to the view that it is 62 or 63 model.
Old 26th February 2010, 20:39   #582
BHPian

Couple more reasons as to why this is not '60 or earlier but 61-63.

Flatter pertrol tank as seen in the photo. This was intro'd only in '61. The earlier ones had a hump on the front portion of the tank.

Grab handle on dash - introduced in '61.

I had eliminated 63 since I though the KS book indicated that the licence plate light (and hence the decklid shape changed in '63 -- but perhaps it was changed in '64.

Also, semaphores were eliminated in '61.

My bet is still a '61 'cause of the lack of fuel gauge.

Byas
Old 27th February 2010, 03:10   #583
Senior - BHPian

Hmmmmmm!! Im going there on Monday but dont know if i will get access to the inside of the car and armed with a camera, looks suspicious enough all that if the car still is there. Maybe i can meet up with the owner, that should say something. Meanwhile keep up the good work all you Sherlocks!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:31   #584
Senior - BHPian

Sorry could not go today due to Holi. I am told that she will be shifted anyday now. If she is sold or not is not sure but shes moving. If sold i hope someone is going to restore her and not butcher her. If she is being moved, i hope to a better parking place with a hope to seeing her getting restored sometime soon in the future.

Might go tomorrow. Ill try getting pics and also try to meet the owner/caretaker of the car so i can get details.
Old 25th April 2010, 13:32   #585
BHPian

6 Beetles at one place!

Last evening was a great one!

Spotted not one, not two but 6 classic beauties (okay, one not so classic ).

There was a meet of Beetles at Sec 11 outside CCD/Barista and man, were they looking good?

Uploading some of the photos, they were there for around an hour or so for some photo-shoot.

The sound from the twin pipes was truly music, though it wasn't very loud by today's standards. The beige beetle was most well maintained and also the one in almost original form, rest all of them were jazzed up a bit with fat tyres and alloy wheels - the one in maroon sported 17 inchers!

My personal favourite was the orange one, it literally stole my heart!

Some of the pics from my mobile cam:
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-b1.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-b2.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-b4.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-b5.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-b6.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-b7.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-b8.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-b9.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com