Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 19:51   #5401
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
driving on the wrong side is really getting out of hand in Bangalore. it's just a matter of time before their shortcut shortens someone else's life!

Attachment 1095143

Attachment 1095144
I am horrified to see the one in the first image is schoolbus transporting kids
Old 11th June 2013, 20:01   #5402
Senior - BHPian

This Qualis cut across from the left and stopped right on the zebra lines. Real baddie indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-qualis.jpg  

Old 11th June 2013, 20:34   #5403
Senior - BHPian

^^^That is standard driving system in Chennai for buses/cabbies and some private cars/bikes. To take a right turn at an upcoming junction, drive on the left-most lane making people think that you are either turning left (or going straight at best), reach the front of the traffic waiting to go straight and then go around them to the rightmost lane.
Old 11th June 2013, 20:51   #5404
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this couple of weeks back, this polo guy was not only coming on the wrong side, he was also speeding. I think this was on the Dindugal bypass.
(Salem-Madurai stretch)
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0027.jpg
Old 11th June 2013, 20:53   #5405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
driving on the wrong side is really getting out of hand in Bangalore. it's just a matter of time before their shortcut shortens someone else's life!

Attachment 1095143
If you know which school this bus belongs to, can you just drop a mail to the school with this pic in it?
Many banglore BHPians out here, and if any of them has kiddo studying there and might want to take it up with the authorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Spotted this couple of weeks back, this polo guy was not only coming on the wrong side, he was also speeding. I think this was on the Dindugal bypass.
(Salem-Madurai stretch)
Attachment 1095238
I have seen many times the trucks coming on the wrong side from the left-most lane. This posses utmost danger those good breed of bikers who prefer keeping themselves in the left lane.

Last edited by carzone : 11th June 2013 at 20:55.
Old 11th June 2013, 21:47   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
If you know which school this bus belongs to, can you just drop a mail to the school with this pic in it?

I have seen many times the trucks coming on the wrong side from the left-most lane. This posses utmost danger those good breed of bikers who prefer keeping themselves in the left lane.
I think the a photo and an email copying requisite authorities should do a good job. I have seen cabs being driven on one way flyovers in Bangalore and I never thought I could see that.

I still remember that a biker crashed into me in Ranchi when he had no business to be on that one way. At that time I never thought it could be possible in 'developed' cities.

We need the highest degree of punishments for these fellows - by highest I mean their license goes (atleast for a considerable time say 2 years) without even questioning and fines plus imprisonment (or a long time at community service). I am at a total loss in figuring out why learned people dont get it - Driving in one ways could be fatal - for you, for others. I am sure those cabs often have the 'IT guys' as passengers; why don't they raise objections?

Saving those 15 minutes by driving in one ways is simply not worth the risk.
Old 12th June 2013, 16:14   #5407
Senior - BHPian

Old 12th June 2013, 16:26   #5408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^That is standard driving system in Chennai for buses/cabbies and some private cars/bikes. To take a right turn at an upcoming junction, drive on the left-most lane making people think that you are either turning left (or going straight at best), reach the front of the traffic waiting to go straight and then go around them to the rightmost lane.
SupremeBaleno sir. This happens at MEPZ junction everyday. I can understand if uneducated cabbies/share auto wallahs do that, but gets really irritating when IT folks entering MEPZ campus do the same.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 11:37   #5409
Senior - BHPian

So everyone with firing me (in the Accidents in India thread) for blocking 2&3 wheelers to avoid them squeezing into impossible gaps between 2 cars.
The below incident happened right yesterday evening. I was waiting at a signal on the way from work. This guy crawled his way into the gap between my car and another. He had to twist his mirrors, swing his handle bar left and right, and finally he managed to fit in between both the cars.

What he didn't understand was that, when the vehicle starts moving, he could possibly lose his balance and scrape against my car, or worse fall down. Nevertheless we both were making eye contacts while waiting for the signal, me with a more disgusting look. For a second, I thought of asking him whether he would like to come and seat inside my car ? Just look at the scene, his mirrors were almost touching my ORVMs'.

The white car besides him is not the car he was squeezing in between. There was another one next to my rear left door and this fellow made that car stop and squeezed in between us.

So the signal turns green, and I wait for him to go and then I would start moving. But alas, my fear turned into reality. He tried to move and lost his balance and inclined onto my car balancing himself. My car's ORVM swung to the other side (thankfully, the new ORVMs' swings both ways) and he struggles to regain his balance and disappeared into the jantar mantar traffic. I wish the next time he tries this, it better be a truck and he falls right under the wheels.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130612_173837.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130612_173850.jpg

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 13th June 2013 at 11:38.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:55   #5410
Senior - BHPian

^^^Guess you misunderstood. I perfectly understand your position and see it in Chennai too. So I was not blaming you. Just saying that while these guys are indeed a menace, if we try to keep close to the car in front to avoid them getting in between, we run the risk of kissing the rear of the car in front due to limited reaction-time in stop-go traffic.
Old 13th June 2013, 13:19   #5411
Senior - BHPian

No probs supremebaleno, I was just saying.. I understand its all the same across India. Your point is right too. But then, at times, after a hard day at work, I get agitated a little too quick and I react harshly with these bikers.

I guess I need to take some anger management lessons.
Even my wife, mom n dad say so.
Old 13th June 2013, 23:50   #5412
Distinguished - BHPian

Another answer is to leave plenty of space for the bikers. But, this doesn't work, because then an auto will fill it up!
Old 14th June 2013, 00:08   #5413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Another answer is to leave plenty of space for the bikers. But, this doesn't work, because then an auto will fill it up!
Just exchanging words:
"Autofill will" activate, if you leave space! I'm stupid.
Somehow never works in our country, they'll fill up even if you don't leave space, nobody stops before pedestrian crossings or for red lights!
Old 14th June 2013, 00:22   #5414
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the story.

I stop in what I consider to be the left-most lane. I'm not too surprised that a bike squeezes by, and then an auto, ok, but a bus?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 14:57   #5415
BHPian

Yesterday came across a bunch of bad drivers. I was climbing a steep uphill via a very narrow road (with barricades). Before I could cross the barricade an idiot came down without even noticing that I am already in the middle. The only option left to me is to stop on the uphil by balancing the clutch. The stream of oncoming traffic continued for some time.

I think there is a basic road rule (sense) we are supposed to follow "in uphills one should give preference to the vehicle which is climbing the slope".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks