Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 15:07   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I'd recently visited Kolkata and sampled the food that it has to offer. I was simply blown away. Sure, some places don't make it hygienically but you only live once so..

The Momos I had in Kolkata costed me 15 bucks a plate and they are, to date, the best Momos I've ever had. Even better than the plate of Momos they serve in Mainland China. Which by the way costs 20 times over 15 bucks!
Its a known and accepted fact that Kolkata serves the best Chinese food in India.Its always fingerlicking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Momos and dimsums are same btw.
You ofcourse being from the east of India would know better,but I beg to differ as Momos and Dimsums are not same.Momos are Tibetan while Dimsums are the Chinese version of Momos.

To know more on how different they are,check this link http://www.timescrest.com/life/my-na...a-dim-sum-7623

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 5th July 2012 at 15:13.
Old 5th July 2012, 15:35   #2297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Lets all meet up during Durga Puja in Palace grounds. ...
One has to be really desperate to go to those stalls at that time. Most of arrogant stall fellas think customers are dumb and will wait for as long (and pay just anything they ask) as it takes their inefficient process / workforce to produce anything, with the result that crowds are just milling about waiting to be fed. And they are never ready with anything till 10PM! The most pleasant experience would be at a stall run by a bunch of MBA students who know what they are doing to make the customer experience better (under tight circumstances) - even if their stuff is nothing great.

Quote:
... Momos and dimsums are same btw. ...
Oh no, they aren't. That would be saying sushi and sashimi are the same, or mille feuille is the same as any pastry! The covering and fillings are completely different. Momo fillings have robust flavors and coarse texture, and the covering is thicker. Dimsum / Suimai / Wonton dumplings (should) have thinner coverings and delicate, finely ground fillings. Since the dimsum covering is thinner, the number of folds at the join are more than twice that in momos. In really good Chinese restaurants they even serve dimsums with a thin liquid inside - now that's a different experience.

A bit pricey, but you should try dimsums in Shiro, UB City. They usually have all-you-can eat Sushi / Dimsum offers during the monsoons - well worth a hogging session at ~800 pp.
Old 5th July 2012, 15:52   #2298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Oh no, they aren't. That would be saying sushi and sashimi are the same, or mille feuille is the same as any pastry! The covering and fillings are completely different. Momo fillings have robust flavors and coarse texture, and the covering is thicker. Dimsum / Suimai / Wonton dumplings (should) have thinner coverings and delicate, finely ground fillings. Since the dimsum covering is thinner, the number of folds at the join are more than twice that in momos. In really good Chinese restaurants they even serve dimsums with a thin liquid inside - now that's a different experience.

A bit pricey, but you should try dimsums in Shiro, UB City. They usually have all-you-can eat Sushi / Dimsum offers during the monsoons - well worth a hogging session at ~800 pp.
Excellent!

I always knew that they were different in some way but never got such a brilliant answer! Thanks DA

The Shiro Dimsums are the best I've had in Bangalore. I nearly overdosed on that the last time! Burrp!

But I'm just a student. And for the 'student-experience', food in Cal is probably the best! *winks*
Old 5th July 2012, 16:05   #2299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... The Shiro Dimsums are the best I've had in Bangalore. I nearly overdosed on that the last time! Burrp! ...
I do that once every year with a friend of mine. Overdose, you bet (usually do Sat lunch, so that I have time to recover on Sunday if something goes wrong)! I usually need a strrrrrong double espresso at Cafe Noir in the courtyard before I find myself in a state to drive.
Old 5th July 2012, 16:46   #2300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307

Excellent!

But I'm just a student. And for the 'student-experience', food in Cal is probably the best! *winks*
Quote:
I'd recently visited Kolkata and sampled the food that it has to offer. I was simply blown away. Sure, some places don't make it hygienically but you only live once so..

The Momos I had in Kolkata costed me 15 bucks a plate and they are, to date, the best Momos I've ever had. Even better than the plate of Momos they serve in Mainland China. Which by the way costs 20 times over 15 bucks!
Have you visited esplanade? Street foodies delight. I think unless the food is being cooked in a very dirty place you neednt be much worried. One of my favorite sweets the joynagarer moa has its origins right next to my locality.
If you love sweets and if you love junk food nothing beats Kolkata for the price or for the quality. Which is why i end up carrying few kilos of sweets everytime i am in Kolkata. Guilt free indulgence.
But never and i mean NEVER buy anything from the airport. They charge you 10 20 times more for the same food that outside youd get it much cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1

Its a known and accepted fact that Kolkata serves the best Chinese food in India.Its always fingerlicking good.

You ofcourse being from the east of India would know better,but I beg to differ as Momos and Dimsums are not same.
Yes but i do love both of them. Have to try DA sirs liquid dimsums. Sounds tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte
One has to be really desperate to go to those stalls at that time. Most of arrogant stall fellas think customers are dumb and will wait for as long (and pay just anything they ask) as it takes their inefficient process / workforce to produce anything, with the result that crowds are just milling about waiting to be fed. And they are never ready with anything till 10PM! .

About the stalls yes there are some like that but my last year experience was pretty good. There is a mother son duo that serve the normal bengali fare. They have a great rush but mmm hmmm its worth the wait. Atleast for the rolls and moghlais. The biryani comes from the guy we had discussed earlier in the thread if you remember the one who hails from HAL market.

The year before that was also good the one that was held at ulsoor lake. But the rush was too much. I hate how people crowd around the stalls and ive seen some of the worst behaviour any bengali can do when standing at the stall. i usually take the list of orders from my folks and go to the stall alone to get them.
The rush these days is too much so much so that Ive learnt to just park the car in the morning and take it out after 10pm when the rush decreases and streets almost empty.

Regarding shiro ive never been there. Is it teetotaller friendly? And is the offer available for this week or next? And Cafe Noir mmm hmmm. Even twisty tangles. Usually visit that during my parents anniversary. Everytime ive loved the food there.

Regarding the dimsums and momos. You are probably right sir. But irrespective of their difference both taste great to me.
Old 6th July 2012, 10:53   #2301
BHPian

Quote:
One is the HAL market on old airport road
Can you tell whats the best time to visit the HAL fish market? I am planning to go there tomorrow or Sunday. Also bargaining works or fixed priced shops . Thanks in advance.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:01   #2302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have you visited esplanade? Street foodies delight. I think unless the food is being cooked in a very dirty place you neednt be much worried. One of my favorite sweets the joynagarer moa has its origins right next to my locality.
If you love sweets and if you love junk food nothing beats Kolkata for the price or for the quality. Which is why i end up carrying few kilos of sweets everytime i am in Kolkata. Guilt free indulgence.
But never and i mean NEVER buy anything from the airport. They charge you 10 20 times more for the same food that outside youd get it much cheaper.
I had been to some deep and dark parts of Calcutta in those 10 days I'd spent there. Yes Esplanade is a nice place for street-food lovers. I tried everything from chaats to momos to masala chais.. It was awesome! Even sweet dishes had me blown away! KC Das doesn't hold a candle to these guys!

But I sill love Bangalore, despite the steep prices of everything and the obscurity of other things.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:34   #2303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Can you tell whats the best time to visit the HAL fish market? I am planning to go there tomorrow or Sunday. Also bargaining works or fixed priced shops . Thanks in advance.
Afaik bargaining does not work.The first half of the day is the time the fresh catch comes in from Chennai & Vizag.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:10   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Not sure how many of you have heard about this small little place called 'Luo Han' in HSR Layout. They a vegetarian Chinese/Thai restaurant, and the amount of choices one has here on the menu are mind blowing despite being a veg only place.

If one can get to bear the painfully slow service of this place, the food is absolutely worth every penny. Being a hard core non-vegetarian, I can say that eating here I don't feel the need for non-veg in my dishes

For folks in and around HSR looking for some really good vegetarian Chinese food this is a must try, and the best part is that its very very light on the pocket. A meal for two is about 300-450/- depending on how much is your appetite.

Been a regular there for the past 3-4 years and i can vouch for the fact that the food is really delicious and light on the pocket too. But yeah they need to improve on the service. Earlier, they used to have 2-3 people serving, but now looks like they have just one person. Give it a try.
Old 6th July 2012, 14:05   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had been to some deep and dark parts of Calcutta in those 10 days I'd spent there. ...
You acted in Kahani or what?

The only time I have been to Kolkata (in 2000, for a few days) I kind of subsisted on street food; rolls IIRC. The only posh nosh was at Bengal Club (where I stayed) and at Aheli (Peerless Hotel). I was hunting for a genuine Bengali restaurant, and NO ONE could point me to any other than a "mess" somewhere in Central Cal - didn't sound appealing to the family. I found Aheli in Google search (so much for local knowledge ), and wasn't disappointed - good traditional dishes.

Quote:
... But I sill love Bangalore, despite the steep prices of everything and the obscurity of other things.
Amen!!!
Old 6th July 2012, 14:13   #2306
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte

only posh nosh was at Bengal Club (where I stayed) and at Aheli (Peerless Hotel).

Amen!!!
Very nice, the Bengal Club. Old world charm, preserved pretty well too.
Old 6th July 2012, 15:50   #2307
BHPian

Quote:

I had been to some deep and dark parts of Calcutta in those 10 days I'd spent there. Yes Esplanade is a nice place for street-food lovers. I tried everything from chaats to momos to masala chais.. It was awesome! Even sweet dishes had me blown away! KC Das doesn't hold a candle to these guys!

But I sill love Bangalore, despite the steep prices of everything and the obscurity of other things.
I dont think after having tasted real bengali sweets from kolkata youd like what KC Das has to offer. I am yet to taste a well cooked jalebi in Bangalore. Nothing yet that tastes anything close to what i used to eat in Delhi or West Bengal.
All the prices in Bangalore are very high atleast 2 times what they normally are. Bangalore is however great place for global cuisines. And im not talking about Mainland China. And of course my favorite dishes rava idly and mangalore bun.
As DerAlte sir says you should also visit Aheli next time. Bit pricey but well worth it. Bengali Club ive only gone for parties so not much idea about the food. But the ambience is good. Everyone is well behaved and a nice place to be with family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380
Where are you put up? Suggest you visit the one on Bellary Road next to Shell Petrol pump for good fish. I used to get it from HAL earlier but the bellary road one is much better. The name is HKGN fish stall.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380
Where are you put up? Suggest you visit the one on Bellary Road next to Shell Petrol pump for good fish. I used to get it from HAL earlier but the bellary road one is much better. The name is HKGN fish stall.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th July 2012 at 16:12. Reason: back to back posts. read rule 5b
Old 6th July 2012, 19:19   #2308
Senior - BHPian

I had been to this place called New Lathifia @ BVK Iyengar Road on last Tuesday for Lunch and ordered the following.(Silverwood+!)

1, Fish Fry- 5 No's
2, Mutton Phall- 1/2 Plate
3, Ghee rice- 3 plates

Priced at Rs 50 per piece, Fish fry was just amazing and on top of it,they serve Seer fish. Each piece was of decent size this is one of the tastiest fish fry i have ever had in recent times.

Mutton phall was also amazing, mutton was very tender and well cooked.

Note:This place is as dingy as it can be.

Total Damages:385.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img2012070200699.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 21:32   #2309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
The only time I have been to Kolkata (in 2000, for a few days) I kind of subsisted on street food; rolls IIRC. The only posh nosh was at Bengal Club (where I stayed) and at Aheli (Peerless Hotel). I was hunting for a genuine Bengali restaurant, and NO ONE could point me to any other than a "mess" somewhere in Central Cal - didn't sound appealing to the family. I found Aheli in Google search (so much for local knowledge ), and wasn't disappointed - good traditional dishes.
Not a meal of mine, while I was in Kolkata, exceeded 100 bucks. It was heaven for me because I'm arguably the biggest foodie you can find! If you are interested in trying out a restaurant that serves proper Bengali cuisine you could try Bhojori Manna on Hindustan Road.

In Bangalore, Oh Calcutta is supposed to be a good place. I haven't tried it yet.

Quote:
Amen!!!
That reminds me, is our 'hunt' for the perfect Biryani still on? *grins*

Quote:
I dont think after having tasted real bengali sweets...

...Everyone is well behaved and a nice place to be with family.
I agree. The only problem as I see it is the hygiene. Which is okay with me as long as I don't see it in front of me!

But I must say, KC Das isn't too bad. If you want that little bit of 'Calcutta' in Bangalore, it isn't a bad place to try.
Old 6th July 2012, 21:45   #2310
BHPian

Quote:

Not a meal of mine, while I was in Kolkata, exceeded 100 bucks. It was heaven for me

In Bangalore, Oh Calcutta is supposed to be a good place. I haven't tried it yet.

That reminds me, is our 'hunt' for the perfect Biryani still on? *grins*

I agree. The only problem as I see it is the hygiene. Which is okay with me as long as I don't see it in front of me!
Kolkata is heaven for all types of foodies. For every budget. Need to plan my next visit

In Bangalore both Oh Calcutta and Bhojohori Manna is there. Im yet to try the latter though. Oh Calcutta is a bit costlier but i loved their mutton and luchi and aloo dum.
And i also need to be part of this biryani hunt. Been too long rather close to a year when i had my last taste of Bengali biryani. Hmm.

Most Viewed