Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 12:58   #5491
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Perfect example of a Shikampur is the one you get at "Wengers" in CP, Delhi
I dont think wengers in delhi sell or even know about shikampuri ,shammi kebab yes!

If you are interested in getting shikampuri home delivered ,there is http://www.starchik.in/home/home.php , we order lot of stuff from them (their shikampuri's are nice)

RR
Old 10th April 2013, 13:13   #5492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
I dont think wengers in delhi sell or even know about shikampuri ,shammi kebab yes!
+1 RR.

Wengers does not sell Shikampuri kebab, only Shami Kebab. (Not Shammi Kebab)

Waseem.
Old 10th April 2013, 13:18   #5493
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Shikampuri usually has either a slice of egg
Isn't that the Nargisi?
Old 10th April 2013, 13:23   #5494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shikampuri usually has either a slice of egg or a spoonful of hung curd at the center of the kabab. Shammi Kabab is the drier of the 2. Both look the same from outside if shallow fried. Shammi Kabab is sometimes deep fried.
Cooking is a therapy for many. For me, eating works better as a therapy...lol!

As it was last friday, I dont recall what it was. Next time will check it out

Btw, what you referring to is neither Shammi or Shikampur, its known as "Nargisi Kofta" and I eat them regularly at my cousins place

It's made in the shape of fat finger chips and 1/4th of a finely chopped boiled egg is part of this minced meat wonder.

Iam drooling and will call him and have him make for this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post

If you are interested in getting shikampuri home delivered ,there is http://www.starchik.in/home/home.php , we order lot of stuff from them (their shikampuri's are nice)

RR
Yes, I mentioned in my subsequent post, it could be Shammi Kebab. Whenever I got to Delhi, I eat a couple of them right there and then and take away a couple of them when coming back, I love the Wenger Shammi Kebab so much
Old 10th April 2013, 14:13   #5495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Isn't that the Nargisi?
Quote:
... Btw, what you referring to is neither Shammi or Shikampur, its known as "Nargisi Kofta" and I eat them regularly at my cousins place ...
Nargisi (Kofta) kabab = Scotch eggs. Plain mince with egg binder and powdered spices, covering a whole boiled egg usually (can be length-wise quartered, as you have seen), and deep fried. Completely different from putting a slice (cut across the egg) in Shikampuri. The egg filling is Hydi style - in North India it is usually hung curd.

Shammi Kabab used to be (that's how I have seen in Delhi, and that's how I make it) mince + chana dal ground together finely on sil-batta - rather than blitzed in a mixie. It is also fried well to have a crisp outer layer.

Shikampuri is supposed to be mince and chana dal paste mixed together, with a core that would allow the inside to cook faster (thinner body), yet remain soft without becoming crisp.

Shammi Kabab is like a good masala vada, Shikampuri is like a fried soft burger patty.

Bless you, guys - you have put the fitoor in my dimaag now! Unfortunately one doesn't get such stuff in Bangalore, so I have to make it myself over the weekend.
Old 10th April 2013, 14:44   #5496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nargisi (Kofta) kabab = Scotch eggs. .
Bang on, Scotch eggs is the right word. Nizam Club makes one of the finest Shikampur Kebabs & Nargisi Koftas in Hyderabad

However, the best I ate till now is at my cousin's place and he knows whenever I visit his place, Biryani (again the best i ever tasted) NK is default menu

Otherwise, Nargisi Kofta is not available in any restuarant's menu anywhere even in Hyderabad ( good business idea to start a restuarant with Nargisi Kofta as main dish)

DA Saab, your a adept in making and iam in eating. I dont pay too much attention to the complete set of ingredients that go into making a dish. Though I know the basic stuff for sure

After you enjoy please share some pictures here too

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th April 2013 at 14:46.
Old 10th April 2013, 14:45   #5497
BHPian

Just when I was posting this, mobike wrote the ^^^^ post praising Nizam's. What a coincidence.

That was a yummy discussion about shikampuris and shami kebabs.

Just back from lunch at Nizam's club. What a disappointment. They are not even serving good biryani now a days.

Had fish capsicum, seena dalcha, roti and mutton biryani. Did not expect fish to be any good and it was pretty bad but their dalcha and biryani used to be rated around 8/10 and what we got today was probably 2-3/10.
Old 10th April 2013, 15:15   #5498
BHPian

Quote:
Last weekend for the first time picked up a couple of items from "Sarvi" Banjara Hills

Rs.150 for 1/2 Irani Tandoori Chicken (ITC). This was super delicious and I liked it a lot. Very different from the regular style Tandoori and good for healthy too ( less spicy, less masala, salt etc)

I'll go back for the ITC for sure !!!
I also visited Sarvi more or less the same time as you except that I ate there itself. Do not miss taking away Lasooni Fish Tikka the next time.

Between the 5 of us, we ordered Half Irani Tandoori Chicken (180), a plate of Mahi Sarson Tikka (300), a plate of Pathar Ka Gosht (280), a Daal Makhani (190) and a Mutton Dum Biryani (200) alongwith colas, rotis, waters and finally just one Qubani Ka Meetha with Ice Cream (110).

They charge Service Tax @ 4.94% and VAT @ 14.5%. No Service Charges are levied.

They do not serve double mutton biryani (though they have it in take away).

They do not serve Lasooni Fish Tikka though that is available in take away (this is one item which is a must take away for those who love fish but it cannot be eaten there as it is not in the dine in menu).

The restaurant on the 2nd floor has a very good ambiance and is certainly pretty upmarket where one can even take 5-star level guests. The only shortcoming is the entry which is between the take away and the tea stall.

Service is very good and all in all, dine-in is fully VFM except for the quality of the ice cream served with Qubani, so I rate it 4.95/5.
Old 11th April 2013, 10:57   #5499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Had fish capsicum, seena dalcha, roti and mutton biryani. Did not expect fish to be any good and it was pretty bad but their dalcha and biryani used to be rated around 8/10 and what we got today was probably 2-3/10.
Iam surprised and saddened to know that Biryani was not good. But, I was talking about Shikampur and they do make a mean one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
They do not serve Lasooni Fish Tikka though that is available in take away (this is one item which is a must take away for those who love fish but it cannot be eaten there as it is not in the dine in menu).
That's a pretty good scorecard. Why didnt you call me when I was there at the take-away as you knew I was going to be there? I wouldnt have joined your party Bajaj Saab, please dont be scared and invite me next time

When I was taking away, an elegant looking elderly muslim lady was giving a big order and when asked for Patthar Ka Ghost, it was not available in take-away but, when the owner checked at restuarant, they quoted Rs.390 for a plate

What's your take on Biryani? Never had Sarvi Biryani till date so its about time.

Weekend is Lasooni Fish Tikka for sure

Had Dinner at Daspalla (Aqua Spirts) on Tuesday.

Ambience is excellent but, the food wasnt so much

We were 4 of us and ordered the following :-

Peanuts Masala (Horrible)
Veg Springrolls (Oily)
Apollo Fish (Average)
Chilly Lamb (Too crunchy and hard)
Chicken Tikka (Good)
Mutton Biryani (Good but, typical buffet style though)
Curd Rice
Omlette (Excellent served with thick potato wedges)

Tuesday lunch was at " Wonton"

We ordered the following :-

Chicken Lollypops
Egg Fried Rice
Chicken Fried Rice
Thai Roasted Chicken Gravy based( Loved this one)

Each and every item was excellent. Enjoyed this meal
Old 11th April 2013, 12:33   #5500
BHPian

Firstly it was a gr8 surprise for me to see that we have a thread on this subject in this forum

I always thought of TBHP as a serious forum which only spills metal,fuel and gears

Happy to see this oozing out loads of Nizami flavour and indian tadka !!!

Great going and will add my 2 cents on a small joint right on the cross junction near to Raidurgam police station ( rd from Mehdipatnam towards Gachibowli) .Its called "FoodNation" a multi joint kind.

we had ChickenMalai Tikka and this was byfar the best i had. So yummy and succulent the masala was made with kaju paste and it was awesome in everybite. Even the biriyani was very spicy and good.

Not sure if you all like it but its worth giving a shot.

-Cheers
Old 11th April 2013, 17:39   #5501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I also visited Sarvi more or less the same time as you except that I ate there itself.
Quote:
Why didnt you call me when I was there at the take-away as you knew I was going to be there? I wouldnt have joined your party Bajaj Saab, please dont be scared and invite me next time

What's your take on Biryani?
I was there more or less the same time but not exactly at the same time. If I was there when you came, I would have told you to buy a diet pepsi and bring it upstairs as they did not have it in the menu.

I have always been fond of Sarvi Biryani and it figures on my list of the best three (others being Bahar and Paradise) though it is the least consistent of all. Sometimes, the chillies in the masala are so excessive that the taste gets spoiled.

That evening, we ordered single masala at the dine-in which was perfect for the family though I would have preferred it as double masala. It had 7 pieces of mutton, all very well done.
Old 11th April 2013, 19:36   #5502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
I heard that this (KPHB) outlet is not the actual “Café Bahar” but just another outlet with name "Bahar" mentioned, similar to many "Bawarchi" outlets.
Authentic/duplicate/franchisee - whatever the case might be, the smell (the aroma, rather) was heavenly when I visited them last sunday. I might have been too hungry too at that time. I never experienced it in any other biryani outlets so far. Will try to go a bit early this weekend and get hold of a parcel.
Old 11th April 2013, 20:16   #5503
BHPian

Quote:
Iam surprised and saddened to know that Biryani was not good. But, I was talking about Shikampur and they do make a mean one.
The shikampur is one of the dishes which is still good at NC. Even Dalcha was a must have there but yesterday was disappointed with it too. The overall food quality has come down a lot in last couple of years.
Old 20th April 2013, 08:41   #5504
Distinguished - BHPian

What's happening to Hydeez? No updates from 9 days. Is everyone on a diet like me?

Been to "Blue Fox" at Himyathnagar a couple of days back

Ambience as usual is lovely and makes you feel like slowing down your meal so you can sit for a longer period

Even though it was a Thursday,it was jam-packed. There is a serious issue of increased spending power..lol!

We ordered the following :-

Veg Bullets (Rs.185)
Veg Manchuria (Rs. 225)
Paneer Butter Masala ( Rs.230)
Mutton Rogan Josh ( Rs.310)
Kulchas and Rotis
Ghosth Dum Biryani (Rs.275)
Fruit Punches ( Each at Rs 80)

Total Damages ( taxes are ST at 4.94%, 14.50% of VAT) : 2065

Veg Bullets has been the signature dish at BF. Infact, we had veg bullets for the first time here many many years ago

Machurian was also excellent. Wonder why its priced so expensive.

Paneer Butter Masala was nice but, bit bland. Mom loved it

Mutton Rogan Josh was perfect. Spicy, Meaty and this is one meat dish I love with bones. Unlike other places, they served small boned heavily loaded meat which fell of the bone the minute teeth is sinked into it..lol

Highlight of the evening for me was the Mutton Biryani. I never thought I will get a better biryani than Paradise. Here it was, this one simply blew me away. Double masala, long grained rice and meat was cooked like they do in barbeque. smoky, chewy yet soft and lots of good boned meat which iam starting like over the boneless. I enjoyed this next day as well as quantity was very good. But, very pricey

BF (Himayathnagar) continues to live up to our expectation and we havent dared venturing out to other outlets ( except once to Ameerpet which was also good)

P.S: First time ever we walked to a restuarant for dinner

Loved this gongura chutney. Btw, I love the array of andhra chutneys they keep on the table. My most favorite chutney wasnt there that day which is light orange color, spicy and tastes heavenly. Apparently, they keep changing regularly.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img2013041800678.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img2013041800677.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img2013041800679.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img2013041800681.jpg
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:10   #5505
Senior - BHPian

Paradise opens at Kukatpally-Today 22 Apr-2013

Paradise opens today.Located on the Lower Ground Floor of the South India Mall,open from 11am to 11pm.It also has the Paradise Bakery and Takeaway included.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks