Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2012, 10:33   #1906
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Movie: Pan Singh Tomar

Review: I never knew about this character until I saw its trailers on television. In fact all my friends did not know about Pan Singh before watching this movie. I think the main motive of this movie is to make people aware that such a person existed. The movie is a project of Tigmanshu Dhulia, the one who made Sahib Biwi aur Gangster and Shagird. Many actors who were casted in Sahib Biwi aur Gangster were also found in this movie. But since this movie is about one person, it’s Irfan khan that stands out during the entire movie. Acting all around was brilliant; location/setting was relevant to the movie. Another thing I liked about the movie was its dialogues. I am not sure whether it is the local language in Chambal but it suited the movie. Kudos to the actors who must have rehearsed quite hard to get their dialogues right.

Now the problem with this movie is there is not much content to play around with it. First half of the movie was good with a general introduction of Pan Singh’s life and his qualities. The second half was a bit stretched and could have been made a bit shorter. This movie is definitely worth watching once.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:10   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Tere Naal Pyar Ho Gaya

A rom-com on the lines of Jab We Met and likes. A pretty good, well made movie. The chemistry between RD and GD is awesome. RD underplays it while Genelia over plays it a little. They pretty much look great together and compliment each other very well. The location is nice, songs are ok-ok. The story is pretty straight forward and laughs are quite a bit throughout the movie.

Overall a one time watch for the 'jodi', their chemistry and good laughs.

3.5/5.

Jodi Breakers

Starts of as a pretty interesting concept, but then it gets just another Bollywood movie. Been there done that kinda thing. Bipasha song is nice. Some really boring moments in between. Nothing special and once you leave the theater, chances are you will forget everything and may carry only the Bipasha song with you. Madhvan doesn't look like an actor. Looks very ordinary, has gained weight and pretty much looks ugly especially when showed with pretty women like Bipasha, Dipannita and Helen. Helen looks and acts great for her age. Milind Soman is usual himself, a little wooden with good looks. Bipasha brings oomph to the movie. Somebody please tell the 3-idiot guy to stop acting the same in all movies. It gets irritating after a while.

Overall, watch if you have nothing else to do.

2.5/5.
Old 10th March 2012, 09:08   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Kahaani - awesome script and writing, brilliant acting and some delicious twists - a thriller that grips you and never lets go till the pulsating climax. Super stuff. Must watch.

Vidya Balan is amazing once again. The other support cast is in superb form too. The cinematography - specially shots of Kolkatta are very good.

Verdict - 4/5. Must watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ek deewana tha trailers look sad, I see no hope for this one in Bollywood.
Guess my instincts were right this time.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 10th March 2012 at 09:11.
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 12:53   #1909
BHPian

Saw Kahani yesterday, and what a movie man!!!! I could not belive that bollywood can make such a thriller, great twists till the last scene, and if you miss a minute you miss a link,

Rating 4.75/5.

A must watch for movie lovers.
Old 12th March 2012, 13:00   #1910
Team-BHP Support

Saw Kahaani and loved it - especially the bong characters. Even with the limited understanding I have of Kolkatta & Bengali people, I could relate with the mannerisms and characterization of most characters.

The only disappointment for me was the character - Khan. He could have done so much more, and perhaps a less crude version of him would have made more sense. Anyways, it was more than compensated with the LIC agent's acting. Loved it.

Ekla chalo re was very well rendered, and so was the Kolkatta song.

PS: Aamir Khan would be worried. Immense pressure on him to better Kahaani with Talaash, which looks like a movie in the same genre. Can't wait !!
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 13:19   #1911
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Kahaani" starring Vidya Balan

It was one of the most engrossing and exceptionally well made film in many years. There are many directors who experimented with dark thrillers and failed miserably. This movie will just grip you by the throat and will not let go till final credits roll on.

Vidya Balan arrives in a bustling and dirty looking Kolkatta from London in search of her missing husband. But, as she slowly starts her search. Not everything is what it seems.

Vidya Balan delivers another sucker punch after her previous hit. She was marvellous and perfect for that role

Cop who assists her was very nice. Solid, Silent type and acted well and supported her ably

Khan, IB agent was excellent in his potrayal of callous and cold agent with sole aim of protecting our country's interest. He was a bit uncouth in his behaviour but, arent most law and enforcement officers like that?

And, what hit me in belly was the outstanding selection of the most unusual contract killer's character. What a potrayal. He was simply awesome.

Hero of this movie is the exceptional cinematography ( If he doesnt win an award then awards are sure-shot rigged) which centers around the pulsating Kolkatta city and its lifestyle with the quintessential durga pooja as a back-drop

Heroine of this movie is the tightly woven script that will keep you engrossed till the end. We need such out-of-the box scripts more often in Bollywood

Overall, for people who enjoy good cinema this movie is like well wrapped gift which can be relished more than a few times just for the cinematography, its quirk characteristation and almost perfect acting by each character.

Welcome to new-age cinema !!!

5/5
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 15:44   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
PS: Aamir Khan would be worried. Immense pressure on him to better Kahaani with Talaash, which looks like a movie in the same genre. Can't wait !!
I am yet yo watch Kahani, will try later this evening perhaps. However, from the promos of it, Talaash looks like a remake of The Bourne Identity.
And I hope to be wronged by Aamir Khan!

Last edited by avingodb : 12th March 2012 at 15:44. Reason: typo
Old 12th March 2012, 19:01   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I am yet yo watch Kahani, will try later this evening perhaps. However, from the promos of it, Talaash looks like a remake of The Bourne Identity.
Talaash looks more like the TV series Dexter.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:18   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I thought Agent Vinod looked like one of those bourne series movie!! And I don't have any hope from Saif and who is his girl friend actress who could do everything else but act? Jeez!
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 23:12   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely LOVED Kahaani. I can't remember the last grippy movie in a very very long time. 5/5 is an understatement. Of course, the ending was hindi movie-ish but such is life.
Old 13th March 2012, 01:37   #1916
Senior - BHPian

KAHAANI- Ohh my ............I'm loving Vidya Balan like anything!! Knew that I'm going to watch a gud movie while entering the theatre for Kahaani but never thought its gonna be this exciting. Like Dirty Picture, this is Vidya's film and she stole the show. The story is of about a 6 months pregnent woman coming to Calcutta from London in search of her missing husband. Vidya carried the film on her shoulders and succeeded in it. I won't be surprised if she bags the national award next year also! Another gud actor who should be praised is Parambrata Chatterjee. He was very impressive in conveying even the slightest emotions effectively. The whole casting part was perfect. BGM is excellent. Cinematography is gud and felt real. Sujoy Ghosh has made an awesome thriller with lots of unexpected twists and turns. The script is almost flawless. There was a bit of lag somewhere in the 1st half, 2nd half is thrilling and the climax.....wow!! I'd suggest this movie to not just serious movie lovers but for everyone 'co even if someone finds the movie lagging and boring, I'm sure that he'll surely stand up and clap for the climax scenes! This is one of the BESTest climax I've seen.
My Rating- 9/10. Must Watch!

Last edited by Anand123 : 13th March 2012 at 01:41.
Old 13th March 2012, 22:31   #1917
BHPian

That was some awesome acting and narration through out the 2 hours. It just gripped me all along. Vidya is simply charming and superb. With no other mainstream faces the film solely is supported by her. Kudos to that.. A feat rarely matched by bollywood actresses of present. And the climax - WOW..!
Why am I not giving it 10/10? Only because I am giving it 9/10.
This movie will run so much just because of the word of mouth...+ I think next major release is a couple of weeks away..
Old 14th March 2012, 10:44   #1918
BHPian

Watched
1. Kahani: Mindblowing thriller - Bollywood turns a new leaf. Forget abt good acting. The story and Kolkata grips you. In fact, you connect the dots even after the movie ends. Awesome! 10/10
2. Paan Singh Tomar: Again good story of an untold hero. How an army man-athlete turns into a baaghi. Superb acting by Irrfan, but best part is the script and dialogues. Must watch. In the end you feel saddened to know there were many such gold medallist who died penniless. 9/10
Old 14th March 2012, 16:41   #1919
BHPian

I always feel there are certain movies which Hollywood can copy from Bollywood.

Kahani is definitely one among them. A gripping story with nice twists. There is nothing stereotype in this movie and what nice presentation of the city of joy and yes absolutely loved the climax.

All these for Rs 100 per ticket in the newly open multiplex in Park Square Mall, ITPL.

My Rating: 5/5

Pan Singh Tomar:

A decent movie. Good story. Excellent acting by Irrfan Khan. Well supported by other actors.

The jokes what they made in the movie are known to 80% Indians, like hey i m not relaxing, I m xyz Singh !!! Could have been avoided. The second half stretches a little. Go watch it for Irrfan Khan.

Rating: 3.5/5
Old 14th March 2012, 17:35   #1920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
2. Paan Singh Tomar: Again good story of an untold hero. How an army man-athlete turns into a baaghi. Superb acting by Irrfan, but best part is the script and dialogues. Must watch. In the end you feel saddened to know there were many such gold medallist who died penniless. 9/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Pan Singh Tomar:

A decent movie. Good story. Excellent acting by Irrfan Khan. Well supported by other actors.

The jokes what they made in the movie are known to 80% Indians, like hey i m not relaxing, I m xyz Singh !!! Could have been avoided. The second half stretches a little. Go watch it for Irrfan Khan.

Rating: 3.5/5
If you are a runner, you'll get most of the jokes. Especially when in the beginning the Irfan Khan comments on seeing the interviewer's paunch "Start running 4Kms from tomorrow". This is a common joke amongst runners which the director did well to show the temperament of the protagonist. Mind you once an athlete, always an athlete.

Its a good movie depicting the sorry state of affairs on the sports front. Hope things improve!

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks