Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2015, 17:52   #7426
BHPian

Adding to the above 2W stopping in the middle of the road for his all important conversation well in Chennai it is very much commonplace occurence. The other day I was behind a cyclist ( you read it right) was blissfilly unaware of people around him asking honking for hom to stop his mobile talk and make way for traffic but yet no response. O gently tapped hos shoulder and he moved away with a sheepish grin.
Old 31st March 2015, 01:11   #7427
BANNED

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

One tip from my side.

I've often noticed 2 types of big trucks legally allowed on city roads - petrol tankers and trucks carrying alcohol to the depot.

I've noticed these drivers always manage to get the fastest lane forward in jammed roads. Maybe years of driving the same route gives them an edge. The alco carrier may be an ex-smuggler type.

So sometimes when I spot either of these going my way, I follow them. 99% of the time I find this working well for me.

Ex: At a signal they may stick to the left lane when the other lanes are empty.

You may wonder why because vehicles soon occupy all lanes but never mind.

What may happen is there will be a tough right turn ahead and all middle and right lane cars end up getting clogged.

This guy knows this from experience.

But by the next couple of signals this guy has left everyone behind. And I'm in his wake until I have to pull out.

Speaking of bad driving. Near my area there are these police patrol jeeps called as Hoysalas.

Very useful of course. But they tend to move real slow on almost all occasions. Vehicles get all jammed behind them especially on narrow market roads. People hesitate to honk because who knows?

It's possible they are just keeping an eye out for bad elements. But there may be a better way to do that perhaps?

Another observation - there are a couple of crowded main road junctions where I live. There are no signals. Vehicles all try to go ahead of each other. Especially mornings during the school run everyone sort of push and pull and everyone reaches their schools on time.

Every now and then a traffic cop comes along with an SI or ASI and starts regulating traffic manually. Now starts the problem. I tell you that well meaning cop causes 15 minute stalls on all the roads.

Sure things move in a disciplined fashion on one road at a time. But the other lanes are just stopped for a looooong time.

It seems to me that on some roads in India it's better to let the public figure out their own methods.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 10:02   #7428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
Speaking of bad driving. Near my area there are these police patrol jeeps called as Hoysalas.
Very useful of course. But they tend to move real slow on almost all occasions. Vehicles get all jammed behind them especially on narrow market roads. People hesitate to honk because who knows?
This is because the old system of "walking the beat" is now replaced with vehicle patrols. Hoysalas are the mobile squads of the Bangalore City's Law and Order Police. These people have to go slow, since they are also looking out for any suspicious activity out there. And it also adds to the "visible policing" aspect. A few police vehicles just going around at high speed, generally does not add to visible police presence. A slow moving patrol vehicle, with their top-lights on is supposed to be a better idea .

In Tamil Nadu, they have a practise that by 2300 hours all shops including tea shops have to be closed down. A Dy.SP it seems had clearly instructed, how the shops should be told to shut down the shops. Just before 2300 hours the local Highway Police or L&O Police patrol vehicle would go past the street with its top lights on. If there is too much activity around a shop, use the siren for a short while. The message is passed. The shop will have to close down before the patrol vehicle comes back in a couple of minutes time. No "requesting the shop keeper, by walking up to him" business.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 13:34   #7429
BHPian

Still shaking from a close shave, a new Honda City having Delhi registration plates ( DL03xxxx),red pearl colored and having the 'Live to Drive' sticker almost ran over my foot while crossing the Bannerghatta road , opposite IIM - B . I was waiting for the traffic to clear and this guy zipped inches from my foot at the edge of the kerb at a high speed. Seriously dude, show some respect for pedestrians. Unfortunately no pictures , but karma will surely catch you , if not the cops.

Last edited by mazda4life : 31st March 2015 at 13:40.
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 20:05   #7430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've often noticed 2 types of big trucks legally allowed on city roads - petrol tankers and trucks carrying alcohol to the depot.

I've noticed these drivers always manage to get the fastest lane forward in jammed roads. Maybe years of driving the same route gives them an edge.
Replace them with DTC buses here in Delhi. Outcome is similar.
These guys know the bottlenecks pretty well, and are also not afraid of banging into other vehicles, which allows them to bully virtually everyone on the road carving out a path for themselves.
Old 4th April 2015, 07:55   #7431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another observation - there are a couple of crowded main road junctions where I live. There are no signals. Vehicles all try to go ahead of each other. Especially mornings during the school run everyone sort of push and pull and everyone reaches their schools on time.

Every now and then a traffic cop comes along with an SI or ASI and starts regulating traffic manually. Now starts the problem. I tell you that well meaning cop causes 15 minute stalls on all the roads.

Sure things move in a disciplined fashion on one road at a time. But the other lanes are just stopped for a looooong time.

It seems to me that on some roads in India it's better to let the public figure out their own methods.
I disagree to the above sentiment. If you are finding that you are losing time when an SI comes and regulates the traffic, it just means that you were making someone else wait much more longer than they were supposed to. Also, in case of regulated traffic, pedestrians are also given consideration. However, when traffic is moving like a pack swarming of bees, pedestrians and less experienced or more disciplined drivers are always stranded since they are not used to the bullying concept we do on the Indian roads.

My brother used to really struggle to get through such junctions after returning from US. He would have to wait for over 10-15 minutes before there is a reasonable chance to merge into the road. These situations literally kill the discipline in the drivers. After a couple of years driving on Indian roads, he is now accustomed to this style of driving but I no longer see the disciplined driving he used to have earlier when he came back from US. He has become one of us over time thanks to the fellow motorists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Still shaking from a close shave, a new Honda City having Delhi registration plates ( DL03xxxx),red pearl colored and having the 'Live to Drive' sticker almost ran over my foot while crossing the Bannerghatta road , opposite IIM - B . I was waiting for the traffic to clear and this guy zipped inches from my foot at the edge of the kerb at a high speed. Seriously dude, show some respect for pedestrians. Unfortunately no pictures , but karma will surely catch you , if not the cops.
Just curious what you were doing on the road instead of on the kerb? The Honda City might be at fault here but this reminds me of another aspect worthy of this thread. I don't know the place and hence a few questions to understand better. Were you crossing at a traffic signal or pedestrian crossing? If so, was the signal red for the vehicles and green for pedestrian crossing? If it was not near a signal, how far was the nearest signal or pedestrian crossing spot?

It is a common misconception that the pedestrians have the right of way to cross anywhere like an emergency vehicle does. The right of way for pedestrians is only at the designated pedestrian crossing spots, not anywhere anytime. Motorists can be accommodative but it is not right for pedestrians to demand this. Fine for jaywalking should also be implemented in India to ensure the pedestrians are also behaving in a sensible way.
Old 4th April 2015, 09:20   #7432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
It is a common misconception that the pedestrians have the right of way to cross anywhere like an emergency vehicle does.
This is true if the infrastructure is well designed for both pedestrians and vehicles. May it doesn't work in our country where most of the infrastructure is half-baked and there is no emphasis on the correct usage of whatever infrastructure that exists.
Old 4th April 2015, 09:27   #7433
BANNED

Quote:
I disagree to the above sentiment. If you are finding that you are losing time when an SI comes and regulates the traffic....After a couple of years driving on Indian roads, he is now accustomed to this style of driving but I no longer see the disciplined driving he used to have earlier when he came back from US.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

We are a long way from enjoying a US style driving experience. I would say 90% drivers do slow down or stop to allow pedestrians to cross the road.

This is irrespective of whether it's a zebra crossing or a crowded main street or a national highway.

That 90% mentioned above is a random number.

I certainly do it. Of course that's based on what and how far a vehicle behind me is.

I do not expect a crowded country like ours to go searching for an official designated crossing.

A solution would be for a new political party called Team-BHP party to come to power. I will be Prime Minister. GTO could be the transport minister. OHC owners get the first choice of refusal on all other positions.

We have some 40,000 party members already on this site.

What an utopia that would be!!
Old 4th April 2015, 09:31   #7434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
...a new Honda City... almost ran over my foot while crossing...
...show some respect for pedestrians.
Quote:
...what you were doing on the road instead of on the kerb?
Were you crossing at a traffic signal or pedestrian crossing?
It is a common misconception that the pedestrians have the right of way to cross anywhere...Fine for jaywalking should also be implemented in India to ensure the pedestrians are also behaving in a sensible way.
Jaywalking fines do exist, at least in Delhi.

Yet, as a motorist, one does not have the option of running over pedestrians just because they are jaywalking. Hence they will ALWAYS have right of way, whether they are jaywalking or not.
Old 5th April 2015, 13:46   #7435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quoted from the accidents thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
My personal observation is that pedestrians and bikers have gradually, through recent years become very unruly and irresponsible especially in bigger cities. One disturbing trend seen in mostly metros is people deliberately look the other way after seeing a speeding vehicle and continue to cross the road! Blame it on overcrowdedness or whatever, but hey, I mean, it's your life you have to care about while crossing. Why should the motorist look out for your life? Who is more responsible for your life? The motorist or you yourself? Of course the motorist will do his/her bit but suppose he missed out then who's bones are getting broken? Or worse, who's life is more at stake? Even others are at risk of getting hurt due to some stupid pedestrian happily jaywalking around. No offence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
That's because pedestrians aren't provided with the necessary infrastructure.
That is quite often the case, but one can still find pedestrians walking on the road, sometimes several abreast, by the side of a good, clean pavement.

Quote:
I drive and walk on the same street. Given that I have to share the same infrastructure with cars, I think it makes sense for cars to maintain lower speeds and extra caution. I've come so very close to running over a kid who just decided to run across the street. Couldn't touch the car for a few days. I want to speak rules, but instead I just drive slower.
Nightmare scenario. We should use all the observation skills and concentration that we have, and sometimes even that is not enough. Totally drive slow!

We are all, at times, pedestrians as well as drivers. Behind the wheel or on foot, thinking of others is the key.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 01:25   #7436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quoted from the accidents thread...

one can still find pedestrians walking on the road, sometimes several abreast, by the side of a good, clean pavement.
The way you put it really had me in splits. But completely true. I think we Indians have a general attitude that "Life is a beach" and to hell with the Tsunami!
Old 6th April 2015, 11:50   #7437
BHPian

Quote:
Just curious what you were doing on the road instead of on the kerb?.
I was trying to cross the road on a zebra crossing strip. The issue was the speed with which the car zoomed and the scant disregard for pedestrians , it was totally unsafe even if I were crossing a road without the zebra crossing.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 12:01   #7438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Jaywalking fines do exist, at least in Delhi.

Yet, as a motorist, one does not have the option of running over pedestrians just because they are jaywalking. Hence they will ALWAYS have right of way, whether they are jaywalking or not.
And they have a tough officer to enforce them in Delhi (I have heard of this man by reputation - he is very good, and honest)

https://www.facebook.com/mukteshchan...67?pnref=story

Quote:
In the drive to enforce lane discipline in Delhi today Delhi Traffic police has prosecuted 2189 drivers. So far 32272 drivers have been prosecuted since 23 February 2015 when we started this drive. We will continue to enforce lane discipline in Delhi in the interest of road safety and mobility in times to come.
There's this stunned silence in "jaanta hai mera baap kaun hai" territory, I can tell you
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2015, 12:42   #7439
BHPian

Anyone with an actual info on what the rules for pedestrians, if there are any in India, actually state? It's kind of confusing. Just to be in the know, if pedestrians have the right of way at all times and if they go ahead and treat roads like beaches or gardens, fail to acknowledge the concept of walking on a foothpath(if they recognise one) and get bashed up by a motorist, with no fault of the motorist, then will the motorist be prosecuted? Is the pedestrian liable to pay up for any damage he/she might have logically caused to the vehicle? If the road is shared by both the pedestrian and the vehicle then should the same rules apply to both? Because ideally the roads(except for zebra crossings) are for vehicles and foothpaths, skywalks, etc are made for humans to rove about.

On second thoughts, I'm wondering if any of this makes any sense in our beloved country given the current scenario and the way things are....
Old 6th April 2015, 14:15   #7440
BHPian

A lot of people here has the habit of turning back and driving in the wrong direction as soon as they see a traffic jam ahead. This morning I was driving on the first lane and this guy came driving towards me with headlight flashing. This is a very wide road with 3' high median. So I slowed down and blocked him. He gesticulated from his car. I eased off and as we passed slowly he rolled down his window, I did too. he told me nicely, "the road is blocked, you will have to turn back too." He sounded very logical, as logical as the statement: if x loves y and y loves z, then x loves z.

Traffic gridlock happens regularly at this crossing because everyone wants to be first to cross. Nobody gives way. Two big roads cross here and traffic signal has not been installed yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks