Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2016, 23:14   #3511
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Adding to the benne dose place list, there is one place near banashankari which I used to go when I was in college. And even now whenever possible we (our college gang) do meet up there.

The taste is very good here actually equal if not better than the one at NR colony. The place name is Sri Raghavendra Davanagere Benne dose hotel located on Kanakapura road near Sarakki gate. The cooking is done on wood burn stoves and there is place to sit and eat at the first floor. Place is a typical hole in the wall kind of eatery and nothing fancy.

Google Maps link : https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...24!4d77.573181

P.S: Hope we are not boring the other food enthusiasts here with our benne dose infatuation!

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 10th June 2016 at 23:19.
Old 11th June 2016, 00:02   #3512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

The taste is very good here actually equal if not better than the one at NR colony. The place name is Sri Raghavendra Davanagere Benne dose hotel located on Kanakapura road near Sarakki gate. The cooking is done on wood burn stoves and there is place to sit and eat at the first floor. Place is a typical hole in the wall kind of eatery and nothing fancy.
Oh man.. I ate my first ever benne dosa here. First floor wasn't there when I went there. It was close to 10 years back I think. Fantastic experience.

Adding to benne dosa list, there is one after uma theatre signal, just before old Karnataka bhel house but on left side. They also prepare in "soudhe vole".
Old 11th June 2016, 13:05   #3513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Oh man.. I ate my first ever benne dosa here. First floor wasn't there when I went there. It was close to 10 years back I think. Fantastic experience.
Hi Akhil, are you sure you are referring to the same place? Because I have been visiting that place since 2003 and the sit out on first floor was there even back then.
Old 11th June 2016, 18:56   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Akhil, are you sure you are referring to the same place? Because I have been visiting that place since 2003 and the sit out on first floor was there even back then.
I think so. From bsk, going towards sarakki signal, it's on left side just before sarakki signal. It was darshini type with just few tables to stand and eat.
Old 11th June 2016, 19:35   #3515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Sri Guru Kottreshwara Davangere Benne Masale Dose
Thanks for that. Can we plan a mini TBHP meet here next week for breakfast
Quote:
South thindies : Located close to Krishnarao park in basavanagudi, this is again a typical darshini type of hotel. Akki rotti, mangalore buns and masala dose.
even their uppit & coffee are worth a mention

Quote:
Adding to the benne dose place list
Suchi Ruchi in malleswaram is also a decent option if you are craving for benne dosa and want to skip the mad rush at CTR. Its located next to the Asha food camp - 10th Cross malleswaram.

A few other old bangalore establishments that I frequent

1. Sri Krishna Bhavan - opposite Mantri Mall. Love their neer dose

2. Puliyogare point - behind bugle rock, basavanagudi. Their puliyogare comes very close to the iyengar style puliyogare and is a family favourite. Also try the sweet pongal which smells of lots & lots of ghee

3. Chappati mane - my go to place when we are lazy to cook at home but dont want to dine out. They have a wide array of south indian dishes on any given day for breakfast, lunch & dinner. My favourite is neer dose, jelabi, shavige bath and puliyogare. I frequent the one located near 8th cross in malleswaram but they have branches located in south bangalore as well. I think they are owned by SLV group.

4. Ballal Residency - located at the intersection of brigade & residency road, this place has been the veg - north indian food - weekend go to place for almost 20 years in my family. In general their dishes are quiet tasty and cost in on par. They have parking space but it does get crowded during the weekend hence plan in advance.

5. Chineese street food - Dont remember the name of this place but this is basically a street cart serving yummy chineese food right next to MES main college. I have been feasting on his gobi manchurian for 15 year but would really recommend the panner manchurian as the panner is just melt in your mouth soft

6. Hari super sandwich - bangalore's answer to the bombay style street sandwich. Multiple veg options but my favourite is the chocolate sandwich. Try it before you comment! I frequent the outlet next to Jain college VV puram but they also have an outlet in Jaynagar 3rd Block

Last edited by procrj : 11th June 2016 at 19:41.
Old 11th June 2016, 23:34   #3516
BHPian

Some listings from my side -

Karnataka food (I definitely miss the number of options that I used to get while living in Mysore) -

- Vidyarthi Bhavan (Basavanagudi) -> Dosas and Idlis here are just OK. From what I hear, it used to serve great dosas. They are loaded with ghee

- Brahmin's coffee bar (VV Puram) -> Superb idlis. Only chutney no sambar

- CTR (Malleshwaram) -> Decent dosas. Nothing much to talk about.

- Kamat Yatrinivas (Hoodi) -> Very good North Karnataka joLada roTTi meal.

Kerala food

- Cheenavala (Whitefield, near Forum value mall) -> Really like the food here. Decently priced as well. The fish is really well done.

- Salt Mango Tree (Prestige Ozone, whitefield) -> Food is good here as well but I found Cheenavala to be better. Liked the fish polichatu.

North Indian food

- Sultans of spice (Koramangala) -> I find this to be the best north indian food hotel in Bangalore

- Samarkand (Infantry road) -> Another hot favourite in Bangalore. It is a tradition amongst the IT folks to bring their American counterparts here.

- Kapoor's cafe (Kundanahalli) -> The worst food ever. I don't know how this place has over 4 stars on Zomato. They add so much colour to their food. Avoid it.

Last edited by ampere : 14th June 2016 at 18:53. Reason: Removed alcohol related pointers
Old 12th June 2016, 19:33   #3517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
  • Malabar Bay- Lane next to Christ College. Love this place. Typical Kerala Style menu, but most things I have tried have a sort of a home cooked feel to it. Some unique dishes like ghee rice and chicken wrapped and steamed in a leaf (Pothichor), Kappa dishes (Tapioca), several chicken and fish dishes typically not seen in Kerala hotels. The veg meals is also excellent. Price and ambiance are reasonable. Small parking that can fit ~10 cars.
Went to Malabar Bay today. Absolutely loved it, the ambiance, the food, everything! We tried the podhichor, 2 veg meals, Allepey fish curry, prawns roast, podimeen fry and Malabar falooda. Veg meals are well worth the price at around Rs. 100, I am seeing avial after a long time in meals. Simply fantastic! First impressions on reaching the place was that the floor space is quite spacious unlike most other Kerala joints. It was busy and full and quite raucous as can be expected. Parking is a problem and we had to park on the street, I have no idea how busy the area gets on weekdays. I can easily see myself returning to Malabar Bay over and over again.
Old 12th June 2016, 22:13   #3518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Went to Malabar Bay today. Absolutely loved it, the ambiance, the food, everything!.
Glad you liked it. I have already been there 4-5 times and still have not reached the falooda yet. . Definitely a place worth repeating a lot of times. As you mentioned, prices are very reasonable.
Old 13th June 2016, 22:04   #3519
BHPian

Tries a few joints around HSR recently.
I read about Frozen bites in T-BHP on a car review thread. Decided to try this. This is all about hand made ice creams. Ice Cream is made right in front of you using the ingredients placed at the counter. You can select the falavour(s) or go for the sundaes. We tried the caramel based one (Snickers) and the fruit based ones. The fruit based ones were the ones we loved, especially Jango - jackfruit, mango and dates if I remember it right. The ice cream is really smooth and you can be sure about what goes in the ice cream as all that goes in is mixed in front of you. They use liquid nitrogen to freeze this. I also got a chance to speak to the owner once. As per him, use of cryo tech + fresh ingredients for ice creams is used for the first time in the world. Price for double scoop is 180 plus tax and I feel its worth the experience and money. This is on the road that has sweet chariot / the old MK ahmed super market etc.

Tried Once Upon A Flame. Place is good for steaks and continental stuff. Ambiance and service are nice. Taste is maybe just a notch below The Only Place.

And there is a new Donear Kabab place which goes by the name of Otantik Doner Kebabz. Free wifi . Tried the mutton kapsalon, avg experience. The service took its own sweet time at about 30 minutes. Another reason why I may not be awwed by this place could because of the experience of Donear Kebaps at Belgium, for 3 Euros, they stuff the bread with meat and yummy sauce which leaves you grinning and a full tummy.
Old 13th June 2016, 22:40   #3520
BHPian

There is a new restaurant called , Crunkz which is at the intersection of 24th Main and 22nd Cross Road in HSR Layout. It has been open for the last few months . They have some Kerala fare as well in their menu. I have been there couple of times and have tried their Chicken Kizhi Biriyani, Ammachi Kozhi Masala, Appam etc. The taste was good and so was the ambiance. Their rates are affordable as well.

-- Wind
Old 13th June 2016, 22:57   #3521
BHPian

BTW - the Kerala snack place behind Ayyappa temple, Madival - seems like its closed now. The place where you get Pazham poris, parippu-vadas etc. I went there 2 weeks back to find the shutter down. The place used to be great about 5 years back when I visitem them first. And rates used to be reasonable too, at about Rs 3 a piece. Offlate, the prices had gone up considerably but still, I guess he was doing good business. Wonder if its shut or relocated? I now get the snack fix from the place behind Balaji medicals at Madivala
Old 14th June 2016, 00:05   #3522
Team-BHP Support

Any first-timer to Vidyarthi Bhavan will be disappointed today.

Portion sizes are ridiculously small, dosas not a patch on their own glorious past, barely any mash potato masala inside and no sambar to go with it. Half of their menu wasn't available on a recent lunchtime visit, but that's probably down to them doing specific stuff for specific meals. Still, given how small their menu is, they should probably serve more items throughout the day.

The only decent thing was coffee, but I'd take my grandma's drip recipe over it anyday.

Nothing against the place, but it's definitely not on my must-eat-there list when I have out-of-town visitors next.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th June 2016 at 00:07.
Old 14th June 2016, 10:19   #3523
Senior - BHPian

Mainland China serves non-vegetarian dish to vegetarians !

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...875.ece?w=city
Old 14th June 2016, 10:23   #3524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Any first-timer to Vidyarthi Bhavan will be disappointed today.

Portion sizes are ridiculously small, dosas not a patch on their own glorious past, barely any mash potato masala inside and no sambar to go with it. Half of their menu wasn't available on a recent lunchtime visit, but that's probably down to them doing specific stuff for specific meals. Still, given how small their menu is, they should probably serve more items throughout the day.

The only decent thing was coffee, but I'd take my grandma's drip recipe over it anyday.

Nothing against the place, but it's definitely not on my must-eat-there list when I have out-of-town visitors next.

It is not worth anymore. In addition the dosas are ridiculously priced for the size they serve. They are just cashing on the name they have made in the past. And with customers waiting outside their entrance from the time they are open till they close, i don't think they are going to change anyway!
Old 14th June 2016, 15:30   #3525
BHPian

Since the topic of Davangere benne dose is not closed, I would like to list one more place in Basaveshwaranagar where it is still pretty close to the original. Original or not, the place is soo crowded that the owner has started using serial numbers for the coupons/tokens purchased to avoid conflict.

Google maps link:
https://goo.gl/maps/xFtmfwN4qM62

Typical stand and eat place, no coffee/tea. Beware if you are going on a late sunday morning - waiting can be upto 30 mins to get hold of your order

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks