Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2006, 04:38   #406
Senior - BHPian

My 90 paise (that's about 2 cents):

1. Can we please have newbies/anyone NOT have their whole name in CAPITAL letters? Someone has just signed on with the names of TWO BIG CITIES. And it hurts my eyes to read it, what with caps being shouting in netiquette and all...

2. I think this has been brought up before. We need a sticky with all Indian cars, past and present, and their vital stats, as provided by manufacturer, and one or two magazines as well. A sort of ready-reckoner.
Old 8th December 2006, 09:31   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
300 home page visits in a minute (during rush hour) results in a lot of server processing power (CPU and RAM) for something that is really not that much value adding.
I understand how much load a CPU & RAM take but my point is that a query is already being fired on the home page to generate the Who's Online list. All that needs to be done is that the query can sort everything alphabetically when it fetches the list. So there will be absolutely no extra load on the CPU and RAM.

My above reply is based on an assumption that the Who's Online list is being fetched from a database. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 8th December 2006, 10:15   #408
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All that needs to be done is that the query can sort everything alphabetically when it fetches the list. So there will be absolutely no extra load on the CPU and RAM.
You would be surprised to know how much more load the alphabetical list entails.

@Vip3r : I changed the username you were complaining about. Have made a note on your second suggestion.
Old 8th December 2006, 10:33   #409
Senior - BHPian

I disagree but will live with it for now.
Old 8th December 2006, 10:40   #410
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I disagree but will live with it for now.
Well, you do not have the statistics that I have access to. And I am sure that the vbulletin programmers know their software better than either of us do. This was done on their recommendation.
Old 8th December 2006, 11:00   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
the query can sort everything alphabetically when it fetches the list. So there will be absolutely no extra load on the CPU and RAM.

My above reply is based on an assumption that the Who's Online list is being fetched from a database. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Vikram_d,

Since the members list is not sorted alphabetically, it is sorted in chronological order of logins (if i am not mistaken), hence my guess is that as a new user logs on his/her name is appended to the online list...and therefore saves some processing power by not inserting it alphabetically.
I agree that IF designed correctly it could be much more efficient....but as GTO said, the vbulletin software team knows a lot more about vbull than we do, so this was our best option.

cya
R
Old 8th December 2006, 11:12   #412
Senior - BHPian

What about having " COMPARE CARS".

In the combo box, the user will select the cars he wanted compare. Tech specs/gen specs of both cars needs to be displayed side by side. Also we can provide links to every term like bhp, torque etc. Upon clicking the same it needs to search & filter out threads releated to it. Also at the bottom we can provide a link " USER REVIEWS" where we can point out to long term reviews by our own members.
Old 8th December 2006, 14:46   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@Vip3r : I changed the username you were complaining about. Have made a note on your second suggestion.
Thanks, GTO.
Old 9th December 2006, 17:05   #414
Senior - BHPian

before the site got upgraded i was not able to access t-bhp from my cell
( SE p910 i ) some java page problem used to pop up but that problm got solved a week ago, dont know how ,now i am able to access it and can check out the threads n all but......

when i try to log in the following msg appears

``in order to accept POST request originating from this domain ,the admin must add this domain to the whitelist``

is it a problem with my cell or something else ?

regards
faithless

p.s- if this has already been discussed earlier then mods pls ignore this post , and if it has then can anyone give me the link to the post/thread

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 9th December 2006 at 17:18.
Old 9th December 2006, 17:37   #415
BHPian

there is this one unusual problem that i faced..
it goes like this ,before the site got upgraded...my number of posts were some whre near 35+...but afterwards it has reduced to 16+.....
well i m not in a race for posts...
but i would really like to know whats the cause for this...

P.S.if this thing has already been discussed than plzz ignore this post and can someone give me the link of the post/thread
Old 9th December 2006, 22:45   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
before the site got upgraded i was not able to access t-bhp from my cell
( SE p910 i ) some java page problem used to pop up but that problm got solved a week ago, dont know how ,now i am able to access it and can check out the threads n all but......

when i try to log in the following msg appears

``in order to accept POST request originating from this domain ,the admin must add this domain to the whitelist``

is it a problem with my cell or something else ?

regards
faithless
I can access it without any problem on P910i. What browser are you using? I use Opera Mini and its working.
Old 9th December 2006, 23:02   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_aryan4411 View Post
there is this one unusual problem that i faced..
it goes like this ,before the site got upgraded...my number of posts were some whre near 35+...but afterwards it has reduced to 16+.....
well i m not in a race for posts...
but i would really like to know whats the cause for this...

P.S.if this thing has already been discussed than plzz ignore this post and can someone give me the link of the post/thread
posts in the intro section dont count anymore buddy.!

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 9th December 2006 at 23:04.
Old 9th December 2006, 23:50   #418
Senior - BHPian

@ rohitbagai- i just go to the internet section ,then open page after that when i try to sign in, the above written statement appears, theres no software installed in my cell.
and i am using hutch gprs.
Old 10th December 2006, 07:51   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

From a member's public profile page, I do not see any link to view his garage.

Has this been disabled?

If this has been discussed, pls ignore - but after giving the link to the discussion :-)
Old 10th December 2006, 11:53   #420
Senior - BHPian

@condor links to garage are present on members public profile page of only those people who have some pics in the garage,while for ones whose garage is empty you dont get the links,atleast that is what is happening in my case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks