Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2022, 18:36   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Was 7 hours including the time spent at either place?
Yes that's what I said above. It was time spent for the Tanot-Longewala trip including time spent at the sites.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 10:11   #677

Hi FamilyTraveller,
Exactly the same circuit that i have been planning for Feb 2003.Please let me know once you complete the trip.Will be of great help to me.
Old 3rd November 2022, 13:20   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
BP609 needs permission from BSF office in Jaisalmer. It will take a day to get it. At the time we went (March 2013), they were not giving permissions to visit BP609.
Where is this BSF Office in Jaisalmer situated? Can you please share Gmaps location?

Thanks.

Last edited by JohnnyBoss : 3rd November 2022 at 13:22.
Old 4th November 2022, 11:23   #679

Planning to take this highlighted NH52 route from Bangalore to Jaipur this year. I have driven NH44 back in 2020 during my Rajasthan trip. This year's trip to Jaipur is more for visiting in laws for few days and then pushing off towards Himachal for a snow drive.

Thinking of exploring this. Anyone taken NH52 in recent past?

BTW, starting on 16th Dec. Just in case anyone traveling this route on similar timeline, would be glad to connect
Attached Thumbnails
Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-screenshot_20221104111108_maps.jpg  

Old 6th November 2022, 08:35   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
BP609 needs permission from BSF office in Jaisalmer. It will take a day to get it. At the time we went (March 2013), they were not giving permissions to visit BP609.

Be wary that you won't get proper food and there was exactly one IOCL at Ramgarh. You probably will get snacks at Tanot, but that's it.
Did this circuit last year with a visit to BP609.
Now, you do not need permission from the BSF office in Jaisalmer. You have to reach Tanot Mata temple, and there is a counter to take permissions. You must submit your driver's license with the BSF officers at the counter, and they will give you a token that you show at the various checkposts on the way to BP609. This is provided on first come first serve basis and the earlier you reach, the better chances you have.

Ramgarh has quite a few eateries now (Our group had good food there including Aaloo parathas, chole bhatures, samosas etc.) and there are 2-3 petrol pumps too if I remember correctly.

Tanot too has many eateries now and they serve everything.
acquillew is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 13:41   #681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acquillew View Post
Did this circuit last year with a visit to BP609.
Now, you do not need permission from the BSF office in Jaisalmer. You have to reach Tanot Mata temple, and there is a counter to take permissions. You must submit your driver's license with the BSF officers at the counter, and they will give you a token that you show at the various checkposts on the way to BP609. This is provided on first come first serve basis and the earlier you reach, the better chances you have.
Yes, there is now a counter at the right side of the entrance to the Tanot Mata temple, manned by BSF. One needs to stand in line and submit original Aadhar or DL with them, tell them the number of people in the car, the vehicle number and make, which they enter in their register and then provide a pass in the form of a slip. There is one checkpost a km behind the temple where they collect that slip and let you pass. It is 22 kms from the temple to BP 609. The single road to that place is very scenic, with sparse traffic. Certainly worth a visit from Tanot. When you return, you will need to collect your id back from the outpost---this may take some time as all the cards are spread over a table, and it is tough to identify yours.

We reached Tanot around 1130 am, finished the temple visit in 15 minutes. it took us only 5 minutes to stand in line to get the pass. But when I returned to take back my Aadhar card, there was a long line of 50 persons there to apply for the pass.

One more update: the road from Tanot Mata temple to Longewala War Memorial is now extra-wide and very smooth. It took us 30 minutes to reach there, though Google estimated 50. Below is a picture of how the road looks like now.

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-img20221103131058.jpg

Edit: As the roads are now better, it took us 6.5 hours to cover Tanot, BP609, Longewala and reach Sam dunes. We spent around 20 minutes in Tanot, an hour to visit BP 609 and return to Tanot and 30 minutes in Longewala War Memorial (saw their video show in the bunker also).

Last edited by vnabhi : 13th November 2022 at 13:47.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 13:24   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
One more update: the road from Tanot Mata temple to Longewala War Memorial is now extra-wide and very smooth. It took us 30 minutes to reach there, though Google estimated 50. Below is a picture of how the road looks like now.
Thanks for the update. How is the road condition from Tanot to BP609? Can we take camera or mobile along?
Old 14th November 2022, 14:47   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
Thanks for the update. How is the road condition from Tanot to BP609? Can we take camera or mobile along?
It's a single road in great condition. Passes through rugged desert terrain which is very scenic. Hardly any traffic over the 22 km stretch one way. Can be covered in 20 to 25 minutes.

Some hazy pictures below:-

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-img20221103120430.jpg

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-img20221103120357.jpg

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-img20221103120227.jpg

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-img20221103120425.jpg

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-img20221103120951.jpg
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 09:17   #684
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

We are two couples with a kid each in tow. We have planned a trip to Ahmedabad + Udaipur from 26th Dec to 1st Jan

DAY 1 - Landing in Ahmedabad 26th Monday Evening.
DAY 2 - 27th Tuesday Day trip to the Statue of Unity
DAY 3 - 28th Wednesday
- Leave for Udaipur in the Morning
- Evening Udaipur Bagore ki Haveli and evening Cultural Performance
DAY 4 - 29th Thursday
- Udaipur Palace and local sightseeing ( Saheliyon-ki-bari, Car Museum, Wax Museum)

DAY 5 - TBD

DAY 6 - 31st Saturday Evening - Catchup with family based in Ahmedabad/Shopping

DAY 7 - 1st Sunday Return flight from Ahmedabad in the afternoon.

We have hired an Innova Crysta for the road drive. Here are the remaining things we want to do, but we can't do all of them and need your input.

- Ranakpur or Dilwara Jain Temple
- Kumbalgarh
- Mahara Pratap Museum at Haldighati
- Sun Temple at Modhera

Need some input from the community on what would be the best course here. If we want to retire on Day 5 in Ahmedabad, we will have to choose between Kumbalgarh and Sun Temple. If we stay the night of Day 5 in Udaipur, we may be able to do both Kumbalgarh and Sun Temple.

Looking forward to your input.
Old 15th November 2022, 09:50   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
trip to Ahmedabad + Udaipur
Depends on how easy it is for you to fly to Amadavad or Udaipur.

Am guessing the former and would suggest you to prioritize destinations around Udaipur. You'll have decent time on day 3 to do some city sightseeing and you can do Haldighati on day 4.

And you don't need to return back to Udaipur on day 5. You can consider doing Ranakpur, Kumbalgarh and stay at Mount Abu. See Dilwara-Modhera-Rani Ki Vav. You can cut down any destination depending on time available.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 23:09   #686

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to drive to Chittorgarh from Delhi this month and had a few queries for our Rajasthan experts.

1) How is the road from Jaipur -> Chittorgarh and back? And can it be done in the same day?
2) Is the road ok for a sedan?
3) Any safety hazards which can be expected if I'm on the road post 5pm (after sunset basically)?

TIA
Old 20th November 2022, 01:45   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAM View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to drive to Chittorgarh from Delhi this month and had a few queries for our Rajasthan experts.

1) How is the road from Jaipur -> Chittorgarh and back? And can it be done in the same day?
2) Is the road ok for a sedan?
3) Any safety hazards which can be expected if I'm on the road post 5pm (after sunset basically)?

TIA
Hi CaptAM,
The road is good all throughout. The last few KMs to Chittorgarh will have some minor potholes, which do not impact much. Also currently the NH8 has been patched up from Delhi to Jaipur and road further from Jaipur is good as usual.

Road is perfectly okay for a sedan.

Hazards to look out for -
First - Heavy to very heavy truck traffic. Mostly disciplined in sticking on to the lane they are moving but once in a while some adventurous truckers will try to drive the long trucks like a sedan and will be weaving around. So be clear when doing a quick overtake.
Second - Cattle jumping in from the median into the highway. So be on the watchout and do not hug the median at high speeds.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 10:24   #688
BHPian

Hello fellow Bhpians

I'll be doing a road trip from New Delhi to Goa with 4 senior citizens starting Dec 1. The plan is to do it in four parts -
  1. Delhi to Udaipur
  2. Udaipur to Vadodra (attending a wedding)
  3. Vadodra to Mumbai (seeing family)
  4. Mumbai to Goa

Since I am the only driver, I've chosen to drive mostly during the day. While the other stretches are good, I need any info that I can get on the Delhi-Udaipur stretch.

A few friends who've recently done Jaipur and Ajmer trips tell me that the highway, atleast until Jaipur isn't that great anymore and there's a lot of pothole, roadbumps, uneven patch dodging that I should be ready for.

Anybody been on the stretch recently ? Any alternate routes ? Any specific places to avoid ?

Deepesh

Last edited by DeepeshKarnik : 21st November 2022 at 10:25. Reason: Incorrect word
Old 21st November 2022, 11:17   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepeshKarnik View Post
Hello fellow Bhpians

I'll be doing a road trip from New Delhi to Goa with 4 senior citizens starting Dec 1. The plan is to do it in four parts -
  1. Delhi to Udaipur
  2. Udaipur to Vadodra (attending a wedding)
  3. Vadodra to Mumbai (seeing family)
  4. Mumbai to Goa
I did this stretch 2 weeks back, Jaipur to Mumbai in a single day, took me 16 hours.

Till Vadodara it's fairly ok. I took Modasa - Godhra route. Road is 90% good, the bypasses are in a mess. Expect fair amount of traffic during regular hours. Very limited food joints, no tolls!

Vadoara - Mumbai is a nightmare. The highway is in shambles between Vadodara and Surat. Heavy car traffic as well. So would suggest start early morning if possible. Once in MH the road is in-fact better with few bad patches.

Mumbai - Goa, I have always taken via Pune.

I would have suggested you route via MP (Bhilwara - Neemuch - Ratlam - Indore - Dhule - Pune - GOA), but given you have to be in Vadodara there isn't much choice.
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:27   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
I did this stretch 2 weeks back, Jaipur to Mumbai in a single day, took me 16 hours.

Till Vadodara it's fairly ok. I took Modasa - Godhra route. Road is 90% good, the bypasses are in a mess. Expect fair amount of traffic during regular hours. Very limited food joints, no tolls!

Vadoara - Mumbai is a nightmare. The highway is in shambles between Vadodara and Surat. Heavy car traffic as well. So would suggest start early morning if possible. Once in MH the road is in-fact better with few bad patches.

Mumbai - Goa, I have always taken via Pune.

I would have suggested you route via MP (Bhilwara - Neemuch - Ratlam - Indore - Dhule - Pune - GOA), but given you have to be in Vadodara there isn't much choice.
Thank you so much for the insight sir ! Since you've been on the stretch, do these plans look okay ? I am travelling with 4 senior citizens so I'm gonna have to take stops.

DELHI TO UDAIPUR STRETCH : Delhi - Jaipur Bypass - Ajmer Bypass - Bhilwara Bypass - Rajsamand - Nathdwara - Udaipur

UDAIPUR TO VADODRA STRETCH : Udaipur - Kherwara - Samalaji - Modasa Bypass - Godhra - Halol - Vadodara

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks