Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2014, 15:58   #211

Re: Packers & Movers: Post all queries here

Quickly sharing my experiences given our shifting from Gurgaon to Mumbai has formally come to an end. We considered a couple of companies - Agarwal, Allied, Writers - and finally went with Agarwal (there are two of them - we went with the one that says Limca Book of Records). Their quote was the lowest among the three, and the salesperson was quite responsive.

Day of the move - We had the usual household furniture and a car to transport. They came on time, and packed everything up properly. The quality of packing material was good. One of their drivers came down and picked up the car. They were all done in about 8 hours or so. No major issues here.

In Mumbai - again, came on time, and were fairly professional. They seemed to be in a bit of hurry, but did whatever was asked of them. They unpacked everything in about 4 hours. There were a couple of things that were broken - we pointed those out and clicked pictures for insurance purposes. The car on the other hand had no damage at all - PHEW!!

Up until here, things were alright. Claiming insurance however proved difficult for the broken household goods. We had to write multiple emails, follow up a number of times with the Gurgaon and Mumbai office, before anything happened. Their customer service post-sale is extremely poor.

A couple of pointers, based on my experience:

1) The so called "professional" packers are all pretty much the same. Their prices are quite similar (if someone is way off that mark, that should be a warning sign to you) and their quality of service is also quite the same. That said, do shop around, and try and negotiate, both on the quoted price and other terms and conditions (we got them to keep our household goods for an extended period of time in their warehouse for free).

2) Be prepared for some breakage or damage. No matter how good the packaging is, some damage is bound to happen. Which probably means be sure to take insurance, and aggressively follow up on it later.

3) The way you treat the staff who come to pack your goods will show in the way they pack your stuff. We showed basic courtesy like gave them lunch, kept them hydrated at all times, and did some small talk. It goes a long way to keep their morale. Most of them are contractual employees, who are paid peanuts for the hard labor they do each day, so being nice helps.

4) Try and shift over the weekday as opposed to the weekend. Most packers have their hands full on weekends and are in a hurry. Labor is short and the ones that come need to also pack 1-2 other houses in the same day. Weekdays are less busy for them, so they'll likely do a better job.

5) Document everything and photograph everything. It comes in handy later when things go wrong, and you need to prove otherwise.

Hope this helps.
Old 12th August 2014, 10:08   #212
BHPian

Can anyone suggest me some reliable movers and packers in Pune ? I need to move household stuff to Mumbai (and also some stuff within same locality).
Old 30th October 2014, 17:10   #213
BHPian

Any BHPians with Mumbai to Delhi move? Would appreciate if you can share some good ones.

Also how many days in advance one should start roping in these guys to finally get packed loaded and moved.
Old 30th October 2014, 18:27   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Can anyone suggest me some reliable movers and packers in Pune ? I need to move household stuff to Mumbai (and also some stuff within same locality).

I have good experience with associated packers and movers
Old 13th January 2015, 16:41   #215
BHPian

Hi,

It's my first post here. Would have ideally like to comment on something more exciting But anyways..

I have to move from Gurgaon to Bangalore, and have a fair amount of furniture, household applicances, books, etc. Will also need to move my car. I am considering the following packers:

1. Agarwal DRS (http://www.agarwalpackerss.com/)

2. Agarwal Non-DRS (http://www.agarwalpackers.com/)

3. Writer Corp (http://www.writercorporation.com/)

4. Allied (http://www.alliedmoversandpackers.com/)

I am still waiting to get a quote from them. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 7th April 2015, 16:14   #216
BHPian

Guys I have to shift some regular household goods from Chennai to Kolkata along with a Fiat Linea.

Option to drive down is not on cards, so hunting for packers and movers who can transport it to Kolkata. Any pointers regarding the same would be really helpful.

Also I was wondering if I can send it through the various automobile Companies empty freight trucks. Does anyone have any contacts to these freights?

Thanks
Adhiraj
Old 13th April 2015, 16:08   #217
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2015 at 22:24.
adhiraj is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th April 2015, 18:35   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Guys I have to shift some regular household goods from Chennai to Kolkata along with a Fiat Linea.

Option to drive down is not on cards, so hunting for packers and movers who can transport it to Kolkata. Any pointers regarding the same would be really helpful.

Also I was wondering if I can send it through the various automobile Companies empty freight trucks. Does anyone have any contacts to these freights?

Thanks
Adhiraj

Hi Adhiraj,
In the last few years we have shifted lock, stock and barrel twice, once from Gurgaon to Bangalore and the other time from Bangalore to Gurgaon. Both the shifts/moves involved transporting vehicles too. Used the services of PM Relocators in the first instance and Interem in the return move to Gurgaon.
Found both of them to be very competent and responsive.
When it comes to transporting your car, suggest that you use the same guy who would transport your household goods. Some of these packers and movers have their own vehicles that transport cars and you should give preference to them. Just enquire and you will get the answers. Also, when it comes to delivery of vehicles at your destination point, rather than a home delivery of the vehicle, I chose to collect the vehicle from their yard. The car transporters will always hurry you to sign the document at the time of delivery but take your time to verify every single aspect of your car before you sign off. Am sure someone from the group who has sent their vehicle and HH goods specifically to Kolkata will respond to you about their experiences.
All the best,
Old 19th April 2015, 15:08   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster1311 View Post
Any BHPians with Mumbai to Delhi move? Would appreciate if you can share some good ones.

Also how many days in advance one should start roping in these guys to finally get packed loaded and moved.
Hey did you make that move from Mumbai to Gurgaon? Which packers did you go with? I am in the same boat and would like to go with someone recommended.
Old 20th April 2015, 14:25   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Hey did you make that move from Mumbai to Gurgaon? Which packers did you go with? I am in the same boat and would like to go with someone recommended.
Agarwal Packers and Movers. One whose advertisement says "A hai to quality hai. A hai to Bharosa hai"
Fabulous experience. Totally satisfied with the services. They offered me a dedicated container at 2000 extra. So I sealed it myself in Mumbai and unlocked at my home in Delhi. In case you want contact details of the sales guy, you can pm me.
Old 27th April 2015, 17:50   #221
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I'm moving my house from Nerul (Navi Mumbai) to Ghatkopa (Mumbai - Central Line) next month end ie 30-Apr-2015.

Any suggestions for a trusted and safe movers and packers company.

Please help

Cheers!
Old 4th May 2015, 16:33   #222
Senior - BHPian

So I'm moving again, within Delhi, and decided to call up the reputed Agarwal packers (of the DRS group). The response this time was as if I was dealing with a bunch of street hawkers.

I had to make several calls before they decided to give me the number of their South Delhi rep who would get the survey done. The survey was to be done at 11 am today and then I was given a new time of 2 pm and its 4:30pm as I write this but I'm yet to hear from them.

So I decided to call Writers and Santa Fe. Both of them have been a whole lot better in their response. While Writers has agreed for a home survey tomorrow, Santa Fe is yet to get back to me. Santa Fe's quote over the phone was 50% more than Agarwal's and while I'm ready to pay for quality I somewhere think its too small an order for them and they might not really call me back for a home survey.

Wanted to share this in case anyone has any inputs for me (w.r.t. Writers or Santa Fe); will update you all once I'm done shifting.
Old 15th May 2015, 18:14   #223
Senior - BHPian

Done with shifting, this week has been one of the most hectic in the last few years. You know how it is moving to a new house, especially when you have to get loads of plumbing, carpentary & electric work done, that too in a rented house!!

I finally opted for Leo packers & movers - http://www.leopackersandmovers.com. My experience with them was excellent except that they decided to move my stuff in 3 trips instead of one. Though they told me this earlier but I would've saved at least 2-3 hours if everything would've been moved in a Tata 407 or Canter in one go. They only had 22 feet trucks in their fleet which would've created issue in the crowded locality I was so they brought with them a Vikram 3-wheeler.

The packaging was top-notch and they didn't shy away from using any material liberally. They used PVC crates for crockery and foam blankets & bubble wraps for all furniture. Not a single item was damaged in any way except that the window AC fan motor shifted a little bit during transit which was rectified by the local AC guy.

I dealt with one Mr. Solanki who visited the house at a time of my convenience and was very reassuring of everything.

I was quoted 10,500/- by Agarwal DRS (excluding taxes), 18,000/- by Leo (including taxes) & 18,500/- by Santa Fe (excluding taxes if I would've asked for bill). The Santa Fe guy was also good but their communication wasn't as quick as Leo's so I finalized Leo 4-5 days before I shifted and Santa Fe took 4 days to finalize their quote.

Leo's team was excellent and never did I feel that they were rushing anything. My wife took her own sweet time to get her clothes/accessories and crockery packed and they were very patient. In fact I had stopped supervising them a lot of times and at times were observing them where they couldn't see me but they were very sincere throughout!

Though Leo cost me 60-70% more than other regular movers n packers but the quality of work, their team and service made it all well worth.

EDIT: I moved within Delhi, 5 kms from my old residence, just in case this helps with the price estimation bit.
Old 18th May 2015, 03:38   #224
BHPian

I was toying with the idea of moving my sparse furniture from Mumbai to Kolkata as an alternative to leaving it with my landlord for a year (he then gets to let out a furnished place). Of course the prime consideration is that the cost cannot exceed 30-40% of the furniture itself. I called the DRS Agarwal packers on Friday. The asked for a verbal description on the phone and cited a fee of Rs 55k which is way beyond my budget. They tried to justify this by saying it costs 45k just to rent the truck, etc.

I'm sure they will be pooling goods for inter city delivery. It would be a huge overkill to use a standard truck for my stuff.

I'm grateful for any suggestions or alternatives. I could sell the stuff but wont be in Mumbai after Wednesday so thats not an option.
Old 18th May 2015, 16:28   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
I called the DRS Agarwal packers on Friday. The asked for a verbal description on the phone and cited a fee of Rs 55k which is way beyond my budget.
DRS Agarwal is good and would probably be the cheapest out of the few good ones that are in the market. I'd suggest that you get them to do a home survey and then give you the final quotation. You would be able to work out the maths once you have their final quotation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks