Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:04   #1096
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Awesome sai. Yea Revzilla is pretty good with their shipping and are fast.
Are you back in India already? How do/did you take the helmet back with you? It will really help a bunch of folks asking on transporting helmets
I took back the helmet in the same packing/carton as I received it. The helmet was inside an HJC box, which was put in a bigger brown carton. I was travelling by BA, which allowed me two check in baggages. It was quite easy - The TSA did open up the helmet box but there has been no damages from their end. At bangalore I had to put it through customs check but that was just a formality once they knew i was carrying a motorcycle helmet. I think the customs guy was slightly amused as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Excellent, do post your ride reviews without fail. But did you consider AIROH, did you consider, KBC, did you consider AGV. All these are available in India... And personally, you could have chosen a bit more appealing livery, this looks a little old school. But for now, enjoy imported HJC.

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks mate! I will post it soon. I could find Airoh on revzilla, and wasnt considering KBC. My budget was within 100-150$ and that was still cheaper than buying an airoh i guess.

And yeah i loved the vintage striped look for one, and plus was quite adamant on having a light/white base color for my helmet. And i absolutely detest having matching bikes matching helmets. not like its a saree and blouse, a bike and a helmet. and also those weird tribal designs, skulls, crosses, hearts with crosses, skulls with crosses etc are too passe. or maybe im just getting older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Congratulations!

The time to use this helmet is NOW I use an Arai and Suomy with a karizma, a piddly bike should never be an excuse for not using a good helmet if you already have it
ha ha ! i was expecting someone to admonish me and order me to wear it sooner than later. Il wear it soon, need to add a riding jacket and a pair of gloves too. Will be visiting spartan soon.

And yeah, realised in the company of your other bikes karizma is definitely a piddly bike!
sai_ace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 21:29   #1097
BHPian

My 10 year old AGV. Got it for 2.6 K at JC Road, Blr. Still in pristine condition and compliments my Duke 390
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20130913_151148-copy.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20130913_151221-copy.jpg  

Old 23rd November 2013, 10:34   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
My 10 year old AGV. Got it for 2.6 K at JC Road, Blr. Still in pristine condition and compliments my Duke 390
From what I've read, helmets need to be replaced after 5 years, even if it hadn't taken a blow in an accident. So do change it whenever possible.
prateekm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 22:27   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
I took back the helmet in the same packing/carton as I received it. The helmet was inside an HJC box, which was put in a bigger brown carton. I was travelling by BA, which allowed me two check in baggages. It was quite easy - The TSA did open up the helmet box but there has been no damages from their end. At bangalore I had to put it through customs check but that was just a formality once they knew i was carrying a motorcycle helmet. I think the customs guy was slightly amused as well.

Thanks mate! I will post it soon. I could find Airoh on revzilla, and wasnt considering KBC. My budget was within 100-150$ and that was still cheaper than buying an airoh i guess.

And yeah i loved the vintage striped look for one, and plus was quite adamant on having a light/white base color for my helmet. And i absolutely detest having matching bikes matching helmets. not like its a saree and blouse, a bike and a helmet. and also those weird tribal designs, skulls, crosses, hearts with crosses, skulls with crosses etc are too passe. or maybe im just getting older.
Getting older? Indeed, I guess, as the lunatic graphics are almost loved by most mid age. As grey matter indeed greys the design chosen tends to be always on the simple side. Plus side of aging if you ask me.

Quote:
Superlikey. I had to look twice, so great to see a helmet in such a good condition. I hope you used those helmet in all these years.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 24th November 2013, 22:50   #1100
BHPian

Quote:
Superlikey. I had to look twice, so great to see a helmet in such a good condition. I hope you used those helmet in all these years.

Cheers!
VJ

well it was in attic since the time I parted with my Kawa Eliminator in 2006 or so. now that my 390 DoG (Duke of Goa) is on prowl, my AGV is seeing better days
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 23:02   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to ask and please don't get me wrong.

Is it a original AGV ? The reason I ask is that the AGV Emblem is not right at all - I mean the shape of it especially. Look at the ones below

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv.jpg

In addition to the above there is the black and white ones which comes on the K series

Further even 10 years ago INR 2,600 for AGV in Bangalore, I feel its highly unlikely as AGV used to cost over USD 175 (chepest) even those days.

Any case my advise is to get it replaced ans the integrity of the material would have considerably deteriorated and would be in a highly questinable state now

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 23:28   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sorry to ask and please don't get me wrong.

Is it a original AGV ? The reason I ask is that the AGV Emblem is not right at all - I mean the shape of it especially. Look at the ones below
...placed ans the integrity of the material would have considerably deteriorated and would be in a highly questinable state now

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Actually these aren't genuine AGVs genuine ones cost upwards of 5k. These were made by MPA of India with a joint venture. And their shells were bulky but were built like tank. Post 2000s these helmets were a novelty and looked real bad a** on the riders. And still they have quite a following.

But since AGV is not a standalone, they don't manufacture it anymore. But yes this is a genuine Indian made AGV, not the Italian made ones.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 24th November 2013, 23:55   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Actually these aren't genuine AGVs genuine ones cost upwards of 5k. These were made by MPA of India with a joint venture. And their shells were bulky but were built like tank. Post 2000s these helmets were a novelty and looked real bad a** on the riders. And still they have quite a following.

But since AGV is not a standalone, they don't manufacture it anymore. But yes this is a genuine Indian made AGV, not the Italian made ones.

Cheers!
VJ
Well this is built like a tank. Quite heavy and much bulkier than the normal ones and Got a manual n booklet and a guarantee n warranty card with the stuff. I don't know much about the genuine stuff but this guy has kept my head intact. I am happy about that and I wouldn't trade my dude for any other.
Old 25th November 2013, 10:49   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well this is built like a tank. Quite heavy and much bulkier than the normal ones and Got a manual n booklet and a guarantee n warranty card with the stuff. I don't know much about the genuine stuff but this guy has kept my head intact. I am happy about that and I wouldn't trade my dude for any other.
@ashkamath: I had this same lid (though in plain black colour) and agree that these helmets are built well, but 10 years is a bit too old. I changed my helmet after using it for almost 5 years, though there was no visible damage.

It is always better to be safe than sorry

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 11:43   #1105
BHPian

Quote:

If the person is bringing a helmet, riding gears etc, the helmet can be safely kept in the bag that it comes along or added bubble wrap just in case, and that is more than suffice to take care of the helmet. But two helmets with boxes would occupy a lot of space, so cramping them in a bag with bubblewrap is a nice proposition, just in case.

As with jackets, default, most jackets do come with a cover and there won't be any problems with jackets as such. In the case if you're importing them directly from US of A or elsewhere, then they ship with the box which is standard. It all depends on how big a duffle bag your friend has.

Cheers!
VJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
If space is not at a premium; please let the helmets be in their original packaging. The face shield is the one thats at most risk of getting damaged (read :scratched).

Scratch free shields are a myth; right up there with big foot & "work" from home.

PS - Which helmets? Cost? Supplier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Use bubble wrap and you can get some nice helmet bags for $under $15 with good lining that will protect your helmet and the bag can be used for storage too.

something like these
Link1
Link2

May be you should tell him to remove the visor and keep it in the cabin baggage.
Guys sorry but I've been AWOL for 4-5 days now, its been a really busy time and only just got a chance to reply. The lids been ordered. Its a Shoei Qwest TC2; not the correct colouring (lid is blue and white, I've a D390 and would have preferred a black and grey one) but at $200 from MotorCycle Gear it seemed like a pretty good buy.

My jacket too has been ordered from D-Store San Fransisco. Alien Leather Jacket (sadly not perforated) paid $480 for that. Its a big dent in the pocket but worth it I feel. Since the lid is so expensive I'm thinking of ordering a decent bag bubble wrapping it really well and stowing it in the check in baggage. What say?

Still trying to decide on lid for pillion.

Cheers!

imp!
Old 26th November 2013, 12:23   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Still trying to decide on lid for pillion.
MotorcycleGear has an insane HJC CL-16 closeout. For the price I paid for my helmet here in India, I could have been kitted out with a helmet AND jacket. Of course, I didn't spend $480 on a jacket. But a CL-16 for $40 is a steal.
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 14:01   #1107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Looking to buy a cheap helmet to replace my existing Suomy Spec 1R Extreme as a daily helmet. Below are my choices, suggestions please! I have 10 days to decide and order! Thanks in Advance! Other suggestions also welcome!
Guys, suggestions please? Running out of time!

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th November 2013 at 10:05. Reason: long quoted post edited
Old 26th November 2013, 15:02   #1108
Senior - BHPian

@sunnyboi

Are you planning to take it to race track. Else i have a couple of alternative suggestions you can look at for 200-300 pound price point.

Shoei RF1100 - 349USD ~
Shoei Multitech 330 USD
ICON - Airframe - A couple of models at less than 300 USD
Shark Vision R -

I suggest this because i looked at each one of them when my friend decided to gift me something completely out of the mind.

I got myself a Schuberth C3 and he picked it up for a really good price. Dont even ask me the price

If not for that i would have picked the Shoei Quest or Shoei RF1100.

Look at your head shape and head size and pick the right maker. Remember 96% of the time you can stick to the head measurement but 4% of those intermediates or long oval will not find some makers sizes comfortable.

Try LS2 which are to between intermediate and long oval. If that is crushing your sides or forehead, you have a more rounded shape and you fall into the 96% category.

The above statement i make by comparing my LS2 which is XL with my Shcuberth C3 which is Large and between these two the Schuberth actually relieved me of my forehead pressure and feels very snugly.

The LS2 was very snuggly around the sides and curves or elongates at front and back. This may help few on deciding their size.

One more point is if you have long nose like mine, chose your size based on where you fall. If you fall between two sizes and right on the brim, upsize in most of the makes. Shoei is slightly oval and hence you can stick to size chart. The more rounded ones are the types you may want to upsize. ANyway, apologize if some information is incorrect. Just sharing my experience.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:12   #1109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@sunnyboi

Are you planning to take it to race track.
I'm looking for an every day helmet, hence most of the choices I;ve made are the plain black helmet without graphics. I already have the Arai Corsair V for long rides and track days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Shoei RF1100 - 349USD ~
Shoei Multitech 330 USD
ICON - Airframe - A couple of models at less than 300 USD
Shark Vision R -

I suggest this because i looked at each one of them when my friend decided to gift me something completely out of the mind.

I got myself a Schuberth C3 and he picked it up for a really good price. Dont even ask me the price

If not for that i would have picked the Shoei Quest or Shoei RF1100.
Shoeis dont fit me well. I have tried the X11 and X12 before. Have to keep shoeis out, I'll explore the other suggested options!

Thanks for the advice as well, much appreciated!
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 15:27   #1110
BHPian

I use a LS2 phobia and its an XL size. I am having some discomfort around my right ears, it aches if I wear it continuously for more than half an hour. So is my helmet size wrong or is it the design factor of LS2?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks