Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 00:25   #5551
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
... is there any other place in India which serves such large quantity per meal as you get in Hyderabad, ...
Almost every small town has eateries frequented by rural folk. These eateries serve enormous quantities simply because the clientele expect AYCE deals - unlimited meals. Sambhar-rice usually, rice shoveled (with an aluminium dinner plate) into a mountain on a banana leaf, customer pushes his fist into the mountain to make a well, server pours (aluminium) mug-full of Sambhar into the well, eat, repeat ...

In Rajasthan, Haryana and Western UP, one comes across Vaishnav Bhojanalays. Small unpretentious eateries for simple unpretentious folk. Pure vegetarian fare, simple homely dishes, unlimited phulkas. I remember once having eaten maybe 18 phulkas in a sitting in one of them (a long time back! I can't eat more than 4 now ). I was inspired by guys eating 24!

But non-veg stuff in such proportions? Never.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:45   #5552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Till recently? Do you mean to say chilli powder is not used any more?
goddu karam is normal chilli powder spiced up with garlic. They stopped using goddu karam regularly now.

Quote:
I never knew of Telangana cuisine. But, your explanation didn't bring out the unique characteristics of the 2 cuisines clearly.
yes, I agree. My knowledge of Telangana cuisine is not extensive. Whatever I tried out in Telangana food festivals in Hyderabad tasted the same as Andhra or Rayalaseema food, except for some variation in recipes.

Quote:
Please don't be offended, but due to the 'popularity' of the Rayalaseema cuisine perhaps, 'AP' cuisine was unjustly lampooned in Madras: every AP person have a voracious appetite for dry red chillies, till they fall ill with stomach ulcers by mid-40's, and ultimately queue up at Madras General Hospital to get treated. Again, this was what I had heard in Madras 30 years back.
Couldn't agree with you more. All my doctor friends point out that stomach ulcers and stomach cancers are more prevalent in A.P. than rest of India.
Old 9th May 2013, 11:32   #5553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
goddu karam is normal chilli powder spiced up with garlic. ...
Thanks. That sounds vaguely similar to the masala powder used in Vada Pao. Of course in that spiciness is moderated by grated copra.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:56   #5554
BHPian

Not sure how much you agree on this but i think most of the difference is in the use of Chilli. Telangana/rayalseem dishes use Greenchilli paste and the Andhra dishes make more use of Redchilli powder
Old 9th May 2013, 13:05   #5555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. That sounds vaguely similar to the masala powder used in Vada Pao. Of course in that spiciness is moderated by grated copra.
If iam not wrong, Goddu Karam is a paste unlike the powder that is used in Vada Pao.

Nag hails from Chilli District (Guntur) so he can correct me if iam wrong

Last evening, had a meal at Mega City, Basheerbagh

Me and wifey wiped out the following dishes :-

Peanut Masala ( Her favorite)
Veg Shangai Rolls ( Lovely)
Chilly Mushroom ( Again Lovely)
1.5 Bowls of Sambhar Rice which was laden with abundance of ghee and pickle is served with it

Star of the evening was "Red Chilly Mutton" which is as we are discussing now. Spicy, Hot, Chewy, Soft, Marinated really well and tasted very close ot my favorite spicy mutton dish "Kakatiya Mutton Fry"

Its worth a try for people who like spicy boneless mutton fry.

Sambhar Rice is so addictive. I have now decided to put a cap on when I will eat it next. Minimum 2 months
Old 9th May 2013, 17:48   #5556
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts. But, since nobody seems to bother keeping this thread updated with their foodie experiences, I have a pressure on me to do the same

Last saturday, had a small party at my home on occasion of Rajesh Rawal's anniversary. He got take-away from "Hadippa" in Kondapur

Each and every dish was quite good but, star of the evening was their new dish on the menu "Buffalo Wings"

Great Place for desi tadka indian food

Chicken Wings. Star of the evening. it was simply superb

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-wings.jpg

Spl Tandoori Chicken which has always been main attraction of Haddipa

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-tandoori.jpg

Pepper Chicken had a tad of too much pepper in it

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-pepper-chicken.jpg

Paneer Tikka and Mushrooms were delectable

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-veg.jpg

This is the famous readymade aam ras from "Sri Radhe"

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-mango.jpg
Old 9th May 2013, 19:04   #5557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If iam not wrong, Goddu Karam is a paste unlike the powder that is used in Vada Pao.
Nope Goddu Karam is just plain chilli powder. Essentially all Karams are powder type. Paste is pacchadi

There another type called Sambar Karam (maybe called with other names as well not sure) which has garlic added. The preparation procedure is very difficult for that but it tastes like heaven. Aroma of it can be felt from a long distance too.
Old 9th May 2013, 20:57   #5558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
There another type called Sambar Karam (maybe called with other names as well not sure) which has garlic added. The preparation procedure is very difficult for that but it tastes like heaven.
This is typically used to season the "fry" dishes (bendi fry, brinjal fry etc) whereas the original karam is used in cooking dal/sambar/"pulusu" etc.
Old 10th May 2013, 16:32   #5559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
I'll be in Hyderabad for a day starting at 5am from Kacheguda railway station and ending at 8:30pm back at Kacheguda, visiting Gachibowli and Madhapur in between.
Well, I had a packed day, but didn't really enjoy it as much as I would have liked. Had Nahari Paya at Shah Ghouse in Tolichowki and it was nothing like the ones available in Old Delhi (Haji Noora, Karim's etc.). It was more like Paya Soup. Good paya soup, but not what I wanted. Hygiene was sorely lacking. There was a cockroach crawling around on the dining table!

Lunch was at Hyderabad House in Madhapur and I think Paradise is better for Mutton Biriyani!

For dinner, I went to Bade Miyan in Somajiguda, but unfortunately, there was no pathar ka gosht available ( only on weekends). Picked up chicken malai and seekh kabab. They were very tender and juicy, but again not what I wanted.

Are there any other restaurants serving pathar ka gosht? I'll try going there the next time, as it is unlikely I will be in Hyderabad on a weekend to make it to Bade Miyan.
Old 10th May 2013, 17:29   #5560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
Lunch was at Hyderabad House in Madhapur and I think Paradise is better for Mutton Biriyani!

Are there any other restaurants serving pathar ka gosht? I'll try going there the next time, as it is unlikely I will be in Hyderabad on a weekend to make it to Bade Miyan.
Hyderabad House is a now considered as a derelict place and not to be frequented even if that's the last restuarant in Hyderabad

Paradise Biryani is best in town. Undoubtedly !!!

Pathar Ka Ghosth is available at following places :-

1. Mandar (Daily). This is a Toli Chowki near to Hitec City

2. Hotel Golconda. Masab Tank. Expensive Place but, great mughlai cuisine
Old 11th May 2013, 13:05   #5561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Pathar Ka Ghosth is available at following places :-

1. Mandar (Daily). This is a Toli Chowki near to Hitec City

2. Hotel Golconda. Masab Tank. Expensive Place but, great mughlai cuisine
Sarvi on Road No. 11 in Banjara Hills, opposite Care Hospital on Road No. 1, is the perfect match between quality and price, a real VFM.

They have Pathar Ka Gosht only in dine-in but you can always get it packed.

They also have excellent biryani and superb tandoori dishes.

However, keep away from their soups and non tandoori and non Hyderabadi food.
Old 11th May 2013, 13:45   #5562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Not sure how much you agree on this but i think most of the difference is in the use of Chilli. Telangana/rayalseem dishes use Greenchilli paste and the Andhra dishes make more use of Redchilli powder
Phenonix, good to meet you today and nice that we spent over an hour chatting about various things including foodie subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
They have Pathar Ka Gosht only in dine-in but you can always get it packed.
Bajaj Saab, PKG is very expensive at Sarvi. I think it is 350 or 400 a plate. Not sure if iam entirely correct. Someone who ordered please clarify.

Never tried Sarvi Biryani. Could you please describe how its different from Paradise? I can go with set expectations then

P.S: Btw, Yesterday after a long time took away Mutton Sheek Kebab (Rs.85) and Mutton Boti Kebab (Rs.90) from Bade Miyan Kebab, Tank Bund for Dinner. Along with 3 of their Maida Rotis ( Rs.8 each). Excellent stuff as usual. Light, Flavour full and perfect for a light dinner.

Last edited by mobike008 : 11th May 2013 at 13:47.
Old 11th May 2013, 16:13   #5563
Team-BHP Support

Mobike boneless mutton used for pkg is priced around 500 a kilo.

That might explain the high prices at quality restaurants.
Old 11th May 2013, 17:45   #5564
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the buffet lunch at Red Fox? That hotel is located on one part of the Lemon Tree hotel building at Hitec City.

My wife had a class there yesterday, and she says the buffet is very decent. I believe if more than 12 persons go in a group, the price is only Rs 350 per head!
Old 11th May 2013, 17:58   #5565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Has anyone tried the buffet lunch at Red Fox? That hotel is located on one part of the Lemon Tree hotel building at Hitec City.
Had the opportunity to try out buffet lunch at both Red Fox and Lemon Tree when we had to stay there for two days due to business contingency requirements at office. The spread at Lemon Tree is better when compared to Red Fox. The taste at both places was good but not so much that you would want to come back again. This was my experience nearly 2 years back. Not sure about the current status.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks