Re: Coorg recommendations

Try this place in Madikere, Coorg

http://www.serenewoods.co.in/serenewoods/index.php

Rs.2500/- Per head
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 10:54   #242
BHPian

Please suggest a good homestay in Coorg for Aug 9th, 10th and 11th, preferably close to Abbey Falls. We are 3 people (Kid, myself and wife). Coffee Trails and Porcupine castle are sold out for that weekend.

Thanks in Advance,
Rajesh
Old 23rd August 2013, 16:34   #243
BHPian

Good Evening fellow members -

I am planning a trip to Coorg (read, Madikeri) on the weekend of August 31 (2 Nights / 3 Days stay). 5 of us would be traveling in a Sunny.

1) What is the best route at the moment? Right-Turn after Srirangapatna OR Right-Turn after Columbia Asia Hospital, Mysore.

2) With 5 people on board, with corresponding luggage, will there be any issues with Sunny's ground clearance? I have never driven with 5 people + luggage, hence asking.

3) What should be the ideal tyre pressure with 5 occupants and luggage?

4) Total weight of 5 occupants + luggage is expected to be around 450 kgs, if that helps.

5) I have seen various threads, recommending various options, right from 2009, however, after having breakfast at Kamat on Bangalore Mysore highway, what are the options for lunch (mainly after leaving the Bangalore - Mysore road)?

6) For a family that constitutes 2 Male and 3 Female members, what would be a good place to stay near Madekeri, with all meals included? I would like to stay close to Madikeri as this is my first time to Coorg. Will explore other options in future when only me and wife are traveling.

7) Are there any recommended Fuel Stations where I can tank up Diesel while on my way back to Bangalore?

8) If I start at 6:30 am, can I reach Madikeri by 13:00 hrs, under ideal conditions, with 90 mins of break time? (breakfast and lunch)

Your inputs on my queries are highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 23rd August 2013, 22:20   #244
BHPian

Hope this helps -

Info inline below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Good Evening fellow members -

I am planning a trip to Coorg (read, Madikeri) on the weekend of August 31 (2 Nights / 3 Days stay). 5 of us would be traveling in a Sunny.

1) What is the best route at the moment? Right-Turn after Srirangapatna OR Right-Turn after Columbia Asia Hospital, Mysore.
- Right turn after Srirangapatna had bad roads till it rejoins the Madikeri highway. If you choose the ORR, then you might encounter one hell of hump, trust me it was HUGE !. I hope it has been removed.
Its not that difficult to rejoin Hunsur Road by going through Mysore town.

Quote:
2) With 5 people on board, with corresponding luggage, will there be any issues with Sunny's ground clearance? I have never driven with 5 people + luggage, hence asking.
- i have not travelled Blr - Mysore recently, but its a painful drive if you start after 7AM on a weekend. So , start early may be 5AM or by latest 6AM

Quote:
3) What should be the ideal tyre pressure with 5 occupants and luggage?
33PSI i reckon should be OK

4) Total weight of 5 occupants + luggage is expected to be around 450 kgs, if that helps.

Quote:
5) I have seen various threads, recommending various options, right from 2009, however, after having breakfast at Kamat on Bangalore Mysore highway, what are the options for lunch (mainly after leaving the Bangalore - Mysore road)?
- Not sure why would a lunch break be required for Blr - Madikeri journey, its not that long a journey.

Quote:
6) For a family that constitutes 2 Male and 3 Female members, what would be a good place to stay near Madekeri, with all meals included? I would like to stay close to Madikeri as this is my first time to Coorg. Will explore other options in future when only me and wife are traveling.
- try Venkateshwara Residency, its on the way to Virajpet from Madikeri. If you prefer homestays, there are plenty of them.

Quote:
7) Are there any recommended Fuel Stations where I can tank up Diesel while on my way back to Bangalore?
- pick and choose, no shortage all along the way.

Quote:
8) If I start at 6:30 am, can I reach Madikeri by 13:00 hrs, under ideal conditions, with 90 mins of break time? (breakfast and lunch)
- sure, it can be done even with sedate driving.
redballons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 14:40   #245
BHPian

Quote:
6) For a family that constitutes 2 Male and 3 Female members, what would be a good place to stay near Madekeri, with all meals included?
Was in talks with Porcupine Castle; they are quoting INR 6000, per couple, per night, inclusive of Breakfast, Dinner and Taxes. This comes to INR 26000 for 5 of us for a 2N/3D stay.
I would ideally like to round this off to INR 20000, with everything else constant. Are there other recommended options where our members visited recently; say, max 1 month ago?
Appreciate your inputs on this.
Old 27th August 2013, 16:09   #246

Hi,

You could try Palace Estate (home stay), little away from Madikeri, but worth it. It is on the highest peak and has a private water falls too. Talk to those guys for reservation.

http://palaceestate.co.in/

Have fun.
umashankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 10:50   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umashankar View Post
Thanks umashankar for your inputs.

After going through the websites of SereneWoods and Porcupine Castle, my family is wanting me to negotiate only with these 2

I will wait till tomorrow EOD, and if I don't get a sweeter deal, I will try and convince them for a 3rd option.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:44   #248
BHPian

Finally it was Serene Woods for the extended weekend of Aug 31 - September 2, and it will be Serene Woods for all my future trips to Coorg.

This place definitely deserves a for all it has to offer.

Filled Diesel worth INR 2000 on Friday night, and was enough for our entire trip spanning Bangalore -> Madikeri -> Talacauvery -> Madikeri -> Mysore -> Bangalore

Fuel Efficiency using T to T method was 18 kmpl, which I think is decent considering the Ghat Sections enroute.

For 5 of us, the net cost of travel, per head, came to INR 400, for a round trip

Last year, if I recall correctly, we had booked a KSRTC Volvo, and the cost was INR 1400, per head, for a round trip.

Pics to follow soon.
Old 12th September 2013, 02:18   #249
BHPian

Just back from a trip to Coorg/ Madikeri. Went to South Coorg to a place called Chelavara (There is a waterfalls by name Chelavara here). It was a very short trip of two days. Started on Tuesday and came back on Wednesday.

Took Bangalore-Chanapatna-Mandya-Srirangapatna-Hunsur-Madikeri-Chelavara and exactly the same while returning as well. Roads are good all the way except for a small bad stretch on KRS road connecting Hunsur and Srirangapatna. The first 150 km while 4 lane has numerious speed breakers (which everybody is already aware of). The last 150 km is two lane but excellent roads. The last 60 km has curvy roads with a small ghat section between Madikeri and Chalavara.

The scenery is excellent in the last 50 km of journey.

We stayed at a place called Kabbe Holidays (Homestay) which is on the foothills of Kabbe Hills. Very good place right in the middle of hills and coffee estates. Has an awesome view of mountains. One can trek to Kabbe Hills (highest in Coorg), Tadiandamol Hills (2nd highest peak in Karnataka) and another smaller hill whick overlooks into Kerala. We chose to treak up the smaller hill. The view is awesome ; just cannot be described in words. And to add to this, we were fortunate to even spot some wild elephants as we were trekking. Unbelievable sight!
figo_gpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 10:56   #250
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you share a few more details of the homestay alongwith a few pics of both - the hoestay as well as the scenic surroundings ?
Old 10th October 2013, 11:34   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Filled Diesel worth INR 2000 on Friday night, and was enough for our entire trip spanning Bangalore -> Madikeri -> Talacauvery -> Madikeri -> Mysore -> Bangalore

Pics to follow soon.
Hi Param,

I was really hoping you have started your own travelogue for the Coorg trip so I could take a look at the pictures. But I believe you are still working on it. Can you pls let me know if you have uploaded the pics in any other thread?

The reason I ask is because I am going to Coorg this weekend and was really hoping for an idea of what to expect in terms of the roads and the drive overall.

Dear All,

As mentioned, I will be visiting Coorg this weekend and will be staying at Windflower. If Google Maps is not wrong, this is very close to Suntikoppa. I will be depending on Google Maps for the route which is suggesting the below two routes.

1) Bangalore (HSR Layout) - NICE Road - Kengeri - Bagalkunte - Nelamangala - Herur - Siddapura - Channarayapattana - Kushal Nagar - Suntikoppa - Windflower

2) Bangalore (HSR Layout) - NICE Road - Kengeri - Bidadi - Ramanagara - Channapatna - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Belagula (Bypassing Mysore) - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Kushal Nagar - Suntikoppa - Windflower

Can you pls suggest the better route among these two in terms of overall condition and drivability as per most updated situation. I will be driving my Chevy Cruze and really hope to take advantage of it's highway manners. Most people I checked with, suggested Route 2. Even the route map that I got from the resort mentions only Route 2. Pls help me in deciding the route. Pls also do let me know regarding any latest developments in terms of diversions / blockades. As per some of the previous replies here, there was a blockage near Suntikoppa some time ago. Any idea what the situation now is? I am planning to leave at 7 A.M. on 12-Oct (Saturday) from HSR Layout.

Also, pls give suggestions regarding good breakfast places on the way, any special precautions, any interesting tips and trivia. I have been to Coorg before but both times in a huge group but this time it is going to be only two of us.

Last edited by evoque : 10th October 2013 at 11:37.
Old 10th October 2013, 12:06   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
Hi Param,

I was really hoping you have started your own travelogue for the Coorg trip so I could take a look at the pictures. But I believe you are still working on it. Can you pls let me know if you have uploaded the pics in any other thread?

The reason I ask is because I am going to Coorg this weekend and was really hoping for an idea of what to expect in terms of the roads and the drive overall.

2) Bangalore (HSR Layout) - NICE Road - Kengeri - Bidadi - Ramanagara - Channapatna - Mandya - Srirangapatna - Belagula (Bypassing Mysore) - Hunsur - Periyapatna - Kushal Nagar - Suntikoppa - Windflower
Hi evoque,

Sorry, but the pics I have are for the resort only where I had put up, i.e. Serene Woods.

Regarding the route, the diversion from Srirangapatna is okay, but there is a half km or more stretch on this route in particular which was in horrible state as of Aug 31. More rains would have only made it worse, I believe.There was no tarmac, just a pure Kachha road. This road joins Hunsur Road. Just because of this stretch, we didn't take this route while returning, and instead, returned via Mysore.

The only headache on the entire stretch you will encounter is speed breakers. They are every where, some are marked, some aren't. Once you join Hunsur Road, the road condition is excellent. I didn't have any issues with the road apart from the frequent speed breakers. Sudden braking was inducing nausea in couple of my family members, but there was little I could do.

Also, these speed breakers are not scientifically designed (when the ones in Bangalore aren't, there is no point in expecting the ones on Highways to be designed that way), so make sure you are dead slow when approaching one.

For Breakfast, we stopped at Kamat after Maddur. If you have breakfast there at around 8 am, I think you can drive all the way to the resort before tanking up further. Since its a long weekend, Kamat will be fully occupied and you will need to patiently wait for your turn at the table. We were 5, so it took about 25 mins before we got a table.

If I could be of your help in any other way, please let me know

Last edited by Safety is Param : 10th October 2013 at 12:08. Reason: More Info
Old 10th October 2013, 13:40   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Param,

If Google Maps is not wrong, this is very close to Suntikoppa. I will be depending on Google Maps for the route which is suggesting the below two routes.

Can you pls suggest the better route among these two in terms of overall condition and drivability as per most updated situation.
On the navigation part, I prefer Sygic over Google Maps because the latter needs an active data connection, which may not be pocket friendly for everyone. And to add more, Sygic is absolutely free now, pan India.

Just feed the following coordinates into Sygic and follow the instructions. You should end up at Wind Flower.

Old 10th October 2013, 15:52   #254
BHPian

Hi Param,

Thank you for the super quick response.

Quote:
Regarding the route, the diversion from Srirangapatna is okay, but there is a half km or more stretch on this route in particular which was in horrible state as of Aug 31. More rains would have only made it worse, I believe.There was no tarmac, just a pure Kachha road. This road joins Hunsur Road. Just because of this stretch, we didn't take this route while returning, and instead, returned via Mysore.

The only headache on the entire stretch you will encounter is speed breakers. They are every where, some are marked, some aren't. Once you join Hunsur Road, the road condition is excellent. I didn't have any issues with the road apart from the frequent speed breakers. Sudden braking was inducing nausea in couple of my family members, but there was little I could do.

Also, these speed breakers are not scientifically designed (when the ones in Bangalore aren't, there is no point in expecting the ones on Highways to be designed that way), so make sure you are dead slow when approaching one.
Oh oh Speed Breakers were one of the things I was worried about. As you must be aware already, the GC of Cruze is not something you have to be a 'little' conscious about while handling speed breakers. Nevertheless, thank you for the information as I will be prepared for this and will not be disappointed when I encounter them.

Quote:
For Breakfast, we stopped at Kamat after Maddur. If you have breakfast there at around 8 am, I think you can drive all the way to the resort before tanking up further. Since its a long weekend, Kamat will be fully occupied and you will need to patiently wait for your turn at the table. We were 5, so it took about 25 mins before we got a table.

If I could be of your help in any other way, please let me know
Thank you once again. What about the famous Thatte Idli which is supposed to be available on this route. I would really love to try that out. Do you have any suggestion for a good place for this? I don't mind trying even if it's not the regular well maintained restaurants. And going by what you say, it might also help me save some time instead of waiting at Kamat. Is the food at Kamat so good that it's crowded or is it because it's the only decent place on this route?

Quote:
On the navigation part, I prefer Sygic over Google Maps because the latter needs an active data connection, which may not be pocket friendly for everyone. And to add more, Sygic is absolutely free now, pan India.

Just feed the following coordinates into Sygic and follow the instructions. You should end up at Wind Flower.

I thought Sygic is free only in Android? Is it free for iPhone as well now? Also, how reliable / updated is it compared to Google Maps? Google Maps still works for me as I have a 2GB plan for 3G and I will have the iPhone charger in the car.

Last edited by evoque : 10th October 2013 at 15:54.
Old 10th October 2013, 16:08   #255
BHPian

Quote:

Oh oh Speed Breakers were one of the things I was worried about.

What about the famous Thatte Idli which is supposed to be available on this route.

I thought Sygic is free only in Android?
Speed Breakers will be an issue only if the car is loaded to its capacity; passengers as well as luggage. I had 5 people in the car plus corresponding luggage, so my Sunny did scrape a couple of speed breakers. Nothing to worry if you are dead slow and if you have 3M under body coating done. Below is the link where you can see the actual impact to the under body coating. Last Saturday 3M did the touch up free of cost as its covered under a 5 year warranty (one inspection and touch up free every 6 months for 5 years)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ce-them-3.html

Are thatte idlis the one that come wrapped in jack fruit leaves? If yes, then they are available at Kamat too. Kamat is crowded because KSRTC Volvos take a halt there. So when a bus arrives, it would be buzzing with people, and once it leaves you only have families travelling in cars left with.

Yes, Sygic is free only for Android. Since I do not have an Apple device I am unaware of the current status, but most probably its not free on iOS.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 10th October 2013 at 16:10. Reason: Added link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks