Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 16:31   #796
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yep that was "Ek Ruka Hua Faisla" which is a brilliant movie. I have been trying to source 12 angry men without any success :(
This was a made for TV movie, a new concept in India when it was made in 1986. And yes, I saw it when they first showed it on TV at that time. Since we had only one TV channel then, we rarely missed any movie on TV. Brilliantly made movie, except it was a little strange since India doesn't really have Jury system.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:35   #797
Team-BHP Support

Rancid (2004)

Definitely viewable atleast once.

For some reason I found the camera work very interesting. Esp the way it would zoom out and in.

The story runs in two timelines,
One is the present and the other where the past is catching up with the present.
Someone is dead and a guy is running from the police.
He had an affair in college. The woman is now married to a bad man.
They meet. The bad guy feels offended so has the guy's place busted.
The guy gets back at him by smashing his car.

The lady gives him an idea. why not kill the bad guy.
Now someone is dead.
The guy's friend is a cop. Does he help him find the real killers. Or is there any killer at all.

4/5

The acting is a bit of a let down.
Although I like the cop friend's part.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:41   #798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This was a made for TV movie, a new concept in India when it was made in 1986. And yes, I saw it when they first showed it on TV at that time. Since we had only one TV channel then, we rarely missed any movie on TV. Brilliantly made movie, except it was a little strange since India doesn't really have Jury system.
It was removed in the 1960's from India and Pakistan.
Jury trial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I love reading John Grisham. Most of his books deal with legal fiction and a jury is part and parcel of the books.

He has written one Non fiction:
The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I rate that as his best.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:43   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Brilliantly made movie, except it was a little strange since India doesn't really have Jury system.
Well India did have a Jury system which got scraped after the Nanavati case in 1959

Quote:
Juries were formerly used in India up until the famous K. M. Nanavati vs. State of Maharashtra, which led to the abolition of jury trials, although minor issues in rural areas are still handled by the panchayat raj system of village assemblies.

In the 1959 Nanavati case, Kawas Manekshaw Nanavati was tried for the murder of his wife Sylvia's paramour, Prem Ahuja. The incident shocked the nation, got unprecedented media coverage, and inspired several books and movies. The case was the last jury trial held in India. The central question of the case was whether the gun went off accidentally or whether it was a premeditated murder.

In the former scenario, Nanavati would be charged under the Indian penal code, for culpable homicide, with a maximum punishment of 10 years. In the latter, he would be charged with murder, with the sentence being death or life imprisonment. Nanavati pleaded not guilty. His defence team argued it was a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder, while the prosecution argued it was premeditated murder.

The jury in the Greater Bombay sessions court pronounced Nanavati not guilty with an 8–1 verdict. The sessions judge considered the acquittal as perverse and referred the case to the high court. The prosecution argued that the jury had been misled by the presiding judge on four crucial points. One, the onus of proving that it was an accident and not premeditated murder was on Nanavati. Two, was Sylvia's confession of the grave provocation for Nanavati, or any specific incident in Ahuja's bedroom or both. Three, the judge wrongly told the jury that the provocation can also come from a third person. And four, the jury was not instructed that Nanavati's defence had to be proved, to the extent that there is no reasonable doubt in the mind of a reasonable person. The court accepted the arguments, dismissed the jury's verdict and the case was freshly heard in the high court. Since the jury had also been influenced by media and public support for Nanavati and was also open to being misled, the Indian government abolished jury trials after the case.
Source

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2009 at 16:44.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:34   #800
BHPian

Have these 4 movies lined up for the weekend.

1. Thief of Bagdad - 1940 (Genre Fantasy) ... and Yes its Bagdad not Baghdad
* Indian Actor Sabu

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-thief-bagdad.jpg

2. The Philadelphia Story - 1940 (Genre Comedy)
* Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-philly.jpg

3. Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man - 1951 (Genre Comedy)
* Bud Abbott & Lou Costello

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-invisible.jpg

4. What's New Pussycat? - 1965 (Genre Comedy... Actually one of the first _ex comedies written by Woody Allen)
* Peter Sellers, Peter O'Toole

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-whats-new-pussycat.jpg

Want to sit with Dad and watch these movies. He will really cherish the movies he grew up on.
Old 24th July 2009, 21:01   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
OK, now let me know, which should be the next - One Flew over Cuckoo's nest/ Taxi Driver/From here to eternity/I'm Sam/Road to perdition/Scarface/Once upon a time in America/12 angry men.
Out of these movies,i watched Taxi driver,Road to Perdition and scarface last week.
IMO Road to Perdition was the best movie of these 3.Tom Hanks is just superb.I really enjoyed it.My Rating 4.5/5.
Taxi drivers promised so much for 1st 60-75min but the climax was not great.But only for Robert Di Niro's acting i would give it 3.5/5.
Scarface had some great reviews but i dint like the storyline that much but i would give it 3/5 just for Al Pacino.

Other movies i would love to recommend are Fargo,The departed,Unforgiven,Blow,Goodfellas,Reservoir Dogs,Das Leben der Anderen,A Clockwork Orange,The Last King Of Scotland,The Usual Suspect etc.
Fargo and Blow are based on true stories and i would give 4.5/5

BTW i also saw Mongol and Suspect X and found these very good movies as said by fellow members.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 24th July 2009 at 21:12.
Old 24th July 2009, 21:31   #802
BHPian

Watched "MILLION DOLLAR BABY" starring Clint Eastwood and Hillary Swank. Very touchy (emotional) movie and fast paced. It is an oscar award winning movie. Must watch. Rating 4.5/5.

watched "DEATH RACE". Good timepass movie 3/5.

watched "BEETHOVEN 1 & 2". Must watch for people who love pets. Amazing Saint Bernards (My favourite breed). Rating 3.5/5

Also watched "THE GOOD BAD & UGLY". Have seen it may atimes. Everytime i see it i feel i am seeing it for the first time. Rating 5/5

Also watched Alpocalypto Rating 5/5. Watch it to belive it,

Movies lined up for this week -
1. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (Oscar award winner)
2. BODY OF LIES
Old 24th July 2009, 21:45   #803
BHPian

Planning to watch Stay alive, Fight club and The Hitcher this weekend.
Old 24th July 2009, 23:03   #804
Senior - BHPian

"Is he guilty or Not guilty" oh man what an movie.. Loved it.
BTW recently watched Ratatouille, that was an awesome movie also. I love animations.
Old 25th July 2009, 10:44   #805
Senior - BHPian

Folks who liked 12 Angry Men will like The Ox-Bow Incident.

Peter Fonda stars in this movie too. The movie is a Western (B&W), made in the mid 40s. The situation is similar, only instead of a jury, an angry & out-of-control lynch mob is deciding the fate of two men, who allegedly committed murder: whether to hang them on the spot or set them free. Antony Quinn also stars in the movie as one of the drifters (the shady-looking one). An excellent movie, a must watch.
Old 25th July 2009, 13:47   #806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
How is " National Security" starring Martin Lawrence and Steve Zahn?

I think it came a few times on television too. Seemed funny from what small clips that i managed to see on TV.
I absolutely loved this movie and will rate is almost as good as "Blue Streak". Martin Lawrence at his zaniest and lunatic best. Must watch for ML fans.

4/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Caught the Hangover yesterday and I was laughing all through the movie.

It's a foul mouthed, howlarious, trashy, silly movie but awesome fun.

Verdict - 4/5 - Absolute must watch.
Saw " Hangover" last night at PVR. Absolutely agree with this review, one of the best comedy movies with a brillaint and fresh script seen in a long time.

It would be most enjoyable with a bunch of friends. In fact, i have decided to initiate a movie meet with Hyderabad TBHP guys for this movie next week.

Absolutely Must Watch

4.5/5
Old 27th July 2009, 14:24   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Dont Say a Word" starring Michael Douglas, Sean Bean.

It has a gripping story about a bunch of villains who pull off a diamond heist that goes wrong and location of that diamond is in head of an insane woman who is the daughter of one of the robbers.

Michael who is a physchatrist need to get that info in a time limit from that woman since his daughter is kidnapped by the bad guys.

Gripping and fast paced-movie and good acting by most of the cast.

3.5/5
Old 27th July 2009, 18:13   #808
BANNED

Seen 16 Blocks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rating : 3/5
Old 27th July 2009, 19:35   #809
BHPian

Hi,
A couple of years back I watched a Hollywood movie. I guess it was Brad Pitt who was the hero. The story line goes somewhat like this: It begins with some shepherd buying a gun to protect his sheep and his sons inadvertently shoots an American tourist while sightseeing. The story lines weaves around different occurrences in various parts of world--Japan, Mexico, U.S.A.--before you realize how small incidents in relatively obscure places can have international ramifications.

Can anyone tell me the name of the movie? I completely forgot about it and would like to suggest it to one of my friends. I guess it is in the genre of 'Crash', starring Sandra Bullock.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th July 2009, 19:39   #810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Hi,
A couple of years back I watched a Hollywood movie. I guess it was Brad Pitt who was the hero. The story line goes somewhat like this: It begins with some shepherd buying a gun to protect his sheep and his sons inadvertently shoots an American tourist while sightseeing. The story lines weaves around different occurrences in various parts of world--Japan, Mexico, U.S.A.--before you realize how small incidents in relatively obscure places can have international ramifications.

Can anyone tell me the name of the movie? I completely forgot about it and would like to suggest it to one of my friends. I guess it is in the genre of 'Crash', starring Sandra Bullock.

Thanks in advance.
Babel (2006)

Welcome in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks