Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2010, 12:15   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Does he still retain all the cars
Oops..! No doesn't! He just owns this S1 now.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:33   #437
Senior - BHPian

Ha Ha! Ram sir I guess finding a true S1 seems to be a quite a task for you who has found two Italian beauties in great shape. No problem Ram sir you have a immaculate car waiting for you somewhere and soon will be your's. Keep you ears sharp and fingers crossed.
Old 11th April 2010, 12:46   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post

P.S: Hope you too will buy a Fiat 1100 sometime and start a Fiat Club in Kerala!
Arun we had a very well maintained Premier Padmini (1989 model), which we sold 2 years back. I learnt driving in this car when I was 11 years old, i remember the maneuvers that I did in this car, don't think most of todays cars will come anything close to that! BTW can you tell me differences (with pics) between various fiat models like President, 1100, Delight, Economy etc. I know differences between a Select and Super Select

Spike
Old 11th April 2010, 13:03   #439
Senior - BHPian

Ram: Since you are looking for pin point originality, I strongly suggest not to go for this car. Since you say its in great condition, let someone else who wants a fiat and not particular about originality pick. You just keep an eye for S1 with bucket seats and floor gear from Nissan. Over a period of time, you will surely find one. It took me over 100 days to find my S1. Even I too was particular about this model. Arun helped me find it in 100 days, if not it could have been 300 days. I got everything on my car including tinted glasses. Just the AC wasnt there, I dont really mind since Bangalore weather doesnt really demand one. You can live without AC

See the magic of Internet, TBHP and our clubs. If not, you may not have known about that car for much more longer time.
Old 11th April 2010, 13:05   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Arun we had a very well maintained Premier Padmini (1989 model), which we sold 2 years back. I learnt driving in this car when I was 11 years old, i remember the maneuvers that I did in this car, don't think most of todays cars will come anything close to that!
Oh! Good to know this. Then there are more reasons for you to buy a Fiat!
Quote:
BTW can you tell me differences (with pics) between various fiat models like President, 1100, Delight, Economy etc. I know differences between a Select and Super Select

Spike
Fiat 1100 Delight. 1965 - 1972

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00004.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00010.jpg

Premier President 1973Just Cosmetic difference from Fiat 1100 Delight

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dscn0196.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dscn0198.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dscn0191.jpg

Premier Padmini 1974 - 1997
There were models like Economy- Base model of Padmini. It had body colored bumpers. See my Garage in my profile, My dad's white Padmini Economy.

Other models like Standard, Deluxe and S1.
Old 11th April 2010, 13:14   #441
Senior - BHPian

so Arun you mean President is the same as Delite with some cosmetic difference, what are they? in that case I will be happy to have one and I have seen one kept aside and need to find the owner and follow up, can you help me by posting pictures of the interiors and engine bay pictures please.
Old 11th April 2010, 13:20   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
so Arun you mean President is the same as Delite with some cosmetic difference, what are they? in that case I will be happy to have one and I have seen one kept aside and need to find the owner and follow up, can you help me by posting pictures of the interiors and engine bay pictures please.
In President - Grill and PAL monogram, wheel caps, meter, horn button, dicky "President" badge, bumpers are different from Delight.

Go through this thread for President details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...president.html
Old 11th April 2010, 14:01   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
BTW can you tell me differences (with pics) between various fiat models like President, 1100, Delight, Economy etc. I know differences between a Select and Super Select
To add to Arun's info., you can go through this post as well:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/264501-post5.html
Old 11th April 2010, 19:29   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Ok point taken, but the mechanic clearly says that they have modified the cooling system to that of a S1 which initially was like the old PP. Another interesting point here is about the head itself it has the manifold heating pod (pipe channeled from the radiator to the intake manifold -- like the one's present in the original 1100's from fiat) which tends me to believe that its a s1 head. So if one needs to believe that the chas%sis plate has been modified then the theory of mechanic strongly saying about the conversion of the cooling system and the car indeed being a 93 Be will not be correct. I have checked the plate where the eng / chassis number is present and it says H93 I should have compared the chassis number embosed on the chassis with the one on the plate.
Manifold heating water pot was present even in pre-S1 cars. One can never make out a engine from that. As I previously mentioned please check the cavities near the sparkplugs if they are filled with metal pointing towards an S1. Also how can the mechanic be so sure that the cooling system is adapted later on ? Can you please explain his point of view. If it is a Nissan transmission, it would have a clutch cable instead of a linkage. It is as simple as that .

Ram, if you liked the car overall then you must consider retaining it. I am 90% sure it is not a mixed-matched car but a S1 with an old registration. Please post more detailed photographs of the car and more specifically the enginebay, we would be able to solve the whole confusion right here on the forum itself within a few posts

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 11th April 2010, 19:33   #445
Senior - BHPian

@Aadheesh.I will soon post more pics of the engine bay.
Even im very confused to buy this Padmini or wait for another.
Old 11th April 2010, 19:39   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Manifold heating water pot was present even in pre-S1 cars. One can never make out a engine from that
Now this is news to me, most of the (or rather all) padmini's that I have seen before s1 and after Delights did not feature this heating pod. I am not sure if this was selectively offered like the Piesburg carb. My late 93 PP does not have this as well. The engine bay of my PP has been posted in the same thread

Quote:
Also how can the mechanic be so sure that the cooling system is adapted later on ? Can you please explain his point of view.
The car he claims has been serviced by him from the start and he vouches for the changes done with respect to the cooling system by him. The mechanic in question is a wizard with words -- capable to showing heaven in one's palm so personally I take his words with a pinch of salt always

Last edited by Cyberdoctorind : 11th April 2010 at 19:43.
Old 11th April 2010, 19:50   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Now this is news to me, most of the (or rather all) padmini's that I have seen before s1 and after Delights did not feature this heating pod. I am not sure if this was selectively offered like the Piesburg carb. My late 93 PP does not have this as well. The engine bay of my PP has been posted in the same thread
The manifold heating pot system is originally Fiats design which was present right since Selects, SuperSelects, Delights till somewhere around either late Delights or Presidents. Later on it was reintroduced by Premier in later Padminis. My 88 Padmini did not have it but my 91 Padmini has it and was present in all cars till the end and was not specific to a certain trim of cars. So it must have been introduced in or after 1988 (most probably for 1991 emission norms).

Regards,
Adheesh
Old 11th April 2010, 20:20   #448
BHPian

Quote:
The manifold heating pot system is originally Fiats design which was present right since Selects, SuperSelects, Delights till somewhere around either late Delights or Presidents. Later on it was reintroduced by Premier in later Padminis. My 88 Padmini did not have it but my 91 Padmini has it and was present in all cars till the end and was not specific to a certain trim of cars. So it must have been introduced in or after 1988 (most probably for 1991 emission norms).

Regards,
Adheesh
This is becoming more confusing. If that's the case why has my 93 december made Padmini deluxe be did not have this feature
Old 11th April 2010, 21:05   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am 90% sure it is not a mixed-matched car but a S1 with an old registration.
Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
What does this mean?

If its S1 itself, then did some mechanic fix the Deluxe BE badge?
Old 11th April 2010, 21:16   #450
Senior - BHPian

Like Adheesh pointed, more likely its an S1 with registration certificate of old Padmini. Various reasons why this could have done. One reason could be owner lost papers and found a valid Padmini paper and punched engine number and chassis number to the S1 and changed the registration plates. Its also a common practice to change engine/chassis/registration number on stolen cars. RC book's of scrapped Padmini's, where officially its registration is not cancelled can be easily obtained from scrap dealers.

These are just pointers. Try to validate the history of the car properly. If everything goes well, pick it. Only thing will be a new car bearing an older number. Practically a legal car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks