Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 10:17   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parenthood: Sharing the joy, precious moments, learnings and experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Guys I became father to a baby girl last month.
Yesterday she completed one month.

She is very cute and sweet. Daddy's girl.
Congratulations dude!
Yeah initially babies sleep a lot. Something like 18 hours a day which is a good thing because babies grow more when they are sleeping. So, enjoy these moments of peace while you have them You'll have plenty of time to play with her later on.

Regarding doctors, both my daughters go to Dr Janaki at Fortis, Bannerghatta road. She is pretty good and doesnt force anything on you. She also takes the time to explain everything in detail. She talks a bit fast but if you ask her something again, she will explain everything again nicely.

There was another doc in Fortis whom we went to only once since Dr Janaki was not available. He was kinda curt and straight to the point. Some people like that kind of doctors, my wife doesnt. So, naturally we didnt go to him again. hehe. We have dealt with Dr HanumanthRao also at Fortis and he is also pretty good and thorough

One good thing about Fortis is that you don't have to wait tooooo long and there is no "jumping the queue" unless there is a real emergency, or unless the doctor has to go to surgery.

Regarding massage, ask around from the maids in your locality. They are the best source of such information.

Hope this was helpful. Enjoy your real life promotion to fatherhood

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 11:30   #467
BHPian

Make sure that you don't appoint the 'massage lady' without good references from people who've used her services in the past. There's nothing worse than a baby getting a massage from someone who is not experienced in such matters. In case you don't find anyone, let your wife or some other elder lady in the family continue the same.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 11:40   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more question:
Do you guys have any numbers/contacts of the ladies who give massage to babies?
This little one was getting nice massage twice a day at my mother in law place.
My wife does give her some massage but it is nowhere near the standards of massage with the lady in Hyderabad used to give. She had 20+ years of experience in that!!!
I have answer for both ur questions.

The doc and an oldie who gives massage.This lady was with me for 3 months and is great in her work.She is known to us from last 2 decades.Will pm the required info.

BTW-Where do u reside.?

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 25th November 2011 at 11:41.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 11:49   #469
Team-BHP Support

Congrats man. Nothing like a daughter to cheer up a guy. My angel is now around 10 months old.

We never gave her any massage. So no idea about that.

However by the time she was 2 months old, she would get a daily hot water bath.
My wife and I would do it together.

I still remember the early days, when she would keep sleeping all the time. It was a pain trying to wake her up for a feed. In fact my wife and I had a small white board put up in the room. Every feed and the amount of time would be written on it. This way there was no confusion on when the last feed was.

Also avoid the use of diapers, except when the lil one is sleeping at night. Not only is this great for the environment, but babies who are breastfed and use minimal diapers have very low possibility of getting diaper rash.

Wet wipes are your best friend.

If there are any mosquitoes, get a good mosquito net. We used a fully closed up kind of net. It kept her safe for sometime till she outgrew it. Then moved to a slightly larger one that came with a frame.

Enjoy the moments.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 13:16   #470
Senior - BHPian

Folks would like to share the good news that i was blessed with a baby boy in june, i know i am late but as the good old say goes better late then never

as one gets to this new and wonderful phase, will be challanged with tons f questions and as usual TBHP has answers for all

I was considering to buy a "baby carry bag", bt not sure which one is good any suggestions?
Old 25th November 2011, 14:16   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I became father to a baby girl last month.
Yesterday she completed one month.

She is very cute and sweet. Daddy's girl.
Congos for the little angel. Being a father is one of the most amazing feeling a man can get in his lifetime.

Our Hero (my 22 month old son) was also born in Bangalore and I can provide the contact of the pediatric we used to see, an old doc whose name i keep forgetting. he was good in terms of not prescribing unnecessary medicines plus listening to us properly and giving answers to our concerns / questions.

On the message front, we have been giving messages to my son ourselves and touch wood, our little one quite enjoys it.

As other pointed out, babies do tend to sleep for quite long during initial 3 months, till they come in normal sleeping cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Also avoid the use of diapers, except when the lil one is sleeping at night. Not only is this great for the environment, but babies who are breastfed and use minimal diapers have very low possibility of getting diaper rash.

Wet wipes are your best friend.
Had to disagree on this. We have been using diapers from the time, our son was 1 month old. he was breastfed till age of nine months and we faced diaper rash only once, that too when our maid took care of him during my wife's illness.

The key is to take care of personal as well as baby's hygiene properly. After every diaper change, we wash our son with mild soap/j&j body wash, dry him properly, apply some baby powder and moisturizer / olive oil and only then he wears the diaper. This all takes 10-15 minutes but has a great effect on keeping the baby diaper rash free.
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 14:24   #472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I was considering to buy a "baby carry bag", bt not sure which one is good any suggestions?
Congrats

Do you mean something like this: ShoppersStop.com - Mothercare 3 position Carrier - black

If yes then you might wanna kick yourself for not having asked this question two months back.

That was when the Shoppers Stop annual sale was on. Heavy discounting on almost all products.

I use something similar. Its quite nice but I don't use it often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Had to disagree on this. We have been using diapers from the time, our son was 1 month old. he was breastfed till age of nine months and we faced diaper rash only once, that too when our maid took care of him during my wife's illness.

The key is to take care of personal as well as baby's hygiene properly. After every diaper change, we wash our son with mild soap/j&j body wash, dry him properly, apply some baby powder and moisturizer / olive oil and only then he wears the diaper. This all takes 10-15 minutes but has a great effect on keeping the baby diaper rash free.

In my daughters case we use cotton nappies. They get soiled. We empty the poop into the toilet. Then wash it up and let it dry.

As for cleaning her up, all it needs is two or (rarely) 3 wet wipes.

In the morning, we load all the cotton nappies into the washing machine. The wet one's and the (washed) soiled one's.
A little detergent powder. The quick wash program. Then dry them in the sun.

Assuming that in 24 hours, you will need at least 6 diapers. Adding up to almost 180 diapers a month. Costing you around 1500 to 1800 a month.

My daughter is around 10 months old.
So that is a minimum cost saving of at least 10k for me.
And for the planet, some 1500 less diapers to deal with.

For every diaper you did not use, the mother earth would surely thank you.

Last edited by bblost : 25th November 2011 at 14:33.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:51   #473
Senior - BHPian

Bblost, yes, ahhhh yes i feel like beating myself now

btw am sure it helps?

Quote:
Congrats

Do you mean something like this: ShoppersStop.com - Mothercare 3 position Carrier - black

If yes then you might wanna kick yourself for not having asked this question two months back.

That was when the Shoppers Stop annual sale was on. Heavy discounting on almost all products.

I use something similar. Its quite nice but I don't use it often.

In my daughters case we use cotton nappies. They get soiled. We empty the poop into the toilet. Then wash it up and let it dry.

As for cleaning her up, all it needs is two or (rarely) 3 wet wipes.

In the morning, we load all the cotton nappies into the washing machine. The wet one's and the (washed) soiled one's.
A little detergent powder. The quick wash program. Then dry them in the sun.

Assuming that in 24 hours, you will need at least 6 diapers. Adding up to almost 180 diapers a month. Costing you around 1500 to 1800 a month.

My daughter is around 10 months old.
So that is a minimum cost saving of at least 10k for me.
And for the planet, some 1500 less diapers to deal with.

For every diaper you did not use, the mother earth would surely thank you.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:38   #474
Senior - BHPian

^Talking about diapers, based on my experience (my son is now 2 years and 8 months old).
1. All diapers are not equal.
The material varies a lot between brands and even in the same brand, between manufacturing countries.
If you have someone coming from overseas, ask them to get a set of diapers and then compare with what we get here.
A good example is Pampers: The quality that we had tried earlier on was very bad - you could really feel the plastic material when you touch by hand. However the quality of Pampers that we got from middle-east is really nice - extremely soft and cloth like feel.

From the brands available easily we have always preferred Huggies and we have mostly got good quality ones - there is a cheaper variant also available which is a different shade of orange - and that one is really bad in terms of quality.

2. I am not encouraging use of diapers, but in case you do need to buy, just note that all are not of the same class.
And, now-a-days pant style diapers are becoming more common-place- easier to put on, but not as easy as they show on TV.

3. Avoid diapers when you need to carry the baby a lot. If the baby is lying down or sitting somewhere for a long time, then diapers would not cause rashes, but everytime you pick up the baby, carry the baby around and then hand over to someone else, the diaper material is rubbing against the baby skin.
The problem is aggravated in hot weather.
Old 25th November 2011, 20:38   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Congratulations dude!

Hope this was helpful. Enjoy your real life promotion to fatherhood

Cheers
Amitoj
Thanks for the pointers.
The promotion comes with a 24X7 responsibility. But its worth it. Every bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
In case you don't find anyone, let your wife or some other elder lady in the family continue the same.
That's what we are doing till we find someone good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I have answer for both ur questions.

The doc and an oldie who gives massage.This lady was with me for 3 months and is great in her work.She is known to us from last 2 decades.Will pm the required info.

BTW-Where do u reside.?
I am in HSR layout. Sent you a PM.

Quote:
Congrats man. Nothing like a daughter to cheer up a guy. My angel is now around 10 months old.

Enjoy the moments.
Thanks for the wishes. Daughters are extra cute no doubt. Hence most of them end up being "Daddy's girl".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks would like to share the good news that i was blessed with a baby boy in june, i know i am late but as the good old say goes better late then never

as one gets to this new and wonderful phase, will be challanged with tons f questions and as usual TBHP has answers for all
Belated congratulations man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Congos for the little angel. Being a father is one of the most amazing feeling a man can get in his lifetime.
Thanks for the wishes.
Old 11th December 2011, 20:48   #476
Distinguished - BHPian

Became a proud Papa in the afternoon today to a little darling angel, who is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in this world!

She is so small and so cute, and she smiles with really tiny dimples in her sleep!
Old 11th December 2011, 22:19   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Became a proud Papa in the afternoon today to a little darling angel, who is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in this world!

She is so small and so cute, and she smiles with really tiny dimples in her sleep!
Congrats. Wishing her the very best.

Old 12th December 2011, 20:33   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats. Wishing her the very best.

Thank you, my friend.

She is such an adorable little cutie, and is so soft to the touch! It's like feeling the lush petal of a rose. I am loving every moment I am spending with her.

And so starts the 5th inning of my life - getting born, teenage days, full-time job, marriage and now fatherhood. Looks like this one will be the best of all of them.

Last edited by bblost : 12th December 2011 at 20:52. Reason: Sending a PM. Thanks.
Old 12th December 2011, 21:18   #479
Senior - BHPian

^Welcome to the club.
BTW: Girls are more attached to their fathers and other way around for boys being more attached to their mothers. So you are lucky.
Sidenote: Sleepless nights may no longer be uncommon. :-P
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 12:54   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Many congratulations to you and your batter half !!! wishing your angel best of health,joy & happiness...

on a side note: welcome to the world of sleepless nights & nappy changing
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks