Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 08:47   #91
BHPian

Re: Packers & Movers: Post all queries here

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
arre mere bhai - drive it down for god's sakes!!

Seriously, speak with hvkumar and gd1418. one's the encyclopedia, one just went uptill Jabalpur.

Why sweat it so much?

PS: Does the 14k include transit insurance? You don't need it - your car is anyways insured for transit damage.
PPS: Speak to some transporter for Hyundai or Ford (iirc). they should have empty trucks headed down to Chennai through that side.
Hitanshu Sir, I really don't want to take it by driving and my folks won't like the idea either.

Should I not get any insurance done for the car over and above my normal car insurance policy? I think the Agarwal price was with insurance and I will try asking them for a quote without any insurance.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:25   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Should I not get any insurance done for the car over and above my normal car insurance policy? I think the Agarwal price was with insurance and I will try asking them for a quote without any insurance.
Of course - read the fine print of your insurance - it covers transit damage.

If their quote included transit insurance - you should save a decent bit.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:16   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Can somebody please recommend a good packers & movers company for shifting my car from Gurgaon to Raipur (Chhattisgarh)? I have read most of the posts on the forum and even searched online but I could not pin point any company that looks decent and promising.

I did ask Agarwal Packers & Movers and they quoted around 14K for it which I feel is too expensive and on top of that they do not allow anything in the car at all. Not even old books or anything.

I urgently require a solution as I have to leave Gurgaon tomorrow itself. Thanks.
I used services of Skywing Packers/Movers when I moved from Delhi to Bangalore last year. They provide transport services to Maruti it seems, thats what I was told. They have a office near airport ( KapasHera I think ). My car arrived intact in about 2 weeks. You can talk to them. They have presence on internet (for contact details etc).
Old 17th June 2011, 09:40   #94
BHPian

Relocating - Bangalore to Goa... recommendations needed

I will be relocating to Panaji, Goa soon and am looking to move furniture and domestic appliances only.

Will be driving my car over.

Any recommendations for movers and packers who are affordable,careful and safe (costs will be have to be borne by me)??

Also since this is the first time I am relocating would appreciate any tips one can share in terms of price negotiations, insurance, etc ?
Old 17th June 2011, 11:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

Re: Relocating - Bangalore to Goa... recommendations needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
I will be relocating to Panaji, Goa soon and am looking to move furniture and domestic appliances only.

Will be driving my car over.

Any recommendations for movers and packers who are affordable,careful and safe (costs will be have to be borne by me)??

Also since this is the first time I am relocating would appreciate any tips one can share in terms of price negotiations, insurance, etc ?
One piece of advice from my side would be to look for a P/M who has offices in both the cities. This way if you run into any problems in Goa, then at least you wont have to run down to Bangalore for redressal!
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 23:08   #96
BHPian

Update: I recently got my car moved from Gurgaon to Raipur. I used Allied Movers & Packers (Welcome To allied Mover Packer Or alliedmovers.in |ackers & movers in gurgaon | Packers & movers in Faridabad |Packers & movers in delhi | Packers & movers in noida | Packers & movers in gurgaon) and the overall experience was decent. I got my car in like 10 days instead of the promised 5 but the guys told me it was due to the strike in Maruti Suzuki. I paid 13K (without any extra insurance) for the service and I was allowed to keep as much luggage as I wanted in the car provided it was nothing really valuable. The car came in the same condition that I had given it. Not even one extra scratch or anything. I had paid 10K advance and paid the remaining 3K later after the delivery. Earlier I was in no mood of paying the remaining 3K because of the delay but looking at the condition of the car, I just paid it.

Overall, it was a very good experience and I would recommend these guys to anybody who is looking for a similar service.
Old 20th June 2011, 10:22   #97
BHPian

Would like to know on an average what the costs would be for packing and moving furniture, appliances and luggage? The distance is around 650kms. Do movers and packers charge on the basis of weight or distance?
Old 4th December 2011, 14:52   #98
BHPian

Would anyone know which would be the cheapest and best movers to transport to Kannur, Kerala? Would appreciate if anyone has had any experience in moving to Kannur and the movers they had used. Got a quote from agarwal packers and they seem to be on higher side - approx of 30000, given that the distance is just 340 Kms.
If anyone has any pointers, please do help me out. Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 15:16   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Got a quote from agarwal packers and they seem to be on higher side - approx of 30000, given that the distance is just 340 Kms.
Thanks
Whether it's high or low depends on how much stuff you are moving, right?
Cost just doesn't depend on kms, it depends on how much stuff you have which will decide
- how much time will they spend packing & unpacking (for me it typically takes a day each end with 4-5 people or more).
- Does all your stuff fit in 1 small tempo, part load of 1 big truck, 1 full big truck etc.

Agarwal packers are usually reasonable - neither on the high side or on the low side. Going too low would mean a shoddy job where you end up with broken & missing stuff.

Last edited by carboy : 4th December 2011 at 15:17.
Old 28th December 2011, 19:20   #100
e46
BHPian

fellas,
need your advise. have to relocate to Calcutta from Bangalore. Please suggest few names (P&M) which are reliable and not with over the top pricing. am hovering around Leo and Agarwal, but heard some horror stories for latter.

Also it seems I cant afford Allied Lemuir and Writer. Is that so, considering my budget would be 35k or so.

to give you a rough idea, i have

1 double bed
dining table with 4 chairs
1 wardrobe (2 door)
1 dressing table
i lcd tv 22"
1 fridge 220lts
1 washing machine
1 tv stand small

few crockery sets

responses would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,
please respond.

Abhishek
Old 6th February 2012, 19:32   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
I finally ended up using Chirag Packers. Excellent service - on time.. very courteous and professional guys. The truck was clean. The packing was good. All in all a good experience. They charged 2.3 K for the whole move from ulsoor to koramanagala.

Had almost finalized on Compack Packers based out of Indiranagar but just a day before the move the guy was unreachable and I finally struck a deal with Chirag last evening.
Can you give the contact details or the website of Chirag. There are many of them and hence is confusing to contact.
Old 6th February 2012, 20:14   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Can you give the contact details or the website of Chirag. There are many of them and hence is confusing to contact.
This is from 2010 so things might have changed. 9611139015
Old 23rd March 2012, 01:12   #103
rkw
BHPian

To send the car to my sister in Wellington (near Ooty) from Navi Mumbai, used the services of Agarwal Packers & Movers (DRS group). Charged Rs.11000/- + Rs.430/-(transit insurance). I was told that the car would be driven from my home to loading point 15km away and then from unloading point (Coimbatore) to delivery point (80km). But the terms of carriage was grossly violated and the car was driven for around 1500 km!! i.e the entire distance!!! Immediately brought to the notice of Agarwal's branch in Navi Mumbai. They had no tracking details or any transit records. They simply rely on contractors and were initially hesistant to accept the fault. But relented after showing the initial and final odo readings.
It was obvious that the amount charged from me does not hold and therefore I insisted on a refund. I couldn't stop worrying about the rough and careless usage that the car must have been subject to.Luckily there is no damage to car and so I agreed for a refund of Rs.6000/- (after considering the money they spent on diesel).

In future, will never resort to packers for transporting car. It is always better to drive yourself than let someone else drive it at your expense.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:01   #104
BHPian

Agarwal Packers & Movers - hit or miss

Recently I relocated from Chennai to Bangalore. After getting quotes from various packers and movers, I finally decided to settle with Agarwal. Overall I found that they are 'kind of' reliable compared to the P&M's I got quote.

One problem some people may face is - Language. Almost all P&Ms speak only hindi and for me, who knows just a few Hindi words, it was very tough communicating with them. No local language nor English.

On the day of shifting, they came on time with all the corrugated boxes, corrugated paper rolls, bubble sheets and Thermo sheets. There were 5 guys. The packing started quickly and completed around 3:00 pm noon. I was satisfied with the packing. The problem started when their local office called up and informed that all their "Covered" trucks are out for packing, and for me they will send one of their "Uncovered" trucks. I was furious and yelled at the guy and soon they sent a "Covered" contract truck. The packing guys were adamant on tips. Each asked for Rs.150!!

While the goods reached on-time in bangalore, the unpacking was totally pathetic. They sent only 2 contract labors to unload and unpack. My house is on the third floor. The lift cannot be used to transport goods (weak). All these made me walk on the knife's edge all the day. Again language was a problem - their local office finally accepted that all their man power has gone out - as they have nearly 9 unloadings on that day in Bangalore. Finally I had to shout in the phone to send their carpenter to fix my cot and table. Otherwise, I would have to wait for 2 days for the carpenter to arrive.

I read good reviews about Writer Relocations, unfortunately the Writer guy could not reach me on time. Only on the day of shifting, he called up and apologized for late follow-up. But no use.

Finally I would say - Agarwal Packers & Movers are on the costly side. The service quality is a HIT or MISS. Depends on your luck. I paid nearly 19K for the whole thing (My office paid it later). While the other packers and movers quoted around 12k to 15k. Unable to get Writer's quote though.

Packing Quality - 4/5
Punctuality - 3.5/5
Unpacking Quality - 3.5/5
Professionalism - 2.5/5
Economical - NO
Overall - 2.5/5

PS : Generally do not pay any tips to the unpackers. They actually make a whole lot of money with the corrugated boxes and sheets left over after unpacking. If you do not speak hindi, have someone who can speak Hindi in your side.
Old 5th April 2012, 18:00   #105
Team-BHP Support

I just had a good and bad experience with my packers and movers.

Leo movers chandigarh | leo packers and movers hyderabad

While I have absolutely NO complaints with the quality of service its the sheer dishonesty of the transaction, that gets to me.

I called them up. Quite clearly asked the cost of shifting my home. I was quoted exactly 6,500 rupees.

I accept after making sure its the final price for shifting.

After shifting is complete, they drop a bombshell that there is an additional 12.35% service tax on the amount.

I ask for a bill. Its only after I ask for it over a phone call to the head office that it gets prepared and emailed to me.

IMHO:
The game plan is very simple. They charge you for the service tax at the end. So you are forced to accede to higher charges. A lot of people may not even ask for the bill. In such cases they get to keep your hardearned money without paying tax on it.

This is one of the worst shifting experiences ever.
Not because of quality of service but the rather sly and dirty way they use to con you.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed