Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 01:59   #1441
Senior - BHPian

Singh is King

Just came back from the premier show of Singh is King. I did not go with very high expectations hence am not too disappointed.

The movie was good in parts but lacked any plot or story. I was impressed to see Sonu Sood & Ranvir Shorey in a somewhat key role & acting well. Katrina looked ravishing & sexy as ever. For a change, even Neha Dhupia looked nice!

The humor was a mix of dumb and double meaning jokes. All in all the movie was just a timepass. Definately not a repeat watch.

Rating 6.5/10
Old 8th August 2008, 14:59   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Watched 2 movies back to back yesterday

the good year: A russel crowe movie where an investment banker whos uncle Henry leaves him a chateu as an inheritance. He has got good experiences with this place but now he doesnt have any intention of keeping this place. Well the locales are simply brilliant and dialogue delivery is nice. Decent movie but ended up watching it for the locales.
I would rate it 2.5/5. The extra .5 for the location.

The Namesake: Absolutely left me stunned. Its basically about the struggles of this indian family who move to the US and Mainly deals with the Son and his name. He has been named Gogol after the russian author Nikolas Gogol. The son moves distant from the family when he grows up but then when his dad expires he realises the love he had for his dad. This changes himself completely.
Dont miss this movie
4/5
Old 8th August 2008, 15:09   #1443
BHPian

Watched Fearless and The replacement killers

Fearless - is a chinese martial arts movie with some good stunts, not much of a story line but lots of action - 2.5/5

The replacement Killers - not much to write about it - an assassin hired to kill decides to go against the hirer and the hirer engages replacement killers to kill the assassin and the original target. 1.5/5

I like the thriller/action movies like the Bourne series, Shooter was nice too - Any similar movies to watch? Suggestions pls.
Old 8th August 2008, 15:48   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Watched Fearless and The replacement killers

I like the thriller/action movies like the Bourne series, Shooter was nice too - Any similar movies to watch? Suggestions pls.
There is One with Leonardo Di caprio coming soon which is a nice thriller. Much like The Departed. That will be a good one.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:14   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Singh is Kinng

Walked into the 1405 show at PVR expecting a 70% opening and was surprised to see a 30% opening.

The movie has a story line as thin as a thread. A destructive do-gooder from a Punjab village is sent to Ozzie land to get back a fellow villager turned don. For some strange reason he is called King.

Our hero goes through the mandatory comic, romantic, action, emotional, dramatic scenes and finally succeeds in his mission.

Akshay goes at his role with great gusto and it shows. He is in fine form with his brainless hero act. Katrina is HOT !! The whole ticket money was wasoool watching her, sadly her acting is bad. The support cast all majorly sardarjis are good actors.

The best scene in the movie for me was the one where everybody uses the wheel chair laden paralysed don as a table on wheels. Hilarious !

Music is simply ok. I used to hate the title track on TV but in the theatre it was simply WOW !! The Snoop Dog video is at the end with the credits and it is nowhere close to the hype it generated. The music is fine, it's the video that disappoints.

If you have watched Namaste London - this movie is a copy about 70% of Namaste London.

You come out wondering why the hero was a Singh - if he was Anthony, Rahul, Abdul the movie would still have been the same.

It raises a few laughs - thats just about it.

Verdict - 1.75/5
If you miss it, do not worry.
Old 9th August 2008, 10:59   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar
Now there is something for the Car freaks out here - 3 Modded Stretch Bentley Limousines with Scissor Doors Stunning
Thats a Chrysler 300C Limo.
Old 9th August 2008, 19:28   #1447
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched Singh is King last night. I wanted to go for Ugli Pagli and by mistake took the ticket of Singh is King

Though in no way there were any regrets as the movie was overall a nice timepass. If you keep your brains at home, then its great fun to watch this movie.

It seemed to me the entire ensemble star cast was on a huge party, everyone having fun and did their bit quite nicely. I really like Sonu Sood's voice, very different. And, Neha Dupia, with her assets overflowing was paisa vasool

Katrina was ravishing with that stupid smirk on her face but then who expects her to act. And, Akshay is in awesome form and according to me he is the superstar and not SRK, great physique, awesome screen presence and as he grows older he is looking better ( with that pepper corn beard and crew-cut) and has improved his acting and comic timing to a large extent.

And, my favorite Ranvir didn't disappoint and he was hilarious in his small role. I liked that dialogue to an old gentleman ( tumhare birthday par mombatti par cake se jyada karcha hua hoga)

And my second fav hip-hop star ( first is Dr.Dre) was good but nothing great. If only they used the music and some lyrics of his " Lay Low" it would have blown people away

All in all, in real bollywood style, it was a fun movie ( 3/5)

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th August 2008 at 19:30.
Old 9th August 2008, 20:16   #1448
BHPian

On Zee Studio last night, I watched 'Lords of Dogtown' a dramatic film about a bunch of skateboarders from Venice, California (referred to as Dogtown by locals). They belong to a team called Zephry which is run by a bloke called Skip Engblom (played by Heath Ledger). The movie is based on a true story and revolves around three guys who are in the same team but with time tread their own paths. The three guys are Tony Alva (T.A), Stacy Peralta and Jay Adams.

Brilliant movie I must say. I could not get off to any other channel even during the ad-breaks. Heath Ledger as Skip is awesome!

rating: 4/5.
Old 9th August 2008, 23:27   #1449
Team-BHP Support

One question: How are you guys down south reacting to Singh is King; with so much Punjabi usage? Is it as big as it is here in North India ? Can most of you make out whats being said? Obviously, the dialogues and the story is brainless but still
Old 10th August 2008, 15:25   #1450
Team-BHP Support

Singh is Kinng!
Wow what a hilarious movie. I can watch it again.
I know our NC did not like it, but thats expected. If you don't understand punjabi most of the jokes will go over your head.
We watched in in Adlabs and over many jokes which were among the best, nobody laughed except a few who could understand the language and context.
Javed Jaffri is simply amazing in the movie, and he has the best comic timing

So if you understand punjabi(not just passable understanding but proper understanding) you will love the movie, otherwise you will wonder whats it all about
Old 10th August 2008, 20:25   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Am down with viral, so sat and watched 2 movies -

Wild Hogs - 4 middle aged guys with different personalities go on a biking road trip. Pretty routine and a perfect recipe for a Bollywood remake.

Eye in the Sky - a Hong Kong movie, thriller that looks at the police guys stalking these criminals. A behind the scenes look at the guys doing this boring job. Nice watch. I saw it on World Movies.
Old 11th August 2008, 12:53   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Well singh is king can be watched once and PLEASE LEAVE YOUR BRAINS AT HOME AND DONT EXPECT MUCH OF IT.
TOok the advice from vkochar and it did really help thoug as i could enjoi this movie.
About the use of punjabi i seriously wished they used subtitles so that we could get the stuff.
The music was pathetic and snoop doggs sopng was bad. Whats this hype over it.
I guess pritam is running out of songs guys. The marriage sequence song was too loud and nothing could be understood.
Sonu sood did a good role as the movable bar and ranvir was at his best with great lines.
Best was " Eh maali yeh kaunsa phool hai aur devdas jao aur darwaza ke paas khade ho jao"
Old 11th August 2008, 14:58   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Singh is Kinng!
Wow what a hilarious movie. I can watch it again.
I know our NC did not like it, but thats expected. If you don't understand punjabi most of the jokes will go over your head.
We watched in in Adlabs and over many jokes which were among the best, nobody laughed except a few who could understand the language and context.
Javed Jaffri is simply amazing in the movie, and he has the best comic timing

So if you understand punjabi(not just passable understanding but proper understanding) you will love the movie, otherwise you will wonder whats it all about
Completely agree with you. Being a punjabi myself i liked it a lot. Though few people around me were having trouble with few one liners as all cant understand punjabi. Its a braindead movie so just leave ur brain as dead and watch with the heart and you gonna have lotsa fun.
Old 11th August 2008, 17:18   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Saw Wanted last night....the movie got a 10/10 in my weirdometer.
The plot was OK but the way it was handled left me confused.
Specially the part about Wesley`s (the lead actor) so called training is so over the top and weird that i felt like skipping it and going straight to the action scenes.

The only good thing about the movie apart from Angelina jolie are the special effects.
The bullet trajectory scenes are Awesome.!
Old 11th August 2008, 20:30   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone knows which movies are releasing this coming weekend?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks