Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2019, 20:21   #346
BHPian

Re: Packers & Movers: Post all queries here

I am looking to move my Interceptor 650 and TVS N Torq from Manali to Goa in August. Gati is economical but I have read negative reviews. For the bike i am looking to ship via VRL cage from Chandigarh. Any ideas or pointers?

Last edited by dhruv45in : 19th July 2019 at 20:22. Reason: Typo
Old 20th July 2019, 10:12   #347
BANNED

The Agarwal brand seems to be proliferating. Which is the original brand. I thought it was having the .org suffix. Others (clones) were .com, .in etc. What is it now?
Old 22nd July 2019, 00:15   #348
rkw
BHPian

Agarwal Packers and Movers Ltd. (APML) (http://www.agarwalpackers.com/) seems to be the genuine one. I have used their service a year ago for car shifting & found to be professional & good.
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:05   #349
BHPian

Agarwal Packers and Movers Ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Agarwal Packers and Movers Ltd. (APML) (http://www.agarwalpackers.com/) seems to be the genuine one. I have used their service a year ago for car shifting & found to be professional & good.

I've experienced local (same town) moving twice in the past 2.5 years with APML. Both times my experience was far from satisfactory. The first time they managed to damage stuff due to poor/lack of packing even after repeated instructions on my part. Moving is such a stressful experience that at the end of the day I just decided to write off the damages (nothing really major, thankfully), signed off dozens of forms (and thus releasing them from any liability), basically I wanted to get it over with!

The only reason I'd even gone with them for the second time was the perceived relative ease of going with a known evil under time pressure, rather than try picking a small-time company and hope for a better experience!

This time APML had hiked the cost by > 40% (after just 2.5 years) for basically the same move! I had to accept it under time pressure. Then the day before the actual moving day agreed upon beforehand, APML tried to shift the moving date! I, of course, refused.

On the moving day only 3 people (last time there were 5) finally turned up 2 hours too late, -- that too only after repeated calls to the management (some of whom were very rude)! Later I was told by the moving staff that APML routinely overbook and send too few people for the move! Understandably, it's far too stressful for the shorthanded (and underpaid) moving staff (not to talk of the resultant quality of their work)! There is a high rate of attrition as a result. A "professional" company indeed!

The day ended very late, as expected, and I was only too happy to sign off the dozens of forms in spite of noticing some damages this time as well, which I decided to write off again), tip the poor staff, and end the horrible experience, resolving never to go with APML ever again!

Last edited by meerkat : 22nd July 2019 at 13:10.
Old 5th August 2019, 18:03   #350

Quote:
I have availed services of Agarwal packers and movers ( The original one is displaying Ramesh Agarwal's photo) several times in the past to transport my car as well as household items. While I would recommend them for moving household items and choose again as my preferred packers and movers, self driving is my first preference for car transportation. Long time ago, they have delivered my Chevy Spark covered in mud and soiled seats (Guwahati to Ahmedabad). Recently they delivered my Skoda Octavia with minor scratch marks (Palakkad to Roorkee). This time I am planning to drive my Octy from Roorkee to Mumbai.
Old 18th August 2019, 11:22   #351
BHPian

Re: Shipping an used mobile device between cities?

I need to ship an used mobile device(with SIM) from Mumbai to Vijayawada.

Is it safer to send it through courier companies? Please advise!

Old 18th August 2019, 19:51   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post

Looking forward to few more phone calls to finalise as I am sure speed parcel is possible based on your own experience and website.
Did you try this?
I am in a similar situation and wondering if anyone else had success with the post office.

(Along with international one above) I am also looking for recommendations for domestic transportation - from Pune to Mumbai. I put my number in Sulekha and started getting calls from all sorts of 'cargo companies'.
Old 18th August 2019, 20:34   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
FedEx and DHL could be more reliable than DTDC/Blue Dart/Professional/etc.

However, best would be if there is a friend or a friend of a friend going there, you could send it through them and the people at the other end and coordinate to collect it!

A good reliable social network solves many problems!
Old 19th August 2019, 08:53   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
A good reliable social network solves many problems!
There is none traveling to the destination from the origin, right at this time.

Somehow have to send this mobile device to a place in Vijayawada, this week.

Can we camouflage the device inside a sweet box and send it across? Does these courier agencies scan each and every package for the contents?

Please advise!
Old 19th August 2019, 09:23   #355
BANNED

Quote:
I need to ship an used mobile device(with SIM) from Mumbai to Vijayawada.
My local DTDC person checks the mobile phone & then accepts the parcel. I have couriered cellphones from Bombay to Pune a few times.
Old 19th August 2019, 19:00   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Can we camouflage the device inside a sweet box and send it across? Does these courier agencies scan each and every package for the contents?
I am not sure how scrupulous they are in their scanning, but there have been quite a few stories of things getting "misplaced" while in their care.

Seems to me you have no other option but to use one of the couriers. My preference would be as follows (most reliable to least, in my experience and analysis) -

FedEx; DHL; Blue Dart; DTDC

If possible you can dispatch it from your office location where most of them come for pickup and drop offs.
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:18   #357
BHPian

Quote:
I have had a harrowing experience with them while transporting my scooter. First off, they stole the helmet that I put in the storage bin. Secondly, they drove the scooter for 60 km from my place in Blore to Yeshwantpur and then from Thane to my father in Andheri. What is the point of having a truck? And how can I trust a random rider with my vehicle?
Regarding the helmet issue, the Mumbai office outright denied the helmet being present. So I contacted the Blore office. They first said, there's no helmet, but later on agreed that it got left behind. When I asked them to return the helmet to me, they started acting weird. They asked me to come down to Yeshwantpur for a 1000 rupees helmet and spend 1500 doing so. I told them to send it to me next time they have a pickup or drop in my area. They didn't, though I saw their truck in my building itself after the fact.
Lastly they said, they'll send me 500 rupees for the helmet, which is just outrageous; half the cost for a mistake from their end. Which by the way, I still didn't get.
I just accepted the fact that I'm not going to get it back.

The question is not about the helmet (I got a new one), but it about the principles. They are willing to take the customer for a ride rather than owning up and saying one of their employees kept the helmet for themselves (this I'm sure of).

Also below is a reason I don't trust Packers and movers with vehicular cargo (this one is not Agarwal). Happened to a friend's family:
Packers & Movers: Post all queries here-img20190822wa0005.jpg

Packers & Movers: Post all queries here-img20190822wa0006.jpg
Old 25th August 2019, 22:15   #358
rkw
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I have had a harrowing experience with them while transporting my scooter. First off, they stole the helmet that I put in the storage bin. Secondly, they drove the scooter for 60 km from my place in Blore to Yeshwantpur and then from Thane to my father in Andheri. What is the point of having a truck? And how can I trust a random rider with my vehicle?
Regarding the helmet issue, the Mumbai office outright denied the helmet being present. So I contacted the Blore office. They first said, there's no helmet, but later on agreed that it got left behind. When I asked them to return the helmet to me, they started acting weird. They asked me to come down to Yeshwantpur for a 1000 rupees helmet and spend 1500 doing so. I told them to send it to me next time they have a pickup or drop in my area. They didn't, though I saw their truck in my building itself after the fact.
Lastly they said, they'll send me 500 rupees for the helmet, which is just outrageous; half the cost for a mistake from their end. Which by the way, I still didn't get.
I just accepted the fact that I'm not going to get it back.

The question is not about the helmet (I got a new one), but it about the principles. They are willing to take the customer for a ride rather than owning up and saying one of their employees kept the helmet for themselves (this I'm sure of).

Also below is a reason I don't trust Packers and movers with vehicular cargo (this one is not Agarwal). Happened to a friend's family:
Attachment 1908356

Attachment 1908357
Sorry to hear that. I guess, the P&M sector is still far from being credible. It seems they are on the lookout for a chance to take customers for a ride. But, you are still fortunate that the scooter was driven only during loading & unloading within city limits. I had a very bad experience about 8 years back when I had to send my car from Mumbai to Ooty. It was Agarwal DRS group. To my shock, the car was driven for about 1400 km which is the distance from Mumbai to Ooty! It seems they had outsourced the transport to vehicle carriers. They had to accept their fault when I confronted them with the odo readings. After lot of follow-up & threatening to escalate the matter, they refunded the amount. But I was still upset & felt cheated. Never even thought of using their services again!
Old 26th August 2019, 21:01   #359
Senior - BHPian

While moving house from Coimbatore to Palakkad, used the service of a local family based business, Madhan Packers and Movers (http://madhanpackersandmovers.com/).

Price was well within what others had quoted.

The best part was they came well prepared and with enough packing materials. Had a heavy fridge and washing machine, along with recliners - all of which I was worried it would get scratched or torn. Absolutely zero damage to all my materials.

They loaded and unloaded as well, at Palakkad. In fact, they delayed start from CBE so that they reach only after 10pm, so that we do not get bothered by the local labor guys asking for free cash.

Absolutely happy with their service and will definitely recommend them. It is a family run business, so you will most probably get either the owner or one of his family members in charge.
Old 11th October 2019, 12:11   #360
BHPian

I plan to ship my CR-V from Bangalore to Mumbai.

I've received a quote of 19k from Agarwal, but there is room for negotiation. The local movers have quoted in the range of ~13k.

All of them claim to use car carriers. Does it make sense to pay the 50% premium to Agarwal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks