Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2020, 09:45   #5236
Senior - BHPian

Re: FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Any work-around to cover the Tag temporarily so that it isn't read by the scanner at certain tolls?
If the tag is pasted on some easily removable base, you just need to remove the tag and wrap a sheet of aluminium foil around it.

There's no workaround if the tag is fixed permanently and you'll certainly require a new tag in that case.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:06   #5237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of cochin View Post
Could you explain why you dont want the Fastag to be read by scanners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Pretty much every toll booth has an exemption for residents within a certain radius; this is how it is implemented.
My vehicle's registration is MH-14 and that area extends from Pune till Lonavla. So technically I don't have to pay toll on the old Mumbai Pune highway till Lonavla section as it is a local vehicle. However the toll gate operators have to be told each and every time that it is a MH-14 registered vehicle and exempt from Toll.
Thank you all for your suggestions. The aluminium foil cover with a removable base needs to be worked on.
adi.mariner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:12   #5238
BHPian

Quote:
However the toll gate operators have to be told each and every time that it is a MH-14 registered vehicle and exempt from Toll.
Thank you all for your suggestions.
There was a toggle button in Paytm Fastag section to Activate / Inactivate as per user convenience. Not sure whether it is still there in the App. There might be similar functionality in other Fastags to keep it inactive. Just try that way.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:58   #5239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Might be a noob question, but is it compulsory to stick the Fastag Sticker on the windshield? Can I just paste it on a piece of paper/plastic and show it at the hand held scanner on the highway tolls? This is because I don't need to pay toll at some toll plazas.
If you are exempted from certain tolls, then the FT system will automatically be updated with those exemptions, and you will not be charged. I have the same benefits at 2 local plazas.

There is no surefire way of ensuring the tag won't be read unless you wrap it in tinfoil and store it deep in your glovebox.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:37   #5240
BHPian

An innovation by the cops-

Fines for road traffic violations to be deducted from FASTag accounts.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le32958648.ece
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:49   #5241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My vehicle's registration is MH-14 and that area extends from Pune till Lonavla. So technically I don't have to pay toll on the old Mumbai Pune highway till Lonavla section as it is a local vehicle.
Is there such a blanket exemption for vehicles with certain registrations? Sounds a bit improbable. Could you please share a press report / official notification stating this?
Old 28th October 2020, 18:17   #5242
Senior - BHPian

Any idea why the tag doesn't work on both the pole mounted sensor and the hand held sensor? The tag was working perfectly fine for the past 1 year and had used in the same toll booth atleast 1 month before.

Had an embarrassing situation the other day when we were asked to pay toll in cash despite having a balance of over ₹1000. We fought with them and they let us go. But no toll was deducted from our account. The windshield was clean too.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:03   #5243
BHPian

Quote:
Is there such a blanket exemption for vehicles with certain registrations? Sounds a bit improbable. Could you please share a press report / official notification stating this?
I am not aware about any official notification for such blanket exemptions. However have been seeing other vehicles do it as well. Sometimes the toll gate operators open the gates just by looking at the number plate and you don't have to state the same. I have also seen Kolhapur registered vehicles get exemption at the Highway toll in Kolhapur.
Old 28th October 2020, 20:12   #5244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not aware about any official notification for such blanket exemptions. However have been seeing other vehicles do it as well. Sometimes the toll gate operators open the gates just by looking at the number plate and you don't have to state the same. I have also seen Kolhapur registered vehicles get exemption at the Highway toll in Kolhapur.
There is certainly a provision for proximity exemption. But it is not specific to any registration sequence as far as I'm aware. When I had applied for one I had to produce residence proof showing I lived within the covered area. My neighbours with even out-of-state vehicles got that exemption sorted out (OMR, Chennai).

What you are seeing is more likely people having pasted their exemption documentation on the windshield itself.

Also a quick Google search threw up this:

https://www.latestly.com/social-vira...s-1451302.html

It is not a site I've come across in the past, so take its advice with usual caveats of Internet-sourced information.
Old 28th October 2020, 20:31   #5245
BHPian

Quote:
What you are seeing is more likely people having pasted their exemption documentation on the windshield itself.
This is certainly possible. I must have missed the same.
Old 28th October 2020, 22:25   #5246
BHPian

Finally Fastag enabled at Airoli toll, Mumbai. It was a superfast experience ! Passed it on my way to hospital around 7:30pm. Will check Mulund Toll, eastern Express highway sometime later, presume it's gone live there too.
Attached Thumbnails
FASTag: All you need to know about procuring & using it!-img_20201028_203416.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2020, 09:34   #5247
BHPian

Good Morning everyone, I recently bought a new car, the fast tag was not given by the show room guys during the delivery. Is there anyway I can get a fast tag based on VIN No as I have to travel in a week, I won't get registration number before a month and I don't want to get stuck in the cash lane as there will be at least 6 toll booths on my way
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:44   #5248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
Is there anyway I can get a fast tag based on VIN No as I have to travel in a week, I won't get registration number before a month and I don't want to get stuck in the cash lane as there will be at least 6 toll booths on my way
As far as I remember, it's not possible to get the Fastag without the registration number.
Old 2nd November 2020, 09:47   #5249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by midazolam View Post
I recently bought a new car, the fast tag was not given by the show room guys during the delivery. Is there anyway I can get a fast tag based on VIN No
That is illegal. You have to reach out to the showroom folks and apply persuasion techniques.

Anyway when I bought my car I had a special number requirement which materialised only a month later; Paytm was quite happy to activate the Fastag on the VIN alone. In fact in my Paytm account the car is still (2 years later) listed under the VIN; I never informed them about the number allotment.

Last edited by binand : 2nd November 2020 at 09:50.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:03   #5250
BHPian

What is the nearest place in Mumbai to get ICICI Fastag from a toll booth? Unfortunately i need a replacement tag and a trip is coming up soon so have been advised to have it picked up from NHAI toll location as the online process will take 10 working days.

The nearest location seems to be Khalapur toll as per ICICI Bank website. Do they have ICICI agent sitting at Sealink by any chance now that Fastag is accepted there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks