51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 13:34   #1576

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Fully agree there.

A question I always wanted to ask - what is "sideways movement"?

Sideways movement means when common indicators like moving averages give buy and sell signals one after the other, almost all of them loss making. Like suppose you get a signal to go long, and the next day the market falls, giving you a short signal. You remove your longs, and go short, it falls for one more day and again bounces up, giving you a loss on the short side, and triggering a long again.

What happens here is that since the trader has been bounced around in losses for a week, he skips the next trade, and that long trade ends up going to the weekly or monthly highs, making the trader feel stupid.

I just described what I went through while I was learning to trade
The above process has my trademark, as I have a PHD in being whipsawed by the market while I was learning.

As for my comment, that technicals is the only thing that works, I can kaunch into a long lecture on the pro side of technicals, but that would be understood only by a person who has looked into system development and trades on an intraday to swing basis.

Fact is, even if you make a mistake in the markets and bury the mistake in your ledger for a few years, if its a good name, it will give you returns over 5 years, but that does not in any way reflect what you could have done in the stock, maybe taking 6 to 8 trades per year in that company, and ending up with an excellent return, whereas, now after holding for 3 years, all you can be satisfied about is that you did not loose money and made a decent % return, compared to phenomenal returns, had you traded ina nd out of the stock.

Disclaimer: its only for professionals. Trading in and out is not for investors, as there is the risk of selling and not being able to buy back, and wringing your hands for the next 3 years.
Old 19th October 2010, 14:54   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I have a issue here...Need your inputs.

I have applied shares of Canara Bank during the IPO listing (around 4-5 years back). Unfortunately, I had not received the physical share certificate from Karvy Computershare (Unit: Canara Bank) as they are the brokers for this. I'am receiving the dividends every year. The latest being in July-10. I now want to transfer the shares to my online demat account. I had called up Karvy (Bangalore and Hyderabad) many times and they are not responding well. I even have sent the mails to their cutomer care services. But again no response.

Can anybody know the right person and the contact ph no so that I can get the physical shares certificate and can transfer the shares back to my demat account.
You can contact the company secretary with your greivance at
ADDRESS OF COMPANY SECRETARY:
The Company Secretary,
Secretarial Department,
Chairman & Managing Director's Secretariat,
Head Office,
112, J.C.Road,
Bangalore - 560 002.

Phone : 080- 2210 0250
Fax 080- 22248831
E.Mail : hosecretarial@canarabank.co.in

I am sure they would respond to your problem.

Last edited by bblost : 19th October 2010 at 18:31. Reason: Font Tags removed. Please do not copy paste from external editors. Thanks.
Old 19th October 2010, 15:05   #1578
BANNED

Quote:
I have a issue here...Need your inputs.

I suppose that since you receive the dividents, you will have retained the counterfoils attached to the divident warrant. That contains a "folio number".

Just claim that you lost the share certificate. Most registrars issue periodical advertisements regarding applications for lost share certificates, and you will have to bear a portion of the advertisement coast and some added paper work - indemnity certificate, etc.

So, instead of telling Karvy that you did not receive the share certificate, you may be better off telling them that you lost it. Support your claim with copies of the warrant counterfoils. Your folio number is all they need to trace out your details.

Before that, check your papers - there would be an "allottment letter", a share certificate is not usually sent unless you return this allottment letter, IIRC.
Old 19th October 2010, 18:23   #1579
BHPian

somewhere earlier on this thread some one asked for stock screeners based on fundamental parameters. Here are 2 that I found-
Capital4.com: Capital4.com: Stock Screener, India Stock Screener, India Stock Market Screener, Value Stocks, Growth Stocks, Contrarian Picks
NSE Stock Exchange India | Online BSE & NSE Trading India | BSE Stock Quotes & Prices | Edelweiss

first one seems to have some good predefined screeners but its efficiency depends how frequently the data is updated.
edelweiss is a reputed broker so their data must be more reliable but they don't seem to have predefined screeners.
Old 19th October 2010, 23:05   #1580
BHPian

I am always surrounded with friends who are full time in to stocks (though that's not their profession since they were/are my colleagues ). I am seeing them from past 6 years so many times got tempted but preferred not to invest. I could not resist my temptation and finally took of investing in to Relicance communication during Jan 2010 (purchased around 100 shares. Currently running in loss - repenting for the decision
Old 20th October 2010, 10:36   #1581
BANNED

lazybrain - serves you right for purchasing a company with

1. huge debt
2. razor thin margins
3. price leader in a tariff war.

Learn from your mistakes. Identify the causes for your failure and try to avoid them next time. It is a a small sum after all.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:53   #1582
J.Ravi

A few minutes back, I applied online for 400 shares of Coal India IPO through my Axis Bank saving account under ASBA at cut-off price of Rs 245 each. As the response from the RII category is very muted, I am sure of full and firm allotment.

Old 20th October 2010, 10:57   #1583
BHPian

@Declite

In past shares used to be offered at a quoted price and in present times share IPO,s are oiffere through book building process. As per the company's profit the merchant bankers work out a PE zone for the company and then investors place a bid for a certain quantity at a certain price within that band. So the final price is based on the demand analysis within that band. Lets say if max bids are at 245 in coal India IPO the company will take the final allocation price at 245. Sometimes the company may offer a lower price to get goodwill of investors.
If you are a retail investor and want assured allotment you have the option to bid at "cutoff" (subject to total demand being less than or equal to no. of shares available)

Coal india IPO is good for long term as well as listing gains unlike another big IPO of reliance power which was disastrous for investors as it is largest mining company and an existing profit making PSU being offered at a reasonable price band with extra 5% discount for retail investor.

@J ravi

It's never over till the last minute! The max retail subscription comes on the last day ,i.e., thursday for this ipo. Retail investors have a tendency to wait and watch the response. However since this is the large IPO you may still get allotment vis-a-vis a smaller good IPO.

As there is a good institutional demand the IPO is likely to open well on listing. Those FIIs and DIIs who have not got their fill will try to buy from open market as this IPO is a must buy for any institutional investor.

@lazybrain

Believe me,people like you, who are passive investors, can make the best of the markets. Since you are not watching the markets everyday you can make multibagger returns. Just invest in a good diversifed mutual fund and do it systematically every month. When the market falls , as it did in 2008 invest more of your funds and after few years you will make super returns. This is the perfect method to invest for long term goals like retirement, children's higher education/marriage.

Last edited by rock75 : 20th October 2010 at 11:07.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:29   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Well, thanks guys for your responses.

@Backseatdriver: I have the conuterfoils of the dividend I have recieved. But I'am unable to find the allottment letter (maybe I have misplaced, I'am not sure). But you have infomred to complain to SEBI in your other post, will it work?

@sridhga: Thanks for the address and mail. I will write to them immly.
Old 20th October 2010, 11:56   #1585
BANNED

Quote:
@Backseatdriver: I have the conuterfoils of the dividend I have recieved. But I'am unable to find the allottment letter (maybe I have misplaced, I'am not sure). But you have infomred to complain to SEBI in your other post, will it work?
Why should you go to SEBI in the frist place?

You have not yet put anything in writing with them (Karvy).

They are one of biggest registrars and have a very good system in place. I am sure that if they have a fault a their end (not sent the certificates), they will respond. If there is a loss in transist too, you will be able to find out.

Either communicate by e-mail, or letter; never by phone, unless the individual you are dealing with is the person dealing with your matter.

AFter all, a share certificate is no trivial matter, (even if it is only one share) and no registrar will waive procedures for it.

I have a few shares certiicates of the erstwhile Tata Oil Mills Ltd. There were in name o my great-great grandfather. Less than 10 shares, the cost of getting them transferred direct to me / father were far more than market price of the shares themselves, so simply let it go and keeping the share certificates as a souvenir. The point is, there are formalities, and you have go through the painful process. That is why the demat concept has been introduced.
Old 20th October 2010, 18:43   #1586
BHPian

Quote:
lazybrain - serves you right for purchasing a company with

1. huge debt
2. razor thin margins
3. price leader in a tariff war.

Learn from your mistakes. Identify the causes for your failure and try to avoid them next time. It is a a small sum after all.
Sure i agree with you but i am not sure where i am heading currently. Purchased reliance comm. share for 176 per share during Jan 2010 and now the current share price is hardly 174. I was predicting to touch at least 225 mark and sell this off the way it was going up during March 2010. Any pointers would be surely helpful. I am getting a feel now that stock market is a purely a gamble and no much logic involved.

Last edited by lazybrain : 20th October 2010 at 18:45.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:01   #1587
BANNED

Dude, give me 5 reasons why you thought that R. comm will go up to 225. If you do not have any, YOU are the gambler.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:15   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, give me 5 reasons why you thought that R. comm will go up to 225. If you do not have any, YOU are the gambler.
i am neither a gambler nor a rational in fact i am amateur. Only one reason i thought that the news which was out in March 2010 about overseas acquisition enhanced the share price which was quite evident.

The very reason i am still retaining the shares with me is i am trying to learn and also look forward from experts like you to provide me some hands on tips
Old 20th October 2010, 19:26   #1589
BANNED

Your reasons for buying a stock has nothing to do with your experience. Experience may have a bearing on your timing decision, but not on the choice.

You have only one reason, and that reason came aroudn in March. You bought the shares in February, so you made a blind gamble. Face it and accept it.

Today, the shares were trading for some time above INR 176 so, you really are not on a loss.

A company taking over another company may actually erode the value of the buying company in several situations. So, you still are a gambler.

No offence meant, just rubbing salt into your wounds, so that you will learn to accept your mistakes as your mistakes. Do not rationalise or justify them. That is the sure fire way to make one crore from the market - if you started with two.
Old 20th October 2010, 19:44   #1590
BHPian

accepted but not for sure gambling but a blunder committed!! since weak hearted people like me dont believe in gambling.

Now please tell me what do u suggest for future sell this off or wait, if wait why wait?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks