Old 8th June 2012, 15:32   #1996
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Am excited about Shanghai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
A trailer of Shanghai was shown when I watched RR. It didnt look too impressive.

Entire atmospher is dark and gloomy and not sure but,
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I feel Emraan hashmi is going to kill it with Shanghai ! This could be the role that changes his life !
I am also waiting for '' Shanghai'' as major part of it is filmed in Baramati, my city.
Old 9th June 2012, 15:31   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Watched Shanghai yesterday night.

The story is one that has been done to death in numerous movies in Bollywood - politician + builder + cops nexus - displacing the helpless middle / lower class people in the name of development. Bumping off the opposition ..

But the way Shanghai has been directed is what makes it stand apart from those movies. A cast that is in zingy form - except Kalki (who is an expert at psycho roles) who is giving Kangana a run for her money .

Emraan Hashmi - takes a de-glamourised role this time and does full justice to it with his mannerisms and acting.

Abhay Deol as a Tamilian is very very good too specially where his goodness is forced to take a backseat to his ambitions.

Paritosh and Supriya Pathak are 1st class.

Presanjit as the activist against the people in power is smoldering.

Farouque Shaikh takes the cake and the cherry in the movie as far as acting honours are concerned. He is SUPERB - each nuance / expression is perfect.

2 songs in the movie and no prizes for guessing which one comes out tops - the frenzied dancing to "Bharat Mata ki Jai" adds to the appeal.

Cinematography is dark and gritty throughout complemented beautifully by the back ground score - a rarity in Hindi cinema.

And last;y - Dibakar Banerjee - as the director never lets go of the plot - his vision is clear and the results show.

There are negatives as well - the supporters of people in power are forever in a state of frenzy and the pace of the movie is slow but you wait for what is unfolding on the screen and a few delicious twists add to the thrill.

Verdict - 4/5. Not a path breaking story but is a must watch.
Old 10th June 2012, 14:46   #1998
Senior - BHPian

Probably "Sion Koliwada" would have been a more apt title

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Watched Shanghai yesterday night.

The story is one that has been done to death in numerous movies in Bollywood - politician + builder + cops nexus - displacing the helpless middle / lower class people in the name of development. Bumping off the opposition ..
Old 10th June 2012, 15:26   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Normally, I hate movies and find that expenditure of going to multiplex, etc. pure waste of time and money. But Rowdy Rathore is a good movie with a real taste of what India needs. Corruption, crime is covered well along with honest police officer.

Sense of humor is also included which actually makes the movie better than Singham ( which was pure violence ) and Dabang ( overacting by Salman ).

End of the day, its a 1 time watch. But I rate it better than over optimistic movies like 3 idiots, tare zameen par.

My rating would be 2.5/5.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 10th June 2012 at 15:31.
Old 10th June 2012, 21:01   #2000
BHPian

Saw two movies this weekend.
Shanghai – This movie should not be watched for its story. In fact there is no story as such. What makes this movie worth watching is the acting/direction/setting. Dibakar banerjee has done a brilliant job as a director. Acting was perfect all around. I was never a fan of Emraan Hashmi but he has proved in this movie that he can act well (and dance well too). His role of a Jodhpuri was played to perfection. One thing I was not able to digest in the movie was its ending. I will not disclose it but those who have seen it – were you convinced by the ending? This movie is definitely worth watching once.

Rowdy Rathore – Everyone told me not to watch this movie. Even I did not want to watch this movie but when your family members say they need to watch you really cannot say anything. There is hardly anything in this movie to watch. There are some scenes where you can find some humour but there is absolutely no coherence in the story. Random things happen, random action sequences. I really hated Sonakshi – She was just terrible – too much overacting. One positive that I took from this movie was that Akshay Kumar can still do action flicks. For a long period Akshay kumar has just been doing comedies and I would really like to see him do an action movie.

P.S - I saw both of these movies at FAME. I really want to ask different people - What are the rates for Popcorn/Cold drinks at FAME/INOX/CINEMAX. Although I can afford it, don't you think that these multiplexes are charging exorbitant rates for these? Are you guys comfortable paying so much or am I the only one surprised at such high rates?

Last edited by Saanil : 10th June 2012 at 21:02.
Old 11th June 2012, 21:48   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Although I can afford it, don't you think that these multiplexes are charging exorbitant rates for these? Are you guys comfortable paying so much or am I the only one surprised at such high rates?
I will simply term it as 'loot'. Last time when I went with my friends to watch Rowdy Rathore, our expenditure on so called snacks was almost double the price of tickets.

Last edited by bluevolt : 11th June 2012 at 22:11.
Old 11th June 2012, 21:59   #2002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I will simply term it as 'loot'. Last time when I went with my friends to watch Rowdy Rathore, our expenditure on so called snacks was double the price of tickets.
They should introduce the bucket concept for pop-corn.

Here in Cinemark theaters, you initially buy a bucket for $6 that has 1 refill free and a bucket that you can reuse for whole year. For every fill you do, you pay $3. Much better than paying $7.50 for pop corn each time. You can use this bucket in any Cinemark theaters USA-wide. With summer here, we will be watching plenty of movies, so we decided to get one. It is very useful and a little VFM. You still have to get the Soda(Coke) but you can always get the 500 ml in purse and drink it. Or ignore the Soda and drink water. The best option.

If they can introduce something like that, it would be good for consumers and sellers.
Old 12th June 2012, 19:02   #2003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
End of the day, its a 1 time watch. But I rate it better than over optimistic movies like 3 idiots, tare zameen par.
: I am very very surprised with that any one would even compare RR to Tara Zameen Par.. I would guess you are big fan of Black.

Last edited by bblost : 12th June 2012 at 19:08. Reason: extra smiley removed. please refer forum rules. thanks.
Old 16th June 2012, 18:09   #2004
BHPian

Ferrari Ki Sawaari

Nice movie. This movie is for all cricket fans and tells the story of a struggling father helping his son become a cricket star.

I guess the car used is Sachin Tendular's Ferrari because this was mentioned in the movie credits.

I will give 4/5.
Old 17th June 2012, 08:15   #2005
Senior - BHPian

Ferrari ki Sawari.

A very nice family movie. Loved the grand father - father - son relationship shown. It covers all the aspect of a good cinema that is love, fun, dreams, tears and other stuff.

The ferrari 360 modena has good screen time. It sounds great. But what starts as an Italia demand turns to 360 modena. It can be easily forgiven. Obviously there is a little bit of leeway taken by director but it does happen so its ok.

Songs are ok. The movie would have been even more impactful had the songs be superhit. Some are good some are bad. Vidya Balan's appearance is not needed but considering the star power she has right now with Kahani and Dirty Picture in her kitty we can understand the director wanting her for the song.

The stars of the movie are the trimurti of the film without which it won't have made such an impact. Superb acting by Bomen Irani and Sharman Joshi. Class act by both ably supported by the child and coach.

Bad things about movie? Pace is slow. It picks up, drop, picks up. Ending is a little melodramatic and full on Bollywoodish style. Could use some star power. Songs are nothing to write home about.

Overall a must watch.

4/5
Old 17th June 2012, 09:52   #2006
Senior - BHPian

Watched Ferrari ki Sawaari last night.

It's a nice movie to be watched with family. Nice performance by Sharman Joshi. It's great to see the that good movies can be made with not so popular faces in the Bollywood. Boman Irani is at it's best. Paresh Rawal did well too. Of course others including child artist, Coach, Sachin's guard and assistant etc.

But IMO something was missing from the movie, don't know what!

Songs were poor, nothing to write about them. I don't think such movies requires item numbers.

This movie will definitely remind you of 'Iqbal' staring shreyas talpade which was also based on cricket and struggle.

Don't expect it to be like 3 Idiots - It was class apart.

Rating 4/5

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th June 2012 at 09:53.
Old 17th June 2012, 14:20   #2007
BHPian

Ferrari ki Sawaari
Nice one time watch movie. Cannot be even compared to 3 Idiots.

Can become a bit loud at times due to one noisy cast member in particular - 360 Modena!
Old 18th June 2012, 12:02   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
P.S - I saw both of these movies at FAME. I really want to ask different people - What are the rates for Popcorn/Cold drinks at FAME/INOX/CINEMAX. Although I can afford it, don't you think that these multiplexes are charging exorbitant rates for these? Are you guys comfortable paying so much or am I the only one surprised at such high rates?
The Popcorn and snacks are the things on which the theatre/multiplex owners make their money. I'm not completely sure about the numbers but the agreement with the movie distributors is such that around 90% of the income from the movie in the first week goes to the movie producers, around 75% from the second week. It is only if the movie runs for more than 3 weeks that the multiplex owners get back their money on the movie. And there are very few movies these days that run packed houses for money than a couple of weeks. This is the reason, the multiplex owners try to earn money from other sources like the popcorn, cold drinks etc.
Old 18th June 2012, 22:05   #2009
Senior - BHPian

Chaalis Chaurasi (4084)

A story about 4 small time delinquents, a drug dealer, a pimp, a car thief and a former English professor-cum-crooked seth's assistant, who plan to rob a bungalow of its cache of fake notes. With a stellar cast of Naseeruddin Shah, Atul Kulkarni, Kay Kay Menon , the movie begins on a very promising note. Ravi Kissen is surprisingly competent too!
However, as it progresses, the director loses some of his grip on the plot, with the ending not really to my liking.
However, its a nice one time watch, but it had so much more potential.
Rating : 2.5/5

Last edited by sajo : 18th June 2012 at 22:07.
Old 18th June 2012, 22:48   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Err.... no the fake notes are sold off by the Haryanavis. The tranche is all original currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Chaalis Chaurasi (4084)

A story about 4 small time delinquents, a drug dealer, a pimp, a car thief and a former English professor-cum-crooked seth's assistant, who plan to rob a bungalow of its cache of fake notes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks