Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:41   #3691
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Has anyone tried the Zeus Voyager pants (https://zeusmotorcyclegear.com/produ...orcycle-pants/) ?
I searched this thread but there are no results.
Haven't tried this specific pant, but did suffer the Zeus generic no-name riding pant for thousands of kms some 5 years ago, this one looks quite similar.

My experience was bad, the front zipper literally fell off on the first long ride, and the whole thing was very uncomfortable because of lack of ventilation. At this price point, might be better to look at Bikeratti riding jeans instead.

Last edited by RiderZone : 3rd May 2021 at 10:46.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 21:38   #3692
BHPian

Guys any inputs on the Knox armored shirt ? Seems to pick up good reviews.

Planning to redo my riding gear and feel that this is a great option which provides CE level 2 protection + abrasion resistance.

Planning to use this as below:

1. Weekend rides - Dry-fit base layer + Armored shirt + Motocross jersey
2. Long runs - Dry-fit base layer + Armored shirt + Current mesh jacket without armors (if weather permits)
3. Rain / Winters - Dry-fit base layer + Armored shirt + Rain liner / Current mesh jacket without armors

Will continue using current riding pants + boots until I save enough to upgrade them.
Old 10th May 2021, 21:14   #3693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Guys any inputs on the Knox armored shirt ? Seems to pick up good reviews.

Planning to redo my riding gear and feel that this is a great option which provides CE level 2 protection + abrasion resistance.

Planning to use this as below:

1. Weekend rides - Dry-fit base layer + Armored shirt + Motocross jersey
2. Long runs - Dry-fit base layer + Armored shirt + Current mesh jacket without armors (if weather permits)
3. Rain / Winters - Dry-fit base layer + Armored shirt + Rain liner / Current mesh jacket without armors

Will continue using current riding pants + boots until I save enough to upgrade them.
Have you worn something skin tight and gone on a ride, offroad?

Your skin has pores. Pores need to breathe. They can breathe only if left open. If you wear something skin tight, there will be zero air circulation over your skin. That is why you wear loose fitting clothes in the desert.

This armoured shirt is perfect for Europe or North America. Not of much use elsewhere. Dry fit under that will make things even worse. You will hate yourself very very soon.

Ofcourse you can always buy it and let us know i did speak to multiple people who have tried it and then dumped it for a plastic roost guard and a jersey so that air circulation is unrestricted.

And i do the same. I might also look for a simple kevlar shirt at some point.

Last edited by Red Liner : 10th May 2021 at 21:20.
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 14:52   #3694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Have you worn something skin tight and gone on a ride, offroad?
Thanks for your reply Red Liner. I was expecting your response on this

Well I will clarify first that I have not done hardcore enduro, but yes I have been in wild in broad daylight with my dry fit layer + jacket. And it was quite fine at my end.

I read up multiple reviews and folks from areas such as South Africa / Texas etc. have mentioned that the shirt is quite manageable at around ~30 degrees.

I agree with you that I will have to try this out and let you guys know as this is the only option which provides both decent impact protection & abrasion resistance in a sleek package.

Now only if someone is travelling from UK sometime soon.
Would appreciate if anyone in community is willing to carry this for me from UK to Bangalore as the shipping charges are quite high !!
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 00:35   #3695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post

There was a mess up on my part, where I cut through the tape a tad too much and ended up scoring the back of the jacket with my blade through the packaging. I have duct-taped it for now but I'm looking for tips on how to get it repaired. The person at Rynox was rather worried when I told him about this, but asked me to reply to their mail about the warranty asking for repair instructions.
I've googled a bit and found nothing so far and I'm still searching. If you guys could guide me, it would be immensely helpful.

Thanks a lot!
Actually, repair is quite easier.
I dont recall if I shared this info earlier here, pls excuse if duplicate.

The Riding Gear thread-patchpantjacket.jpg

A) About 3 yrs back my riding pant had a small tear (got stuck somewhere) on the thigh pocket area. Going by funda "stitch in time, saves nine", I wanted to get it repaired. A riding buddy referred me a tailor - luckily in my area itself - who also stitch repairs such pants / jackets, apart from regular tailoring works. Basically the sewing machine needs a thicker needle and some patience. I also had some spare textile patches which were made in lot by another colleague and gifted to many in our group. The tailor did a nice job of covering that torn area, and charged less than 50 bucks.

B) Just 2 months back (in Mar'21), our Versys group had a meetup at Pachmarhi (MP), 42 riders across India attended, we had an awesome time there. Before starting for the trip, I wanted to "decorate" my jacket. So took out some of those left over patches and went to the same tailor, explained the positioning of the patches. The patches were velcro layered, but I asked him to just stitch it , as I dont want to remove patches. The results were awesome, and he charged me less than 100 bucks.

hope this info helps.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 22:51   #3696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Actually, repair is quite easier.
I dont recall if I shared this info earlier here, pls excuse if duplicate.

Attachment 2155274

A) About 3 yrs back my riding pant had a small tear (got stuck somewhere) on the thigh pocket area. Going by funda "stitch in time, saves nine", I wanted to get it repaired. A riding buddy referred me a tailor - luckily in my area itself - who also stitch repairs such pants / jackets, apart from regular tailoring works. Basically the sewing machine needs a thicker needle and some patience. I also had some spare textile patches which were made in lot by another colleague and gifted to many in our group. The tailor did a nice job of covering that torn area, and charged less than 50 bucks.

B) Just 2 months back (in Mar'21), our Versys group had a meetup at Pachmarhi (MP), 42 riders across India attended, we had an awesome time there. Before starting for the trip, I wanted to "decorate" my jacket. So took out some of those left over patches and went to the same tailor, explained the positioning of the patches. The patches were velcro layered, but I asked him to just stitch it , as I dont want to remove patches. The results were awesome, and he charged me less than 100 bucks.

hope this info helps.

regards,
Pranav
Thank you so much!

Rynox had also suggested I get a patch there shortly after I made the post.

In any case, since I had claimed warranty on the fastener, I had to send the jacket across to them for repairs.

They went ahead and had the tear stitched and patched.

The Riding Gear thread-img20210515wa0012.jpg

They've done a fantastic job and they kept asking me if they were fine with me having the patch on the back since it looks out of place. But I'm fine with it and they are still suggesting patches. I haven't decided what to get, so suggestions are welcome.

I would also like to mention that Rynox is very supportive and responsive and their team is quite friendly and I'm very happy with both their product and service.
adwaith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 08:15   #3697
Distinguished - BHPian

Longer torso mesh jacket

Almost every mesh jacket i see are cut higher than the hip. Almost like a sports fit. I ride a small adventure bike and i like something that covers my butt crack - a bit atleast.

I find the longer torso - tail - more comfortable as well. Almost a touring fit.

Is there anything out there - light and simple? Just need something to run around town and not for touring.

The only Indian made brand i will look at is Viaterra. Just a personal preference.

EDIT: I think the Knox Urbane Pro MK2 fits my requirement.

Nitin, thanks again for bringing that up. I went through it in detail and its not skin tight. I think this should work. Now, lets find them lol. I'll take black denim :P

Last edited by Red Liner : 17th May 2021 at 08:37.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 13:56   #3698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Longer torso mesh jacket

EDIT: I think the Knox Urbane Pro MK2 fits my requirement.

Nitin, thanks again for bringing that up. I went through it in detail and its not skin tight. I think this should work. Now, lets find them lol. I'll take black denim :P
Yep. I researched a lot and found this to be the best of lot.
They really fit the versatile need - normal city run, touring (with layer for added protection), off roading (with or without jersey). Of course if one needs something for specific need, other options are out there.

Black denim for me too !!
Do let me know if some leads come up. I have contacted outdoorgear guys as they are official importer of knox products. Sadly, they will update me about the availability by June end.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 14:03   #3699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Yep. I researched a lot and found this to be the best of lot.
They really fit the versatile need - normal city run, touring (with layer for added protection), off roading (with or without jersey). Of course if one needs something for specific need, other options are out there.

Black denim for me too !!
Do let me know if some leads come up. I have contacted outdoorgear guys as they are official importer of knox products. Sadly, they will update me about the availability by June end.
Keep us posted about that. Makes best sense to buy in India for a small margin more

I will get the pants as well.

We aren't going anywhere until June. Expect lockdowns and or serious curfews to continue well into June!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2021, 14:05   #3700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Has anyone tried the Zeus Voyager pants (https://zeusmotorcyclegear.com/produ...orcycle-pants/) ?
I searched this thread but there are no results.
If you're considering buying gear from Zeus, I suggest that you watch before you buy.
adwaith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 23:35   #3701
BHPian

Kind of a noob question but here goes anyway - how many riding pants must one carry for a trip lasting 2 or more weeks? Experiences would really help
Old 8th June 2021, 06:50   #3702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
Kind of a noob question but here goes anyway - how many riding pants must one carry for a trip lasting 2 or more weeks? Experiences would really help
One. Wash it during an off day in regular shampoo and drip dry in the sun if you feel its nasty.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 17:07   #3703
BHPian

The marketing on the Motorcycle Gears is complete garbage. There are brands having no experience with motorcycling selling safety boot as Riding boots and it gets worse.

Motorcycle Safety gears are technical products. A very good manufacturer of motorcycle luggage can make the worst safety gears. Please buy from the brands that Invest money in R&D. It's better to save for a few months and then get better gear than wasting money on some mediocre ones for the short term and then upgrading.

Saftey Gears are insurance, don't cheap out on the premium.

Riding jackets
The most common probably the gateway drug for motorcycling gears.
For this reason alone there are many players.

Our country is hot & humid,(unless you are blessed to stay in mountains).
If the gear is not enough ventilated it's gonna end up dehydrating you.

The CE ratings should be from EN1621. Make sure the manufacturer is not playing a cheap trick of calling CE rated jacket by putting CE Rated Zippers (Sorry can't recall an example to quote).

Motocross jersey will not save you from abrasion on a road crash like leather or Specialized fabrics. Buy the gear according to your style of riding.

Boots
One of the most expensive items on the gear list.
The Boots are a technical product Alpine starts Tech 10 north of 50K for a reason. Good Riding Boots generally last at least 5 years. Popular brands also sell replacement soles to increase that period.
As a thumb of Rule - do not buy boots that are not originated in Europe.
Avoid made-in-China boots unless they are warranted in India.

Helmets
I Will not recommend anyone buying a helmet that is just ISI/DOT marked.
They are self-certified. GO for at least ECE.
And ECE helmets will have the marking of ECE 22.05 on the helmet strap. If it's not there don't buy it. The ECE stickers on the rear of the helmet are just for marketing.
If you can extend your budget go for something which has rotational protection, MIPS etc

Knee-Braces
If you frequently ride above 100KMPH or in motorsports. It's a must.
A top-of-the-line knee brace will cost around 60k INR but thats' a fraction of what you'll pay for ligament surgery. The Bionic Knee Guards are not knee braces.

Knee Guards, Elbow Guards, etc
The market is filled with them. Do extensive research before you buy.

MOD NOTE - Please do not use bold and or large fonts unless absolutely necessary. Please take out some time to proof read your reply for any spelling / grammatical mistakes.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd June 2021 at 00:00. Reason: Mod note attached.
ambarkhan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 01:04   #3704
BHPian

Waterproof gloves

I've always ridden in the rains with my oldest pair of leather gloves. Nothing happens much to the pair of gloves if you let them dry on their own!

But this year I evaluated the following options:

1. RE Intrepid CE1 rain proof gloves that come with a waterproof membrane.
To break down the specs which says,
  • TPU waterproof membrane + Bemberg lining for all-weather riding
TPU is nothing but plastic so it's a blocker, nothing comes in, nothing goes out. This is a polyester (textile) glove.

Bonus is the CE 1 KP EN13594:2015 Certification

I got this pair for Rs. 2,250 from RE Apparel website and it was delivered within a week.

Sizing - As with all membrane based gloves you're advised to get a size larger than you normally wear.
I got an XL. Fingers have some room but rest of the palm area is comfortable to wear and take off.

I did a short spin with the gloves but it didn't rain that time. Tested under the water tap, the outer polyester gets wet but the hands remain dry. But this pair is definitely not for sunny days!

The gloves are made in Indonesia.

2. Raida AqDry Waterproof Gloves
At Rs. 500 more this adds a leather palm, breathable membrane and a finger wiper. This can also serve as your winter gloves.
  • Outer shell: i)Stretch polyamide fabric with Water Repellent Coating
    ii)Leather & Synthetic suede reinforcements on palm
  • Waterproofing: AqDry™ technology Membrane (6500mm H2O)
  • Breathability: AqDry™ technology Membrane (10250g/m2/24hrs)
I would say this is also a good option if you don't already have multiple gloves.

3. Bikeratti Meridian waterproof gloves
Now the price has increased to Rs. 3,990 for a full leather construction.
  • Bikeratti’s proprietary DoubleDry Technology uses a membrane based structure that keeps the gloves waterproof (up to 5000mm water column), windproof and breathable (5000g/m2/24hrs) at the same time.
This feels expensive in front of the Raida but this has been around for some years now and has good reviews online. What I like is the sleek profile and the full leather construction.

The other weather proof gloves are bulky and resembles skiing gloves and are only relevant for Ladakh rides.

4. Shima Touring Dry Waterproof gloves
This is the least bulky full gauntlet weather proof pair of gloves. This has NextDry membrane for waterproofing and thermal lining. This is also a CE rated glove, details are not provided.

At Rs. 3,999 this a good pick if full gauntlets is your preferred style for monsoons and winter gloves!

All of the above gloves have touch screen compatible index and thumb tips.

I didn't want to spend much for a few months of riding in the rains so picked up the most affordable option. I'll come back with my experience of riding in the rains with this pair!

PS. The above options are which I found most value for money and interesting. There are many expensive and exotic materials on offer which I'm not discussing here.

Happy riding in the rains.
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 22nd June 2021 at 01:06. Reason: Formatting
surjaonwheelz is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:57   #3705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

Waterproof gloves

I've always ridden in the rains with my oldest pair of leather gloves. Nothing happens much to the pair of gloves if you let them dry on their own!

But this year I evaluated the following options:

1. RE Intrepid CE1 rain proof gloves that come with a waterproof membrane.

Bonus is the CE 1 KP EN13594:2015 Certification

I got this pair for Rs. 2,250 from RE Apparel website and it was delivered within a week.

I didn't want to spend much for a few months of riding in the rains so picked up the most affordable option. I'll come back with my experience of riding in the rains with this pair!

Happy riding in the rains.
surjaonwheelz
I usually prefer the ViaTerra full gauntlet for touring/highway run duties but after last weekend's ride in torrential rain - viaterra has to be 'benched' till sunny days are here again. I've been eyeing the Interpid gloves for sometime now and was hunting for some reviews till your post showed up. Like you, I found the price point bearable (in today's day and age) and having previously owned RE gear - they usually are value for money. Guess I'll take the plunge for this one then. Thanks for your views!
TheVaas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks