Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2020, 06:29   #4696
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Hello Guys,
I am planning to order Optimum Whey protein supplement online in Delhi, Can anyone tell me which is the best site to order where I can get genuine and authentic quality product.
Healthkart and Neulife both should be good.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:45   #4697
Senior - BHPian

What is the general opinion in this thread about Protein intake?

I feel, our ordinary diet approaches the lower end of recommended Protein intake (0.8gm per Kg of body weight as per DRI) if not outright deficient. My personal opinion is that, atleast there should be a conscious effort to increase Protein intake in the Indian context. Not just from a body building perspective but from a maintenance of muscle mass point of view. Specially post the age of 40.

But the question that keeps bugging me is, what would be the adequate protein intake for someone who wants to put on some lean muscle mass (not really bulk up)? Information on the Internet is scattered. Some go by the DRI recommended 0.8 Gm per kg, some say this is bare minimum and some others recommend more than double if you want to add muscle mass.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 16:28   #4698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
what would be the adequate protein intake for someone who wants to put on some lean muscle mass (not really bulk up)? Information on the Internet is scattered. Some go by the DRI recommended 0.8 Gm per kg, some say this is bare minimum and some others recommend more than double if you want to add muscle mass.
It depends upon various factors example - your age, training age, body composition. There is no one size fits all.

Ideally anything between 0.8-1.2 gms per kgs (for sedentary individuals) would result in gain in muscle mass provided other factors are in place i.e. your weight training and balance two components of your diet (carbs and fats).

For gym regulars, this value may be between 1.2-1.5 gms per kg, for bodybuilders it may be 1.8-2.2 gms per kgs.

Best way to find out is to plan out a diet, stick to it for certain period (2-3 months) and see the results. If it is not working, then you need to revisit the plan.

How to know if it is working:- mirror, your body composition and your lifts in gym.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 01:17   #4699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the question that keeps bugging me is, what would be the adequate protein intake for someone who wants to put on some lean muscle mass (not really bulk up)? Information on the Internet is scattered. Some go by the DRI recommended 0.8 Gm per kg, some say this is bare minimum and some others recommend more than double if you want to add muscle mass.
Unfortunately, there seems to be very little research conducted in India for the Indian genetic buildup and diet. Therefore, we cannot simply follow the numbers prescribed based on western research (even those numbers vary to a large extent).

I come from a south Indian vegetarian household and if I look at the traditional dietary habits of my family or even our community, the protein intake is very less. Even vegetable consumption is on the lower side. Comparing that to the current recommendations I sometimes wonder how our genes even made this far . Of course, my forefathers would have never made it in a bodybuilding competition but there were many healthy folks who lived well till their old age.

The point I am trying to make is that, don't look at the numbers. Like ast.ggn said above, listen to your body and the mirror on the wall.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 10:34   #4700
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,
I am planning to order Optimum Whey protein supplement online in Delhi, Can anyone tell me which is the best site to order where I can get genuine and authentic quality product.
Davisco.in is where I have been buying for years. They sell all types of whey protein imported from the US.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 12:26   #4701
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,
Amazon. Just make sure seller is one of the below

Cloudtail India: Directly procured and sold by Amazon.

Primarc Pecan: Authorised importer and resellers of ON products.

Authentic ON products are now days coming with a code which can be verified online.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 10:25   #4702

From my personal experience...

- Started weight-lifting at the age of 26, and have been doing it on and off, now due to COVID the gym is closed and I dont usually do the treadmill at home

- Used proteins and creatine supplements during my 20s and early 30s, but now feel those were really not needed, a healthy balanced diet (veg or non-veg), and a healthy attitude is enough

- Have indulged in martial arts for couple of years, intermittent fasting etc, so I do not fancy any supplements or intakes, nor do i use any gadgets like the fitness band/watch (which someone gifted me), since my body usually gives me the health signals more than these gadgets which get outdated every couple of years. Just my experience and not a health advisory
kishgator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 10:50   #4703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Amazon. Just make sure seller is one of the below

Cloudtail India: Directly procured and sold by Amazon.

Primarc Pecan: Authorised importer and resellers of ON products.

Authentic ON products are now days coming with a code which can be verified online.
I always have purchased ON whey protein from Amazon and after verification with the scratch card/hologram on the box, it has always been genuine. Will recommend Amazon as a safe and convenient source. The seller in my case has always been Cloudtail India (i.e Amazon owned entity).
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 13:24   #4704
BHPian

Guys who are buying from Amazon and other portals just make sure it is imported by below two companies and carries proper labels. There is already a parallel thread going on about counterfeit products on Amazon.

Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements-screenshot_20200714131809_chrome.jpg

This is from ON official website.
Old 4th August 2020, 17:10   #4705
Senior - BHPian

Gyms across India set to reopen from tomorrow. How many are ready to go back ?

The gym I go to has come up with a good idea to workout and still maintain distance, but one has to wear a mask and face shield. Its probably the best they can do under these circumstances, but doesn't work for me.
So I've decided to continue with online sessions until November, by when the daily cases would hopefully subside.
Old 4th August 2020, 18:04   #4706
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
but one has to wear a mask and face shield.
So I've decided to continue with online sessions until November, by when the daily cases would hopefully subside.
My gym has asked us to download their app so whenever they are allowed to start, there will be a rota where you have to book your slot and they will only allow a certain number of people at a time.

Personally, I will be avoiding gyms for the near future. I think the chances of spread are too high.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 19:01   #4707
Senior - BHPian

Gyms should be completely avoided in the current scenario in my opinion. Wearing a mask and face shield doesn’t cut it at all. In fact with exertion it will make things even worse, heavy breathing with a face mask is a no no and not wearing a mask would be plain crazy.

Imagine touching machines/weights, how much of cleaning/disinfecting is humanly possible and at what intervals. Even not using the washroom/locker/changing room is not practical as you are going to be drinking fluids for hydration. Checking temperature at the entrance doesn’t do anything as there can be people who are asymptomatic.

Most if not all gyms (at least in India) don’t have open spaces and no real way to cross ventilate the area for safety either.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:32   #4708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the general opinion in this thread about Protein intake?

I feel, our ordinary diet approaches the lower end of recommended Protein intake (0.8gm per Kg of body weight as per DRI) if not outright deficient. My personal opinion is that, atleast there should be a conscious effort to increase Protein intake in the Indian context. Not just from a body building perspective but from a maintenance of muscle mass point of view. Specially post the age of 40.

Some further questions to ponder (before you get caught in the marketing smoke and mirrors):
1) what makes you feel that your current levels of proteins is inadequate? (issues, symptoms)
2) if extra proteins is required for growth, then what is the life stage of an organism when it is fastest growing - how much proteins are required then?
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 12:01   #4709
BHPian

Hello,

So am looking to start strength training since that is (based on what little reading I have done) a good way to improve health and loose weight as well (benefits summarized by Stribog as well in quoted post below).

Am totally new to weights, last I used a gym was during school days. Post that used to play some sports in college. After job started the sedentary lifestyle crept on slowly but steadily resulting in me being overweight (last checked was 110 kgs). Am not very sure if body weight exercises would be very good for me with this excess weight. Tried running but it was painful for the knee so decided to stop it. Read through the thread on Walking vs Running (The Walking vs Running debate) and felt that brisk walking / light jogging might be more apt for me. Weights to add the strength training element, hence the need for a basic set of dumbells. Did some online searches and found two which I like:

One of them is from decathalon which looks very nice (20 kg set). My only concern is whether the clips on it are good enough to hold the weights since some reviewers have mentioned that the weights came off. In vertical position the max weight it can support is 7 KG as per the photo on the web-site. Am somehow not very convinced about this option hence looked around some more and found these from Fitsy. Slightly more expensive but they have the threaded screw on locks which I feel might be more durable. They are available in chrome plated form also. Does chrome plated have an advantage over regular iron ones in terms of avoiding rust? Based on youtube videos and online searches felt that PVC is not really a very good option since they can be uneven in terms of weight and if they tear then they are total waste. The rubberized ones I did not understand whether they make for a good option or not and hence felt that iron ones would be best.

20 kg felt like a good starting set for me, and I could add weights once I become regular at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Dumb bells are limited in range of exercises. Why don't you consider Kettlebells?
Samurai San, would you recommend kettlebells for a new comer we well? I saw the video and was just wondering if these are good for someone who has no background in strength training at all. Also, what should be a good weight of kettle bell should one go for them at beginner level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
https://www.decathlon.in/p/8491831/c...bell-kit-20-kg

The easy clip ons make it easy to increase or decrease weight .
Hello Gautam - Could you please share your feedback / opinions on the above 20 kg set. Are the clips good enough or did you ever feel them giving up, being loose. How are the holding up for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Resistance training has tremendous health benefits for anyone and everyone.

you increase your tolerance levels, thus reducing fatigue in real world scenarios.
Increase bone density and strength
Weight management
Helps fight certain diseases
Helps keep depression at bay

A couple of things to keep in mind

1) get a capable and experienced lifter to partner with you initially, or get a professional trainer. There is something called "form" (the right way and angle to lift a particular weight), which if you get wrong, you could hurt yourself or just not achieve results

3) just invest in decent gloves (I get severe callous if o don't wear a glove), flat shoes and you are good to go.
Thank you for a wonderful post Stribog. You summed up the benefits quite well. When you say flat shoes are you referring to the kind we used to have in school for PT (the white ones). Or are these some specific shoes? Would normal walking shoes do?

As mentioned by Stribog as well, form is very important. In my case since I would be doing this at home only (do not plan to go to the gym at all), would be relying on you tube videos for guidance around form. Any good recommendations would help. One which I had seen and seemed to be good was MiamiMuscleUSA. Any other recommendations would help.

Thanks,
S
Old 14th August 2020, 14:22   #4710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set-Workout/dp/B07V]Any other recommendations would help.

Thanks,
S
1. Please include basic cardios. With your weight and goal, it is recommended. Do it after weights.

2. Always, and always warm up before you start training

3. Arnold Schwarzenegger once said, your body does not know what brand or type of weight you use, as long as it is weight. So, chrome plated or cast iron does not matter. Fitsy is a good option, and I would choose those over Decathlon ones. Mainly because of the locks, and more versatility. Cast iron is just fine. It wont rust, as those are color coated. Will get a patina over time.

4. Get a tricep rod, EZ bar and a 5 feet bar as well. No need for olympic bars, as those Fitsy weight plates wont fit in Olympic bars.

5. Get a waist belt for training.

6. Add compound exercises. Squats are essential. Dead lifts, bench presses, over head press

7. Also get some extra weight plates apart from those that comes with dumbell sets. Two 7.5 kgs, and two 10 kgs for your squats and presses to start with. Then you can add up as per progress.

8. Trust me when I say that cables are required but not that you cant do without machines. My father and uncles never used those and my uncle still maintains biceps larger than me 30 years after he stopped.

9. Apart from you tube, Instagram is a good source for training materials.

10. Training is 70 percent diet, 30 percent exercise. Keep that in mind please

I have been doing exercise for past 5 months from home, and not only have I maintained my progress from gym days, but also gained. All free weights.

Welcome to the whole new world of exercise. You will love every moment of it.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th August 2020 at 15:00. Reason: Spacing for better readability
sbanerjee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks