Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 16:12   #29731
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arungeorge View Post
Parked car crushed. Looks like Hyundai Tucson.

Attachment 1926160
That pic looks spooky. No frontal damage to the truck? Not even a windshield crack, no bent bumper, no tire marks in the ground.
Old 23rd October 2019, 16:33   #29732
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
... No frontal damage to the truck? Not even a windshield crack, no bent bumper, no tire marks in the ground.
Momentum probably made it climb over the car, crushing it top-down & front-to-back. That truck probably has plenty of damage to the front undercarriage and axle, not visible in the pic.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 20:13   #29733
BHPian

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...43866032770921

The Police tried to stop a truck by standing on the middle of the road, the truck was stopped, and the cars behind the truck collided one behind each another. Happened near Perumbavoor, Kerala on SH1
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 20:47   #29734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
The Police tried to stop a truck by standing on the middle of the road, the truck was stopped, and the cars behind the truck collided one behind each another. Happened near Perumbavoor, Kerala on SH1
This is a funny yet sad incident. Funny because of how stupid the police can be and sad because this is how the police is.

I can't even imagine the feelings of the owners of the cars

Cheers!
porsche_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 21:29   #29735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Police tried to stop a truck by standing on the middle of the road, the truck was stopped, and the cars behind the truck collided one behind each another. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I wonder if any of them included the feeling that maybe they were driving too close and not properly watching the road ahead?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 21:40   #29736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
That pic looks spooky. No frontal damage to the truck? Not even a windshield crack, no bent bumper, no tire marks in the ground.
We're talking about a 20-30 ton truck here against a car that is not even 1.5 tonnes. There's just no comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Momentum probably made it climb over the car, crushing it top-down & front-to-back. That truck probably has plenty of damage to the front undercarriage and axle, not visible in the pic.
I don't think this even reached the axle of that truck. To me, this is like a knife cutting through butter. Simply no sweat at all for the truck there. The distance of the axle of this truck from it's front bumper will be almost half the length of the car. The dimensions of that machine simply don't match that of a normal passenger car.
Old 24th October 2019, 09:48   #29737
Senior - BHPian

Just can’t imagine this happening to a Toyota fortuner which is built like a tank. Would appreciate if anybody has got more info on the accident. Looks like a classic case of high speed collision.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 24th October 2019 at 09:50.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 10:03   #29738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Just can’t imagine this happening to a Toyota fortuner which is built like a tank.
Well, none of the cars are built like a tank. Had they been, that would be a tank itself.

Coming to these type of accidents, we must have seen many cars that have met the same fate. Few pages back was a Swift in Kerala. If you search, you'll find many cases internationally too. Most of the accidents involving a car and a guard rail are almost always won by the guard rail. They're fixed pretty well. The entry point is in engine bay but due to its thinness, the rail makes way through point of least resistance and crosses into the cabin and also exiting the rear at times. It's just like a flexible knife slicing through an object of some resistance.
BoneCollector is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 10:56   #29739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Police tried to stop a truck by standing on the middle of the road, the truck was stopped, and the cars behind the truck collided one behind each another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post

Cheers!
I can really understand the stress and agony the owners would have gone through, but in all these years of driving in India, I have the following complaints:
  1. More often than not, Indian commuters are fascinated by tail gating. They are seldom looking ahead, and almost always stick to the butt of the vehicle in front.
  2. My observation from my first point was usually only in the B2B commute. However, I have noticed this dumb habit even on highways and open roads. Its almost like people can't seem to get out of the "Sticking to one another in queue" mentality, even while behind the wheels!!
  3. Many (if not most) don't know how use the "brake & release" technique to slow down the momentum during an emergency halt. People just stomp on the brake pedal, which can result in such obvious results.

P.S - My observations do not pertain to this particular accident, but could be one of the main causes here.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 24th October 2019 at 10:59.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 12:27   #29740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I wonder if any of them included the feeling that maybe they were driving too close and not properly watching the road ahead?
I don't think so, based on a Whatsapp forward I received with video from the site after the incident. Car owners were blaming and arguing with the police.
Old 24th October 2019, 12:55   #29741
BHPian

Happened somewhere in Perumbavur, KL.

Police signaled to pullover and the person braked which resulted in collision of around 5 cars

Looks like the Jeep Compass has the minimal damage.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VID-20191024-WA0014.zip (13.45 MB, 487 views)

Last edited by deemash : 24th October 2019 at 13:02.
Old 24th October 2019, 13:22   #29742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
We're talking about a 20-30 ton truck here against a car that is not even 1.5 tonnes. There's just no comparison.
From the looks of it, it's a 35 ton GVW (gross vehicle weight) trailer-lorry - Tata LPS3518c to be specific.

Quote:
I don't think this even reached the axle of that truck. To me, this is like a knife cutting through butter. Simply no sweat at all for the truck there. The distance of the axle of this truck from it's front bumper will be almost half the length of the car. The dimensions of that machine simply don't match that of a normal passenger car.
The front overhang (FOH) of such a truck is around 1000mm, and the wheel-base of a Tucson is ~2700mm IIRC. Since the front chassis member and the heavier engine on the truck would carry a lot more momentum than what the Tucson's monocoque can withstand, the latter would have got crushed on impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I don't think so, based on a Whatsapp forward I received with video from the site after the incident. Car owners were blaming and arguing with the police.
How close one tailgates the vehicle in front at cruising speeds is a measure of the expertise of the driver, do it while holding the wheel with one hand and holding the phone with the other to take it to another level. And no seat belts because the crease on the dress cannot be let go. Unless this state of awareness is changed for the better, we will keep seeing drivers blaming everything/everyone but themselves for a rear-ending that could've been prevented
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 13:32   #29743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The usual story then. Hit the guy in front? Blame him.

No, I don't feel for any of those people. Not would I feel for myself if I made the same mistake. No, wait, I would feel: stupid!

Don't waste sympathy, especially on those not prepared to learn.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 15:06   #29744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
Happened somewhere in Perumbavur, KL.

Police signaled to pullover and the person braked which resulted in collision of around 5 cars

Looks like the Jeep Compass has the minimal damage.
Saw this today morning, the accident occurred after the police signalled a car on the other side to stop. And the police are of the stance that they never signalled the vehicle to stop. But they are not the only ones to be blamed, these drivers should have kept a minimum distance from one another and its not like you will get arrested if you stop after 10m. They need not stop this abruptly.
binoyyj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 15:27   #29745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
Saw this today morning, the accident occurred after the police signalled a car on the other side to stop.
Are you sure you saw this same incident? I saw the footage in a group yesterday evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks