Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2008, 12:04   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Currently watching "Sexy Beast" and no it's not what you think! It's actually a British Gangster movie!

Have only managed half till now but it's fantastic & (Sir) Ben Kingsley aka Krishna Bhanji is outstanding in his portrayal of Don Logan, an extremely violent and mental gangster. It even earned him a Best Supporting Actor nomination at the Oscar's!

The movie's style is typical Guy Ritchie/Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and the movie moves along quickly. BUT there is a lot of swearing & cuss words so watching with kids is a strict no-no!

Full rating after I finish the movie which should hopefully happen tonight!
Old 15th July 2008, 12:44   #1352
Team-BHP Support

Watched this weekend - Vantage Point. (Plot Rating - 3/5)
Will watch next - Atonement
The one to watch out for - Journey to the center of the Earth (the new one).
Old 15th July 2008, 13:32   #1353
BHPian

Movies watched in the past week:

Jaane tu Ya Jaane na : A good family entertainer with some peppy music from A.R. Rehman.

Perfect Strangers: 'Can watch it once' kind of movie starring Bruce Willis and Halle Berry.

Loking forward to watch the Dark Knight releasing this weekend. Not sure of Hancock as the reviews are not very encouraging.
Old 15th July 2008, 15:16   #1354
BHPian

Saw Hancock... what a waste of talent. Mr Smith and Charleze i didnt think you would be in need for such a role. what were you thinking. Utter rubbish! 2/10
Old 15th July 2008, 15:21   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw Hancock... what a waste of talent. Mr Smith and Charleze i didnt think you would be in need for such a role.
LOL I share your feelings & to add insult to injury I watched Lovestory 2050 as wifey wanted to watch it
Old 15th July 2008, 16:36   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
... BUT there is a lot of swearing & cuss words ...
Look who's talking

I haven't seen seen this movie yet, but have heard a lot of good things about it.

I have been mostly off movies for quite a while now. I won't quite count watching "Dasavatharam" last week. Though I can't make out a single word of tamil, I found it quite "entertaining". Dumb movie? Yes, but a very nice movie to watch and poke fun at. Is it just me, or is Kamalahasan trying to ape Al Pacino's mannerisms from time to time (when he is his own 'avatar')? The make-up is a joke and so are the uh, "special effects".

Have started on my regular movie-watching since yesterday. Mostly going to watch my old faves for a while with my wife (she hasn't seen quite a few of them). Yesterday I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, starring Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Wilkinson, Elijah Wood, Kirsten Dunst etc etc. I enjoyed it as much as any of the earlier times I'd watched it (which is a whole lot!). It was even more enjoyable, watching it with wifey

The movie is written by Charlie Kaufman, so it comes with that goofy, crazy, but ultimately straight-to-the-heart-of-the-concept style. Ideally, you should watch it without any idea about what the movie is all about, to really savour the story, as things happen.

In my DVD player today: Ladykillers (1955, I think) - The original version with Peter Sellers and Alec Guinness.
Old 15th July 2008, 16:43   #1357
BHPian

KungFu Panda - has to be one of the most spectacular movies from dreamworkz after a long time.

Highly recommended
Old 16th July 2008, 11:21   #1358
BHPian

Zee Studio is showing some classics these days. Last evening I watched 'The World's Fastest Indian'.

The story of an old man, Burt Munro who owns a vintage 1920 Indian motorcycle. The motorcycle is his life. His dream is to speed run it over 200 mph on the vast salt tracks of Bonneville, Utah. He accomplishes his dream in the end. His journey from a small NZ town, Invercargill to Bonneville is brilliantly shot. Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro is one of the most impeccable performances in cinema I have seen in a long time.

Superb movie. 5/5 rating
Old 16th July 2008, 13:14   #1359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Yesterday I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Ah Hydra!! Welcome back to the thread!!

I agree, it is a lovely movie. But how do you watch movies more than once?
Old 16th July 2008, 13:26   #1360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my DVD player today: Ladykillers (1955, I think) - The original version with Peter Sellers and Alec Guinness.
I own the DVD of the new version of Ladykillers starring Tom Hanks and a bunch of nerds as his team mates. Hilarious movie.

Impeccable performance by Tom Hanks and the black lady who is the central character of the movie ( forgot her name)
Old 16th July 2008, 13:49   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Look who's talking

I haven't seen seen this movie yet, but have heard a lot of good things about it.
Exactly!! If I say there's a lot of cussing, you can understand how much there is!! Finished the movie, in the end it is an excellent effort but Ben Kingsley's effort stands heads & shoulders above the rest, truly stunning performance. After his performance the rest of the movie does feel a little dull!

Overall rating, 3.5/5. Put it on the must watch list if you like British Gangster/Guy Ritchie style movies.

Also watched American Gangster recently, another good movie. Fantastic performance by Denzel Washington! But if you are going to watch the uncut version, there is a lot of nudity so be warned! It is after all based in the late-60's/early-70's NY when all this was acceptable!

Story revolves around Denzel Washington who works for the Mob boss "Bumpy Johnson". After Bumpy's death he takes over the business & finds a new & innovative way to import Drugs directly from the source in SE Asia & controls the drug empire in Manhattan. An incorruptible cop (played by Russell Crowe) with a failed marriage & trouble of his own finally catches him though.

And yeah, it's based on a true story.

Overall rating 3.5/5.
Old 16th July 2008, 20:00   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Guess who's back!
Old 16th July 2008, 20:32   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
'The World's Fastest Indian'...
Superb movie. 5/5 rating
Haven't caught this one yet. I keep hearing good stuff about it, but I haven't lifted my @$$ up and taken the effort to get it yet. Added to list (for real, this time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Ah Hydra!! Welcome back to the thread!!
I agree, it is a lovely movie. But how do you watch movies more than once?
Thanks Watching most movies more than once is quite enjoyable (to me). In fact Eternal...Mind is one of those movies you will enjoy more and more in subsequent viewings: You always catch something new about the movie, some subtle flavour that you missed the first time around. During subsequent viewings, we tend to focus less on understanding what's happening in the foreground and pay more attention to the details -- Most of the time this gives you a better understanding of how the movie is built-up, or you see and enjoy subtle clues about how the story is going to turn later on in the movie (since you already know the story) etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I own the DVD of the new version of Ladykillers starring Tom Hanks and a bunch of nerds as his team mates. Hilarious movie.
Impeccable performance by Tom Hanks and the black lady who is the central character of the movie ( forgot her name)
The newer Ladykillers is quite enjoyable. There are some small changes in the story a/a the 1955 version. I prefer the older one, though (if I had to compare the two). I actually didn't like Tom Hank's performance that much (except the scene where he recites a poem to the ladies, where the humour was just perfect).

The humour is darker and subtler in the 1955 version, and the end doesn't seem as though they were in a hurry to wrap-up all loose ends. Alec Guinness is a true master -- he is almost dracula-like and all milk and honey all at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Also watched American Gangster recently, another good movie.
One of the best movies of last year, if I may say so. A lot of people I know found the movie to be slow and drawn-out, but I don't think so. In fact, I'd rate this movie as one of the most inspirational movies I've seen (and one of the most enjoyable, too). Both the characters, the mobster and the cop are built very well, and you really want to really good at what you do and be as dedicated at what you do, just like those two characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Mamma mia! The badass Bond is back! I'm going to watch it now on Tube, YouTube.

In my DVD Player today: 21 Grams. Starring Sean Penn, Benicio del Toro, and the lovely Naomi Watts. One of the better done discontinuous-edit-style movies with overlapping timelines. (@Proxima, you know, I actually think I enjoy watching my favourite movies again and again,more than watching a fresh, new movie that I know nothing about).

Last edited by hydrashok : 16th July 2008 at 20:40.
Old 16th July 2008, 21:00   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Saw this when I saw Hancock. And it did not really do justice or whet my appetite. The trailer, that is. Looked quite confused.
Old 17th July 2008, 14:27   #1365
BHPian

who's going to see batman tomorrow?

can't wait.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks