Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2013, 11:31   #1126
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

LS2 build quality is quite good. They are slighly oversized a bit and more long oval but the features they provide are top notch for the price one pays.

They may not be one of the silent helmet but overall LS2 is good.

My recommendation when you pick an LS2 is to chose a size lower giving allowance to run in

This LS2 modular is a great pick over the Studds one and the liners are pretty neat, removable and washable.
Old 5th December 2013, 02:51   #1127
BHPian

Titan has launched a new range of helmets for bikers. Check this link - http://in.finance.yahoo.com/news/tit...141208625.html
Old 6th December 2013, 20:43   #1128

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

As I recently purchased a new Thunderbird 350, I have been spending a lot of time scouring the Internet for a essential accessories to go with the bull.
Specifically I've been looking for some good side luggage or a pair of decent saddlebags and some over-the-glasses eyewear (I am myopic). Up until now the only halfway decent options I've come up with are the Studds Driving Goggles and Studds Cruiser Box.
I would be really grateful if the patrons could give some advice as to what else can I consider and what they think of these to products.
A point to note is that I live in a relatively small city and most retailers don't stock such items at all. In fact the proprietors of the eyewear shops I checked out did not even know what OTG Driving Goggles are.
Old 6th December 2013, 21:13   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullwingGT View Post
Thanks VJ and VW2010 for your response. First I will try Balaclava, do we get cotton ones that absorb sweat? I sweat a lot and in Chennai's weather in just 15 mins my head is fully soaked in sweat. Just for this reason I have almost given up active biking.

Regarding the shape of the head which category do I fall in according to someone posted in few posts back like most of us fall in 96% category for head shape, couldn't find that post.
Forgive me for the late reply, AWOL. Most balaclavas are a blend of nylon and cotton and neoprene. And cheap ones are nothing but elasticized nylon ones which are basically useless and retail at a premium prices.

The one I use is M1 Balaclava close to 300 bucks and is an excellent balaclava. Many of my Chennai friends use them and have found to be comfortable. You can get them in Dollars and Pounds.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 11th December 2013, 20:48   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Visited the D-Store at Munich today, many thanks to imp! for the suggestion!

Bought an AGV K4 Evo from them, it fit well and they had one in matt black

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131211_153830.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 00:02   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

Attachment 1177145
Apart from the helmet, it'd be real great if you can provide us some snaps of the Silk Balaclava from Dainese. Let's see how it compares to mine.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 12th December 2013, 11:11   #1132
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1177145

Glad I could be of help SunnyBoi! How much was the helmet in the end? D-store chicago is selling them for approximately USD 150. I was thinking about it keenly but found a Scorpion EXO-1000 for 55 USD. Its heavy and a bit cumbersome but is perfect for a spare/city helmet at the price. The k4 EVO would have been splurge for a spare! What size did you buy? If you get a dark visor for a good price it will look positively evil on that helmet!

Cheers!

imp

Last edited by imp! : 12th December 2013 at 11:15.
Old 12th December 2013, 14:43   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
it'd be real great if you can provide us some snaps of the Silk Balaclava from Dainese. Let's see how it compares to mine.
Looks similar to other local cotton balaclavas but its super thin. Sticker price was 30 euros but I got it for free.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131212_100918.png
Views: 1977
Size:  369.2 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post

Glad I could be of help SunnyBoi! How much was the helmet in the end? D-store chicago is selling them for approximately USD 150. I was thinking about it keenly but found a Scorpion EXO-1000 for 55 USD. Its heavy and a bit cumbersome but is perfect for a spare/city helmet at the price. The k4 EVO would have been splurge for a spare! What size did you buy? If you get a dark visor for a good price it will look positively evil on that helmet!
Wow $150 is cheap! I paid 200 euros for mine, got a 20 euro tax refund receipt which I can claim at the airport.

I didn't want a dark visor, mist of my return journey from office will be in the night. Although the iridium visor on the Suomy was perfect because everything through it looked Yellow/Golden and it even enhanced visibility in the night!
Old 12th December 2013, 23:15   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks similar to other local cotton balaclavas but its super thin. Sticker price was 30 euros but I got it for free.
Close to 3000 bucks for a Dainese stuff. And I remember buying a thinner balaclava which I now use to wipe the screen my laptop. Yes it was very thin and guess what even my stubby beard was poking out through the balaclava when I wore them, swapped them for a thicker grade cotton blended ones. But that's my experience.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 13th December 2013, 11:14   #1135
BHPian

Quote:

Wow $150 is cheap! I paid 200 euros for mine, got a 20 euro tax refund receipt which I can claim at the airport.

I didn't want a dark visor, mist of my return journey from office will be in the night. Although the iridium visor on the Suomy was perfect because everything through it looked Yellow/Golden and it even enhanced visibility in the night!

Man 200 Euro is a good price for a good lid. Everyone I know who has used Italian helmets swear by the comfort levels. Usually the below 200 USD price for good helmets only comes about with very limited stock and either very large or small sizes, this was my first real helmet purchase and those blowout sales sometimes work for me as my helmet size is small. What happened to your Suomy?
Old 14th December 2013, 13:01   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

HJC CL-16 Machine in Grey from Performance Racing Store, Tardeo in Mumbai. Quite happy with it.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131214_124149-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131214_124209-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20131214_124233-large.jpg
FlyingSpur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 17:55   #1137
BHPian

Does anyone use an SOL Helmet here ? Just saw this one on bikegear.in, http://bikegear.in/helmets/sol-helme...unicorn-yellow, looks great

If anyone has ever purchased anything from the above website, kindly do let me know if its worth the price. Have been wanting to upgrade from my 3 year old LS2 helmet from quite some time now.
Old 15th December 2013, 20:58   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Manohar View Post
Does anyone use an SOL Helmet here ? .
I use the SOL. Infact I am so impressed with it that I have two of them now. Superb build and DOT certified. The visor is also excellent in terms of optics. I use mine both on the street and the track and give it a big thumbs up.

Why dont you get in touch with Spartan Pro Gear (www.spartanprogear.com) and ask them to ship it to you. They are the importers and distributors of SOL helmets in India and you can rest assured of getting the genuine stuff from them.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 22:41   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
I use the SOL. Infact I am so impressed with it that I have two of them now. Superb build and DOT certified. The visor is also excellent in terms of optics. I use mine both on the street and the track and give it a big thumbs up.

Why dont you get in touch with Spartan Pro Gear (www.spartanprogear.com) and ask them to ship it to you. They are the importers and distributors of SOL helmets in India and you can rest assured of getting the genuine stuff from them.
Thanks for the info bro. Ill book it from this website you've mentioned. I think the prices seem good enough for the products. High time to replace my current helmet, did a lot of online searching but couldn't find the address you mentioned until now, so thanks a bunch. Plus the SOL range looks really good.
Old 16th December 2013, 15:11   #1140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Manohar View Post
Does anyone use an SOL Helmet here ? Just saw this one on bikegear.in, http://bikegear.in/helmets/sol-helme...unicorn-yellow, looks great

If anyone has ever purchased anything from the above website, kindly do let me know if its worth the price. Have been wanting to upgrade from my 3 year old LS2 helmet from quite some time now.
+1 to what Narula123 has said.

SOL helmets are good and VFM. These same helmets are sold abroad under the brand name of Gmax (the visor of my SOL have GMAX printed on it), and are DOT certified. They offer good quality fit and finish and the visor is optically correct (as claimed by them in the website).

Here is my SOL - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3282357

Here is the webbikeworld review of Gmax GM68 (aka SOL SL-68S) - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/gmax/gm68s/

Revzilla closeout of GMax GM68 - http://www.revzilla.com/product/gmax-gm68-helmet-solid

We are getting the same helmet here at a lesser price point than the closeout deal - now, that is something real VFM in my books
(As far as I know, the only difference between the international versions and what we get here is, we do not get the extra dark visor and extra LED cover along with the helmet)

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 16th December 2013 at 15:14.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed