Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2023, 10:33   #38056
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuriancm View Post
Please see the my dash cam video of an accident : my u turn was in a hurry, but what about the speed at which Duster was coming?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=9hWdB0IfhNE
Sorry missed to see this video. Can you please re-upload?
Old 19th May 2023, 10:35   #38057
BHPian

IMO The conduct I saw in the video was unforgivable.

My lawyerly instincts just kicked in looking at the utter foolishness demonstrated in the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Why o why, did you lend this sage advice and save his blushes ? In fact, that video deserved to be on the internet with the title "see, this is how a TBHP-ian behaved on road, who gave him membership"
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 10:58   #38058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayan15 View Post
Hence I saved a screen recording of the same.
May I request you to please share the video if you do not mind? I am sure a lot of Team-Bhp members would like to see the same.
Dhillon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 13:28   #38059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
In case this accident had led to a police case/motor accident claim, please take this video down, don't volunteer incriminating evidence through the internet.
And now you are his accomplice for suggesting him that.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 15:01   #38060
BHPian

Guilty as charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
And now you are his accomplice for suggesting him that.
setuniket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 15:03   #38061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have posted this anecdote of my father's driving lessons many times, let me repeat it now...

Dad, "When does a pedestrian have right of way?"
Me, "Duh, this... Duh, that... Duh, then..."
Dad, "Not good enough."
Me, "Duh, ok... when?"
Dad, "ALWAYS! We are not allowed to run over them!"
Sir,
I must confess I was not really aware of such an significant imperative.

And when I read it in one of your posts in this thread, it came like a revelation and I was reminded of the adage - "Common sense is not so common. "

I must thank you and the TBHP for such invaluable pieces of wisdom that could save our peace.
poised2drive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 15:48   #38062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
May I request you to please share the video if you do not mind? I am sure a lot of Team-Bhp members would like to see the same.
Definitely, once I get home from work.

Peace,
Sayan
Sayan15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 16:57   #38063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Claw View Post

Here I just need your opinion in the current situation who is at fault ?

Next day itself my bike was fixed and sold off by my dad.

So, I just want to know how that is being a safe rider on the road and taking all the precautions, still we end up in fault and the police always side with the person injured.

Correct me if I am wrong, I still do think that it was the persons fault which led to my parents never allowing me to have a motorcycle again in my life.
TBH both the parties are at fault here for the accident only the % of responsibility differs. It was kind of you to take him to the hospital and in cases like yours it is better to settle. Since he is a pedestrian, people and police will take his side no matter which part of India this would have happened.

Also you are not the only one to face this buddy I myself a couple of months ago had such an incident. So I was going on my bike wearing riding boots, gloves, and helmet. Ditched the jacket because it was hot. Now I was crossing a road with the entire traffic going up and down. Suddenly a bike comes and t-boned me. He fell off and broke his leg and I, thanks to slow speed, fell but not with that much momentum. Next thing both the bikes were damaged badly but I stood up with small cuts and bruises on my right arm. Public gathered and eyewitnesses supported me for not being at fault as he came out of no where and hit me. But since the poor guy was withering in pain with a dangling leg they were all sympathetic to him. Soon I and some passerby arranged for a car to drop him to a nearest government hospital. Both the bikes were sized by police and I was asked to get first aid.

Uptill here all was good, and next I got my tetnus shot and basic first aid. The next day police called me and said the other party wants to settle and they are not pressing charges. This really got me and I said in my mind I should be the one pressing charges on the moron for the accident and damages and not the other way around. Nevertheless we went and met the family, here all the drama started.

Apparently he was son of a daily wage worker and took the bike of their contractor to run an errand. His father expressed his inability to pay for his medical expenses and demanded 50k. I told them it was not my fault and he was completely wrong to take a turn when everyone was going either up or down. Policeman said there is no such thing as 100% fault and both parties are responsible. So we paid him 30k that was more than 50 percent of his initial expenses and the rest was to be borne by his employer. To sum it up the other guy didn’t had even a helmet or a driving license on him, still police took his side and I had to pay for his mistakes. The reason is simple he was more seriously injured and economically weaker. Now my bike has been parked at home and Mom has said a flat no for repair. Since then I only take car for any kind of commute.

So to end I was between a car and a concrete mixer truck and there is a chance that guy not seeing me would have taken that as a gap and tried to squeeze in. My fault was that just two seconds before I overtook the truck to avoid being in his blindspot and came in between them. Had I not done so he would have missed me by a whisker. So there it is buddy a part where I made a mistake and forgot this is India and people on two- and four-wheelers move like a Queen on a chessboard no matter the direction of the traffic movement.
AROO7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 17:15   #38064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
I am late to this thread, couldn't see the video as it's been taken down.
OP took a callous, absolutely careless U-turn without stopping to check oncoming traffic. The U-turn was made at 30-35kph with a little bit of slowing down from 50kph. I can say the speeds because the dashcam showed it and I remember. At the U-turn, the dashcam video clearly shows a vehicle fast approaching the intersection but I'm sure OP did not pay enough attention (or worse thought they would stop), because there was no attempt to slow down.

The actual impact was never seen. But it was obvious the oncoming car (Duster) would not be able to stop. The Duster was in the frame of the dashcam video meaning they were close enough to the intersection. From the video they look fast as well but there is no way we can comment whether they were over-speeding. In any case, that is pointless because even at slow speeds, a crash would have been unavoidable in my opinion.

There was a continuous horn, screeching sound of the tires skidding and a loud crash sound. OP probably understood just before the crash about the inevitable because the vehicle did not attempt to complete the U-turn and went straight to edge of the road. To make things worse, there was a man with a young boy (probably 5 or 6 years old or lesser) on a bike waiting by the road side. OP's car (post the crash with the oncoming car) went and bumped into them (based on dashcam speed it was around 30kph). The video cuts there.

This is me being as descriptive as possible after watching the video a couple of times when this was posted.

Last edited by krishnakumar : 19th May 2023 at 17:19.
krishnakumar is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 17:59   #38065
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: This specific accident, more so, the driver's actions that led to it, have been discussed enough. Let us move on, if there isn't any constructive discussion around it. Any further replies will be deleted. Thanks for understanding!
libranof1987 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 20:15   #38066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Sir,
I must confess I was not really aware of such an significant imperative.

And when I read it in one of your posts in this thread, it came like a revelation and I was reminded of the adage - "Common sense is not so common. "

I must thank you and the TBHP for such invaluable pieces of wisdom that could save our peace.
Thanks are entirely due to my late dad. I have had two or three excellent instructors who taught me not only the mechanics of driving, but some of the wisdom of it too. It is he, not me, that really deserves the Distinguished tag.

I probably didn't seem very appreciative at the time, but I hope that, somewhere, somehow, he might be aware that I am now, and that his words from 50-60 years ago are truly appreciated, not only by me, but by many others.

Thank you!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 20:29   #38067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
But what was the Venue driver doing?
Shocked at how easily the Venue flipped going in the same direction as the bullock cart!!
Good to know everyone was safe. People, please buckle up, even at the back.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th May 2023 at 05:37. Reason: Video deleted - posted earlier in the thread
Old 20th May 2023, 20:03   #38068
BHPian

Came across this video shared in my society. I asked them to remove it as it was not relevant and anyways description seems wrong.

The drive is at fault for hitting the auto then not even ready to say sorry (irrespective of the damage or not). Instead blames the Auto Driver's reaction. No wonder FIR was not filed.
vidyanand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 21:01   #38069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Came across this video shared in my society. I asked them to remove it as it was not relevant and anyways description seems wrong.
Going to differ with your analysis here.

The car driver might have caused the accident, but the auto driver is 100% at fault for escalating the situation. Definitely a goon, and definitely deserves to be behind the bars.

In fact, what his conduct amounts to criminal intimidation and mischief. The police cannot take any action as both of these offences are non-cognizable (i.e. you have to approach the court directly). The way the auto driver reacted, not only did he not deserve an apology, he does not deserve to roam freely in the society!

If such a maniac attacks my car while my wife/family is there over something so insignificant (or, for that matter even on something significant), even I would not open the door or windows.

The car driver's assessment is wrong that the auto merged into the lane suddenly, that he braked suddenly, etc. No doubt he caused the accident. But for everything else? The video deserves to be circulated for sure.
N.A.GTC is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 21:21   #38070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Going to differ with your analysis here.
The car driver's assessment is wrong that the auto merged into the lane suddenly, that he braked suddenly, etc. No doubt he caused the accident. But for everything else? The video deserves to be circulated for sure.
Agree with many if your points. Well explained.

Not Circulated- was for the society group nothing to do with either of the drivers .

Won't police deny filing FIR saying that we also need to file an accident case? Not sure what was the reason given to the car driver here (will need to check his comments). He might himself have backed out from FIR considering extra overhead. Then posting a video is most a common man can do when justice not served for the correct reason.

BTW, the auto did not actually merged suddenly. There was enough gap before the car hit it. Being aware of road and traffic is one thing we emphasize on this forum and not hit someone because he slowly creeped in from incorrect side.
vidyanand is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks