Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2015, 18:14   #3406
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
I saw this in facebook. Any comments?
Yes, that is how it should be. But no one follows it. Also, there is a Service Charge charged to the customer in most places. Why?
Old 17th July 2015, 18:17   #3407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks,

I need to suggest a place for getting good Haleem. I am not sure as I am vegetarian. Any suggestions? How are the stalls near the mosque at Jayadeva?
GATI had a tie up with the Pista house, Hyderabad for distribution of Haleem in India. You can book it on the GATI website and get the delivery the next day and fresh. Minimum order was for a kg for around 600 buks. Check out the GATI webpage if they still deliver this season.
Old 17th August 2015, 12:35   #3408
BHPian

I'll be in Bangalore soon and would love to visit Vidyarthi Bhavan. Haven't been there in years! How is it doing these days? Still crowded I'm guessing .

Also anyone been to Haagen Dazs in Indranagar? I've heard the ice-creams are out-of-this-world delicious.
Old 17th August 2015, 12:42   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
I'll be in Bangalore soon and would love to visit Vidyarthi Bhavan. Haven't been there in years! How is it doing these days? Still crowded I'm guessing .
Yes , still crowded and the same taste. If you are free , go on a weekday morning when it is relatively free and less crowded. Mouth watering already
Old 17th August 2015, 13:00   #3410
BHPian

Quote:

Also anyone been to Haagen Dazs in Indranagar? I've heard the ice-creams are out-of-this-world delicious.
Try Natural Ice-cream next door instead of Haagen Dazs, (leave something to try when in the US, but then there are so many other choices!).
Old 17th August 2015, 13:30   #3411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Yes , still crowded and the same taste. If you are free , go on a weekday morning when it is relatively free and less crowded. Mouth watering already
Ah! Good to hear the taste is still the same! Will definitely go on a weekday morning (I'm free everyday as I'm on a holiday )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Try Natural Ice-cream next door instead of Haagen Dazs, (leave something to try when in the US, but then there are so many other choices!).
Good to know. Will try that as well.

Would love to meet some fellow BHPians in Bangalore, I'll post in the meet-up section once I am in Bangalore!
Old 17th August 2015, 14:49   #3412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Ah! Good to hear the taste is still the same! Will definitely go on a weekday morning (I'm free everyday as I'm on a holiday )
I am no big food critic, but beg to differ on the taste part. Taste has gone down but it is still better than the roti ghar's and such! If you are planning on Masala Dosa only then CTR (or Shri sagar as it is called now) in Malleshwaram is better! If you are aware of the place you can give it a try.
Old 17th August 2015, 15:18   #3413
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Place is still ok but I dare say it's not as good as it used to be, our last visit wasn't good on the stomachs I did not like the Sagu Dosa too.

If you're in that area try Brahmins Coffee Bar (still great with just 4 items on the menu Idly, Vada, Kahara baath and kesari baath plus coffee).
Do try New Modern Hotel for the dosas - excellent!

I've heard Mahalakshmi Tiffin Room on DVG Road (road opposite Vidyarthi Bhavan) is also good, yet to try this.

Last edited by NPV : 17th August 2015 at 15:20.
Old 17th August 2015, 17:23   #3414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I am no big food critic, but beg to differ on the taste part. Taste has gone down but it is still better than the roti ghar's and such! If you are planning on Masala Dosa only then CTR (or Shri sagar as it is called now) in Malleshwaram is better! If you are aware of the place you can give it a try.
CTR is good too. It is not fair to compare roti ghar with Vidyarthi Bhavan.
Taste might have gone down , but it is still different from the otjher hotels. Blame the excess use of fertilizers and pesticides for the detriorating taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Place is still ok but I dare say it's not as good as it used to be, our last visit wasn't good on the stomachs I did not like the Sagu Dosa too.

If you're in that area try Brahmins Coffee Bar (still great with just 4 items on the menu Idly, Vada, Kahara baath and kesari baath plus coffee).
Do try New Modern Hotel for the dosas - excellent!

I've heard Mahalakshmi Tiffin Room on DVG Road (road opposite Vidyarthi Bhavan) is also good, yet to try this.
Vidyarthi Bhavan dose requires a bit of getting used to. One must be able to handle all that excess oil (or whatever they pour over it)
Brahmins coffee bar is in Chamrajpet, yeah awesome idly and crisp vada. NMH is in between Sajjan Rao circle and Minerva Circle right ?
Old 17th August 2015, 23:01   #3415
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brahmins coffee bar is in Chamrajpet, yeah awesome idly and crisp vada. NMH is in between Sajjan Rao circle and Minerva Circle right ?
Brahmins coffee bar is on Ranga Rao road, Shankarpuram, Chamarajpet also is nearby and so is Basavangudi
and yes spot on with location of NMH. We usually visit on the way back from Brahmins, have Masala Dosa there and return via JC Road.
Old 18th August 2015, 03:21   #3416
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Brahmins' Coffee Bar looks like a great place to eat some nice Idli and Vada! It seems to have very good reviews on tripadvisor.

Quote:
Vidyarthi Bhavan dose requires a bit of getting used to. One must be able to handle all that excess oil (or whatever they pour over it)
I thought they used butter on the dosa? Last time I was at VB (in 2008) they used to bring the dosas out with the butter still visible on top.
Old 18th August 2015, 09:13   #3417
BHPian

People who love authentic Italian cuisine can visit Pasta Street on Cunningham Road. Been there last week & it was an absolute treat
Old 18th August 2015, 12:49   #3418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Brahmins coffee bar is on Ranga Rao road, Shankarpuram
Google Maps say's "Closed" for Brahmins Coffee Bar Near Shankar Mutt. I've never seen this kind of comment on Google Maps before. Has the place closed down? It's 12:45 pm now; are they open only for breakfast and at tea time?
Old 18th August 2015, 15:46   #3419
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Google Maps say's "Closed" for Brahmins Coffee Bar Near Shankar Mutt. I've never seen this kind of comment on Google Maps before. Has the place closed down? It's 12:45 pm now; are they open only for breakfast and at tea time?
Possibly that's the reason, I guess they open in the morning and then again in the evening, the items on their menu are more suited for these times
Old 18th August 2015, 18:12   #3420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
The place is open for between 6:30 AM to 11:30 AM and again evening from 3:30 PM till 6 PM I guess. Probably thats why you see it as closed on google maps.

Most Viewed