Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 16:53   #541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Inrojit ORVM - Outside Rear Vew Rear Mirror - not sure if it is exact but mostly so

Hate the stickers & OVRM's no matter what on the beige car looks cheap and needs to go centuries ago

Ya i kindof now becomeing familier to such terms.

I hope the owner does something to get this into mint.
Old 8th February 2010, 18:04   #542
Senior - BHPian

Here is another Karmann that probably belongs to Xoticars
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-11576367_7f5587.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 20:38   #543
BHPian

Volkswagen Beetle, Model 1302, 1970

Here are some photographs of a VW - Beetle , 1302, 1970. This car is in Delhi.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc_6009.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc_6010.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc_6011.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc_6012.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-dsc_6013.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 21:01   #544
BHPian

The distributor vacuum advance hoses are hooked up incorrectly on the 1302.

The long green vac hose goes from back of vac can to the top left port on the front of the carb (front is as seen from pic). This is critical for the retard to work properly. The port on the carb that the green hose currently goes to should be sealed.

The black vac hose should go from the front of the vac can (which faces the back of the car) to the port on the left side of the carb. This is the advance and should only work after the throttle is opened.

Interesting oil filter adaptor -- any details on that?
Old 8th February 2010, 21:23   #545
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
Here are some photographs of a VW - Beetle , 1302, 1970. This car is in Delhi.

Should be a 1970 or a 1971 super bug, with the Flat windscreen, very interesting car as it looked better than those Super Beetles with the Elephant foot tail lights and padded dashboard But has the wrong Fender indicators for a LHD US spec Super Beetle.

This particlular model also features electrically operated Heater fan. This car is clean.

Byas, the external oil filter is actually a modification that started in the US, it is by-passed by drilling a bore from your oil supply path to the crankshaft. Not a difficult thing to achieve, but is of not much use, since the original oil filter mesh at the sump works wonderfully on all Bugs.

This car as of my info is in Bengaluru now,It has trouble with the Sun roof. what say Mr Jatti.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 8th February 2010 at 21:27.
Old 8th February 2010, 21:30   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Should be a 1970 or a 1971 super bug, with the Flat windscreen, very interesting car as it looked better than those Super Beetles with the Elephant foot tail lights and padded dashboard But has the wrong Fender indicators for a LHD US spec Super Beetle.

This particlular model also features electrically operated Heater fan. This car is clean.

Byas, the external oil filter is actually a modification that started in the US, it is by-passed by drilling a bore from your oil supply path to the crankshaft. Not a difficult thing to achieve, but is of not much use, since the original oil filter mesh at the sump works wonderfully on all Bugs.

This car as of my info is in Bengaluru now,It has trouble with the Sun roof. what say Mr Jatti.
No Mr. Kadam this car is in Delhi and in the collection of a very well known car collector. It is indeed a 1970 LHD Super beetle.
Old 8th February 2010, 21:47   #547
BHPian

@Wasif: that karmann dosent belong to xoticars.
Old 8th February 2010, 21:51   #548
BHPian

Quote:

You are correct. We had restored this car about five years back and we did fit an external oil filter. The manual Sun Roof is fine, except that it requires a rubber seal, which has gone bad.

The car is in Delhi and not in Bangalore.
Old 8th February 2010, 23:11   #549
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Here is another Karmann that probably belongs to Xoticars
Wasif,

Do you have any idea as to how many Karmann Ghias are there in India presently? I remember seeing a greenish-blue one in Bangalore and it looked great! I'm in love with them!

P.S. that '71 Bug looks superb! Clean as a whistle!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th February 2010 at 23:16.
Old 9th February 2010, 03:39   #550
BHPian

Quote:
It's not a US spec bug. It's a Euro spec. That's why smaller front indicators, smaller rear tombstones with Amber top (yes, the US 71-72 tombstones are US/Can only and larger). Lack of padded dash is because this is a 1302 not a 1302S. The 1302 should be a 1300cc.

I don't consider it clean as a whistle, but I'm just more picky. -- non original parts on it: ignition, dash lock, window winders, door check straps, carpet -- and these are just from the pics shown so possibly other areas as well. Parts looking like they've been altered -- chrome bumpers painted black (usually indicating some damage), engine wiring looks like it has been cut up, carb hooked up incorrectly, plenty of other incorrect details in the engine compartment.

Most/all of the above can be corrected relatively easily, so this car could be made "clean...". I hope that happens.

Most US external oil filters set ups are done by adding an adaptor at the oil pump not by drilling. VW also made original adaptors for screw on filters for the mexican bugs, but fitment can be a challenge with some mufflers.

http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.a...Search1=Search

I've never seen an oil filter located like in this 1302. Though I would have preferred not to add this external filter, I think it was quite well positioned.

Regards,
Byas

Last edited by 71Convertible : 9th February 2010 at 03:40. Reason: typo
Old 9th February 2010, 09:58   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Wasif,

Do you have any idea as to how many Karmann Ghias are there in India presently? I remember seeing a greenish-blue one in Bangalore and it looked great! I'm in love with them!

P.S. that '71 Bug looks superb! Clean as a whistle!
No idea how many Karmanns are there in India but I would guess there must b a good mayof them considerin they were still being sold new from the Goa dealer for a long time.

I personally love teh looks of teh drop top and the later bodystyles too.

And I stand corrected about the ownership of he Ghia I posted, who owns it now ?
Old 10th February 2010, 10:46   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
No idea how many Karmanns are there in India but I would guess there must b a good mayof them considerin they were still being sold new from the Goa dealer for a long time.

And I stand corrected about the ownership of he Ghia I posted, who owns it now ?
There were a fair number of Ghias, but most of them rotted away. They also were known to be (suprisingly) quite unreliable.

The red Ghia in the picture I think belongs to a Chennai collector who also has a VW Type 181/Thing.

Here is a lovely early convertible Beetle freshly restored with Sameer Kadam.

Classic Volkswagens in India-bug01.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-bug02.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-bug03.jpg

The car has turned out very well, and is a real looker.

Pictures from FCCI. Last pic has Scooby05's Nano and the mole's 56 Fiat.
Old 11th February 2010, 16:24   #553
BHPian

hi, guys there are two ghia's in ludhiana one convertible and another hard top, and here are some pics of the second rally of punjab heritage motoring club website www.vintagepunjab.com,we are having the next i mean the 3rd road show on 7th march 10, will upload some pics after that,
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Volkswagens in India-h2.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-h3.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-h6.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-h7.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-h9.jpg  

Classic Volkswagens in India-hh.jpg  

Last edited by inderpalgill : 11th February 2010 at 16:29. Reason: couldnt upload pictures
Old 12th February 2010, 16:25   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this newspaper cutting today that I cut out a few years back, unfortunately no date.

Classic Volkswagens in India-politico.jpg
Old 12th February 2010, 16:46   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

I found a bunch of old photos of some classics my friend saw and took for me a few years back. Amongst them was this post 67 Beetle.

Classic Volkswagens in India-01.jpg

Classic Volkswagens in India-02.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks