Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 15:41   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am a bigflix member since Sep'08. I "always" had a good experience with them. Maybe your friend was unlucky !

Why do you need the Bigflix store location? If your opting for 1-CD plan. You need to send pick-up request and they collect at your doorstep, very promptly.

This pick-up request can be done either on their website or via. SMS. However, a point to remember, if you want a new DVD delivered next day, this request has to go through before Midnight.
+1 to that. Even I'm a member from 2008 and never had a bad experience. 70MM is not present in all the cities. A friend of mine had taken their 6 month subscription but he kind of stopped using for 30 days and then when he wanted to use again, learnt that they had withdrawn from Hyderabad.

So his deposit and his subscription fees is still with 70MM.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:16   #1907
BHPian

Sin City is based on the comics, and the narrative is also similar. Its a good movie if you are a comic lover. Even i watched it recently.

I watched A perfect Getaway, the trailer promised to be a good ride, but ended up disappointing. Its about a honeymoon couple who plan to go on an Island trip, i do not want to reveal further as it might become a spoiler. Better to avoid this movie.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:24   #1908
Team-BHP Support

If gore troubles you, then you may avoid sin city. Its a masterpiece, but just like Kill bill, too much blood can be put off for some.
Old 15th March 2010, 17:56   #1909
BHPian

Sin City is a really good movie- dark, pacy, gory and decnt performances. If you like it, you may also want to check out Frank Miller's The Spirit. This one has the same production values, but doesn't hold a candle to Sin City IMO.

Armored: A group of security guards at a security company plan to steal the money in armored vehicles. It, of course, goes wrong. Decent enough movie, without being remarkable in any way. Predictable, sticks to the formula and you get exactly what you expect. Good star cast including Matt Dillon, Lawrence Fishburne. Middle of the road movie, middle of the road rating. 2.5/5

Ferris Bueller's Day off: Another in the same mould as above, but this one is a comedy. Ferris Bueller is a clever kid who plays hookey from school and has a day out on the town with his friend Cameron and girlfriend (Sloane?). The dean of student wants to catch him in the act and follows him, unfortunately for him. Good, feel good comedy, will have you chuckling a few times. Starring Mathew Broderick, Mia Sara, Jennifer Grey, Charlie Sheen (small role) and a stunning Ferrari 250GT California. Catch it with the family and enjoy a few laughs together. 3.5/5
Old 15th March 2010, 18:42   #1910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Ferris Bueller's Day off: Another in the same mould as above, but this one is a comedy. Ferris Bueller is a clever kid who plays hookey from school and has a day out on the town with his friend Cameron and girlfriend (Sloane?). The dean of student wants to catch him in the act and follows him, unfortunately for him. Good, feel good comedy, will have you chuckling a few times. Starring Mathew Broderick, Mia Sara, Jennifer Grey, Charlie Sheen (small role) and a stunning Ferrari 250GT California. Catch it with the family and enjoy a few laughs together. 3.5/5
This used to be one of my favorite movies growing up, i had the VHS Video Tape of it. Vaguely remember a dialogue from the movie

"Life moves fast, if you don't stop and look around you might miss it" Ferris Buller
Old 15th March 2010, 19:02   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Watched Dirty Harry Day before yesterday.
Easily the best of the Harry series.
Clint Eastwood is hand's down the coolest actor in the world!
The ease with which he carries his character is mind blowing.
its about a crazed serial killer demanding the City of San Fransisco 200,000 dollars to stop his killing spree.
my Rating 4.5/5

a small quote which i loved from the movie

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"
-Inspector Harry.
Old 16th March 2010, 06:15   #1912
BHPian

Watched Sherlock Holmes yesterday.Seriously one awesome movie.Downey jr is just too good.

Rating-4.5/5
Old 16th March 2010, 11:17   #1913
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Mullholand Drive

Watched the movie last night. Couldn't understand the movie in one go. Raked my head for an hour. The plot seemed more and more confusing. Finally, formulated a likely theme but still was not convinced. To heck with it. Surfed the net to see few more theories. Most of them seemed to be on similar lines but one will never know what exactly David Lynch was trying to portray.

Ok, here's my version of it.

Diane (Naomi Watts) and Camilla (Laura Harring) are friends, lovers and wannabe actresses. Camilla starts getting successful thus triggering jealousy between the two. To make matters worse, she starts getting roles meant for Diane. Thus Diane loses her love, friendship, career and trust. So, Diane hires a hooligan to get rid of Camilla. Once done, Diane starts feeling guilty and her conscience starts haunting her.

The above part is brutal reality showed only in the last 30 mins of the movie. Don't believe it? Haha

What happens in the first 2 hours? After she gives supaari to the hooligan, Betty (Diane becomes Betty in the dream) goes to sleep and dreams. She dreams that she is a perfect actress embarking upon a great career, dreams about a great friendship with Rita (Camiila becomes Rita), dreams that all is rosy and green. All this happens in the first 2 hours.

Ooof! What a complication! No part of the movie makes sense unless and until digged deep into. And once you do that, you can do nothing but admire the brilliance of David Lynch. Who says movies have to be straight forward. Let the audience think, says David Lynch.

Not many will like it first time. But when you get all patches together to form the puzzle, this makes for a brilliant watch.

Laura Harring is stunning. Naomi Watts is brilliant in her role. I wonder why both of them did not do many movies.

Rating - 4/5
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bmtmwmty0nzk3m15bml5banbnxkftztcwmjqwmtmzmq._v1._sx334_sy475_.jpg  

Old 16th March 2010, 12:13   #1914
BHPian

Guys anyone watched Alice in Wonderland? How is it?
Old 16th March 2010, 12:32   #1915
BHPian

Guys, check out "After Hours" (1985) and "Miracle Mile" (1988). These two movies have a surreal feel to them. Liked the way the 80s Manhattan/LA downtown nightlife is portrayed in these movies.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:36   #1916
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " The Score" starring heavy stalwarts like Robert DeNiro, Marlon Brando and Edward Norton

Its about a heist wherein they are trying to steal a sceptre from customs house in Montreal. Its about egos, double crossing as part of the heist program.

I didnt like anyone. All of them looked bored and going through the motions as if they were being pushed with a barge pole...LOL

The great Marlon practically wheezed through the movie.

Its slow and quite boring to a maximum length and final moments get really exciting and is worth it only for that last 20 mins.

P.S: Edward acts like an autistic in this movie and he did a better job than our superstar

2/5
Old 16th March 2010, 15:58   #1917
BHPian

saw Hachiko: A dog's story (Hachiko: A Dog's Story (2009)) - touching true story on the loyalty of dogs - 4/5
Old 16th March 2010, 18:16   #1918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Watched the movie last night. Couldn't understand the movie in one go. Raked my head for an hour. The plot seemed more and more confusing. Finally, formulated a likely theme but still was not convinced. To heck with it. Surfed the net to see few more theories. Most of them seemed to be on similar lines but one will never know what exactly David Lynch was trying to portray.

Ok, here's my version of it.

Diane (Naomi Watts) and Camilla (Laura Harring) are friends, lovers and wannabe actresses. Camilla starts getting successful thus triggering jealousy between the two. To make matters worse, she starts getting roles meant for Diane. Thus Diane loses her love, friendship, career and trust. So, Diane hires a hooligan to get rid of Camilla. Once done, Diane starts feeling guilty and her conscience starts haunting her.

The above part is brutal reality showed only in the last 30 mins of the movie. Don't believe it? Haha

What happens in the first 2 hours? After she gives supaari to the hooligan, Betty (Diane becomes Betty in the dream) goes to sleep and dreams. She dreams that she is a perfect actress embarking upon a great career, dreams about a great friendship with Rita (Camiila becomes Rita), dreams that all is rosy and green. All this happens in the first 2 hours.

Ooof! What a complication! No part of the movie makes sense unless and until digged deep into. And once you do that, you can do nothing but admire the brilliance of David Lynch. Who says movies have to be straight forward. Let the audience think, says David Lynch.

Not many will like it first time. But when you get all patches together to form the puzzle, this makes for a brilliant watch.

Laura Harring is stunning. Naomi Watts is brilliant in her role. I wonder why both of them did not do many movies.

Rating - 4/5
I agree with you. Your take on the movie is spot on.
You have to watch it in full, otherwise you will get lost.

There are many small things/people who symbolize Diane's emotions/character/fears all over the movie.

I had to watch it twice to get the whole movie. More time you watch it, more you will appreciate the beauty. Plot is quite twisted.
Brilliant movie overall.
Old 16th March 2010, 18:22   #1919
BHPian

Watched ' A Few good men' last weekend. Awesome performance from Tom Cruise, Demi Moore and Jack Nicholson. The courtroom scene was mindblowing. No wonder the dialogue 'You can't handle the truth' became so famous.
Old 16th March 2010, 20:24   #1920
BHPian

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Watched Tim Burton's Alice in wonderland, twice! I won't go into the plot because most of us would already be familiar with Lewis Carrol's works that this movie is based on.

This movie is a feast for the eyes, with brilliant, brilliant visuals. The 3D part is icing on the cake. Visually, I found this movie to be way better than Avatar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks