Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2015, 09:50   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "It's raining in my city" Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I live within an hour's drive from Agumbe, a place that receives one of the highest rainfalls. So I am used to driving in heavy rainfall, and don't stop driving during heavy rains if I am in my Grand Vitara.

But yesterday I had to break my habit. I was returning from Coorg with family. Near Kunigal, the rain and wind got heavy, my visibility reduces to just few feet. I was afraid of flying debris hitting my windshield. I finally swallowed my pride and stopped.
Looks like on of those episodes from Storm Chasers on Discovery.

Although I enjoy watching dark clouds looming and driving in the rain, it is a risky affair in situations like these.

Wind speed was close to 50kmh in Bangalore and would have been more on the highway due to barren land.
Old 20th May 2015, 10:22   #1232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Wind speed was close to 50kmh in Bangalore and would have been more on the highway due to barren land.
Funny thing is, I was telling my wife how our car can handle crosswinds. After we parked, we were stunned to see the car rock sideways due to crosswinds.
Old 20th May 2015, 10:22   #1233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I live within an hour's drive from Agumbe, a place that receives one of the highest rainfalls. So I am used to driving in heavy rainfall, and don't stop driving during heavy rains if I am in my Grand Vitara.

But yesterday I had to break my habit. I was returning from Coorg with family. Near Kunigal, the rain and wind got heavy, my visibility reduces to just few feet. I was afraid of flying debris hitting my windshield. I finally swallowed my pride and stopped.

Watch in high definition.

The clouds before the storm...
Cant imagine people without functioning taillights driving in those conditions :( Problem with such conditions is also if someone stops suddenly which is very much possible given the state of vehicles with bad maintenance. And lack of lane or road markings.. Actually too many things could go bad in our conditions. I have seen people driving off the road even on NH48 once when it rained heavily.

Good to see people using hazard lights aptly at least.
Old 27th May 2015, 15:48   #1234
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it's gonna rain in the evening. Lots of thunderbirds in Banaswadi area
Old 27th May 2015, 16:38   #1235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Looks like it's gonna rain in the evening. Lots of thunderbirds in Banaswadi area
Thanks for the heads-up mate. I'll brace myself for a painful return journey!
Old 27th May 2015, 17:00   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Thanks for the heads-up mate. I'll brace myself for a painful return journey!
i've to brace myself for getting wet!

hm.. maybe i should carry a soap
Old 27th May 2015, 18:48   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Reached home without getting wet, did get drenched in sweat though. Soap carefully out back in its cover
Old 29th May 2015, 17:51   #1238
Senior - BHPian

For last half hour or so, the sky was dark and looked like doomsday movie. Now it has started pouring. It was just 5:30 but looked like 8.
Old 29th May 2015, 18:20   #1239
BHPian

True, but looks like it is fizzling out... i love rains especially when working from home
Old 29th May 2015, 18:45   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
True, but looks like it is fizzling out... i love rains especially when working from home

Good for you! Watch the rain from the balcony with some hot tea and pakodas

I filled up gas for tomorrow's ride and was heading home and just 3kms from home it started raining. Wasn't that heavy, so reached home partially drenched. Hope my boots dry fast.
Old 29th May 2015, 21:52   #1241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

Good for you! Watch the rain from the balcony with some hot tea and pakodas

I filled up gas for tomorrow's ride and was heading home and just 3kms from home it started raining. Wasn't that heavy, so reached home partially drenched. Hope my boots dry fast.
"Use the soap, Luke! "

I wish the rain would hurry up and get to Delhi. It's becoming unbearable!
Old 1st June 2015, 14:00   #1242
Distinguished - BHPian

Cherrapunji might lose its rain record to Bangalore this year, the city with the most unbearably erratic weather and with rainfall a minimum of once per month every single month. Its getting highly irritating as this city isn't the least prepared for rains, everyday I see the roads getting shredded to bits with each rain. I prefer a hot climate to this any day. With each rain mud, branches and tree-trunks fall down and the authorities would look the other way as usual. Bangalore should be renamed Raingalore.

There is a serious problem with roads in this city if newly laid ones are destroyed merely by rainfall. Traffic management is almost zero with most of the roads flooding up, vehicles go at 5kmph because its difficult to predict where the potholes have been disguised by water. Simple problems requiring a simple solution of repairing roads by the local authorities known to charge the highest road taxes in India, but is it done? NO.
Old 1st June 2015, 16:06   #1243
BHPian

Finally got some much needed rain in Vijayawada, weather is so much nicer after this heat for past few weeks.
Old 1st June 2015, 16:34   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Cherrapunji might lose its rain record to Bangalore this year, the city with the most unbearably erratic weather and with rainfall a minimum of once per month every single month. Its getting highly irritating as this city isn't the least prepared for rains, everyday I see the roads getting shredded to bits with each rain. I prefer a hot climate to this any day. With each rain mud, branches and tree-trunks fall down and the authorities would look the other way as usual. Bangalore should be renamed Raingalore.
I agree to you about authorities not working properly nor Bangalore roads ready for rains but I always prefer to be drenched in rain rather than drenched in sweat along with dust. With the way this summer has created havoc over entire India with the heat wave I think its a welcome relief for us Bangaloreans to enjoy this weather (even though its unpredictable).

But yes we do have to make these authorities responsible for some of their actions. Its high time the government makes BBMP similar to private organizations where each and every action of theirs is accountable and are penalized for their inabilities. Wishful thinking though!
Old 1st June 2015, 16:51   #1245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I agree to you about authorities not working properly nor Bangalore roads ready for rains but I always prefer to be drenched in rain rather than drenched in sweat along with dust. With the way this summer has created havoc over entire India with the heat wave I think its a welcome relief for us Bangaloreans to enjoy this weather
Well I actually start getting highly irritated when I see rain clouds this year, if it happens during a relaxing weekend afternoon it means no hopes of going out for anyone, the only thing to do is to seal the door shut & sit inside putting on the lights as even at 2pm the clouds make it seem like midnight. If its a weekday its even more annoying & stressful because as we know the so called drivers start driving at 0.5kmph even if 1 drop falls, traffic will come to a standstill and one has to listen to a blaring orchestra of horns all the way home.

I think you know this city wasn't like this even 3-4 years back, monsoons were just rains that lasted hardly 30 mins a day just enough to cool the atmosphere. These days the rain hammers the city like a plague of locusts, destroying & dirtying everything in its path. I know just about everyone likes the rains but I'm good with the harsh sun blazing over me, somehow I've a much greater threshold for withstanding heat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks