Team-BHP - Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/1404-bodybuilding-exercises-supplements-104.html)

Creatine is considered mostly safe, though a lot of debate is going on. I doubt anyone here has actually done an independent research on safety of these supplements in the long term and all, but until it is specifically proved that they will harm you, people will continue to use them. So in the end its a persons free will.
Creatine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia : Says there are generally no side effects, but the sources can be biased according to the article.

Moreover, all drugs or supplements have been deemed safe or unsafe on various occaissons.
For example
Nimesulide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This drug has been banned in europe, but some countries including India do not have any warnings. So in the end its your choice, you may believe the European study and choose not to take it, or you may think the benefits outweigh the risks, and continue to take that. Everybody has a choice. I learnt long time back that it makes no sense to argue against a supplement, unless somebody here is advising a substance that is actually banned, which is clearly not the case.
So if you belong to the camp which believes in these protein powders etc., go ahead, take them, and if you don't, then don't take them. But don't for a moment kid yourself that you will convert anyone from your opposite camp!
The same discussion has taken place many times v2k, and every time outcome is a debate with no conclusion :D

guys, I was using FDA just as a pawn. I don't take it's word as Gospel either.

the offense I took was against a blanket statement "Majority of supplements are safe". I am pretty sure a lot of us here are learning from this discussion and I wouldn't want to get them misled.

The human body is a result of billions of years of evolution and I don't think making chemicals to alter it's functioning without disturbing other mechanisms can be achieved in a century or two.

I honestly don't think that anyone can say with conviction that "majority of supplements are safe". Even though I consider myself somewhat "qualified" to talk about supplements, I'm certainly wary about quite a few. That said, there are so many foods that do not come under the purview of the FDA, that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and these aren't even supplements!

I remember reading somewhere that the US govt. prohibited KFC from using the word "chicken" as they said what KFC sells is NOT chicken as we know it. The birds are raised for maximum meat and are bred to be without claws, beaks, feathers, etc. There must be some truth to it because if you notice it no longer says Kentucky Fried Chicken anywhere, simply KFC!

@TSK - I don't understand your hostility but let me assure you there's no war brewing between supplement users and non users. There are no "camps" and no new found "religion" that needs conversion. At best, one might offer an explanation why one chooses to take/not take supplements but that's it. The only reason that I can think of anyone trying to "convert" someone to a user is for monetary gains. Thus far, I am not aware of any member here who is into selling supplements and honestly I haven't come across a single post by anyone who has specifically asked a non user to start using supplements.

Regarding Nimesulide, I'd asked my doctor about it years ago. His opinion was that this drug was seriously affecting the sale of other NSAIDs and hence those manufacturers wanted it off the market, since Nimesulide does not cause gastric irritation (acidity) and is fast acting. I prefer to believe him. Since I hardly pop pills, I'm in the lowest risk category anyway.

By supplements, I mean "Dietary Supplements" manufactured by cGMP approved "responsible" manufacturers like: NOW, Country LIFE, Jarrow.

That excludes designer "Dietary Supplements" like methyl, ethyl, ethers and whatever "molecularly altered compounds" such as Pro/Designer Hormones, Designer Anabolics etc.

There's a major loophole in set nomenclature by FDA to what should be considered as a Dietary Supplement (as per DSHEA).

As a result, supplement companies are milking these loopholes quite effectively to market their chemically altered versions of dietary supplements, which have virtually zero safety studies. So on a broader term, when we take these into account, I agree All Dietary Supplements which make their way into market are not safe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone (Post 1316995)

That excludes designer "Dietary Supplements" like methyl, ethyl, ethers and whatever "molecularly altered compounds" such as Pro/Designer Hormones, Designer Anabolics etc.

That is precisely what I meant. agree: with you on everything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagan.js (Post 1311213)
Animal pak is expensive. I think shaju was popping 11 packs at a time, or something like that.

Oh I missed this thread for few days ! I was researching on a DSLR (to click photos once the 6 pack is obtained:)). Ok, Animal Pak is good and expensive and it contains 11 tabs in a pack. I used to take 1 pack after dinner and its finished 1 month back. Also my BSN NO-Explode tub is empty. Presently I have only Myofusion which is now just half of a 5 Lbs tub. As of now, no more plans for these expensive powders. Got a 1 kilo pack of Sevenseas Codliver oil free. And I am thinking of protein shakes and similar stuff home-made (as my wifee is available at home 24/7 ). Reasons;

I finished 5 Lbs ON Gold standard whey, 2 Lbs BSN NO Explode, Animal Pak (44 Packs), 2 Lbs ayurvedic whey, 2.5 Lbs Myofusion apart from all those eggs, meat and Soy milk packs (over 10 ltrs) in the last 4 months. Although I find bit of fit and finish on the body, I have not obtained decent biceps (20 kg dumbell presently). And its time for my review this wednesday. It will be change of workout-strategy and items. I will have a clear idea what is next after wednesday. Will update then !:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram18 (Post 1316986)
@TSK - I don't understand your hostility but let me assure you there's no war brewing between supplement users and non users. There are no "camps" and no new found "religion" that needs conversion. At best, one might offer an explanation why one chooses to take/not take supplements but that's it. The only reason that I can think of anyone trying to "convert" someone to a user is for monetary gains. Thus far, I am not aware of any member here who is into selling supplements and honestly I haven't come across a single post by anyone who has specifically asked a non user to start using supplements.

Hostility? I only asked v2k not to fret too much, and that everybody has a choice? Where did I say any member is making monetary gains. I fully agree you are qualified, and I am not saying what you recommend is not safe
Quote:

Regarding Nimesulide, I'd asked my doctor about it years ago. His opinion was that this drug was seriously affecting the sale of other NSAIDs and hence those manufacturers wanted it off the market, since Nimesulide does not cause gastric irritation (acidity) and is fast acting. I prefer to believe him. Since I hardly pop pills, I'm in the lowest risk category anyway.
I was making the same point, in any drug/supplement/medicine, there are always different camps with different views.

Any supplement questions, ask me. I workout a good amount and don't use supplements, but have used them. I'm working on my personal trainer and Strength and Conditioning certifications. There is a lot of BS on the internet, so it's good to get a logical opinion about all the info out there.

Okay lets hear your opinion on creatine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gagan.js (Post 1318520)
Okay lets hear your opinion on creatine.

Or whether using diatary supplements will affect my chances on judgement day. (The world's fate hangs on the issue, c'mon!)

U guys need to watch this clip from "Bigger Stronger Faster", it hilarious!!!

YouTube - How to make your own supplement company

YouTube - bigger faster stronger film clip featuring Rick Schaff

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mblova (Post 1318426)
Any supplement questions, ask me. I workout a good amount and don't use supplements, but have used them. I'm working on my personal trainer and Strength and Conditioning certifications. There is a lot of BS on the internet, so it's good to get a logical opinion about all the info out there.

@Mblova - maybe you can answer my query on whey for exercising diabetics which i posted a few weeks ago (quoted below)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jassi (Post 1296804)
all - i have 2 questions

1) is whey protein useful and safe for exercising diabetics (type 2). eg. ON double choco gold std. whey
2) what is a good supplements shop in pune - is there a reliance wellness or neulife store?

Initial review-
Superpump250-

Used 3 days till now continuously.
1 day- very good energy and focus,Good pump as well.
Exercises done - Chest and triceps.
2 day - No energy at all,focus was also down.
Exercises done - Shoulder and Traps.
3day- Excellent energy,very good focus and great pump.
Exercises done - Biceps and Forearms

So second day was a problem,it can be because i slept quiet less that day. I am quiet impressed by the focus am getting. Will update again after few more days.
Also had heard so many people saying on BB.com they get stomach trouble with superpump. No such trouble so far.

Iso Sensation 93-
Excellent taste(have to say never tasted such a yummy choco flavour in any supplement), used 4 days till now so will take time to show the effects. It dissolves in seconds.

Muscletech Nitrotech Hardcore- Just used 2 days by now. Have some problem in dissolving and is quiet thick. Takes sometime and taste is ok kinds(maybe cos i had tasted Iso Sensation before so i dont like this much).

P.S-Iso Sensation 93 and Muscletech Nitrotech Hardcore are both sourced from Alfa in Mumbai for 4200 each.

I was interested in Myofusion and Syntrax Nectar also but they were no available at Alfa.
Anyone in NCR knows where i can get Nectar from?

A lot of times we have questions around how long before working out should i eat, as obviously none of us likes working out with that "full" feeling. The stomach if still digesting requires a good supply of blood to do its job, however if we start working out, blood is suddenly sent to the muscles involved in exercise. As a result the food just sits longer there waiting to be digested, thereby starting to ferment or putrefy and causing a whole host of problems like headaches, allergies (when undigested toxic remnants are let loose in the bloodstream), gastro and digestive problems.
Here is a good list of digestive times of various foods when eaten alone. Ofcourse it is understood that the more foods you mix the more time it will take to digest and that will be significantly more than the times mentioned below for single items. Significant chewing and mastication is recommended for below times and mixing of concentrated carbs with proteins (acid and alkaline) retards digestion, so does addition of fatty dressings (countered by a good salad)

DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS
(approx. time spent in stomach before emptying). ........
Water
when stomach is empty, leaves immediately and goes into intestines,
Juices
Fruit vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes.
Semi-liquid
(blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min.

Fruits

Watermelon - 20 min.digestion time.
Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - digest in 40 min.

Vegetables

Raw tossed salad vegetables - tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper, other succulent vegetables - 30 to 40 min. digestion. -
Steamed or cooked vegetables
Leafy vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min. - Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - all 45 min. digestion time
Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.
Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches
Jerusalem artichokes & leafy, acorn & butternut squashes, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - all 60 min. digestion.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains

Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats (first 3 vegetables best) - 90 min.
Legumes & Beans - (Concentrated Carbohydrate & Protein)
Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min. digestion time
soy beans -120 min. digestion time
Seeds & Nuts
Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Digestive time approx. 2 hours.
Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy

Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - approx. 90 min. digestion time
whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min. digestion
whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours digestion time

Animal proteins

Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
Whole egg - 45 min.
Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
Chicken - 11/2 to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
Turkey - 2 to 2 1/4 hours digestion time (without skin)
Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
Pork - 41/2 to 5 hours digestion time

Digestion Times area taken from the first link which came up in google search for "times of digestion" FreeTrainers Forums - DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS

Hope this is useful for people here who are planning their diet and workout timings :)

Quote:

Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.
Even though its up to 3 hours, I still see people having them while warming up and just before hitting the weights.
Theres something about peanuts, good instant energy I heard.