Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 20:42   #2086
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Lot of news doing the rounds about Barfi being a copy of ideas from certain films. This video shows that not only were the ideas taken as inspiration, but copied from end to end.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4082625418340

Source: Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/jagmeet.bal

And whoever else, including me, thought Pritam was original this time, this song proves otherwise.

And this we are sending to the Oscars. No doubt I enjoyed Barfi thrice, till someone showed me all these that I started feeling ashamed of having liked a film , that doesnt give credit to the persons, whose ideas were copied.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 25th September 2012 at 20:44.
Old 25th September 2012, 21:09   #2087
Senior - BHPian

Well I dont think Pritam ever did or can compose anything but what I like is that because of him we get listen to tunes most of us would never have

For me he is more like a Music Arranger than a Music Composer. You get to listen to the best of world music adapted for Indian Tastes
Old 25th September 2012, 21:16   #2088
MCR
BHPian

Watched Barfi, since it got nominated for Oscars!

Brilliant acting by RK, the only saving grace in a rather boring movie.
3/5 is my rating.

Was planning to watch Heroine, but the reviews here have definitely saved 500 bucks and most importantly a guaranteed headache!
Old 25th September 2012, 22:53   #2089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Lot of news doing the rounds about Barfi being a copy of ideas from certain films. This video shows that not only were the ideas taken as inspiration, but copied from end to end.

And whoever else, including me, thought Pritam was original this time, this song proves otherwise.

And this we are sending to the Oscars. No doubt I enjoyed Barfi thrice, till someone showed me all these that I started feeling ashamed of having liked a film , that doesnt give credit to the persons, whose ideas were copied.
Don't know if this is but I'll add my views here.

IMO, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Anurag Basu has been saying before the film was released that he has used elements of Chaplin and other comic acts in the film. He repeated that in a recent interview on CNBC TV18 saying that he has been influenced by multiple films and he has cherry-picked specific scenes, though not the whole acts. The context is original even if the shots may not be. I thought that was very honest of him. While this does not pardon the complete copying, it does dampen the belief that he has been trying to do this surreptitiously.

As a whole, the film works for me!

Again, not to condone Pritam (I hate him for lifting complete songs earlier), I can make out only the first few notes of the trumpet that sound similar. The mood of the music and the following notes are completely different. If Pritam has been inspired, he has been inspired very well this time.

A lot of our old classic songs have been inspired by western classics. The key point here is 'inspiration' and not direct lifting. I still love listening to those old songs because although the tunes are similar to other songs, the mood they have created is completely original!

Again, to repeat, I still hate Pritam.

Last edited by nileshch : 25th September 2012 at 22:58.
Old 26th September 2012, 00:24   #2090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
Barfi for Oscars-IMO bad decision.In my opinion Paan Singh Tomar should have gone for it.Not that the Oscars is the last laugh,but nevertheless Barfi's concept,acting or story is nothing new to international viewers while an original script(something that has not been "inspired") like PST would have captured anybody's imagination,just the way Lagaan did.
True! For Indian cinema its a completely new different kind of movie but Hollywood has seen these kind if flicks long time back. Pan singh tomar is a brilliant flick, one of the best I have watched it surely deserved that Oscar nomination. Even Gang of Wasseypur deserved it maybe sue to Barfi's popular star cast the critics decided to pick it!
Old 26th September 2012, 06:04   #2091
Senior - BHPian

I think Kahaani would have been ideal. Its pacy - the feeling is very distinctly Kolkata. the foreigners love this India struggling wala mindset - why did they love Slumdog millionaire? I doubt it wouldve made as much splash if it was a Kandivli (or insert simple middle class area name) Millionaire Kahaani shows the hubbub and the slightly messy nature of Kolkata as well.
Old 26th September 2012, 11:17   #2092
BHPian

here's an interesting video from FB, which shows scenes from different movies that inspired Anurag in Barfi

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=4082625418340
Old 26th September 2012, 11:48   #2093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I think Kahaani would have been ideal. Its pacy - the feeling is very distinctly Kolkata. the foreigners love this India struggling wala mindset - why did they love Slumdog millionaire? I doubt it wouldve made as much splash if it was a Kandivli (or insert simple middle class area name) Millionaire Kahaani shows the hubbub and the slightly messy nature of Kolkata as well.
My vote would have been for Shanghai for the oscars, it depicts real politics. The other movie, a little old and my favourite Manorama six feet under.
Old 29th September 2012, 14:14   #2094
MCR
BHPian

Any of you guys watched OMG / Kamaal Dhamaal Maalamaal?
Reviews please!
Old 30th September 2012, 00:32   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Just came after Watching, Oh my God.

Awesome movie, It indeed changed my prospective towards God. Paresh rawal is amazing in his role.

Go watch it and I am sure you will come out with a smile on your face

My rating- 4 out of 5.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 30th September 2012, 19:40   #2096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well I dont think Pritam ever did or can compose anything but what I like is that because of him we get listen to tunes most of us would never have

For me he is more like a Music Arranger than a Music Composer. You get to listen to the best of world music adapted for Indian Tastes
Theres a very interesting documentary called Good Copy Bad Copy. If you feel inspired enough do watch it. Its a lot about the whole business of getting "inspired", as our composers say, and the ethical/social/legal issues with it. This "getting inspired" is becoming very rampant all over the world actually! There are lot of people who support it, and argue that it actually helps create more things which is kind of true. An interesting analogy is, if paint were freely available we'd have lot more artists in the world!!!

This documentary is freely available by the way. I think it was created by the owners of thepiratebay.

Last edited by joslicx : 30th September 2012 at 19:43.
Old 1st October 2012, 09:00   #2097
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Any of you guys watched OMG ? Reviews please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Just came after Watching, Oh my God.
Well took the plunge after reading your review! Its a good movie. Actually I looked at my watch in amazement, thinking how did the interval come up so soon! But it was already a hour since the movie had started. Paresh Rawal's acting is excellent.
My rating-3.5/5
Old 1st October 2012, 09:09   #2098
BHPian

OMG - Awesome movie. Enjoyed throughout. Paresh Rawal as usual is very good.
Old 1st October 2012, 09:21   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Watched Oh My God over the weekend. Highly recommended It is in and out a Paresh Rawal movie. But special kudos to Mithun Chakraborty and Govind Namdev for giving excellent portrayal of the God men. We were laughing hysterically at the expressions they both delivered. Akshay Kumar was more like a guest appearance character.

Overall a 4/5 from my side.

Side thought, Bollywood is really on a roll this year with good story based movies
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:53   #2100
BANNED

OMG is a must watch movie. Paresh was his usual excellent self with very sensibly restrained comedy. After the RR fiasco, Akshay too was brilliant and the plot, very well directed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks