Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2018, 13:01   #3316
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Made a bit of an outrageous buy

Omega Seamaster Commander's Watch Limited Edition.

This actually becomes my fourth acquisition this year after three simple watches. (A Tissot, Casio Edifice & a Fossil Watch)

I will let the pictures do the talking.

Hi,

Could you PM me the price you got this for. I am in process of making a similar purchase from ethos.
Old 21st February 2018, 13:18   #3317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Arindamji, Do Gnomon watches deliver in India ? Their website doesn't list India as one of the countries they deliver to.
Yes they do deliver to India even though the website does not list India as one of the countries eligible for free shipping. Got this confirmed when I had emailed them earlier. Only thing is, there will be a nominal shipping charge to India unlike to the other listed countries for which international shipping is free.
Old 21st February 2018, 14:12   #3318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Yes they do deliver to India even though the website does not list India as one of the countries eligible for free shipping. Got this confirmed when I had emailed them earlier. Only thing is, there will be a nominal shipping charge to India unlike to the other listed countries for which international shipping is free.
Thanks a lot. I am looking at a few options from their site. Let's see whether anything fructifies.....
Old 21st February 2018, 15:08   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
Thanks a lot. I am looking at a few options from their site. Let's see whether anything fructifies.....
Oh nice. Which brands and models are you looking at? Let us know how your experience dealing with Gnomon Watches is. They are supposed to be pretty good and one of the largest retailers in Asia.
Old 21st February 2018, 15:31   #3320
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this information, how about the duty that you paid to customs?
Old 21st February 2018, 16:02   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Thanks for this information, how about the duty that you paid to customs?
I have not personally done any business with them, but know of friends who have. Duties will be imposed by Indian customs authorities at the point of entry of the watch into India. The amount is anyone's guess, because it depends on the customs officer who is evaluating the package. But yes, there is definitely a customs duty payable when importing from a foreign country.
Old 21st February 2018, 17:38   #3322
BHPian

Steinhart is a good choice, Quality made time pieces. By chance I am wearing my OVM 1.0 today and have Titanium on Order currently from Germany. Hoping to get it on my wrist sometime in April.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-steinhart.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2018, 08:58   #3323
BHPian

Quote:
I have not personally done any business with them, but know of friends who have. Duties will be imposed by Indian customs authorities at the point of entry of the watch into India. The amount is anyone's guess, because it depends on the customs officer who is evaluating the package. But yes, there is definitely a customs duty payable when importing from a foreign country.
Right now, the customs have got pretty hard on the packages coming from outside. Most of folks I know, who have got their watches delivered from abroad have got hit in tune of 41% of the invoiced / package insured value.
Old 7th March 2018, 11:31   #3324
Senior - BHPian

A couple of recent additions, both second-hand pieces:

1. Citizen Eco-Drive BM-6400: My first solar-powered watch.

Which watch do you own?-img_20180307_09534901.jpeg

Thick canvas band and bold dial. Wears surprisingly large on my average-sized (7.25inch) wrist though "only" 41mm (oh no ...what are the full-dialed 45's gonna look like!!!???)... I actually bought it with my father-in-law in mind, planning to gift it to him. Finely knurled screw-down crown for 200m WR, and very bright lume, Tritium I guess. Very nice finish on the stainless case. A good-looking, highly legible (thus practical) watch that will hopefully require zero-servicing for years to come.

2. Wenger (Victorinox/Swiss Army) 72619 Titanium diver.

Which watch do you own?-img_20180307_10155801.jpeg

This one's only 100m resistant (not that I'm going to be diving at all), and despite being 42mm has a more modestly-sized look on the wrist vs. the Citizen. Great looking, very lightweight yet sturdy.

More to come...

Eric
Old 7th March 2018, 11:41   #3325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
This one's only 100m resistant (not that I'm going to be diving at all), and despite being 42mm has a more modestly-sized look on the wrist vs. the Citizen. Great looking, very lightweight yet sturdy.

More to come...

Eric
Simple reason why dive watches often wear smaller is because of the bezel on dive watches which are typically more pronounced and therefore, appears to make the actual crustal and dial face look smaller. In your case as well, the Citizen has a much thinner bezel therefore making the watch face appear much larger than the one on the Wenger.

Technically, the Wenger would not be classified as a diver, just a water resistant watch. A divers watch would need to conform to a whole host of certifications and standards (I think its ISO 6425 standards). But nice looking watch, that one. The titanium must make it really light on the wrist.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 7th March 2018 at 11:44.
Old 7th March 2018, 11:50   #3326
Senior - BHPian

I have ordered the Parnis Asia 6497. This will be my first try at a cheap Chinese mechanical watch. But at around 3.5k INR I dont see it as a risk.
Old 7th March 2018, 11:57   #3327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple reason why dive watches often wear smaller is because of the bezel on dive watches which are typically more pronounced and therefore, appears to make the actual crustal and dial face look smaller....the Wenger would not be classified as a diver, just a water resistant watch. A divers watch would need to conform to a whole host of certifications and standards (I think its ISO 6425 standards). But nice looking watch, that one. The titanium must make it really light on the wrist.
You're right on both counts. I had been thinking the Citizen's bezel was pretty large itself... thus was surprised to discover the actual case size. Wish I had a pic of these side-by-side, it's pretty striking.

In the case of ISO standards you're speaking of certified dive watches, which even a lot of commercially-available 200m watches are not. The Wenger could viably be referred to as a "Sport Diver" like a lot of vintage Seiko's etc which were 100m resistant and typically had some of the diver styling cues. And some people did/still do use them for recreational diving, within limits.

Thanks,
-Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I have ordered the Parnis Asia 6497. This will be my first try at a cheap Chinese mechanical watch. But at around 3.5k INR I dont see it as a risk.
Nice-looking watch and low-risk for sure. Seems the Chinese incl. some of the China-made fashion-brands (Fossil, Kenneth Cole, Skaagen, etc) actually have come up with some of the more compelling designs vs. the traditional Swiss/Jap brands.

Some say the Seagull mechanical movements are pretty solid, and there's ever-increasing interest in and acceptance of Chinese watches. Someday they'll probably be every bit as good as the (earlier disregarded) Japanese eventually became.

I'm just wondering whether the makers are going to make the spare parts widely available in the watch-markets of Asia (India in particular). I can get quite a lot of new stuff for vintage Seiko/Citizen mechanical watches here, but have serious doubts about availability for the Chinese units... one hope being that they might've copied whichever Jap/Swiss design well enough that those parts would interchange. Otherwise, what are you gonna do if the balance-staff breaks or the stem snaps off? Easy on the Jap brands.

-Eric

Last edited by navin : 7th March 2018 at 12:52.
Old 7th March 2018, 12:36   #3328
Distinguished - BHPian

Its simple eric. You just buy a newer chinese watch. With chinese things you dont fix them. You replace them. Thats why the purchase cost is so low.
Old 7th March 2018, 13:08   #3329
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Seiko discontinued SARB033/035/017 series.
Old 7th March 2018, 14:35   #3330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Looks like Seiko discontinued SARB033/035/017 series.
Thats right. I picked up both the Alpinist (SARB 017) and the SARB 033 just a couple of months back, though I had no idea the lines were to be discontinued. The rumour is that they will come back in slightly altered variations but not as the SARB range, but as possibly part of the Presage range.

Of course, the factor behind this seems to be that the higher end 6R15 Seiko movement was being offered in newer watches at much higher price points (USD 600 and above) while these models were being sold at the 350-450 USD range. Hence, commercially was not viable for Seiko.

Real pity, these being discontinued. They are stellar watches for the price. The fit and finish, as well as the movement, are simply outstanding. Not to mention the 38 mm case size, which is really hard to come by these days.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 7th March 2018 at 14:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks