Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2013, 18:20   #1111
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Guys, suggestions please? Running out of time!
My recommendations; all Sub US $200 (from revzilla.com):

Joe Rocket RKT prime
Bell Vortex
HJC CL 16
Scorpion EXO 700 (very few left; only silver remains now I guess)
KBC VR Laguna

Barring the KBC (DOT); all helmets are Snell 2010 certified (Scorpion is 2005). Vortex is the most expensive of them all. Rest all well within $125.

Hope this helps. I do not have personal experience using these helmets; but Revzilla has extensive user reviews.

This is my wishlist though. Except for Shoei RF 1100; I cannot justify the price in my head for the AGVs and Arai s; given that other repulatable manufacturers offer helmets meeting / exceeding the same cerifications that the former do
Old 26th November 2013, 19:47   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
MotorcycleGear has an insane HJC CL-16 closeout. But a CL-16 for $40 is a steal.
Hi, Is it 40 USD or 90 USD? I have been hunting for a good helmet, But never saw the CL 16 less than 90 USD online. Can you help with the link? Thanks!
Old 26th November 2013, 21:05   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullwingGT View Post
I use a LS2 phobia and its an XL size. I am having some discomfort around my right ears, it aches if I wear it continuously for more than half an hour. So is my helmet size wrong or is it the design factor of LS2?
Those types of aches are usually pressure point induced. Do you wear a balaclava? If no, then try considering a balaclava next time. When buying a helmet, you're almost always required to check for pressure points because every head is different. Yes design plays a significant factor as in like Shoei and Arai which fit a narrow and wide head pattern.

Try using a balaclava and see how it fares, if it is too tight even using a balaclava then try replacing the helmet.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 02:40   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for an every day helmet, hence most of the choices I;ve made are the plain black helmet without graphics. I already have the Arai Corsair V for long rides and track days.
You must look at models Shark, I think it costs around $250 or so. Not sure if you will get a good Bell this price range.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 09:08   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
Hi, Is it 40 USD or 90 USD? I have been hunting for a good helmet, But never saw the CL 16 less than 90 USD online. Can you help with the link? Thanks!
You can visit www.motorcyclegear.com and keep checking their CL-16 closeouts.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:05   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
MotorcycleGear has an insane HJC CL-16 closeout. For the price I paid for my helmet here in India, I could have been kitted out with a helmet AND jacket. Of course, I didn't spend $480 on a jacket. But a CL-16 for $40 is a steal.
Thanks Man! will be sure to consider this. Pretty great deal.

Quote:
Guys, suggestions please? Running out of time!
Sunny Boi the Dianese Stores have great deals going on AGV K4s its about 150 USD.
Old 27th November 2013, 12:09   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Sunny Boi the Dianese Stores have great deals going on AGV K4s its about 150 USD.
I'm in Germany and will be buying the lid either locally or through German web sites. Cannot purchase from USA :(
Old 27th November 2013, 12:54   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
I'm in Germany and will be buying the lid either locally or through German web sites. Cannot purchase from USA :(

Where in Germany? If near Dusseldorf, it'd be worth checking out the D-Store. They had some great deals last month. Sadly I felt the Berlin store would be better and I didn't pick up jacket or helmet.
Old 27th November 2013, 13:06   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Where in Germany? If near Dusseldorf, it'd be worth checking out the D-Store. They had some great deals last month. Sadly I felt the Berlin store would be better and I didn't pick up jacket or helmet.
Munich, There is a Dainese store somewhat close by office, will check it out this evening.

There is also a Suzuki/Aprilia showroom near my hotel which probably sells gear as well, thats on the list to check too.

Please suggest any more alternatives if you're aware.
Old 27th November 2013, 15:00   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use a LS2 phobia and its an XL size. I am having some discomfort around my right ears, it aches if I wear it continuously for more than half an hour. So is my helmet size wrong or is it the design factor of LS2?

You may be slightly round and not oval shape. I have the LS2 Rage FF301 and the new Schuberth C3. The LS2 is definitely intermediate oval while the schuberth is more rounded.

LS2 size was XL and still i used to get marks on my forehead. The fit and finish of LS2 is something beyond the price range.

If you are getting pain around your ears i think you need to look at your head shape and select more rounded helmets than oval ones. If space between your nose and the nose gaurd is very high probably you are using a long oval helmet.

Try something circular which gives a little more space right around the crown.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 22:33   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

If you are getting pain around your ears i think you need to look at your head shape and select more rounded helmets than oval ones. If space between your nose and the nose gaurd is very high probably you are using a long oval helmet.

Try something circular which gives a little more space right around the crown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post

Try using a balaclava and see how it fares, if it is too tight even using a balaclava then try replacing the helmet.

Cheers!
VJ
Thanks VJ and VW2010 for your response. First I will try Balaclava, do we get cotton ones that absorb sweat? I sweat a lot and in Chennai's weather in just 15 mins my head is fully soaked in sweat. Just for this reason I have almost given up active biking.

Regarding the shape of the head which category do I fall in according to someone posted in few posts back like most of us fall in 96% category for head shape, couldn't find that post.

Last edited by GullwingGT : 27th November 2013 at 22:38.
Old 28th November 2013, 10:34   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I sweat a lot and in Chennai's weather in just 15 mins my head is fully soaked in sweat. Just for this reason I have almost given up active biking.
Dont look anywhere other than ICON Airframe. These helmets are designed to flood gallons of air into the head. Its noisy but for city driving you can beat these helmets. My friend has one and it almost feels like you are riding with an open head. Its still compact, DOT and ECE approved, great interiors and fits the bill as well.

Solids are around 245-280 USD. I am recommending based on personal experience of using this from a friend of mine and riding inside our super hot chennai city.

It may not be great highway helmet because of the same design for its noisy at high speeds.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/icon...e-helmet-solid

Quote:
This is my wishlist though. Except for Shoei RF 1100; I cannot justify the price in my head for the AGVs and Arai s; given that other repulatable manufacturers offer helmets meeting / exceeding the same cerifications that the former do
The certification has nothing to do with the pricing. In fact the HJC CL-X6 Slash Helmet or the CL16 are less than 100$ but snell certified and completely eligible for a track day. The difference in pricing just keeps adding comfort and what you pay is over comfort. This includes weight, material used, compactness, size, inner fabric and material, features including internal visor, flip ups etc, noise, buffetting factor, accessories, pin lock etc. The price sometimes is worth it.

For example the RF1100 or the schoei quest or GT Air from Arai are some of the highest quality helmet with some of the best material and features and their price range starts from 365odd all the way to 600 USD.

I am lucky to get a SChuberth C3 and i will never in my life buy it from my own pocket. Good to have friends settled in US for this matter and blaming them to make them feel guilty and finally make them spend. Its an art.

But the C3 is a world of change. After a week of use this is my comparison. It just feels like you are riding your bike will all windows up and enough space to hear those honks and ambulance but a serene calmness, great vision and excellent clarity. Most of the new helmets have the later two but the lack of noise inside the helmet is just way way superior to anything i have ever used. ANd the thought that it is a modular helmet makes it more amazing.

Last edited by VW2010 : 28th November 2013 at 10:49.
Old 2nd December 2013, 23:11   #1123
BHPian

After using my Airoh J105 for close to 1.5 year I wanted a Modular helmet as a second helmet.

Ordered this last week from Acebiker (official reseller of LS2 in India), received in two days flat. For my 57cm head the only size available in India (L) is perfect fit on the sides but I had to fit the included top head foam padding for better fit, I still feel one more top head foam support will be still better:
http://www.acebiker.com/ls2-ff386-pe...-flipup-helmet

Chose white colour to complement my white D390 and also due to this:

Some photographs:Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_180229.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_180242.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_180355.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_220459.jpg

And this is how it looks while riding:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc01800.jpg

White per se was quite bland hence gave it some DIY stickering job today to go along with my D390 and also work as a safety reflector.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_220259.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_220325.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_220332.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_220520.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131202_220824.jpg
mrohit17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:23   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Titan enters helmet market under Fastrack brand
Quote:
After watches, jewellery and eyewear, Titan Company Ltd today announced its foray into the Rs 400 crore organised helmet market under its Fastrack brand, priced between Rs 1,495 and Rs 3,495.
Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/26800558.cms
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 05:43   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I cannot justify the price in my head for the AGVs and Arai s; given that other repulatable manufacturers offer helmets meeting / exceeding the same cerifications that the former do
Go for a AGV K4, great fibreglass helmet at a great price. FIbreglass > polycarbonate. I would pick up a fibreglass helmet anyday over polycarbonate for my head.

P.S Just picked up an AGV Horizon for a steal 150 GBP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks