Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2020, 05:51   #556
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries

[quote=Shanksta;4914876]

* Do the state police frequently stop out of state vehicles for checking documents.

Usually not in Gujarat/ Rajasthan. Not aware of other states, but my experience is with SUV's. If you are travelling in Innova or similar, they may stop you for quick questions (have seen in Gujarat)

Roads are good everywhere, just keep documents updated. Regarding, stays, I usually go with TripAdvisor or better, book when you are around your destination. On most dates, occupancy is not an issue and normally (start hotels included) you get better prices at the reception. Either by lower prices or by inclusions of meals or an upgraded room.

Advise on Hotel/ Places to eat - Avoid cheaper hotels, many of the star chain hotels may have lower rates than they used to ask in the past. Most of these star hotels will be happy to pack you some to go food complementary.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:51   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
* Do the state police frequently stop out of state vehicles for checking documents.

Usually not in Gujarat/ Rajasthan. Not aware of other states, but my experience is with SUV's. If you are travelling in Innova or similar, they may stop you for quick questions (have seen in Gujarat)

Roads are good everywhere, just keep documents updated. Regarding, stays, I usually go with TripAdvisor or better, book when you are around your destination. On most dates, occupancy is not an issue and normally (start hotels included) you get better prices at the reception. Either by lower prices or by inclusions of meals or an upgraded room.

Advise on Hotel/ Places to eat - Avoid cheaper hotels, many of the star chain hotels may have lower rates than they used to ask in the past. Most of these star hotels will be happy to pack you some to go food complementary.
Thank you Turbanator ! That gives me some confidence.

The vehicle for the trip is a Fiat Grande Punto.

Other than the places in my route, would you suggest any other place to be added to the itenrary ?
Old 23rd October 2020, 10:57   #558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
The circuit planned is Chennai -> Udaipur, Pushkar, Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Mount Abu and back to Chennai.
Other than the places in my route, would you suggest any other place to be added to the itenrary ?
Am not aware about what particular things you have in your mind. Do consider adding Rann of Kutch. There are some posts here or in Gujarat thread. I will pick this over visit to Jaipur/ Pushkar unless there is something specifically. You can come back from Jaisalmer instead of going further North in my opinion. I usually prefer to spend longer time at one place instead of going at multiple places unless its for business
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 00:47   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
25th Dec 2020 till 03rd Jan 2021
Not at all enough. You are looking at atleast 2.5 days of aggressive driving each way to reach either Jaipur or Abu. That's about 5.5 to 6 days gone then and there. Don't plan an RJ trip unless you have 13-15 days minimum in hand if you want to properly explore, otherwise you'll only be doing a survey trip. Udaipur alone will take about 2 days exclusively, not counting the surroundings. Jaisalmer needs 3 days (Tanot-Longewala needs a day).

Quote:
Do the state police frequently stop out of state vehicles for checking documents, etc , ?
Keep all originals including PUC and no alcohol, you should fine including notorious MH.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 01:00   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Not at all enough. You are looking at atleast 2.5 days of aggressive driving each way to reach either Jaipur or Abu. That's about 5.5 to 6 days gone then and there. Don't plan an RJ trip unless you have 13-15 days minimum in hand if you want to properly explore, otherwise you'll only be doing a survey trip. Udaipur alone will take about 2 days exclusively, not counting the surroundings. Jaisalmer needs 3 days (Tanot-Longewala needs a day).
Hi narayan80, Thank you for the input.

Yes, we are aware that we will effectively lose 4 days to the major chunk of the drive. But keeping in mind Covid-19 and the fact we only got 11 days leave, we actually prefer this as it is lesser interaction and also Rajasthan is just a reason to drive.

This is like quick trip to the major places like Udaipur, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Mount Abu. We are planning to see only the 2-3 places per city and Longewala is on the map.

I know it sounds wierd to drive so far away and just stay 1-1.5 days at each place. But this more a trip for a change from the confinement for the past 7 months rather than anything else.
Old 24th October 2020, 11:37   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just stay 1-1.5 days at each place
Dude! You don't have 1-1.5 days at each place Top of my mind, here's a top level plan I can come up with with realistic aggressive distances one can drive on a 10-day trip.

25 Dec - Madras-Adilabad
26-Dec - Adilabad-Jhansi/Gwalior
27-Dec - Jhansi/Gwalior-Agra-Jaipur (option to visit Oraccha, Taj, Bharatpur enroute)
28-Dec - Jaipur
29-Dec - Jaipur-Pushkar-Jaisalmer
30-Dec - Jaisalmer
31-Dec - Jaisalmer-Tanot-Longewala-Jaisalmer
1-Jan - Jaisalmer-Abu-Amadavad
2-Jan - Amadavad-Satara (Karad/Kolhapur if you can push it)
3-Jan - Satara/Karad/Kolhapur-Madras

This should be about 5500-6000 km-ish on 10 days.

Last edited by narayans80 : 24th October 2020 at 11:40.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 12:19   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Dude! You don't have 1-1.5 days at each place. Top of my mind, here's a top level plan I can come up with with realistic aggressive distances one can drive on a 10-day trip.
My plan at the moment. We are trying to fit in Jaipur somehow.

24 Dec - Madras - Sira (Leaving by 3-4PM)
25 Dec - Sira - Kadodra (Bharuch if possible)
26-Dec - Kadodra - Chittorgarh(Fort) - Udaipur
27-Dec - Udaipur - Jodhpur (Short distance and after exploring Pichola)
28-Dec - Jodhpur - Jaisalmer
29-Dec - Jaisalmer - Longewala - Munabao
30-Dec - Munabao - Mount Abu (Via Barmer)
31-Dec - Mount Abu
1-Jan - Mount Abu - Silvassa (or Daman)
2-Jan - Silvassa - Sira
3-Jan - Sira - Madras (After having a generous KA breakfast, cannot leave without Benne Dosa and Thatte Idli)

We are planning to take an extra day leave i.e. 4th Jan also ! Again, this trip is more for the drive. It is an extreme contrast to our trip(same gang) last year to Kerala where we were just chilling out in a single place for 3 days.

Last edited by Shanksta : 24th October 2020 at 12:24.
Old 27th October 2020, 12:05   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
1. a. Mehsana - Hotel Highness (decent place, very good parking)
b. I saw a mention for Hotel Hind in Abu Road in some other thread
2. Best would be to get something packed from where you stay the night
4. AMD onwards till Jodhpur, traffic is sparse and consistent throughout the
week. Nothing to worry about.

Thank you for getting back, Hotel Highness looks like a decent option. Getting packed food makes sense too. I will update the thread with details once I complete the trip. Thanks again.
Old 6th November 2020, 21:57   #564
Senior - BHPian

So This thread has quite a lot of information, let me ask my queries to the people who have already done the trip.

We live at Mumbai and my parents and me have around 13-14 days at hand and we want to explore Rajasthan. We have been at home since the lockdown and we pretty much tired of doing so, we want to explore, eat nice food, just sit and do nothing on somedays, just get out of the house and have some fun.

We are history buffs with me being into photography too, The days we have start from 14th Nov to 30th Nov, ideally would want to get back home for before 30th, say on the 28th to chill for 2 days and rest before work starts.

We are all history buffs, love rustic surroundings (we keep going to Junagadh very often just because of that)

We want to see the rustic side of Rajasthan, from what I could gather, Jaisalmer is one city which is like that. We will want to see Tanot, Longewala, Munbao and explore Jaisalmer and its streets for shopping, photography and just soak in that life for a few days. I understand that spending 12-13 days in Jaisalmer will but a lot, so which other place can I explore in Rajasthan which has similar kind of rustic feel.

Please let the suggestions pour in. Hotel or Airbnb suggestions are welcome too.
Old 8th November 2020, 12:12   #565
BHPian

Hi all,

I will be making an urgent trip from Jaipur to Vadodara tomorrow with a 3 months old and wife. What is the best route?
Old 8th November 2020, 14:45   #566
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all,

I will be making an urgent trip from Jaipur to Vadodara tomorrow with a 3 months old and wife. What is the best route?
The regular golden quadrilateral should be the best.

Jaipur-Ajmer-Udaipur-Himmatnagar-AMD-Baroda.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 16:23   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The regular golden quadrilateral should be the best.

Jaipur-Ajmer-Udaipur-Himmatnagar-AMD-Baroda.
What about this route by Google Maps? How are the roads? If you have any idea.

Rajasthan Road Trip : Queries-ea4e3ff5b8f84ace8152c73802b2d855.png
Old 8th November 2020, 17:58   #568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
What about this route by Google Maps? How are the roads? If you have any idea.
When you are on long distances, its always better to take tolled arterial roads even at the cost of extra distance. Not sure about the status of many interior sections other than the main ones.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 22:05   #569
BHPian

Hi Team,

I am driving to Jodhpur from Pune, immediately post Diwali & need take a night stop somewhere in Ahmedabad. Can someone please suggest the ideal route that I should take to cross Ahmedabad and any good hotel on the same route? I need to pick up my cousin who will be arriving from Jamnagar to Ahmedabad using a travel's bus.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th November 2020, 01:39   #570
BHPian

Hi Everyone, going to Jaisalmer this weekend. Any recommendation for desert camp?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks