Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2022, 15:26   #4111
BHPian

Re: The Hindi Movies Thread

PS1 (Ponniyin Selvan: I) in Hindi
Rating 1/5

I watched it for some 30 mins, tried hard to understand what's happening. Got bored and left it. The direction, story telling, characters, so called comedy in those 30 mins was so disoriented.

Bimbisara(Hindi)
Rating 2/5
Typical masala flick, nothing stands out, or you remember post watching it.

I don't understand how these movies are top rated by critics and user reviews

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th December 2022 at 23:51. Reason: No spoilers please. Thanks.
Old 6th December 2022, 15:01   #4112
Senior - BHPian

PS1 (Hindi) was such a terrible movie.
I find it hard to believe that this movie is a huge hit in Tamil.
The story seems interesting, but the screenplay, direction and music are all rubbish.
I find it even harder to believe that this is directed by Mani Ratnam, and the music is by Ar Rahman. After trying really hard, I could not finish the movie, gave up after finishing little more than half, was unbearable. I was watching the movie with my wife, she gave up much before me, after the initial 30-40 mins.
Rating -0/5

Freddy is a decent watch, and kudos to Kartik Aryan for trying something different.
The story was fairly predictable, after the initial twist. However, it is still a decent one-time watch, as it keeps you mostly engrossed (I got a bit bored just before the climax, as it became more and more predictable). The performances by the lead actors are good- both Kartik and Alaya have done a good job.
Rating - 2.5/5
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 15:42   #4113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
PS1 (Hindi) was such a terrible movie.
I find it hard to believe that this movie is a huge hit in Tamil.
The story seems interesting, but the screenplay, direction and music are all rubbish.
I find it even harder to believe that this is directed by Mani Ratnam, and the music is by Ar Rahman. After trying really hard, I could not finish the movie, gave up after finishing little more than half, was unbearable. I was watching the movie with my wife, she gave up much before me, after the initial 30-40 mins.
Rating -0/5
Oh, god. Now I won't be able to finish at all.

I prepared so much, to be able to watch this movie. I had real commitment. When early reviews said there are too many characters, I hit upon a wicked plan. I bought all the 5 books in the PS series and read them all over 3-4 weeks.

The Hindi Movies Thread-pxl_20221206_100057112.jpg

By this time PS-1 was available on Prime. However, when I started watching the movie, I found it hard to focus. I kept switching between different audio languages, hoping it will get better. Not really.

The story was written 70 years ago about events that probably happened 1000 years ago. The dialogs in the book are very long. Something that could be said in two sentences, usually takes 3 pages. When they tried to convert this into screenplay, they totally missed the bus. The dialogs are neither here nor there, and sounds very cheesy.

I have managed to reach 45% of the movie after 5-6 sessions. I still don't know if I will complete it. It was lot easier to read 5 books of PS, but the movie is really testing me.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 16:30   #4114
BHPian

Watched Goodbye on Netflix yesterday,

Rating: 4/5
It has everything I expected while going into it. The topic (the final goodbye) is a very "touchy", sensitive topic which we usually avoid (even knowing that it is a certainty).
Acting is spot on. Big B never cease to amaze with his sincerity and rootedness into the character (has a nice long monologue, with close up camera that shows the nuances of his acting skills). Sunil Grover has a small but impact role. All the supporting star cast is good as well.

Only two issues - First one is the start of the movie. Certain scenes were a put-off as there was no link to how the characters (sons) were shown in the movie as it progresses (probably introduced to keep it slightly lighter in mood, but, who orders butter chicken when someone you are closed to is gone?).
2nd - Rashmika had a noticeable accent that clearly shows she is not comfortable with Hindi. It felt forced and impacted her acting fluency.

It's hard to hold back your tears many a times throughout the movie. A nice watch

P.S. The song towards the end (Jai Kaal Mahakaal by Amit Triwedi) touches you deep.

P.S. 1 (pun Intended) - I agree. It is not a good movie. The story line felt engaging but the execution was all over the place. Acting was too over the top (and not stylish enough to let it go as well). Maybe the 2nd part would gather it up and redeem.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 20:30   #4115
Team-BHP Support

QALA on Netflix.

The TRIGGER WARNINGS on the movie are there for a reason.

Overall a very decent and watchable movie. The actors have done a good job and the movie continues in a slow burn state from the start to the end.

The music is the crowning jewel of this movie. I absolutely loved all the tracks and they are my current play list.

This is the sort of movie that would have never gotten any theatrical success. But OTT provides it just the right form of delivery.
bblost is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 19:03   #4116
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Ram Setu

Acting was poor, the VFX was horrible and some scenes didn't make sense. Also, is it a norm to have a song in every movie even when it's not required?

Rating - 1/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Akshay Kumar wraps up a movie in 2 to 3 months apparently.
Have learnt this the hard way = don't ever waste your time on twilight movies of ageing actors. They're just doing it in a desperate attempt to remain relevant, cash in and make some money. Much like Kimi Raikkonen & Sebastian Vettel in their evening years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Watched Goodbye on Netflix yesterday,

Rating: 4/5
Thank you. Been craving a good Hindi movie, but all the recent stuff has been crap. Added to watchlist.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 08:03   #4117
Team-BHP Support

Watched Doctor G since it's now out on Netflix.

A decent one time watch with the family; light hearted and peppered with social messages on and off.

3.5/5
Old 15th December 2022, 08:42   #4118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Watched Doctor G since it's now out on Netflix.

A decent one time watch with the family; light hearted and peppered with social messages on and off.

3.5/5
I found this movie very hammy and boring.

In real life the character of Ayushman would be arrested and lose his medical license.
His character development was pathetic and the screenplay very shoddy.

https://www.livelaw.in/top-stories/s...-sc-898-213075

This case is a very good example of POSCO and why not reporting it, is a very serious crime.

The whitewashed nature of this crime seriously riled me up so much and hence my extreme reaction to this movie.
bblost is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 09:58   #4119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I was looking forward to it because it has got largely good reviews during its theatre run.

Quote:
In real life the character of Ayushman would be arrested and lose his medical license.
Well, it is reality, isn't it.

Quote:
Agree. More so, I think he's got typecast into such roles. I enjoyed Sheeba Chadha's role the most.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 10:41   #4120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
QALA on Netflix
Thanks for your recommendation

The premise seems Sur meets Whiplash. Not sure how it compares.

Sur (2002) is a good watch with excellent songs.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 12:35   #4121
Team-BHP Support

This is a very sweet and nice movie. Kumud Mishra is brilliant and ably supported by others. Kid and family friendly movie.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 22:52   #4122
BHPian

GOVINDA NAAM MERA on Hotstar
No Spoilers.
Murder-mystery. Very good performances by the leads and supporting cast. The murder angle and humor initially gives a feel of this movie going the 'Monica O My Darling' way, but then it takes a deviation and becomes way too predictable. An above average watch at best.

Ram Setu on Prime
This movie had such a good premise, but this is a good example of a wasted opportunity. Just like Ayushman's Anek a few months ago. Half-cooked story, bad acting and a useless song added to the mix, this movie has very few engaging scenes.
Akshay Kumar clearly seems to be entering into a Nicolas Cage/Bruce Willis/Mithun mode who are willing to accept, act, and wrap quickly any movie that comes across them. Someone tries to up the VFX game with Brahmastra and then movies like these appear to pull those standards back to Bal Veer levels. Understandably, not every movie can match the scale of Brahmastra, but with the budget and star cast involved here, we deserve better than these type of gimmicks.

The Hindi Movies Thread-ram-setu-1.png

The Hindi Movies Thread-ram-setu-2.png

Some B grade movies from a decade or two ago have better sets and production value than this one. Your building's swimming pool will have more waves than in the ocean shown in this movie.

I love the adventure/treasure hunt movies and this is another misfire from Bollywood. I guess we will have to wait for the upcoming Rajamouli-Mahesh Babu to get a good Indian film in that genre. And the audacity to make this Available on Rent on Prime. Please skip this mockery or wait till it is free.
AnnaRocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 23:23   #4123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
Some B grade movies from a decade or two ago have better sets and production value than this one. Your building's swimming pool will have more waves than in the ocean shown in this movie.

I love the adventure/treasure hunt movies and this is another misfire from Bollywood. I guess we will have to wait for the upcoming Rajamouli-Mahesh Babu to get a good Indian film in that genre. And the audacirime. Please skip
20 years ago I went for a movie (first day first show), Jaani Dushman, and I cursed myself after watching it (I took a day off from office to watch it you know). Few years later, while browsing channels, I came across the move once again (on Zee), and watched till end . This became habit and never missed whenever I came across it on TV. I even made some gen Z crowd to watch it (who were unaware of this cult classic).

warning: reading its star cast will make you faint.

Does Ram Setu come anywhere close to Jaani Dushman?

Last edited by Latheesh : 16th December 2022 at 23:29.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 00:02   #4124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a very sweet and nice movie. Kumud Mishra is brilliant and ably supported by others. Kid and family friendly movie.
Super movie, tender and sweet but only one sore point- Kumud Mishra could well have avoided making those weird faces while talking, the story would have been equally impactful without it as well. Everyone acted almost perfectly in this wonderful little gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
20 years ago I went for a movie (first day first show), Jaani Dushman, and I cursed myself after watching it (I took a day off from office to watch it you know).
I actually know how you felt after the end of the movie but despite all the curses that you gave yourself, salutations reserved for you for finishing that ham fest of a movie !! And that you have the courage to watch it again

I watched the trailer of the movie while watching some another movie back then in the theater and one look at Sonu Nigam and it was all over for me ! The original movie was still watchable to a certain extent at least !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 17th December 2022 at 00:14.
Old 17th December 2022, 07:29   #4125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

https://www.livelaw.in/top-stories/s...-sc-898-213075

This case is a very good example of POSCO and why not reporting it, is a very serious crime.

The whitewashed nature of this crime seriously riled me up so much and hence my extreme reaction to this movie.
I was also curious about this movie since its release and watched it yesterday. But it was an underwhelming experience to say the least. Even if you keep aside the cinematic liberties, the story line was absolutely wafer thin, and the teenage pregnancy angle looked forced, with no back story build up whatsoever. In fact, in comparison to his usual effervescence, even Ayushman looked like he was sleepwalking through his character, with as much enthusiasm as his character shows for "Gyaene" over his preferred "Ortho". I also felt Shefali Shah's acting was a bit too uptight as if she were shooting this and Delhi Crimes back to back. In contrast, Rakul Preet and Sheeba Chadha (always underrated) showed very good shades of emotion through their roles. This movie should have been better written. The premise was interesting, if not palatable to the general audience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks