Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 13:57   #601

If you dont mind watching non-English movies with subtitles, look for Suspect X. It is a japanese movie with English subtitles and features a murder mystery and a struggle between a mathematician and a physicist. The mathematician is trying to cover up a murder and the physicist will try to find out who is responsible for the murder.
It is a very interesting movie - courtesy of Air France. I watched it while travelling from US to Bangalore.
(Yôgisha X no kenshin (2008))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes I have seen Mackenna's Gold couple of times.

It is one of the all time Gregory Peck Classic hit movies.
Since we are on the topic of Gregory Peck, I suggest watching "To kill a mocking bird" as well. It is an amazing movie drama.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2009 at 14:13. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 18th June 2009, 14:26   #602
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by int3 View Post

Since we are on the topic of Gregory Peck, I suggest watching "To kill a mocking bird" as well. It is an amazing movie drama.
You bet! I consider this a better movie of Peck than MG. MG is more of an adventure and I feel Omar Sherrif got more limelight in the movie than Peck.

Has anyone read the book on the mocking bird? It is written from a young girl's perspective and is an absolute delight. Though the movie is again told from the girl's narrative, to me its another case of book being better than the movie
Old 18th June 2009, 15:15   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Saw American Psycho last night.....Excellent movie.
Am still wondering whether the events that took place in the movie were real or just a part of his imagination/dreams ?
The events in the movie were his imagination. A nice movie but a little slow for a psycho movie.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:01   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a classic last night. The Party. It was truly wonderful to see it again.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-theparty.jpg

The subtle and physical comedy were really special. The Party has provided so many inspirations, right from the awful Indian accent Peter Sellers (playing an AWFUL actor from India called Hrundi V. Bakshi) has and the outstanding humour. Not to mention the world's first foam party!!

His character is truly sweet and funny. Some moments in the movie are memorable for a lifetime.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-theparty.jpg
Hrundi Bakshi: Birdie num-num. BIRDIE NUM-NUM. NUM-NUM! Numm Numm. Pukk pukk pukkakk. Num-num.

I fell over the sofa laughing. It had been many years since I saw that. I must add that Jenny however did not enjoy the movie at ALL.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 18th June 2009 at 16:04.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:09   #605
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this movie last year or so on some channel & I too didnt like it.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:11   #606
Team-BHP Support

I like that movie is parts.

The shoe is the water sequence is copied in the Big B movie.

I love the beginning. When he just does not die.
Old 18th June 2009, 16:21   #607
BHPian

i too liked "the party" a lot i remember enjoying it as a kid and when I saw it a few months back, i still found it really funny after all these years
Old 18th June 2009, 18:45   #608
Senior - BHPian

Oh I just saw this incredible movie called The Prestige.
10/10. It was the best movie I've seen in a really really long time.

Old 18th June 2009, 19:31   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Oh I just saw this incredible movie called The Prestige.
10/10. It was the best movie I've seen in a really really long time.
I mentioned this movie in a post a few weeks back. Indeed this Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman movie was excellent. I watched the Illusionist on recommendation of a fellow TBHPian in this thread but having seen The Prestige beforehand I had a sense of Deja Vu.

Continuing with Christian Bale, I just finished watching 3:10 to Yuma. Man, this actor just refuses to be typecast. Here he is in a Western now. A very good one at that. The meatier role of an outlaw in this flick is essayed by Russel Crowe with aplomb. But Bale's upright rancher is more complex and nuanced. Finally, I simply loved Ben Foster (first time I've seen him) playing the role of Charlie, the main sidekick of the outlaw.

@ Hydrashock: Strongly recommended for your pa.
Old 18th June 2009, 21:13   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
... I just finished watching 3:10 to Yuma. ..
@ Hydrashock: Strongly recommended for your pa.
Yep, 3:10 to Yuma is indeed one of the best westerns to come out in the last few years. Dad & I have watched the 2007 one and the 1957 original too. Both are really nice movies. The 2007 version has mush better visuals but the 1957 version is more intense and more focused on the play of power/control between the Rancher & the Outlaw. You should catch the 1957 version too.

Speaking about westerns, one of the other "modern" westerns that I'd rate highly is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Brad Pitt (esp. Brad Pitt) & Casey Affleck do a great job! And the cinematography itself makes the movie worth a watch. The movie is a bit long, but you really don't notice till the end. I'd rate this movie just below Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven and Kevin Costner's Dances with Wolves.
Old 18th June 2009, 21:32   #611
BHPian

just saw the movie "the odessa file" The Odessa File (1974)
I quite liked the movie and the storyline - Jon Voight played the role well and I also liked Mary Tamm
I would rate the movie 4/5
Old 18th June 2009, 21:40   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Yep, 3:10 to Yuma is indeed one of the best westerns to come out in the last few years. Dad & I have watched the 2007 one and the 1957 original too. Both are really nice movies. The 2007 version has mush better visuals but the 1957 version is more intense and more focused on the play of power/control between the Rancher & the Outlaw. You should catch the 1957 version too.

Speaking about westerns, one of the other "modern" westerns that I'd rate highly is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Brad Pitt (esp. Brad Pitt) & Casey Affleck do a great job! And the cinematography itself makes the movie worth a watch. The movie is a bit long, but you really don't notice till the end. I'd rate this movie just below Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven and Kevin Costner's Dances with Wolves.
Thanks, I have watched each one of those except 3:10 ... 1957 version. I somewhere mentioned The Assassination ... in one of my earliest posts in this thread.

Is the 1957 Yuma available for download you-know-where?
Old 18th June 2009, 22:08   #613
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, any reviews of the new X-men movie and Angels and Demons?
Old 18th June 2009, 22:19   #614
Senior - BHPian

Saw Terminator Salvation! A good one time watch which stretches a bit in the end ! Never the less a good see!
Old 18th June 2009, 22:25   #615
Senior - BHPian

^^ wow that was quick. Worth watching in the hall or a DVD types?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks