Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2021, 09:47   #1081
BHPian

Re: Interstate travel with the Covid-19 restrictions

Allow those fully vaccinated sans RT-PCR report, Centre urges states
Quote:
PUNE: The Union tourism ministry is now pushing states and Union Territories (UTs) to do away with the mandatory RT-PCR tests for fully vaccinated people who opt for inter-state travel and show their final vaccination certificates upon arrival.

“The ministry on Wednesday sent a written communication to state secretaries, urging the states and UTs to adopt a uniform travel protocol during the Covid-19 pandemic,” Rupinder Brar, additional director general, ministry of tourism, told TOI.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/85259867.cms
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 10:05   #1082
BHPian

Following news says that people entering Karnataka from Tamil Nadu need to produce a negative Covid-19 certificate.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other...d=winp1taskbar

Is this true? Did anyone enter KA from TN recently? Did they ask for Covid-19 test report?

If we start from Puducherry and enter KA via TN, will they still ask for test report?
Old 12th August 2021, 11:02   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin@y View Post
Following news says that people entering Karnataka from Tamil Nadu need to produce a negative Covid-19 certificate.

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/other...d=winp1taskbar

Is this true? Did anyone enter KA from TN recently? Did they ask for Covid-19 test report?

If we start from Puducherry and enter KA via TN, will they still ask for test report?
You can refer to post #1077 below which has answers to your questions.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:15   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
You can refer to post #1077 below which has answers to your questions.
I am following this thread closely and had read that post already. The news link I shared is a recent one and I thought new restriction has been introduced for people traveling from TN to KA. Hence, my question.
Vin@y is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 20:36   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am following this thread closely and had read that post already. The news link I shared is a recent one and I thought new restriction has been introduced for people traveling from TN to KA. Hence, my question.
That rule is not yet applicable at Attibele or Kolar road borders. Heard it is enforced only at borders around Chamarajanagar.

If anyone has any update, kindly share.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 08:59   #1086
BHPian

Traveled from Bangalore to Puducherry yesterday (14-Aug).

Crossed Attibele border at around 6:30 AM. I had taken TN ePass, but nobody stopped us for checking anywhere. We could see Police teams in most of the district border checkposts. Not sure whether they were meant for Independence Day security or Covid checking.

Crossed TN-Puducherry border (at Madagadipet) at around 12:30 PM. Again no stopping though the checkpost was manned by Police.

Prominent restaurants were open and they allowed dine-in too. We had breakfast at Sai Sangeet near Vaniyambadi. It was fully occupied at 8-8:30 AM.

Weekend traffic was sparse on NH compared to pre-covid times. Mostly cars and two wheelers and buses were rare. Local traffic was high on SH and village roads. It was business as usual for them.
Vin@y is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 09:11   #1087

I m 69, with a partial implant on the thigh to correct a broken femur. My car is a 2004 Scorpio. To commemorate 50 years of my driving, I am on a mission to drive my car only with my wife from Chennai to Kanyakumari. Suggestions are welcome from all driving enthusiasts with regard to stopovers, halts, possible engine snags, good places to eat, repair kits, safety instructions, DIY, and anything you consider relevant.
padmalayam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 11:04   #1088
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmalayam View Post
I m 69, with a partial implant on the thigh to correct a broken femur. My car is a 2004 Scorpio. To commemorate 50 years of my driving, I am on a mission to drive my car only with my wife from Chennai to Kanyakumari. Suggestions are welcome from all driving enthusiasts with regard to stopovers, halts, possible engine snags, good places to eat, repair kits, safety instructions, DIY, and anything you consider relevant.
Awesome
Nothing to worry about the route and facilities.
You need to get to Salem from Chennai and then it's NH 544 all the way.
Since this would be a relaxed, memorable drive to commemorate your driving milestone, I would suggest you go inside some of the towns en route to try local eateries, instead of the usual stopovers along the highway.

Maybe you can add Kolli Hills (detour from Namakkal), spend a night there at one of the hotels/resorts there.

You can also visit Trichy, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Karaikudi for some history/architecture, food and temples (not sure if these are open now due to Covid restrictions, but nevertheless worth a visit just to see them).

From Kanyakumari, you can also visit the Padmanabhapuram palace at Thuckalay.

So lots of options, you can do so some reading and research right here on team BHP and see what is of interest and decide based on your schedule.

Last edited by NPV : 15th August 2021 at 11:06.
Old 15th August 2021, 12:19   #1089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You need to get to Salem from Chennai and then it's NH 544 all the way.
Why a detour via Salem when the query is for Chennai - Kanyakumari? Wouldn't it be easier for him to take the highway via Ulundurpet, Trichy, Madurai, Tirunelveli?
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 13:15   #1090
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Why a detour via Salem when the query is for Chennai - Kanyakumari? Wouldn't it be easier for him to take the highway via Ulundurpet, Trichy, Madurai, Tirunelveli?
I should have been clearer

Yes, I should have mentioned that route if OP wants to visit the places I mentioned en route (same as those you mentioned Madurai, Trichy, Tirunelveli).
If OP decides to avoid other visits en route, then he can take the faster route via the NH544 (Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Namakkal and onwards). That's what I meant.

Last edited by NPV : 15th August 2021 at 13:17.
Old 15th August 2021, 14:39   #1091
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
I should have been clearer

Yes, I should have mentioned that route if OP wants to visit the places I mentioned en route (same as those you mentioned Madurai, Trichy, Tirunelveli).
If OP decides to avoid other visits en route, then he can take the faster route via the NH544 (Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Namakkal and onwards). That's what I meant.
Even more confusing. Including Salem is the longer route. Between ulundurpet and Madurai, including Salem and then going via nammakal - dindigul , is literally traversing the two 90 degree arms of a right triangle, instead of the hypotenuse (ulundurpet-trichy-madurai). The hypotenuse is ~270km , the sum of the sides (via salem) is ~370km.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 14:48   #1092
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Even more confusing. Including Salem is the longer route. Between ulundurpet and Madurai, including Salem and then going via nammakal - dindigul , is literally traversing the two 90 degree arms of a right triangle, instead of the hypotenuse (ulundurpet-trichy-madurai). The hypotenuse is ~270km , the sum of the sides (via salem) is ~370km.
Driving on the NH544 all the way in an experience in itself and I for one wouldn't mind the extra 100Km
After all OP is planning for a memorable drive, so I think this still an option to be considered.
One of my best drives till date has been on that very route but from Bangalore.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 17:04   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Driving on the NH544 all the way in an experience in itself and I for one wouldn't mind the extra 100Km
After all OP is planning for a memorable drive, so I think this still an option to be considered.
One of my best drives till date has been on that very route but from Bangalore.
Ulundurpet - Trichy - Madurai is equally good too. If you have not done this stretch, then you should try it. For Chennai - Kanyakumari, another good option is the coastal route. But considering the age of the OP, my suggestion would be to take the direct route. Maybe with a stay @ Trichy or Madurai.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 18:56   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
That rule is not yet applicable at Attibele or Kolar road borders. Heard it is enforced only at borders around Chamarajanagar.

If anyone has any update, kindly share.
Today I travelled from Chennai to Bangalore crossing Attibele around 7AM. Absolutely no checking whatsoever. Check post just before the toll booth was unmanned.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 21:49   #1095

Did anybody travel from Bhopal to Nagpur recently? I am about to travel to hyderabad in the coming weekend and wanted to know how good are the roads from Bhopal to Nagpur. Particularly the stretch from Bhopal to Betul.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks