Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2009, 15:07   #976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Mainland China went down hill in the recent past. Food just isnt what it used to be there. So Wonton would be the better pick of the two. I personally love Haiking. Best chinese grub, period.
When she was here 2 years ago, i took her to Haiking doing a big jig about their food and to shock, a cockroach was discovered in our dish. They didnt even offer to offer that dish free of cost.

That was my SECOND such experience, once prior to above visit. I thought it was an isolated incident. But, come on a hotel of that standard repeating with same customer. I wont go there again !

Quote:
Mainland China, Punjabi by nature and Zafraan are spread out on a 1km stretch of road. Mind exploring other area? .
That's the reason for this post. Suggestions D

Quote:
I would also suggest trying out these new clubs that opened in the recent past. Eg. Excess, Spoil, On, etc. Touch is so 2000 .
Excess is good but it only heats up after midnight. Touch still gets one of the best crowds. Other pubs are not pubs but hootch sellers..LOL

Quote:
Little Italy is also a valid choice if she likes Italian cusine and doesnt mind vegetarian.
She is a pure vegetarian and thats a good suggestion.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:07   #977
BHPian

Quote:
So Wonton would be the better pick of the two.
I have never heard of Wonton.

Can someone point me to Wonton?
Old 9th September 2009, 15:16   #978
BHPian

There is a place called Chinese Pavilion on Road No.1, opposite Vengala Rao Park, a short distance before GVK One while coming from the Nagarjuna Circle side.

Doesn't seem to be a very well known place and rarely crowded, maybe because there's no bar, but pretty good food.
Old 9th September 2009, 15:28   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
As most of you know my sis is visiting and will be heading back home on Sep 17, she will be staying with us from tomorrow until she catches her flight.

She wanted to use her final week to indulge in gastronomical delights ( being part of a foodie family, thats not suprising i hope..LOL)

So these are the places i thought of introducing to her in the coming week ( mostly dinners)

Mainland China/Wonton ( Chinese grub)
Punjabi by Nature ( Punjabi Food)
Zafraan Exotica ( Just for the ambience)
70mm/Serengeti ( Again lovely ambience and kids will love the "Rainforest Cafe" type of atmosphere)
Touch ( She wanted to hit a pub after the kids fall asleep)

Is it too crammed?Any alternate suggestions?

Avi Bhai, in the recent times that I have gone to some of the hotels..in chinese, I liked Aromas of China at City centre. All that we ordered was very good and very chinese.

Serengeti was for ambience..food was like okish.

Touch : I loved this place for the music that they played.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:17   #980
Distinguished - BHPian

Had dinner last night at " Punjabi by Nature". All the family folks decided on the buffet spread despite my advice. They enjoyed, i did not.

It was a huge spread with 3 NV Snacks, 2 NV Curries,chat, lots of veg stuff and all. There was one drink offered part of the buffet, pick your choice.

5 Veggie folks thoroughly enjoyed the fare and i tried some and it was really good. And, 1 NV fella ( me) hated the spread. None of the NV fare was even worth talking about.

It was one of the most horrible non veg food i ever had in my life, going by their high standards. I should have stuck to ala-carte

It costed Rs.395/Head ++. Note, they levy a 10% SC as well. Can you imagine the tax component itself was 500 bucks.

Total damages to my pocket, a cool Rs.2900. I am not going back there again.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:36   #981
Senior - BHPian

How come you have not tasted biryani in Bawarchi near Rtc X roads really good
Quote:
I searched the forum and could not find any thread on eating joints in Hyderabad. If there is one, mods, please merge this into that thread.

I thought to start one as like most of us, apart from cars and bikes, i am totally in love with other two important aspects of good life. Great food and liquor!

Let me start with a few joints that i like :

Biryani
Paradise, Hyderabad House and most of the hundreds of old biryani outlets are past its glory days. And, i typically find good meat biryani in mid-sized bars. Hyderabad's second biggest past time being drinking ( after movie watching) and like we all know bars run only if they serve good food as liquor is available anywhere.

For Biryani, my recommendation goes to "Four Seasons" in Mehdipatnam areas. Absolutely lip-smacking stuff and they are winners in Biryani contest 2 years in consectively.

Rating 3/5

North Indian

"Angeethi" gets my vote. Very nice dhaba theme but in an up-market way. One of the best chicken, meat and fish dishes that i ever sampled. Cooked to near north indian style perfection.

Must dishes to order are Dabha Murg, Chicken Tawa, Mutton Tawa, Fish Tawa ( Please don't think i am tawa fanatic). And, their Meat Roganjosh is to die for. Their Dal Makhani is as near NI style perfection as it is possible.

I usually prefer the Paan biryan rather than the Hyderabadi Dum Biryani, fantastic stuff. Dishes are priced in the range of Rs.160-Rs.225. Veg in range of Rs.120-Rs.160. All these listed out in a menu which is like a newspaper ( quite unique, i must add)

Rating : 3/5

Reshmi's

Another favorite haunt of mine. It is opposite to Nanking in Secunderabad. A very homely place and i am frequenting this place for over 2 years and have been experimenting with each of their dish on the menu and i am yet to complain.

It is run by a punjabi couple and has a lovely homely atmosphere to the resturant's ambience and the food is scrumptious to say the least.

My favorite dishes here are Chicken Drumsticks, Tandoori Chicken, Veg Cheese Balls, Reshmi Special chicken, Kheema Biryani.

Pricing is extremely reasonable and they range between Rs.90 to Rs.150 per dish

3.5/5

South Indian

"Chutneys" is undoubtedly one of the best when it comes to south indian dishes, I would rate "Minerva" as second best in this category. Both are slightly expensive by hyderabad standards. To give an example. A dosa would cost upwards of Rs.75 and Idli's are priced around Rs.45.

Rating 2.5/5

Chinese
My all time favorite is "Mings Court" at Basheerbagh. I have tried chinese in almost all popular chinese restuarants but, somehow i still like this restuarant the best. Prices are in range of Rs.160-Rs.250 per dish
Rating: 3.5/5

Haleem
How can i complete this post without atleast mentioning about Haleem which is the current flavour of the season. This dish is made of wheat and mutton. They both are grounded together and pounded for over 6 hours in a hot tandoor so it is ready by the time people complete their roza in the evening. My favorites are Pista House, Hyline, Naigara, Garden, Paradise.

I have a lot more restuarants to pour in my feedback as eating happens to be one of my favorite past time and i must have visited almost 75% of well-known restuarants in the city already. But, let this thread take it's own shape

Ok, guys, please pour in your experiences of favorite places to grab a bite in Hyderabad/Secunderabad and why?
Old 11th September 2009, 11:58   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
There is a place called Chinese Pavilion on Road No.1, opposite Vengala Rao Park, a short distance before GVK One while coming from the Nagarjuna Circle side.

Doesn't seem to be a very well known place and rarely crowded, maybe because there's no bar, but pretty good food.
I can vouch for this place. Although the ambience sucks, their food it pretty good, specially their sea food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I have never heard of Wonton.

Can someone point me to Wonton?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
wontons -gachibowli (premises on top of domino's )
shanghai chef- (premises on top of big c mobile showroom next to hyderabad house)

although my favourite joints for chinese have always been aromas of china and mainland china.

p.s:- if you like momo's ,there is this place called pumpkins in madhapur ,for inr 40 (10 pieces of steamed chicken momo's)
@Avi, I think Punjabi by nature is "all show, no go". I've never been to it and after reading your professional criticism, I dont think i will ever go there.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:18   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
How come you have not tasted biryani in Bawarchi near Rtc X roads really good
Sirji, I am eating at Bawarchi ever since it opened when Sunil Shetty was a partner in those days. Considering it is about a km from my home, i go there every now and then and i agree they serve good biryani. Their quality had dipped in between but since last couple of years they are back on track.

Quote:
@Avi, I think Punjabi by nature is "all show, no go". I've never been to it and after reading your professional criticism, I dont think i will ever go there.
Truly, waste of money. Chicken 65 ( only bones no meat), Meat Kebabs ( one of the most bland pieces of crap), tandoori chicken ( never seen TC made like this, small pieces and so horrible i'd rather not waste my breathe describing them)

Maincourse, was Fish Masala, it was just about decent. Chicken gravy something, only bloody bones and you need to hunt for a meaty piece.

As a lover of good food, maybe my expectation was bit high. Overall, i was not satisfied. I later on kicked myself that why i didnt go to Barbeque Nation but i never knew my folks will select buffet spread since i had gone with ala carte in mind
Old 12th September 2009, 09:30   #984
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening been to the "FUN ZONE" in GVK ONE Mall. It is quite a nice place and we blew up over Rs.1K only on the kid games, scary house etc. Each game is 2 coins ( 1 coin = Rs.10) and 2 coins will get you 2 mins of a game

After exhausting all the coins thought of filling in the tummies. So we headed to the Polynation Food Court on the 3rd floor of GVK One Mall.

And, this is what we picked and chose from different counters of the food court

1. Meat Sheek Kebabs Roll & Paneer Sheek Kebabs Roll from Kebabwalla ( Rs.190)
2. 2 Pizzas from Polito's ( Rs.350)
3. Gobi Parthas and Coke from Indochat ( Rs.140)
4. Pennetia Pasta with Garlic Bread from Deli 9( Rs.140)
5. Frozen Strawberry Youghurts from Berry Cool, each is Rs.115 for a meagre quantity ( Rs.345)

Total : ~ Rs.1200

Meat Sheek Kebab is mindblowing. If you like spicy, this is one of the best Sheek Kebab Rolls i ever had. Paneer Roll was just about OK.

Pizzas were not that good ( My sis liked it though)

Gobi Paratha was bland and tasteless

Pennetia Pasta was really good and spicy just how i like it

Best of the entire lot is the frozen youghurt, super duper yummy. But the quantity is horrifying as each yoghurt is not even enough for one person

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th September 2009 at 09:32.
Old 12th September 2009, 09:42   #985
Senior - BHPian

avi, you dint like food in zaafran exotica ? I thought it was pretty good, or maybe the ambience made the food taste a lot better
Old 12th September 2009, 16:11   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
avi, you dint like food in zaafran exotica ? I thought it was pretty good, or maybe the ambience made the food taste a lot better
When did i say i didnt like the food in Zafraan Exotica? I like the food and love the ambience even more. Only thing i dont like about them is serving High BP along with the bill
Old 12th September 2009, 17:20   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When did i say i didnt like the food in Zafraan Exotica? I like the food and love the ambience even more. Only thing i dont like about them is serving High BP along with the bill
Ala carte is damn expensive.
The buffet if i remember right is 300 bucks and the food is good in the buffet too. We should have a tbhp meet there once.
Old 13th September 2009, 11:10   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Ala carte is damn expensive.
The buffet if i remember right is 300 bucks and the food is good in the buffet too. We should have a tbhp meet there once.
Well, they fall in the Rs.225 minimum/ plate type hotel so it certainly is expensive. But, i doubt you will get Rs.300 for buffet for dinner. For lunch, yes it could be possible.

Btw, had haleem at Shadab, Madina last evening. I vote it as the best haleem that i had till now.

I need to try Sarvi since i havent tasted it yet. I have a feeling it could be a tie between them
Old 13th September 2009, 14:27   #989
Senior - BHPian

Best haleem

A few of the Hydeez did a survey of the haleem being served and the verdict is out. The best haleem:

1. Shahdaab, High Court Rd. - cannot miss it because of the traffic jam in front of it!

2. Nayaab - Just before Madina junction on road to charminar; (tied for 2nd)

3. Shah Ghouse - Main Srisailam road, Shah Ali Banda,(about 1 km after Charminar); (tied for 2nd)

4. Hy-line, King Kothi;

5. Sarvi, Mehdipatnam.

Best phirni & best khubani ka meeta = The keshar phirni sold outside Shahdaab by the guys from Royal sweet house

Best biryani - Banne Nawab in the food court opp. RTO, Mehdipatnam.

N.B. These results hold good only for this year. The haleem ustads are notoriously fickle and there is fierce bidding between rest. owners to snag the best ustaad for the season. So next year it could be some other place(s) that could be the best. The quality of the Haleem and its taste depends on the chemistry between the owner/manager and the Ustaad. The end product is a result of the restraurants traditional practice(s) and the Ustaad's skill.

Cheers,
Old 13th September 2009, 19:13   #990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
A few of the Hydeez did a survey of the haleem being served and the verdict is out. The best haleem:

1. Shahdaab, High Court Rd. - cannot miss it because of the traffic jam in front of it!

2. Nayaab - Just before Madina junction on road to charminar; (tied for 2nd)

3. Shah Ghouse - Main Srisailam road, Shah Ali Banda,(about 1 km after Charminar); (tied for 2nd)

4. Hy-line, King Kothi;

5. Sarvi, Mehdipatnam.

Best phirni & best khubani ka meeta = The keshar phirni sold outside Shahdaab by the guys from Royal sweet house

Best biryani - Banne Nawab in the food court opp. RTO, Mehdipatnam.
Had 3 out of this 5 list. I am not keen to try Nayab. So will settle for Sarvi as my next in line of Haleem wish list.

I loved Hyline too. Smooth,flavory, ghee laden

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks