Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2010, 00:18   #61
BHPian

will still advice to drive down. certainly doable in two days. and if you can start Friday evening/night, you might get some time in Sunday.
Old 27th June 2010, 02:44   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I have moved my cars a number of times. Let me tell you few things. If you book car by a packer and mover they may not necessarily send it by a car carrier. Instead load in a goods carrier. There is a danger of items falling down on car or car skidding around and getting scratched. My advise:-

1. I assume you have discarded driving down altogether which actually is the best way.

2. If you book by Movers and Packers just ensure that car is loaded in FRONT of you in a CAR CARRIER and not a goods carrier.

3. You may like to contact the car dealers to know the carriers transporting cars to Kolkata from South (new ones). They all go empty. Very cheap, cost effective and safe.

4. Just leave the fuel bare minimum and note the Odometer. Dont be surprised if car is driven around quite a bit till the time you collect it.

5. If you are going to be permanent (guess in excess of six months) and not a defence personnel you need to pay the taxes in the state LEGALLY.

6. Reduce the tyre pressure when you load to reduce the jumping action.

7. When I transport I tie the mattresses on the sides of car to avoid scratches on the body . It may be problematic to carry the mattresses later on.

8. Take out all documents from the car.

9. VERY IMP : Give a list of main items in the car to include ICE, spare tyre, battery type, tools and accessories to the transporter and get his sign. Check them with this list when you receive the car.
Thanks a ton...I was looking for something like this...a checklist of things to note will greatly help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
will still advice to drive down. certainly doable in two days. and if you can start Friday evening/night, you might get some time in Sunday.
Actually I have booked my air-tickets already and in case I have to drive it to B'lore then I'll have to wait for the next time I return to Kolkata which means the car will be lying idle here for the next 3-4 months. I'm not sure if it's a sound idea for me to drive 2000kms as there's no other highway driver who can accompany me. Another thing that bothers me is safety. I'm not very sure how safe the stretch between CCU to BLR is considering the Maoists and bandits.
Old 27th June 2010, 02:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
If we are talking about the same thing then their office is in VIP Road. I told the guy over the phone that I was referred by a friend who had shipped his car last year. He told me that for small cars they charge 10K and for medium sized or bigger cars they charge 13.5K. I told him that he had shipped his big car for 10.5K to that he said it's not possible.
Yikes! Are you looking at the yellow website ? That is the correct one. I did get it for 10.5K Just haggle hard or the trailer is already full. 13.5 - 14 K is offered by many other reputed movers. Try them if he doesn't budge. Tell him that you will look at other packers. He will come down.
Old 27th June 2010, 02:57   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Yikes! Are you looking at the yellow website ? That is the correct one. I did get it for 10.5K Just haggle hard or the trailer is already full. 13.5 - 14 K is offered by many other reputed movers. Try them if he doesn't budge. Tell him that you will look at other packers. He will come down.
Yup the yellow website. I think you're right I would need to bargain a bit.

Anyways, I additionally dug up the following names too but not sure how good are they:
  1. Car Tranportation Services, Car Carriers India, Transportation Services, Car Transportation - goelpackersmovers.com
  2. Car Carriers - Car Transporters Offering Car Carrier Services and Car Transport Services
  3. Car Transportation Services,Car Carrier Services,Car Transportation Services India,Car Carrier Services India
  4. Euro Packers And Movers Pvt Ltd. Packers and Movers
Old 28th June 2010, 01:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I am very unhappy reading this thread Punnyabrata !! Why such an insult for the beautiful car?
I thought you should Fill it, Shut it, and Cruise it..to Bangalore...

Sorry for being OT
Abhi
OT Question:

Where you get your car serviced?
I have not applied for NOC from Kolkata PVD. I plan to run the car with WB registration in and around Outer Ring Road? What do you say about that?

@ Pervez: I called up that guy once again today. Mr. Mishra has been transferred to Ranchi so this new guy Sanjeev is there. He gave me a thousand reasons and told me that it cannot be cheaper than 10K for B'lore. He says he could have sent the car for 7-8K if it was Delhi. He even told me that incase I wanted to visit his office I could do that at VIP Road or he could pick up the car from home.

Anyways I planned to call up few other transporters too.

Car Tranportation Services, Car Carriers India, Transportation Services, Car Transportation - goelpackersmovers.com

Could not reach them on land phone number on their site.

Car Carriers - Car Transporters Offering Car Carrier Services and Car Transport Services

These guys are asking for 13.5K for a Maruti ALTO.

Car Transportation Services,Car Carrier Services,Car Transportation Services India,Car Carrier Services India

Again couldn't reach these guys too.

Euro Packers And Movers Pvt Ltd. Packers and Movers[/list]
These are asking for 9K to ship the ALTO to B'lore. Their office is in Shyambazaar.

All the above shippers are telling me that they will be shipping the car in a car-carrier which is returning from Kolkata to B'lore / Chennai.

Last edited by sabret00the : 28th June 2010 at 01:18.
Old 28th June 2010, 05:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

The last option looks easy on the pocket but check for reviews and others who have used this service. After all the car should reach w/o a scratch. Whats the point in saving on a carrier and then fixing the dents and scratches. See if 13K and all is the order of the day with most people then choose the one with the best record. But I am sure that I got my friend's sedan for 10.5 sharp. Accha one more thing I'd like to add is that it was the first price offered to me and he did not go even 1 rupee less. I guess there must be some thing else that might have changed. May be the rains factor and the Fuel price hike may be one reason.

One more thing when I was searching T-bhp for already suggested options by respected fellow members here I got to know that if you can get in touch with a transport company which delivers OEM cars from companies to dealer godowns then the price gets pretty cheap if they can afford to fit in your car in the trailer and rest assured that the your car will come out like the way the others in the trailer.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
OT Question:

Where you get your car serviced?
I have not applied for NOC from Kolkata PVD. I plan to run the car with WB registration in and around Outer Ring Road? What do you say about that?
Only one place - Surakshaa, Bomanahalli. Let me know once your car reaches Blore safely. I will give you Lokesh's number and call him also. Everything will be taken care off.

Dont drive around with WB number specially in ORR. You will end up paying hefty fines. I suggest talk to Arindam (arindamray), he might help you in those NOCs as he did bring his Zen from WB to KA.

Abhi
Old 3rd July 2010, 00:45   #68
BHPian

Thanks to everyone for the support...

I really wanted to thank every one who helped me. I must admit that most of the info I found was by searching through Team-bhp forum. I had coordinated mainly with 3 P&Ms i.e. Allied Lemuir, Interim-Freight Systems & Writer Relocations. Apart from this I have spoken to other Kolkata based P&Ms as well. Finally I settled with Writer Relocations.

They are very professional. The follow up process is wonderful. I used to call up the Assistant Manager attached to me late in the night and he would still talk to me pretty professionally. They sent in their crew today who packed all my stuff very efficiently and properly in a very short time. Best part is that they are highly punctual. I'm sent both the bike and the car along with household items with them. So far I'm highly satisfied and best thing is that they are very reasonable and flexible. Will update more info after receiving the goods and the car in Bangalore. That's all for now.

Last edited by sabret00the : 3rd July 2010 at 00:47.
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

How much did they quote, if you don't mind revealing the price.
I too had talked to Allied Lemuir but they had quoted 16K with insurance and taxes.
They were the most expensive of the lot. But professional over the phone.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 3rd July 2010 at 01:49.
Old 7th September 2010, 11:42   #70
BHPian

Any feedback on Allied Lemuir and Leo Packers & Movers. Allied seemed more professional and the complete package is cheaper than Leo with free storage for a month.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:51   #71
BHPian

Guys any advice, I need to take a decision.
Old 30th September 2010, 18:21   #72
BHPian

does anyone have experience with Lead Packers & Movers welcome to: Lead Packers and Movers

I am moving things from Bangalore to Pune and have been quoted following 18.5k (insurance additional) for hoursehold items (42" plasma, 7.1 home theatre, front loading washing machine, tv trolley and single bed). I am not sure given the few items I have, if this is reasonable. Also they mentioned insurance is additional 2.5% of the value of goods declared and I can declare anything!
For my car, hyundai santro, they are charging 8.5k - not sure if the car requires to be insured, as it already is insured, isn't it?

Any other suggestions - I see Leo and Writer being suggested here - are they better than Lead.
Old 2nd October 2010, 22:32   #73
BHPian

Try ATOZ from bang lore seen some good reviews. I just moved from delhi to pune and the charges were 7.5 for car (wagonR) 22.5 for house hold of a full 2BHK and 3.7 for insurance and you don't need to insure your car
Old 27th December 2010, 12:15   #74
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
Packers and Movers

Hey Folks

I am shifting house locally in Bangalore this weekend.

Which packers and movers do you recommend who will transport my stuff including Hifi gear safely? What are the standard agreements for damage in transit? Insurance costs? How much should it cost for a 10km move?

Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 12:28   #75
BHPian

Re: Packers and Movers

Hi,

I recommend you enquire to atleast 3 to 4 before finalizing.
1 year back i did it through Laxmi packers & Cargo Movers, i found them both economical and professional. You can call them and get an estimate & also a person from their team will visit your premises for the final quote. You can easilly bargain as well.

Most Viewed