Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2011, 01:19   #1801
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

Rockstar -

The movie started off well, and that's the only good thing about the movie apart from Ranbir's performance.

Story and execution was poor, the second half can really test your patience. Cinematography was good and consistent throughout.

The Mozart was at his best in this film, the tickets are worth just for the songs and the instrumentals.

Watch it just for A. R. Rahman!!
Old 12th November 2011, 16:59   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Just came back from Rockstar.
The movie had one of the best openings ever. And the music continued to play a central role throughout the movie.
The editing of the movie was also different and could take one by surprise. So dont go watching this movie expecting it to be another run of the mill Bollywood fare. The quick editing between scenes tells a story in itself, like a couple of scenes where they show him looking at his old house, to indicate that even with all the fame he still longs for his home.
So, the movie often demands your full attention. Except when Nargis Khan is in the frame. She is the weakest link, so to speak. She can not act, can not emote and is not even very pretty.
I think i can give this movie another watch.

Of course, RK has established himself as an actor with tons of talent.

Amitoj
PS: Looks like i am going soft on Bollywood these days! LOL.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 03:58   #1803
BHPian

Just back after watching Rockstar

The movie flies off briskly with good humor. You can make it in the first 10-15 minutes that it is going to be a cracker of a movie. And it is, actually.

First half comprises of humor, plot building and making of a Rockstar. Second half is a bit bland or serious, but I never felt it like being dragged.

Ranbir shines throughout the movie. From the very first scene till the end, he's just excellent. He can sure beat all the bollywood biggies black and blue after this performance. I am pretty much sure of him sweeping all the trophies in major awards ceremonies for this year!

Nargis is pretty hot but she was a bit flat at times if we talk of acting alone.

Plot is perfect. Direction is superb. Music and A.R. Rehman needs no introduction. And cinematography deserves a solid .

Everything is so crisp about this movie. I think this is a classic one-off case of bollywood coming of age. Like, in my list of favorites I will put it as equivalent to movies like Rang de Basanti, Rock-On!, Dil Chahta hai.

I am not into movies much but this one is really worth it. Trust me. If not for anything else, watch it for Ranbir Kapoor's phenomenal performance. You would never blame me for suggesting it.

Overall rating : 4.5/5

Last edited by Shivank : 13th November 2011 at 04:01.
Old 13th November 2011, 10:37   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian

Rockstar:
please go and watch this!!
not your typical hindi flick.
this is a masterpiece of execution!
people may find the storyline jittery, but that staggering of the timelines-back and present- is what makes it so engrossing!
No social message or anything, just the story of one man.

Just to demonstrate how much of a detail oriented thing this is, ALL of ranbir's songs are sung by the same singer...just one!
i believe its mohit chauhan.
and it works quite well, although a harder voice would have been better, but again, when was the last time this happened?
udit narayan, nitin mukesh and bappida singing songs for the same hero in the same movie!!

watch it with full attention on the screen, cos every second in this movie is intricate...you may miss out on some subtle message if you miss.

oh, and the song everyone is humming, its the most irrelevant one in the movie.
good song, but was not needed, and the situation to have it in the movie seemed like an"adjustment".
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 12:23   #1805
BHPian

Watched Rockstar yesterday.

Sure RK and Music are the high point and then thats all.

The back and forth editing didn't excite me. I guess the maker had to edit a lot of frames from the original shoot, for one or many reason, which led to a product which seems not baked completely.

The second half dragged on and on.

And that Nargis girl has an amazing plastic face. Absolutely no change in Expressions.

2.5/ 5 IMHO.
ritzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 00:01   #1806
BHPian

Movie - Rockstar

*Spoiler Alert*
Review - I am surprised to see people actually liking this movie. Probably I was expecting too much from the movie. Imtiaz Ali is one of my favourite directors - I have enjoyed all his movies till now - Socha na tha, Jab we Met and Love Aaj Kal. But this Rockstar is a huge disappointment. Still cannot believe that Imtiaz Ali has directed it. The story itself is a huge let down. The Nargis actor - Simply terrible. Casting gone horribly wrong. The first half is sort of bearable but the 2nd half is simply atrocious. How can you end a movie like that? What was the point of the entire movie? - That in order to be a star you need to be sad and heartbroken? The actress seemed mad from the beginning of the movie. Ranbir goes crazy in the 2nd half too - probably because he missed Nargis too much. I get that but the way it is shown in the movie is terrible. Heroine suffers from a life threatening disease but Hey - here comes Ranbir kapoor and she gets alright - though for some time only.

Ranbir's rise to popularity is not shown properly. He sings well and all of a sudden he becomes a huge hit! Also his falling reputation was not shown properly. This could have been one good movie but it was not planned well. As far as the music is concerned which people have appreciated a lot, I liked only one song - Sadda Haq. Just goes to prove that even if the music is good, a bad movie can make the music sound bad too. Ranbir was pretty average for me - his acting looked overacting to me at many instances. I think the only movie where his acting has been perfect is - Rocket Singh. This is one movie in which his acting was brilliant.

Anyways this movie ruined my weekend. There are other good options to watch - Tintin/Immortals. I would recommend people not to waste their money on this movie.

Last edited by Eddy : 14th November 2011 at 15:04. Reason: Added spoiler alert
Saanil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 20:59   #1807
Senior - BHPian

what i don't understand, of all the places why does they go to Czech republic for a concert. That place seems so out of place for concert.

Prague is usually shown in action movies of Hollywood with Eastern Bloc, coldwar theme.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:23   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
what i don't understand, of all the places why does they go to Czech republic for a concert. That place seems so out of place for concert.

Prague is usually shown in action movies of Hollywood with Eastern Bloc, coldwar theme.
Scene locations and shoots go by how deep the producers pockets are, and the producers whims and fancies.

Surprising isn't it that Mani Ratnam has rarely shot outside of india.
Old 15th November 2011, 00:12   #1809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

Maybe because Nargis Fakhri is half Czech?

Rockstar: I think I'll repeat what others have said - Super music, interesting concept and a stretched second half.... Still a very watchable film.
Old 15th November 2011, 00:40   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Just finished watching "Quick Gun MURUGUN"
Starring Dr. Rajendra Prasad as QGM & Nasser as "Rice Plate Reddy"

Highly recommended I say.
Must watch for its resplendent colorful characters, tight storyline and fast action sequences that inspired the action directors of the MI and Matrix series. Mind it.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 09:49   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Saw Stanley Ka Dabba the other day. Absolutely loved it. Its on the lines of Taare Zameen Par.

Loved everyone's acting in it - especially Amole Gupte! What a gem of an actor and has proved himself to be a gem with his direction and story writing skills. IMHO, Bollywood needs more like him and Farhan Akhtar.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:11   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Saw Stanley Ka Dabba the other day. Absolutely loved it. Its on the lines of Taare Zameen Par.

Loved everyone's acting in it - especially Amole Gupte! What a gem of an actor and has proved himself to be a gem with his direction and story writing skills. IMHO, Bollywood needs more like him and Farhan Akhtar.
Stanley ka Dabba is not even comparable to TZP. I found the movie (SKD) absolutely pointless.

Rohan
Old 15th November 2011, 14:53   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Rockstar - it's a somewhere in between movie. The passion between RK and NF doesn't come across that strong...agreed about her marital status and all, still.

The soundtrack disappoints - absolutely. The songs of angst and pent up anger that RK is supposedly singing don't register strong enough. RK tries lip sync manfullly - but I don't know ..maybe Mohit Chauhan with that silky smooth voice of his just couldn't come across as singing these songs !!

Imtiaz Ali needs to change his story telling,

First movie - boy girl meet , both are in love elsewhere , realise they are in love and run away

Second Movie - Boy in depression & girl running away from family, girl has BF but later realises she loves the hero.

Third Movie - boy girl in love, break up but can't get over each other even though the girl gets married elsewhere.

Fourth Movie - boy girl enjoy, fall in love but girl marries else where only to realise she loves someone else..they guy who was only a friend suddenly realises he loves the married girl

Last edited by normally_crazy : 15th November 2011 at 14:55.
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 15:12   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The soundtrack disappoints - absolutely. The songs of angst and pent up anger that RK is supposedly singing don't register strong enough. RK tries lip sync manfullly - but I don't know ..maybe Mohit Chauhan with that silky smooth voice of his just couldn't come across as singing these songs !!
Thought I am the only person who did not like Rockstar songs. My friends reccomended and bought audio CD of rockstar and did not like at all. I thought songs may grow on me after repeated listening like few other ARR works but no result. May be I will start liking it after watching the movie, is it worth watching?
Old 15th November 2011, 16:08   #1815
BHPian

Watched Rockstar last Saturday. Absolutely loved it. Great performance by Ranbir and great music by Rehman. Intense love story, Imtiaz Ali once again proved his exceptional talent. I can't get the songs out of head - very strong lyrics!

It's not a typical Bollywood movie with a hero, heroin, their families and, the villain. And that's best thing- Indian cinema is coming of an age!!

Last edited by kanwal : 15th November 2011 at 16:09.

Most Viewed